Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW8: Book festivals and birthdays

Robin M

Hah, I just discovered something cool on goodreads - if you click on the "Friends" icon you can click on the blue phrase "Books my friends are reading" and see a nice list all in one place! How fun. I know you see this on your feed, but not altogether and coherent like this. I apologize in advance for cluttering up the page by reading 12 books at once. That's just how I roll.  :lol:

• Like 19

So, I've been waiting sooo long for the fourth book in The Shadow of the Wind series, and now that I'm starting it, I realize that I've forgotten some important details from the last book (I think it was Prisoner of Heaven in English?)  I have looked and looked and looked all over the internet for a summary or plot synopsis that actually includes details, but they're all more promotional blurbs (bla bla happens and then you'll find out what happens next!)  Gaaah.  I need the spoilers!   :glare:

So, looks like I'm re-reading Prisoner of Heaven first.  Unlike the 4th book, it's reasonably short at least....  Overdrive had it available, and even in Spanish.  Yay, Overdrive!

• Like 15

Hah, I just discovered something cool on goodreads - if you click on the "Friends" icon you can click on the blue phrase "Books my friends are reading" and see a nice list all in one place! How fun. I know you see this on your feed, but not altogether and coherent like this. I apologize in advance for cluttering up the page by reading 12 books at once. That's just how I roll.  :lol:

That should inspire me to keep my "currently reading" up to date! I have a lovely non-fiction book, Meadowland, that is has been listed as "currently reading" for a year now! 

And I need to mentally match more goodreads user names with BaW names as I'm not entirely sure who everyone is (and I only have a whopping 11 goodreads friends, lol!)

• Like 17

Stacia, are you ready for the Oscars? :D

The Goodreads blog has a short post about nominated movies that are book adaptations. It's unusual for me to have seen any, let alone two nominated films, but I saw both Hidden Figures and Arrival. I read Hidden Figures and am currently reading the collection of stories that has the one Arrival was based on. I didn't get to that story yet.

https://www.goodreads.com/blog/show/829-get-ready-for-the-oscars-with-these-best-picture-adaptations

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 16

So, as I mentioned up thread, I finished Doctor Zhivago.  I had thought I might pull some quotes out of it to discuss, but of course I didn't mark them and now I'm too lazy to go back and find them.  Someone here mentioned keeping a Commonplace book, or something like that?  Is that what that's for?  I don't tend to be an annotator or a quote-keeper, but as I'm reading so much more, I'm actually finding I think I might want to start writing thoughts or quotes down as I read... anyone do this?  I'd be interested in both the how and the why..

I have a Commonplace Book. I use a regular composition book (mine has multi-colored polka dots on the cover). I keep it near me when I'm reading and just jot down quotes or questions as I go.

Ethyl, Since I seem to be having luck finding series books I have wanted to read but couldn't locate could I have the name of the bird watching mysteries you enjoyed last year. I would like to try to locate them again.

Jan Dunlap is one author. Her books are fun, quick reads. Steve Burrows is another author.

Who was doing a "reading the shelf" project? Was it Raifta?

I have been feeling really scattered with my reading since the beginning of the year and also a little dissatisfied, since so much of it seems to just be a carryover from last year (or earlier). I was walking Abby to sleep earlier today, though, and I got to looking at a few of my shelves that have degenerated into sort of random overflow stacks. I have 4 that might actually provide enough variety to work in a shelf-reading project. (Plus I think I could actually hit almost all the Bingo squares. Lol) But I was wondering, do you start at one end (or at the top of a pile) and work your way down, or do you just choose randomly off the shelf?

Because I don't have enough books that I'm already reading, I ordered a copy of The Shelf: From LEQ to LES, Adventures in Extreme Reading.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Extreme reading must be contagious. I just ordered a copy of The Shelf. I think I should disable the one-click Amazon button. Or maybe not ...

I finished The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead.

I think I'll finish Spark and then find something uplifting.

I am truly amazed at those of you who have read 20+ books already. Where are you finding the time?

I have a chronic illness, so I have more reading time than most. It's the one thing I can do, so when my family goes out birding, I sit in a nice shady place and read. I also bring a book or an e-reader with me everywhere I go. DS is getting more independent in his school work, so I also get more of my reading done. I'd get even more reading done if I also wasn't spending a whole lot of time reading news articles on the computer.

I have a silly question - Are you all hooked up on Goodreads? I found one of us because she posted about being on Goodreads. I like receiving Goodreads notices when I cannot log in here to catch up with the thread.

My goodreads link is in my signature.

Butter - I loved your daughter's video! 

A one day only early science fiction book currently free to Kindle readers ~

The Wonder by J. D. Beresford

"A fascinating forerunner of modern science fiction: The mind-bending story of a prodigy in Edwardian England

Born to a famous cricket player, Victor Stott is a giant-headed, awkward boy who never cries or says a word. At first, he is branded an idiot, but as he grows up it becomes apparent that Victor possesses a superior intelligence. He can master any language, memorize entire libraries—perhaps even control people with his mind. As word of his otherworldly gifts spreads, so too do fears of what he might be capable of.

First published in 1911 and considered to be the first novel about a superman, The Wonder is a masterpiece of speculative fiction and a compelling portrait of what it means to be extraordinary."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 12

I have a silly question - Are you all hooked up on Goodreads? I found one of us because she posted about being on Goodreads. I like receiving Goodreads notices when I cannot log in here to catch up with the thread.

I'm on there.  I think the link to me is https://www.goodreads.com/mamaduk

Thank you, everyone, for the kind words about Ani's video.  Just making and planning her channel has really helped her so much.  It's been a rough time, so it's wonderful to see her so excited.

• Like 12

I am truly amazed at those of you who have read 20+ books already. Where are you finding the time?

Seasons of life.

My son is 19, finished homeschooling, and rarely needs mama's help anymore. :(

I don't work outside the home. 

Dh works an odd schedule that sometimes has him sleeping during the day. It's hard to make yourself go to sleep in the middle of the day, so I'm always trying to tiptoe around the house (he closes the bedroom door but sound carries in our house). I read a lot when he's sleeping because it's a quiet activity. 

I listen to audio books when I'm working around the house, which gives a boost to my number of books "read". 

• Like 16

Are there more "likes" available than there used to be? I was able to like more than 50 posts just now. Anyway...

I am almost done with Grisham's The Chamber. At about 700 pages, it seems meatier than most Grisham books. I still don't know the outcome of the main plot even though I am close to finishing. It's about a character who is on death row, and just like all the last-minute appeals, this book makes me feel like we're really down to the wire because I'm so close to the end and still can't figure out what's going to happen. I'm reluctant to finish because I'm enjoying the anticipation of the ending so much.

I think a record is being set here.  It is only February and I am going to say that I have finished another five star book:  A General Theory of Oblivion by Jose Eduardo Agualusa, translated from the Portuguese by Daniel Hahn.  This book was hiding in the dusties when I was in my reading malaise. So glad it surfaced and now I wish that I had pulled it when Stacia was raving about it.  This is a book that others might enjoy. Oh Rose (i.e. Chrysalis), should I send it to you?

I was wondering what I would read next. A thanks to you for reminding me of Stacia's review; I just pulled A General Theory of Oblivion off the shelf.

Oh, and I ran into this neat Literature Map that purports to find authors that are similar in style to authors you enjoy.  It might have been mentioned here before, but the kids and I are enjoying using it to find authors they want to try.

Fun! Thank you. I often have many unread books lying around so I'm rarely trying to find alike authors, but DH is a much faster reader than I am so he's always wondering.

I'm still enjoying Niall Ferguson's Civilization on audio, and just started Shirley Jackson's We Have Always Lived in the Castle. Many of you read it and talked about it last year, so I'm a little late the to the party. I'm only a chapter into the book and I'm already drawn into the story.  I was traumatized at a young age by The Lottery, so have always been leery of reading anything of Jackson's, but too many rave reviews of this book convinced me to try it. 

I also avoided Shirley Jackson after being scarred by The Lottery in high school. (Are high school English teachers secretly sadists?) I'm one of those who read We Have Always Lived in the Castle last year and would like to hear what you think when you're done.

So, I'm going to try Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson.   :laugh:

I read it when it came out so it's been a while, but it's a fun book. There are a few dystopian things I found depressing, but I enjoyed the writing.

Maybe one of these days I'll pick up the first HP book.

Do it!

I have never read Murder on the Orient Express, either. Truth be told, I don't think I have ever read an Agatha Christie. Which is why it is slated for my Mystery Bingo square. I have a number of can't-believe-I-never-read-that books on my bingo card.

I finally read it last year because I got tired of saying I hadn't. I'm a slow reader and I finished it in an evening.

I finished The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead.

:grouphug:  I know a lot of people struggled with this book and I hope you are okay. The last ~25 pages were so difficult!

• Like 15

I recently finished Mechanique by Genevieve Valentine. A circus with mysterious mechanical humans and a ringmaster with a special gift have their stories revealed through alternating 1st and 3rd person accounts. I enjoyed reading it, probably because it was not based on real places or times. Some lists have it as steampunk, but I feel like that is a bit of a stretch. It is earth, maybe North America. It is modern enough to know it is not Victorian, like a lot of steam punk; but it is analog, not digital. Do an abundance of copper tubing and gears, used in unusual ways, make a story steampunk? There isn't any steam, and there are modern fueled vehicles. The setting is a post apocalyptic dystopian landscape, decimated by war. As the story progresses, conflict between the personalities in the circus and danger from local government creates an intense ending.

My 17yo tells me there is "deisel punk." I have not looked into this claim or what it means.

Edited by Onceuponatime
  • Like 14

Yep, I'm reading through my second shelf.  I usually just start at one end and then go to the other rather than picking and choosing.  The theory being that picking and choosing is what causes me to overlook the same books time and again so by forcing myself to read through them in order, they will finally get read.  

That being said, I've hit a section where I have 4 E.M. Forster books in a row (this is actually a common problem with lots of my shelves - 8 Austen, 10 Orwell, 5 Cather etc) so I am giving myself permission to intersperse each Forster with the next one on the shelf.  Partially because I think that I will actually remember the Forsters better if I don't read them all right in a row and partially out of fear of getting bored with one writing style.

That is actually a good idea. I also keep skipping books just sitting there. 

I'm often not sure who's who on Goodreads unless you have the same name, same avatar, or I just read a post here about what you're reading and then I see it in my feed on GR. :)

Here's my GR link. I also updated my signature and added the link there. 

Perhaps I should change my username to match the one here. 

I admit that I don't use the "currently reading" feature. I just add a book when I'm done. Should I start? 

I also read "The Lottery" in high school but I loved it. Absolutely loved it. I also loved "The Most Dangerous Game" read the same year. What does that say about me as a teenager? Wise beyond my years? I'll go with that. ;) 

Edited by Mom-ninja.
  • Like 16

Everyone who hasn't read Harry Potter yet, the series will be highlighted during Fantasy June since it marks the 20th anniversary of the release of the first book.  

Commonplace books - I don't keep a journal dedicated to book quotes, but have a notebook always available to write down quotes at the time it strikes me.  If I don't write down immediately the who, what, why, by the time I've finished the book, the epiphany or image or thought has disappeared. So underline, highlight, put a yellow sticky with what thought on the page or use a notebook, but do it immediately upon insight.  

Sadly, I won't be watching the Oscars as all the award shows are no longer about entertainment and all feel the need to express their political views.  :svengo:

I just want to be entertained, not preached at.  However, I will be checking out the fashions on the celebrity sites.  Have to get my celebrity fix somehow.     :lol:

If someone already mentioned the Nebula Award nominees for 2016, forgive me.  N.K. Jemisin is in my stacks

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 13

Perhaps I should change my username to match the one here. 

I still kinda miss when you were Kleine Hexe... that was you, wasn't it? :)

I admit that I don't use the "currently reading" feature. I just add a book when I'm done. Should I start? 

YES!  I love the "currently reading" feature, and I get a charge out of updating my progress (sorry, Goodreads friends who might well not give a flying leap that I've finished 10% more of X book...)  But it makes me feel like I've accomplished something and encourages me to keep at it... :)  

I'll admit I also like seeing what others are currently reading.

• Like 17

I read some of The Shadow of the Wind books years ago. I read the first one & liked it fairly well, though it got a bit darker/more gothic than I liked in a few parts. I never read the second one. Years later, I read the 3rd one & really enjoyed it. The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my favorite books, so the 3rd book (Prisoner of Heaven?) was good because it's an homage to The Count of Monte Cristo. 

The second book was quite a bit different - the events took place previous to the first book and followed a different main character, David Martín.  As you know, he does show up in the third book, but the events don't line up because...

***spoilers for anyone who hasn't read the third book yet*************

Large parts of the 2nd book take place only in the mind of Martín.  I kept wondering why the second book had so many overtly supernatural elements when the first might have been a bit gothic, but didn't have things way outside the laws of reality happen.  Turns out Martín is an unreliable narrator and is not playing with a full deck (he has a brain tumor). It becomes clear in the third book that things did not happen at all the way he described (although parts do follow reality).

I'm not sure if I realized there's a 4th one???

It has just come out in Spanish in Europe only, and still only in hardcover.  I could only get it at imported book places.  It was too pricey at the foreign book store (like $68! :svengo:) But I was able to get it for about $30 from a UK seller on Amazon - tried book depository first, but they lied about having copies so I had to cancel the order and reorder from another supplier...   :glare:   I'm guessing the title translation will be Labyrinth of the Spirits.  When I saw it at the foreign language book shop, I coveted it and couldn't wait till it came out here...   ;)

From the reviews, the book is a satisfying conclusion to the story, and continues with the main characters of Daniel, Fermín et al.  Which is why I have to remember some of the details of Book 3!

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 13

Here I am on Goodreads... at least I hope the link works... https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/2942569.Angela_Boord

I should probably change my currently reading books, too. But every time I say I'm currently reading a book it practically guarantees that I'll never finish it, so I've become a little superstitious about never adding a book to that shelf!

ETA: I should note that my profile picture is also hopelessly out of date. The baby I am holding there is now 9 years old!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelaboord
  • Like 16

ETA: I should note that my profile picture is also hopelessly out of date. The baby I am holding there is now 9 years old!

When I went to figure out what the link to me was I discovered I still lived in Maryland according to my GoodReads profile.  We've been in Texas almost 4 years lol

Edited by Butter
  • Like 12

I have never read Murder on the Orient Express, either. Truth be told, I don't think I have ever read an Agatha Christie. Which is why it is slated for my Mystery Bingo square. I have a number of can't-believe-I-never-read-that books on my bingo card.

I love the Bingo card and this list.  I've already tried a number of books that I never would have read otherwise.  I also have a number of books that I can't believe I haven't read that I would like to read this year.

• Like 10

I keep losing my quoted replies. It might have something to do with trying to quote too many at once. I'm going to break it up, and will probably forget some of the posts I wanted to reply to. Ah well. 

I read My Cousin Rachel - 2 Stars - My daughter told me that the movie version of this book is coming out soon. The trailer looked good and so I decided to read it first. I really wanted to like this but I did not. The protagonist was stupid to the point where the reader starts to find him irritating to say the least. I’ve read “Rebecca†and loved that. Although this wasn’t nearly as good, I’d still like to read some of Du Maurier’s other books.

I read this years ago and hated it. It had an interesting premise but by the end of the book I almost wanted to throw it across the room! Glad to know I'm not the only one who wasn't enchanted. Have you read The House on the Strand ? I liked that one a lot - there is time travel involved - maybe you'll like it, too? 

I've read most of DuMaurier's books multiple times. Many of the stories are frustrating in some way. They are what I would call atmospherically oppressive.The main characters are rarely happy, things rarely turn out well. They are great if you are young, idealistic, and like an excuse to wallow in helpless emotion. 😜 I guess you would call it psychological fiction, exploring themes of addiction, codependence, narcissism, suicide, etc. In the last 15 years I find that I no longer enjoy reading them, but I still think they are well written. I agree that the House on the Strand is a good read, fascinating because of the time travel angle, but still very much DuMaurier.

The only DuMaurier I ever read is Rebecca, and I found it very frustrating. I always meant to read more of her novels but just never got around to it. I probably never will. I'm not surprised that they're all frustrating in some way.

I don't see anyone saying they have picked up Come as You Are.  :toetap05:   I want you all to know that it's not a drive. No such thing as a sex drive. What? I know! I was baffled as well. We have been misled and misinformed. Disconcordance is a real thing. Want to know more? Yes, you do.  

I was hoping my library had the Kindle edition. They don't. That means I either have to buy it from Amazon or request the print copy. And the print copy means going to pick it up at a library branch where the employees all know me by name.  :blushing:

T

Meanwhile, I am 75% done with Doctor Zhivago.

Hey, I just finished Doctor Zhivago last night! :)  How are you liking it?  Do you think you'll bother reading the poetry at the end?  I had good intentions, but I think I'm going to skip it.  

I have no idea why I never read Doctor Zhivago. For one thing, I like Russian literature. For another, I watched the movie a number of times as an older teen and young adult. Larissa/Lara spent years at or near the top of my list of names for a daughter. 

• Like 14

Welcome, Happy! I hope you'll stick around and join the conversation when you can.

Kareni - I've been meaning to thank you for all those links you post. I don't usually respond but many times you've linked to a free/cheap mystery or classic and I've either purchased it, borrowed it from the library, or at least put it on my TR list. Your efforts aren't wasted.

My kids listened to the Wizard of Oz before they watched the movie, so they were too busy fuming about how it didn't follow the book.

And then her little brother discovered audio books and listened to all the Harry Potter books except the last two so many times that we all practically memorized bits and pieces of them. So now the only way I can think of HP is in that narrator's voice.

Not book related but remember your preschooler/toddler's cute mispronunciations? Ds used to say The Lizard of Oz. "Can we watch The Lizard of Oz movie?" :lol:    

That would be Jim Dale.  :001_wub:   He narrated The Night Circus as well. 

We've listened to the series many, many times. It's our standard for when we travel long distance by car. I've heard people say they prefer Stephen Fry's narration (he narrated the UK audio books) but we all love Jim Dale. 

Finished The Coroner's Lunch by Colin Cotterill - I listened to this as an audiobook and I don't really know how it ended up on my to-read list because I don't see that anyone here has read it yet.  It was wonderful!  I think it difficult for cozy mysteries to be five star reads because they normally aren't that deep but this one was just splendid.  It was set in Laos in 1975.  The characters were awesome.  The dialog witty. A bit of magical realism that was fun.  I can't wait to read the next one. 

You should add The Coroners Lunch to your to-read list.  There was a few times during reading it that I thought "Sandy should read this!". 

Another one added to my list. 

I didn't read Agatha Christie or many of the classic British mystery books until I was older. The odd thing is they are what my then BF relaxed with. I think it was because she checked them out of the library which made them cumbersome to share. I simply never bothered. I read my mom's easily accessible romance novels and took lots of lit classes!

I didn't read any Christie until I was older either, even though I've always loved mysteries. When I was in my late twenties I had a roommate who was a big Agatha Christie fan. Until then I though only old ladies read her books. Thanks to that roommate I finally started reading the Queen of Crime's books.

I read my fifth book in the Royal Spyness series, "Naughty in Nice." Like all the others, I really love it. I really enjoy the narrator on the audio book. I would definitely read this series in order. The development of the characters builds in each book.

I'm about to start this one. I love listening to this series. It's my flufferton.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 13

Penguin, Matryoshka, and anyone else who read Doctor Zhivago in English, what translation did you choose? I read Pevear and Volkhonsky's translations of Anna Karenina and War and Peace, and found both very readable. However, it sounds like they didn't do so well with Doctor Zhivago.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2010/nov/06/doctor-zhivago-boris-pasternak-translation

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/reviews/doctor-zhivago-by-boris-pasternak-trans-richard-pevear-and-larissa-volokhonsky-2171911.html

• Like 12

Kareni - I've been meaning to thank you for all those links you post. I don't usually respond but many times you've linked to a free/cheap mystery or classic and I've either purchased it, borrowed it from the library, or at least put it on my TR list. Your efforts aren't wasted.

That's good to hear, Kathy!  I shall continue to post away with abandon.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 16

Hey, I just finished Doctor Zhivago last night! :)  How are you liking it?  Do you think you'll bother reading the poetry at the end?  I had good intentions, but I think I'm going to skip it.  

There were some quotes in there that were a bit disturbingly relevant to current affairs...

OK, I finished Doctor Zhivago yesterday. I enjoyed every moment that I spent reading it. Possibly that is because I am woefully underread in Russian literature, which is kind of ridiculous because I gravitate toward harsh and dark fiction. I thought the writing was superb. After the first 20 percent or so, I had to go back and make a character map. I was so confused by the maze of characters and connections, and that helped me a lot. And now I am thinking about yet another attempt at a commonplace book. I have many failed attempts, sigh.

I had only seen the movie once, and that was 25 years ago, so the plot was all but new for me. I knew that I would encounter star-crossed lovers, the Russian Revolution, and lots of snow - but that is all I could have told you, lol.

There were moments when I could not see Yuri and Lara as anything but selfish. But then I thought about the chaos and uncertainty they were living in and the PTSD that was surely a factor, and became more sympathetic and less judgemental. Well, as long as I didn't think too much about Tonya and her children.

I have read most of the poems, and I think I will finish them out but not all in one gulp.

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 12

Penguin, Matryoshka, and anyone else who read Doctor Zhivago in English, what translation did you choose? I read Pevear and Volkhonsky's translations of Anna Karenina and War and Peace, and found both very readable. However, it sounds like they didn't do so well with Doctor Zhivago.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2010/nov/06/doctor-zhivago-boris-pasternak-translation

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/reviews/doctor-zhivago-by-boris-pasternak-trans-richard-pevear-and-larissa-volokhonsky-2171911.html

Lady Florida, if I could figure out how to multi-quote I would have done that with my previous post to Matryoshka but I have never been able to make it work!

I read the older (Hayward/Harari) translation. I was influenced by the reviews that you linked above, and I also thought it was a good choice in the spirit of the bestseller-spouse-birth-year-bingo-square to read the translation that actually was the bestseller in 1959.

I just started studying Russian, so I am actually daydreaming about being able to read the original. Someday!

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 11

Lady Florida, if I could figure out how to multi-quote I would have done that with my previous post to Matryoshka but I have never been able to make it work!

I read the older (Hayward/Harari) translation. I was influenced by the reviews that you linked above, and I also thought it was a good choice in the spirit of the bestseller-spouse-birth-year-bingo-square to read the translation that actually was the bestseller in 1959.

I had originally wanted to read the new translation and got the audio, but then the narrator was awwwwful.  Sure he had a deep, sonorous voice, but no inflection and he over-enunciated.  If I had been taking dictation or reading instructions, that would have been great, but as a story it sounded flat and somehow didactic.  And then there was the problem of keeping all the characters apart without being able to flip back to check on things, so I decided I definitely needed the print version. In the meantime, someone linked the articles above...

I  was especially convinced by the Guardian article and the comparisons of 'enormous crimson moon' and 'monstrous black-purple moon'  paragraphs.  So, I read the older translation.  I'm also reading it for the spouse-birthyear besteller bingo-square, so I guess Penguin's other point also holds true for me. ;)

I just started studying Russian, so I am actually daydreaming about being able to read the original. Someday!

I'm jealous!  I think especially in poetry, so much is lost in translation (thinking of those poems at the end, which I still haven't tackled).  A poet chooses words so carefully, not just for meaning but for meter, rhyme, assonance, and so many more things. A translator pretty much has to pick keeping either rhyme or meter or mood - there's really no way to do it all.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 12

I  was especially convinced by the Guardian article and the comparisons of 'enormous crimson moon' and 'monstrous black-purple moon'  paragraphs.  So, I read the older translation.  I'm also reading it for the spouse-birthyear besteller bingo-square, so I guess Penguin's other point also holds true for me. ;)

Thank you both. I was leaning towards the older translation because of the articles. You two convinced me. 

• Like 10

I had originally wanted to read the new translation and got the audio, but then the narrator was awwwwful. Sure he had a deep, sonorous voice, but no inflection and he over-enunciated. If I had been taking dictation or reading instructions, that would have been great, but as a story it sounded flat and somehow didactic. And then there was the problem of keeping all the characters apart without being able to flip back to check on things, so I decided I definitely needed the print version. In the meantime, someone linked the articles above...

I was especially convinced by the Guardian article and the comparisons of 'enormous crimson moon' and 'monstrous black-purple moon' paragraphs. So, I read the older translation. I'm also reading it for the spouse-birthyear besteller bingo-square, so I guess Penguin's other point also holds true for me. ;)

I'm jealous! I think especially in poetry, so much is lost in translation (thinking of those poems at the end, which I still haven't tackled). A poet chooses words so carefully, not just for meaning but for meter, rhyme, assonance, and so many more things. A translator pretty much has to pick keeping either rhyme or meter or mood - there's really no way to do it all.

No need to be jealous, ha ha. I know the alphabet and some greetings right now. With your foreign language background , you could get to Pasternak in Russian YEARS ahead of me if you were so inclined :) Edited by Penguin
  • Like 10

No need to be jealous, ha ha. I know the alphabet and some greetings right now. With your foreign language background , you could get to Pasternak in Russian YEARS ahead of me if you were so inclined :)

LOL, maaaybe, but not so sure.  I've never gotten around to tackling a language with a different alphabet, and it's got a whole 'nother language base (Slavic) than any of the languages I know...  I'd probably have an easier time learning to get conversant if someone dumped me in Russia for a year, but I doubt that will happen ;)

Chinese is on my bucket list to learn, but there I'm only hoping for some basic conversational ability and maybe to be able to read signs and flyers.  No literature or poetry, lol... 

• Like 10

I think this is the correct link to my Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/63406324-meredith-reads

I just sent you a request :)

If anyone else wants to add me, I am here on Goodreads.

I don't want my user names to match, but I think matching avatars would be a good idea. Since I am now at 3000+ posts on the WTM boards, I suppose I ought to have an avatar, lol.

• Like 11

OK, I finished Doctor Zhivago yesterday. I enjoyed every moment that I spent reading it. Possibly that is because I am woefully underread in Russian literature, which is kind of ridiculous because I gravitate toward harsh and dark fiction. I thought the writing was superb. After the first 20 percent or so, I had to go back and make a character map. I was so confused by the maze of characters and connections, and that helped me a lot. And now I am thinking about yet another attempt at a commonplace book. I have many failed attempts, sigh.

I managed to keep everyone straight in Zhivago, after many many flips back to the very helpful "Principal characters in this book" page at the opening - if I hadn't had that, it would have been much worse.  But I'm having that problem in La peste/The Plague, which I was trying to read in French, just a short bit at time - the last time I went back after a break I was thinking "wait, who was this guy again??"  I think I'm going to have to start from the beginning and make a character map as I go.  What is it with the French and the Russians and their casts of thousands??

I had only seen the movie once, and that was 25 years ago, so the plot was all but new for me. I knew that I would encounter star-crossed lovers, the Russian Revolution, and lots of snow - but that is all I could have told you, lol.

There were moments when I could not see Yuri and Lara as anything but selfish. But then I thought about the chaos and uncertainty they were living in and the PTSD that was surely a factor, and became more sympathetic and less judgemental. Well, as long as I didn't think too much about Tonya and her children.

I was a bit annoyed at him running off to town to see Lara while his wife was still at Varykino, especially since he'd managed to not even know which room was hers the last time they'd met, and had all of one not particularly intimate conversation.

But after he'd been held prisoner by the partisans for three years and his family had been deported, I had much less of a problem with it.

BUT what I do not understand is why he refused to go with her to Vlodivistock with Komarovsky?  He could have, as Komarovsky mentioned, left her at that point to join his family in Paris if he was feeling guilty about them, which he could not from where he was.  And his not accompanying her left her again to Komarovsky's devices (I notice she was passing as his wife in the epilogue). Even if he didn't know she was pg (though he suspected something was up back in town, so was he just being willfully blind??).  It was all upside and no downside to go with them.  Instead he hangs around for a bit, trundles back to Moscow where he lays around feeling sorry for himself, not bothering to even try hard to get to his family, and instead starting family #3 which he abandons in turn?  WTH, dude?  If you were fine just starting up another family anyway, why not stay with Lara???

I found all my quotes, finally, but they are all of a political rather than a romantic nature, so I should probably keep them to myself... :tongue_smilie:

I have read most of the poems, and I think I will finish them out but not all in one gulp.

I am impressed with your diligence. :)

• Like 10

YES!  :D  Actually, I can probably skip having to re-read with that. :)  I know what's going on, it just changes perspective every chapter, and I've been having to page back to figure out whose it is and what his role and viewpoint is.  If I'd been reading faster, it wouldn't have been so bad, but letting it sit there for a week and picking it up was not so straightforward... 

Thank you!!!

• Like 10

Jan Dunlap is one author. Her books are fun, quick reads. Steve Burrows is another author.

Thank you, Jan Dunlap is who I was hunting for. Still not available from the library for me but I was pleasantly surprised to find Steve Burrows. So he is on the list!

• Like 5