Menu

Avoiding the topic of politics

Night Elf

How do I get my mom to stop talking to me about politics?? She is driving me nuts. We used to talk 4 - 5 times a week for at least a couple of hours at a time. But it seems that since the election, she spends more time talking politics and less on our usual fun stuff. I never know what to say to her. Mostly, we have the same political views but she rants and raves about a lot of stuff that I just don't want to talk about! I no longer look forward to our talks and that's incredibly sad.

You just have to tell her you'll discuss the kids, the weather, recipe ideas, etc. anything BUT politics. Be firm. Be matter of fact. If she doesn't stop, tell her you have to go. Then get off the phone. Seems harsh, but she will catch on. 

Worrying so much about the news and politics is not good for one's health. 

See Katy's thread when she took a news break. 

ETA: The link to the thread and to Patty Joanna's post

If you can't convince your mother not to concentrate on politics for the sake of her health, perhaps that thread and post will help you protect your own health. 

:grouphug:

Edited by Angie in VA
  • Like 2

I have a similar issue--Mom and I pretty much agree...but I am just sick to death of talking about it.  Blood pressure up, time-available down, for accomplishing nothing.  I let her rattle on a bit, but then she stops for breath and I just change the subject.  It's taken about a year but she has the general idea now.  I don't want to tell her to shut up but neither do I want to rattle on, myself.  So I limit it and then, "How 'bout them Broncos?!"  :0)

I have a sil who wants to talk politics.  her son is so far in his extremes and pushing them down other people's throats - people are starting to shun him.  (I do think how obnoxious he is - in other areas as well - played in his wife filing for divorce last year.  she was the breadwinner.)

other sil recently sent a "I watched pollyanna growing up, and I only want to see the good things .blah blah blah."   I got cc'd on it - and wondered why/rolled my eyes.

don't know there is much you can do other than when she starts - say, I'll talk to you later and hang up.  she might not change - but she will get the message this is a closed subject.

eta: I'm not interested in talking politics much even with my family who does (especially now) - I also have at least one who doesn't want to talk about any of it.  I respect her to have that right.

Edited by gardenmom5

I, also, think you should be direct. Set a clear, firm boundary - "Mom, I don't want to talk about this right now, it just upsets me" - change the subject, and if she persists, hang up. "Great talking to you, but I don't want to discuss politics. I'll call you again tomorrow. Love ya!"

This may not be the nicest way, but it is probably the most effective.

• Like 4

(hugs)

To me, this is a tricky balance. Your mom may need to vent but sometimes too much venting isn't good. You want to be there for your mom but too much is too much for you too.

I think within each individual conversation be ready to say "I've had enough politics for today why don't you tell me about XYZ?". That way she can vent a bit but it doesn't take over.

Just my two cents. I lost my mom when I was young but I do have a widowed sister that I have a similar situation with.