Menu

Should I say something? I feel like I should say something.

DesertBlossom

Deleted. 

Thank you for the advice. I got the courage to call my friend's husband and he was glad I did. He had only gotten a bid so far, so he hadn't started work.

When my friend asked a couple months ago I didn't initially give his name because there are literally HUNDREDS of landscaping companies in our large metropolitan area and I was banking on them hiring someone else without me having to name names. It's not a matter of not wanting to be honest about fellow church members. It's also our community. His parents know my parents well. I know his wife's family well. (And they all attend different congregations) I didn't feel it necessary to tell people about his poor work unless it was necessary. It's awkward enough as it is because we will run into him again.

Edited by DesertBlossom

If you were in the position as your friend, would you want to know the guy you hired had a history of shoddy work?

How would you feel if someone knew that you had hired a less-than-stellar handyman and didn't say anything?

I would call and say something as a heads up.

ETA: I asked DH if he would want to know and his immediate response was "He!! yes."

Edited by Scoutermom
  • Like 3

If you were in the position as your friend, would you want to know the guy you hired had a history or shoddy work?

How would you feel if someone knew that you had hired a less-than-stellar handyman and didn't say anything?

I would call and say something as a heads up.

This is true. I would want to know.

I have no idea how far along in the process they are... if they just got a quote or if he has already started work or what.  

It is not gossiping to answer a question honestly and based on experience rather than hearsay.

"Mr X did the work for us. No, I don't recommend him."

Of course you should say something, if it's not too late. (If they haven't signed a contract/started work.). Be prepared for your friends to be annoyed that you didn't speak up earlier.

• Like 4

It is not gossiping to answer a question honestly and based on experience rather than hearsay.

"Mr X did the work for us. No, I don't recommend him."

Of course you should say something, if it's not too late. (If they haven't signed a contract/started work.). Be prepared for your friends to be annoyed that you didn't speak up earlier.

Agreed!

Absolutely. Tell her.

I do not consider sharing objective information about the work of a professional to be in any way gossip, and I certainly hope I can trust my friend enough to tell me the truth about a professional that I am hiring.

And, gently, this problem of not wanting to tell the truth about church members is rampant and very problematic. If you can't trust a member of your congregation to tell you the truth, who can you trust?

• Like 4