Menu

Spin off of Make up Poll...What brand do you use?

I was getting in the habit of using foundation to give my face a more even tone during the day. It was working out great until I started breaking out around my chin. I stopped using it and started back up about a week and a half later, the same thing happened. I was using: http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=160385&catid=107417&cmbProdBrandFilter=48720 covergirls advanced radiance. My sister uses bare escentuals (sp?) one of those mineral powders which looked nice on her. I'm just not sure what to go for. I'm intrested in knowing which foundation/powders have been reliable for you.

Thanks,

Michelle

I use Mary Kay, and I use both their medium coverage liquid foundation and their mineral powder. I like them both. I used the liquid because it give me more coverage and the mineral powder as my powder for oil control, although I do wear the powder alone when I'm in a hurry.

If you're having problems with breakouts, it's probably worth looking into a higher-end brand of foundation. I haven't used Bare Escentuals myself, but I've heard good things about it.

I use Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer. Its not a true tm, its more of a sheer foundation. I never settle on one powder but I really like L'Oreal's True Match powder. Its so finely milled it rivals cosmetic counter powders for half the price. I have skin that's prone to break-outs and don't have trouble with these but I also use a skin treatment at night that I think helps.

Slightly off-topic but for anyone who wears mascara you MUST try the Cover Girl Lash Blast. I was using the Dior Show which is about 3x the price...the CG is better in really every respect...and I wear contacts.

I use Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer. Its not a true tm, its more of a sheer foundation. I never settle on one powder but I really like L'Oreal's True Match powder. Its so finely milled it rivals cosmetic counter powders for half the price. I have skin that's prone to break-outs and don't have trouble with these but I also use a skin treatment at night that I think helps.

Slightly off-topic but for anyone who wears mascara you MUST try the Cover Girl Lash Blast. I was using the Dior Show which is about 3x the price...the CG is better in really every respect...and I wear contacts.

Ditto and ditto: Love Laura Mercier AND CoverGirl Lash Blast! I have also used and like Make Up For Ever HD primer and foundation. You can find it (and Laura Mercier) at Sephora. I love Bare Escentuals on other people, but it looks...fake on me. You can see the powder settling in to my face. I'm an old woman now, I guess. ;)

For foundation, Clinique or Estee Lauder. I've wanted to try some of those mineral lines as well but haven't had the chance to splurge. If you want to read reviews on any given cosmetic product, you can go to www.makeupalley.com and type in the product. You'll be able to see reviews and also what skin type the reviewer has. If the overall tone of the site puts you off, you can ignore it and just stick to using the review feature. :)

Have you tried using a primer under your foundation? Urban Decay and Smashbox make good ones. I use Estee's Idealist Pore Minimizing serum for this under my foundation and find that it helps create a barrier so that it doesn't all settle into my pores. Adult acne just stinks, huh?

Ditto and ditto: Love Laura Mercier AND CoverGirl Lash Blast! I have also used and like Make Up For Ever HD primer and foundation. You can find it (and Laura Mercier) at Sephora. I love Bare Escentuals on other people, but it looks...fake on me. You can see the powder settling in to my face. I'm an old woman now, I guess. ;)

I was so happy when I found Lash Blast....2 for 1? Heck, yeah!

I use mostly Clinique. They have foundation shades to match my skin tone (I'm very fair) and the compact powder foundation gives good coverage and doesn't make me break out. I love their Double Lash mascara and their Black Honey Almost Lipstick.

I do use different eyeshadow and concealer, though. I have CoverGirl true match concealer and several eyeshadows from different brands.

I would love to use mineral powder make-up (and finally found a shade light enough at Aromaleigh.com) but I'm using Retin-A for my acne and the mineral powders make the peeling much more noticeable.

I've always used cheapo makeup like Cover Girl or Maybelline, but I recently switched to Bare Minerals by Bare Escentuals because I didn't like the way the cheaper makeup felt on my face. All I can say is WOW. I LOVE this stuff. It is way more expensive, but so worth it. It doesn't feel like I have anything on and it looks fantastic. I'm hooked;).

Here is what I use:

Foundation: Everyday Minerals. Love, love it. It does not make me break out! You can go to their website and get free samples to try. Cheaper and better than Bare Escentials, imo.

Concealer: The Balm

Bronzer/Blusher/eyeshadow-in-a-pinch L'Oreal Glam Bronzer for light skin

As far as eye shadows, and lip color, I generally go for L'Oreal. Their products blend well, and the new HP line is of comparable quality to MAC, imo. I don't care for Maybelline or Covergirl - they look blotchy and cheap on my skin. L'Oreal has a quality product at a good price.

I like the new liquid mineral makeup from Neutrogena. It comes in a lousy dispenser though, too much comes out at a time to really be able to use the brush to apply. I use a makeup sponge to apply, and it is light and natural looking.

I like the Bare Escentuals makeup, but it makes my face look too shiny.

I used to really like Mary Kay foundation, the old formulas that have been discontinued.

For all other makeup, I use whatever strikes my fancy at the drugstore or Target. I'm especially a lipstickaholic, it's crazy how many I own.

Michelle T