Menu

Sudden vegetarian

SquirrellyMama

It's been almost a month since I've eaten meat. I have always had a hard time eating meat, even as a child. I could usually push away any bad thoughts and eat it since I liked the taste. As long as I didn't think about the animal I was fine.

Just before Christmas I was having a hard time eating meat. I thought if I could just find meat from ethical sources I'd be fine. Right around the New Year I just could not stomach meat anymore.

Now when I cook it for my family I gag.

I've lost some weight since I've really been watching what I'm eating to be sure I get all of my protein and vitamins.

Kelly

I haven't eaten meat in 30 years.

I always felt uncomfortable with the thought of it and never enjoyed it anyway.

As a teen, I'm sure my parents thought this would be a passing phase. 30 years on, ah, no.

I just make sure I have decent protein sources and I supplement with iron and B12.

I have a B12 supplement, I might need to find an iron supplement also.

Kelly

• Like 2

A friend posted a photo of her teen at a stock show with the raised heifer. Everyone said how nice, pretty cow, etc.

I almost posted, "Yeah, nice heifer. That's why I quit eating beef." haha. hahaha. It made me so sad. Nice cow, dead cow, eat cow. :(

I get sick when I eat beef and pork; lamb is not really something I eat anyway...chicken I'm still eating. Seafood mostly.

Dairy products I rarely eat/drink.

Eggs make me sick too. 

Congratulations!

• Like 2

It's been almost a month since I've eaten meat. I have always had a hard time eating meat, even as a child. I could usually push away any bad thoughts and eat it since I liked the taste. As long as I didn't think about the animal I was fine.

Just before Christmas I was having a hard time eating meat. I thought if I could just find meat from ethical sources I'd be fine. Right around the New Year I just could not stomach meat anymore.

Now when I cook it for my family I gag.

I've lost some weight since I've really been watching what I'm eating to be sure I get all of my protein and vitamins.

Kelly

Same here. Then after reading about how cows are fed candy and lots of other non-food items, I'm done. 

• Like 1

I have a B12 supplement, I might need to find an iron supplement also.

Kelly

Probably not. If you have dietary sources that you combine with vitamin c, it's likely to be enough for most people.

If you need help navigating things, though, Jack Norris (RD) maintains http://www.veganhealth.org which should cover anything you might wonder about nutrient wise.

• Like 1

As long as you eat at least a cup of beans or legumes a day, you'll be fine.  1/3 cup per meal including breakfast or 1/2 cup each for lunch and supper, with at least one serving of whole grains per day.  Similarly, a couple hardboiled eggs or ounces of cheese.

Human breastmilk is something like 8% protein, and that's in the most rapidly growing phase of life. You don't need much protein as an adult unless you're in specific circumstances - wound healing (after surgery) and trying to gain muscle being two of the times when it truly does make for faster recovery if you eat extra protein.  People just push it right now because it tends to lower appetites compared to eating carbs or fat.

I've never craved much meat either (except when anemic), and when I had those genetic tests done through 23&me I wasn't that surprised to learn that I genetically have a hard time breaking down excess protein.  I say listen to your body, and don't eat if if you don't want it.  At the same time, don't make it a religion.  If/when you start craving it, eat it.

I don't eat food that makes me gag.  No way.  So don't eat meat. 

that's not to say SparklyUnicorn doesn't eat meat. Pretty sure she would 

REVOLT if she was denied her bacon!  :D

As for you, OP, there are plenty of other foods to tickle your tastebuds

so why try to eat what's not pleasing to you? I'll eat your beef for you!  :cool:

(I try to always buy small farmed, grass fed beef.)

• Like 1