Menu

Poll: Are you in favor of a second stimulus package?

Are you in favor of a second stimulus package?  

1. 1. Are you in favor of a second stimulus package?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Other.
    • I have no clue what you are talking about.

Fox Business and Neil Cavuto are reporting that even Bernanke is now in favor of a second stimulus package. Personally, I am opposed. Spending more money is not what we need to be doing now. Look what happened with the first one....not a lot. What is your opinion on the matter and will you contact your Congresspeople about this?

Absolutely not. We got "pre-bates" in Bush's first term. They did nothing. Earlier this year, we got money. It did nothing. Are they thinking "Third time's the charm" or something?

Creating an even bigger debt is NOT going to help us. Have they learned nothing from the mortgage crisis??

Tara

Guest Virginia Dawn

I think this is bordering on the ridiculous.

Dh and I were speculating why this is even being considerered. Could it be they hope to boost Christmas sales that may be extremely lower than usual this year? Isn't that a big economic indicator?

I voted other because although I am not in favour of more money being spent, I think that we also need to wait for the elections to be over. I think a lot of the volatility in the market is due to the uncertain nature of the politics in the US. I think that no more money should be spent now and I don't really think any more money should be spent after the elections either. I think we need to wait and see how things play out. I am making no sense in my head either right now:001_huh: But I guess what I am trying to say is ABSOLUTELY NO right now but maybe something in the future, but not necessarily more money but something else. Am I making any sense???? :confused::confused::confused:

I voted other. It would depend on the package.

If they create a stimulus package that does what they should have done with the first package, then I might be in favor of it. In other words, giving us money and encouraging us to buy cheap junk from China? Bad. Spending money to hire Americans to improve our roads, rail systems, bridges, etc? That might be a good idea.

I clicked other, simply because, although I've heard about it, I have no clue what exactly they're suggesting...other than this:

They reported on the news yesterday that the reason the last stimulus package didn't do enough is because too many of us used it to pay off debt, instead of spending it. So, this time they'd be trying to put some restrictions in place to make us spend it on consumables, rather than on debt.

I don't think the government has any right to do that. I also think the suggestion indicates what I've suspected all along: that when it comes to the basic quality of life of the middle class, the government is soft in the head. They do not get it.

If they create a stimulus package that does what they should have done with the first package, then I might be in favor of it. In other words, giving us money and encouraging us to buy cheap junk from China? Bad. Spending money to hire Americans to improve our roads, rail systems, bridges, etc? That might be a good idea.

YES!!!!!

:iagree:

THAT is what I was trying to say. Clearly I need more coffee!

So, this time they'd be trying to put some restrictions in place to make us spend it on consumables, rather than on debt.

How could they possibly do this? Other than giving us all gift certificates, that is. :confused:

How can they not get this?? Don't create more debt!!!

Tara

How could they possibly do this? Other than giving us all gift certificates, that is. :confused:

How can they not get this?? Don't create more debt!!!

Tara

Okay so I'll spend my gift card on groceries and have more of my money to pay bills. It works out the same for me either way.

Okay so I'll spend my gift card on groceries and have more of my money to pay bills. It works out the same for me either way.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Unless they give me a gift card to Wal-Mart. Then I'll just chuck it in the trash. :001_smile::001_smile:

What I was trying to ask, though, is how they could mandate that people spend their money a certain way. Would you only get it if you promised to spend it on consumer junk? How could they track or control that?

Tara

No, I don't think so. Last night on Nightly Business Report ??? someone way saying they needed to get money in the hands of the lower middle class, and if they did, he felt they would spend it. There was some talk - I missed most of it because I was busy - but I gathered they wanted to somehow ensure it got spent, not on bills or savings, but shopping.

Janet

No, I don't think so. Last night on Nightly Business Report ??? someone way saying they needed to get money in the hands of the lower middle class, and if they did, he felt they would spend it. There was some talk - I missed most of it because I was busy - but I gathered they wanted to somehow ensure it got spent, not on bills or savings, but shopping.

Janet

So, in other words, our Government wants to encourage people to be irresponsible with money in order to improve the economy? Makes as much sense as anything else they do, I reckon.

So, in other words, our Government wants to encourage people to be irresponsible with money in order to improve the economy? Makes as much sense as anything else they do, I reckon.

Like I said, I wasn't listening close enough to quote the gentleman exactly, but that was what I took away from it. Spend, spend, spend...

Janet

I chose "other". I think that if there are necessary parts of our infrastructure(think roads) that are underfunded, they could use the money for that. My community currently has 3 items on the ballot that are asking taxpayers for more money. The amount the govt. wants to give us is probably 3 times the amount that most people say they can't afford for the new taxes. It seems to me then that some of those things could get funded and there would still be money left over.

To paraphrase Mayor Bloomberg, "it's like giving an alcoholic a drink" We really are consumer addicts! Having said that, we own a business that benefitted greatly from the last check and it's really hard for me to be against them. ;) I want to point out that we did NOT qualify for a check last time. Would be nice if they'd give us one this time around!

Margaret, a little bit torn on this issue

Sure. Give me more money and I'll get in a better position for when the economy does crash.

Sort of my answer, but sure, why not give me some money? Whether I spend it on bills or buy stuff, the money is still circulated. If it makes the current administration look all the weaker for its sorry decisions, great! Another reason to vote for BIG CHANGE. McCain is just more of the same, because as he keeps saying, he has all the experience of working with the current government.