Menu

For those taking a Derek Owens online course...

My daughter just started taking an online course with Derek Owens.  We sent in her chapter 1 test January 3, and have not heard back yet.  I then send another email 2 days ago and still have not heard back.  I am getting frustrated.  I was under the impression that homework/tests were grades and returned fairly quickly.    For those of you using Derek Owens, what has been the turn around time for you?  

• Like 1

My daughter just started taking an online course with Derek Owens. We sent in her chapter 1 test January 3, and have not heard back yet. I then send another email 2 days ago and still have not heard back. I am getting frustrated. I was under the impression that homework/tests were grades and returned fairly quickly. For those of you using Derek Owens, what has been the turn around time for you?

Much faster than that. Have you checked your junk email folder?
  • Like 1

Going forward I would give you advice for any online class- you need to communicate right away next time. Since they don't see your student face to face if something got lost or if your student isn't in their LMS or whatever, they'll

Never know! :) from now on I would never wait more than 3 days to resolve or check on an issue :)

• Like 2

My son had the same problem.  Turned out he sent his homework to the wrong address :glare: . Mr. Owens cannot correct what he does not get

You may want to check if your daughter send it to the correct e-mail address.  My youngest son's work is usually returned within two days.  My older one's tends to take a couple of days longer because he sends in all homework for a chapter at once and I guess correcting geometry proofs takes more time than checking Alg 1 problems.

Edited for clarity

Edited by rdj2027

That is highly unusual.  I agree with others who have posted:  check the address to which it was sent and your spam folder (mine sometimes misdirects Mr. Owens' graded work.)

In any event, I would encourage you to contact Mr. Owens if ever you have concerns; I have found him to be very responsive to emails (and he's super nice, too! :001_smile: )

Did your daughter send in her homework and get it back after it was graded? You should be using the same email address to submit both homework and tests.

ETA: this page lists the contact info. http://derekowens.com/contact.php  The grading email address is listed. Also, in the grading section is a link to a video that explains in detail how to submit things for grading.

Edited by TarynB

He's usually very timely (1-2 days), but we've had the same issue this past 2 weeks. In the middle of moving, so I havent followed up yet, but yeah, something must be going on on his end right now.

Eta- he was very sick in the fall (meningitis? Hospitalized), but we got an email explaining that.

Hope everything is ok.

I'll call this week & see whats up.

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 1

IIRC, we had a similar issue around this time too. Perhaps he is overwhelmed with everyone sending work in at the same time? It was only the once or at most twice (I cannot remember exactly as it was a few years ago for honors physics). There was definitely a time when he was not getting back to us quickly. But at other times, turnaround was at most 2-3 days and very often, within the same day.

Usually DS just moved on to watching videos and would start on next part of homework even before Derek got back to him.

• Like 1

My son is taking his third DO class right now and we haven't had any issues getting his work back on a timely basis this month or at any time previously. I do know that Mr. Owens has some TA's - advanced and former students of his - who normally help with grading, so Mr. Owens doesn't usually do everything himself. So the delays some are having seem very unusual to me. I hope the issues some of you are having get resolved soon.

Edited by TarynB
  • Like 1

I contacted Derek and he got back to me and said that her chapter test had been graded and emailed.  However, I never received it.  I check EVERYWHERE!!  LOL  He sent it to me again.  Maybe they are just having a rough start for the new year?  I am sure things will get back to normal soon.   I noticed on his website it shows a spreadsheet with grades... it that something I am supposed to be able to access?  Am I making sense here?  If so, can anyone tell me how I do that?

• Like 2

I contacted Derek and he got back to me and said that her chapter test had been graded and emailed.  However, I never received it.  I check EVERYWHERE!!  LOL  He sent it to me again.  Maybe they are just having a rough start for the new year?  I am sure things will get back to normal soon.   I noticed on his website it shows a spreadsheet with grades... it that something I am supposed to be able to access?  Am I making sense here?  If so, can anyone tell me how I do that?

I access the spreadsheet via a hot link on homework that's sent back.  It says something like "Progress Report click here"  and shows everything so far, not just the homework in the email.  (I hope that makes sense.)

• Like 1

We got back a bunch of assignments last night, not all our missing ones, but about half, in one big email.

Something must be off, maybe it is just a backlog of people sending stuff in over semester break ( we used that time as " catch up on math time", perhaps others did too).

I'll go check his grade book & see if the missing ones were graded, just not returned.

I access the spreadsheet via a hot link on homework that's sent back.  It says something like "Progress Report click here"  and shows everything so far, not just the homework in the email.  (I hope that makes sense.)

Thanks:)  Makes sense, but I am not finding it! BOO! LOL  

Well... it has been 10 days since I have turned in homework and have not heard back... AGAIN.  I am not sure what to do.  I cannot have this long of a turnaround.  I was under the impression that the turnaround was a few days.  Very frustrated.  I wonder if he would just email me the answers to the homework and tests and I will grade it myself.

Well... it has been 10 days since I have turned in homework and have not heard back... AGAIN.  I am not sure what to do.  I cannot have this long of a turnaround.  I was under the impression that the turnaround was a few days.  Very frustrated.  I wonder if he would just email me the answers to the homework and tests and I will grade it myself.

Have you emailed Mr. Owens directly about this?

We are on our second course with Derek Owens and the only time I've had a long delay was because I lost his response in my spam filter.  Any any time I've emailed him directly, I got a response very promptly.

• Like 1

Well... it has been 10 days since I have turned in homework and have not heard back... AGAIN. I am not sure what to do. I cannot have this long of a turnaround. I was under the impression that the turnaround was a few days. Very frustrated. I wonder if he would just email me the answers to the homework and tests and I will grade it myself.

Yes, he will do this. And if you grade it all yourself, he only charges half price.

Edited by OnMyOwn

Derek got back to me super quick again... he is saying that the homework has been graded and sent back, but somehow I am not receiving them.  I have checked everywhere.  Apparently this has happened to others who use a gmail account.   

I am very thankful he gets back to me in a timely manner, and it sounds like it is a problem with my email. Hopefully I will figure it out.  However, I am moving to the parent grading option for the remainder of pre-algebra. I will go back to Derek/staff grading when we hit algebra.

Just wanted to give an update.  Even though there have been issues with email, I am still very happy and satisfied with his math program:)  What a difference it has made for my daughter. 

• Like 3

Derek got back to me super quick again... he is saying that the homework has been graded and sent back, but somehow I am not receiving them.  I have checked everywhere.  Apparently this has happened to others who use a gmail account.   

I am very thankful he gets back to me in a timely manner, and it sounds like it is a problem with my email. Hopefully I will figure it out.  However, I am moving to the parent grading option for the remainder of pre-algebra. I will go back to Derek/staff grading when we hit algebra.

Just wanted to give an update.  Even though there have been issues with email, I am still very happy and satisfied with his math program:)  What a difference it has made for my daughter. 

Thanks for coming back to update this thread. I'm so sorry that you've had these issues though. It must be really frustrating.

I've been paying close attention to the grading turnaround on my son's assignments since this thread came up. He sent homework in yesterday afternoon and got it back this afternoon.

But I've decided I'm hanging on to my non-gmail account for as long as I can, just because of so many bad stories I hear about gmail!

Gmail does weird things sometimes.  My dc takes online math from a different provider, who once contacted me to tell me dc hadn't turned in the test by the deadline, even though I'd sent it.  Later, the provider emailed me back to tell me that it had been found - attached to another student's emailed test!  Very, very strange.  I encourage my dc not to use Gmail for anything truly confidential.

• 4 weeks later...