Menu

Spin Off Topic

Jyhwkmama

Spin off of "don't get about homeschool" thread:

Where do you even buy a denim jumper if you want one? I might be interested in warmer weather. Maybe it would make me feel more homeschool legit?

I see a couple on the Vermont Country Store website. Is there anywhere else?

Edited by Jyhwkmama
  • Like 1

The Goodwill here has a lovely assortment in their dress section. Denim skirts, too.

You can buy some on the internet, but I don't think they're quite what you're looking for. A bit more cleavage and leg than the typical homeschool mom shows.

On that note, I will pay someone to go to a big homeschool convention wearing this. What is it the Duggars yell at their kids when there's an "immodest" woman around?

"Nike! NIKE!!!"

• Like 9

Yes! The Goodwill! I am in Kansas, so it might be an answer.

However, it would have to be for summertime only. Too cold here for skirt anything right now.

That's why you wear the athletic tights under them.

I don't know where to get denim jumpers these days. I ordered one out of a catalog when I was 15 or 16 or so (and no, not one of Mergath's either - a legit denim jumper - wore it with a long-sleeve plaid blouse under it - definitely winter, or maybe spring/fall, not summer).

The Goodwill here has a lovely assortment in their dress section. Denim skirts, too.

You can buy some on the internet, but I don't think they're quite what you're looking for. A bit more cleavage and leg than the typical homeschool mom shows.

On that note, I will pay someone to go to a big homeschool convention wearing this. What is it the Duggars yell at their kids when there's an "immodest" woman around?

"Nike! NIKE!!!"

:)

Looks handy for breastfeeding!

• Like 14

The last time I owned a denim jumper (kindergarten teachers used to wear them too) I bought it from Lands End.

Yeah, I was thinking that or Cold Water Creek (I think that's the name). That's where all the elementary teachers by their applique style clothes that are the unofficial uniform of lower elementary grades around here. At least at the schools that make them kick it up a notch beyond capri pants and school spirit T-shirt. 

Too cold here for skirt anything right now.

I wear long underwear under my skirts in the winter. TMI?  :)

I wear denim skirts almost every day. They're my version of jeans.

I don't wear jumpers because my husband doesn't care for them. They look so comfy, though!

Anyway, you can find lots of denim jumpers on eBay, or have them custom made at places like:

http://www.liliesapparel.com

or

http://www.classicclothingstore.com

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

"Nike! NIKE!!!"

Hey, how did you get that picture of me in my denim jumper??? :glare:

;) ;) ;) ;)

• Like 10

I think a true homeschooling mom makes her own, and matching ones for all her female offspring.

With matching neckties for all of the males, too.

"Nike! NIKE!!!"

Ooooh I could use the money, but I don't go to homeschool conventions, plus I don't have the figure that would work for that jumper.

Yes! The Goodwill! I am in Kansas, so it might be an answer.

However, it would have to be for summertime only. Too cold here for skirt anything right now.

A truly dedicated jumper wearer knows that nothing is worth doing if a proper lady can't do it in her long skirts. Layer up with sweatpants if need be!

• Like 1

Ooooh I could use the money, but I don't go to homeschool conventions, plus I don't have the figure that would work for that jumper.

If I wore that to a homeschool convention, the Duggars wouldn't need to yell "Nike".  Their menfolk would be so traumatized, they'd just start looking at their shoes all the time. 

Does it come in size 3XL?  

Mergath?  How much are you paying?

• Like 4

Spin off of "don't get about homeschool" thread:

Where do you even buy a denim jumper if you want one? I might be interested in warmer weather. Maybe it would make me feel more homeschool legit?

I see a couple on the Vermont Country Store website. Is there anywhere else?

I don't think you can wear a jumper if you would say "legit". :laugh:

• Like 3

My current uniform is a Hanes Beefy T paired with these pants in black: http://www.hanes.com/shop/hanes/clearance--1/up-to-off/hanes-signature--1/hanes-pants-25179

They have stopped making the pants. Need a new choice. 

I definitely do not have a denim jumper personality (and my husband would probably laugh at me), but I am open to anything.

They do seriously look comfortable. I know my mom has a few jumpers that she wore when she was a children's leader for BSF -- she needed to be dressy enough to convey the leadership role, but she also needed to be comfortable and casual enough to get down on the floor with children.

I have the big huge van. Maybe I need a jumper too. DH would probably love Mergath's.

• Like 1

My current uniform is a Hanes Beefy T paired with these pants in black: http://www.hanes.com/shop/hanes/clearance--1/up-to-off/hanes-signature--1/hanes-pants-25179

They have stopped making the pants. Need a new choice. 

I definitely do not have a denim jumper personality (and my husband would probably laugh at me), but I am open to anything.

Jumpers are so easy and comfortable, but, I have to say, skirts are too, especially in warm weather. I like them long and full, so all I have to fit is my waist. They are very forgiving.  :) I often wear them with t-shirts. If you like knits, Lands' End usually has a nice selection of knit skirts.

• Like 1

I don't get it?

It's just a slang use that wouldn't go with someone who would wear a jumper.  Of course, a person COULD use, but normally they wouldn't.  It's just funny is all.

In my class, a young man with a very deep southern drawl, started reading his part in Taming of the Shrew.  When he began with the line, "How now, Pertuchio?", everyone burst out laughing, because it was so out of place.  They weren't laughing at HIM, just at the combination of a Shakespeare line and a deep southern drawl.

• Like 1

"Nike! NIKE!!!"

This is not your grandma's denim jumper.

• Like 2

I am proudly both frumpy and slangy, so I would totally wear a denim jumper and say "legit." I am sure that I often confuse people when they hear me swearing like a sailor while wearing a denim skirt, frumpy high-necked shirt, and maybe even a headcovering. Frumpy and bad hair day does not equal conservative highly religious person.  :lol:

• Like 2

Jumpers are so easy and comfortable, but, I have to say, skirts are too, especially in warm weather. I like them long and full, so all I have to fit is my waist. They are very forgiving. :) I often wear them with t-shirts. If you like knits, Lands' End usually has a nice selection of knit skirts.

I have often thought that, if you were going to be a very large family with a bunch of DDs, it would be handy to be dresses/skirts only, for this reason. You can hand-me-down hand-me-up, and hand-me-sideways if all you need to fit is the waist.

Pants are much harder to share.

• Like 3

It's just a slang use that wouldn't go with someone who would wear a jumper.  Of course, a person COULD use, but normally they wouldn't.  It's just funny is all.

Okay. Btw, fun fact - if you google 'legit', google gives a definition and a use over time chart (you might have to click on the down arrow) - apparently 'legit' was more common in 1800 than it is now.

ETA: n/m, it seems that they're mistakenly taking Latin legit for the 1800s.

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 1

Okay. Btw, fun fact - if you google 'legit', google gives a definition and a use over time chart (you might have to click on the down arrow) - apparently 'legit' was more common in 1800 than it is now.

ETA: n/m, it seems that they're mistakenly taking Latin legit for the 1800s.

Ah, but not as common as it was in the early 1990's!!