Menu

For those who have done gluten free at Disneyworld...

StaceyinLA

I'm a Disney travel agent, and I go to Disney a good bit, but I have never needed to eat gluten free. For our upcoming trip at the end of January, we have noted gluten free on our table service reservations, because my daughter has been having a lot of issues with gluten and doesn't want to feel terribly on our trip. That covers those meals, but what about counter meals and other things?

Anyone who has had to follow a GF diet while there willing to share their best ideas?

Disney had a list of where and what you can get. At each counter I pulled out the list and ordered the item and noted that it was gf order to the counter staff. I wouldn't know where on the website to find this now.

Years ago we stayed on-site. I spoke with the chef in charge of the cafeteria at our hotel ahead of time and he was very helpful. He asked me to check in with him when I arrived. I did. Even though he wasn't available, the chef when we arrived immediately checked his stock of gf items and got extra stuff that would be fun for my kids if they wanted it throughout the week (gf frozen pizza comes to mind). They knew I was specifically counting on them for breakfast and loaded up on stuff that fit my family. Then during the week they did little surprises for us. " Mrs P would you kids like gluten free chocolate chip pancakes, I whipped up a batch for them." One night it was "Mrs P I was thinking of your kids today and made cookies, do they want ice cream sandwiches?"

One thing I really appreciated at the time was they never charged more for the gf alternative.

Sit down restaurants were a breeze because gf was set up on the reservation.

We had been gf for 6 years at that point and it was first vacation where I actually relaxed about food. It took a couple days to realize I could relax, but I did. My oldest was 13 at the time and we allowed him to do exploring on his own part of the time. He was able to order gf at the counters without me.

• Like 4

At one time you could email and get a food list for every restaurant and gluten free options.  The reservation system is best for getting good gluten free stuff.  However, I took in snacks with no issues.  I don't remember ever feeling left out.  In fact, there was an asian place that had gluten free options and I was so happy to eat there :-)

I was there for a quick trip with other dietary restrictions and helped plan for someone with celiac a couple of years ago. This site looks pretty up-to-date: http://www.glutenfreedairyfreewdw.com/dining-resources/menus/

I believe they mark on the park maps which counter service locations offer gluten free options. It's not at every restaurant. They offer GF buns and packaged Enjoy Life cookies/snacks. 

If you're going to any buffets, the chef will come out and walk you down the line. They were excellent when we went with a woman with an anaphylactic nut allergy. The chef at Boma offered to prepare some things fresh and separately for her. 

I love Disney for allergies and gluten free. We've had great luck with every counter meal the quick restaurants at the parks - and pretty much every place we've eaten. At each place, we ask for a manager who gives us the allergy menu - and personally cooks the food. Most places have gluten free options. :)

We went to Disney World with my in-laws 3 years ago. My MIL eats gluten-free. We did at least one sit-down meal every day - we never had a problem in those. Usually the chef would come out and talk to MIL and get her order; a few times she got gorgeous envy-worthy desserts while we were stuck ordering lovely (but not nearly as good as MIL's) desserts off the menu. At counter service, we would talk to the first cast member we came across, and s/he would notify the manager who would come out and talk to her about her options. A couple of the managers personally oversaw the making of her food. At buffets the manager would walk through with her telling her which options were gluten free.

My MIL has been eating gluten free for 15 years, and this is the first (and only) vacation she was able to put her guard down because the employees were so helpful. She loved it!

This is such an excellent gluten free bakery-

https://www.disneysprings.com/dining/erin-mckennas-bakery-nyc/

I send my daughter at college cookies from here.

We loved this bakery when we Were there as we have allergies other than just gluten and they were able to accommodate all of them. We were also able to order in advance and pick them up. Well worth it! The donuts were so good! And such a treat after being gf, df, super and dye free for years

As other have said Disney is great with the gf and any other allergies. Just note to speak with the waiter (who usually sends out the chef) at all meals. Just because it's noted doesn't mean they've looked at that and will accommodate without request. They were so good when we did speak with them. At buffets they pointed out what we could eat and even made specific meals just for my kids with multiple allergies. Sit down was much easier than the fast food. We did 1-2 sit downs for this reason a day. The resorts are great about it too. We stayed at the animal kingdom and they made specific meals there for my kids and were less expensive than the parks so we typically ate a meal there before going back to the parks.

At the counter service they had a menu for us to look at and prepared it separately, but I preferred sit down at the parks and counter service at the resort. It much much quicker at the resort too since it wasn't as busy.

We went with friends; the wife was gf. We had been quite a few times, but this was their first, and she'd been diagnosed with celiac only a few months before. Our first meal was at Olivia's, and we had, of course, noted that she needed gf on all our reservations. We got the menus and she's looking, ruling out the pasta, the flatbread, anything with seasoning. She was ready to order, but the waitress wouldn't take our order until the chef had come out. He came out and said hello and asked if this was her first visit. She said yes. He said, "You probably have an idea of your choices of the menu, then?" She pointed to two or three things, and he said, "Well, actually I can make you anything on this menu except the crab cakes." And she started to cry and cry. And the whole vacation was wonderful like that. The only problem she had, was when she snuck a fry off her dh's plate. And advance warning, if that happens... they have drugs at the first aid station.

We just got back from 11 days at WDW. my DS14 is recently gluten free, so we did not know he would be gluten free when we first made our reservations. Overall, he was pleased with the gluten free options. At counter service restaurants, we would just go in and ask to see that Allergy Menu while waiting in line. The downside was that some individual restaurants did not have many gluten free choices, but food court style locations worked well for us so that each person could go to a different counter to find something. Desert options were not so good at many places, but he did not mind as we got GF cupcakes from Disney Springs

He was so happy to have so many choices.

Some of his favorites

Raglan Road - gluten free fish and chips (the also have gluten free onion rings, but we did not try those)

Sprinkles - GF red velvet cupcakes (he thought these cupcakes were much better than the ones at Baby Cakes)

Baby Cakes - cookie sandwiches - they have a variety of kinds of cookies and fillings

Casey's Corner- hot dog on GF bun with French fries- the chili was not GF but they gave him a dish of shredded cheese and he added jalapeños from the fixings bar.

Skipper's Canteen in MK- he really liked the falafel which is GF, but he thought the GF noodle bowl (like fancy ramen was too bland even after adding extra jalapeños. He like spicy food) - He liked the GF rice pudding desert. - the Waitress here was annoying and made rude comments when she thought he had eaten some of his sisters chicken which was not GF, but he was eating her plain rice.

Tangerine Cafe in Epcot - we did not order a specific GF meal here, but he can tolerate small amounts of gluten.

GF pizza - he had 2 or 3 pizzas while we were there

Bacon cheese burger on GF bun with fries

GF chicken tenders with fries

The Bakery in the Norway area of Epcot has a rice pudding desert (I think it is called Rice Dream, but it is not the frozen dairy free ice cream) with a fruit purée on top that he really liked.

Every time we ordered a GF meal, it was prepared separately and brought out by a different person, so often he did have to wait a bit longer to get his food. Sometimes we talked to a manager at quick service places, but not always since he could order right off the allergy menu. We never talked to a chef in any table service restaurants, but again he is able to ordr straight off the allergy menus. He can tolerate small amounts of gluten, so we don't have to be a vigilant as some people.

Edited to to fix spelling and auto correct errors

Edited by City Mouse

My MIL has been eating gluten free for 15 years, and this is the first (and only) vacation she was able to put her guard down because the employees were so helpful. She loved it!

I completely agree.  I was diagnosed celiac in 1990.  Disney World is the one place that I've found I can relax and know that I won't get sick.  Since it is a constant in my life, it is wonderful to take a vacation and not have to worry about food!  (I'm trying to get my family on board for taking me there for my 50th birthday!)

• Like 1

We just got back from 11 days at WDW. my DS14 is recently gluten free, so we did not know he would be gluten free when we first made our reservations. Overall, he was pleased with the gluten free options. At counter service restaurants, we would just go in and ask to see that Allergy Menu while waiting in line. The downside was that some individual level actions did not have many gluten free choices, but food court style locations worked well for us so that each person could go to a different counter to find something. Desert options were not so good at many places, but he did not mind as we got GF cupcakes from Disney Springs

He was so happy to have so many choices.

Some of his favorites

Raglan Road - gluten free fish and chips (the also have gluten free onion rings, but we did not try those)

Sprinkles - GF red velvet cupcakes (he thought these cupcakes were much better than the ines at BAby Cakes)

Baby Cakes - cookie sandwiches - they have a variety of kids of cookies and fillings

Casey's Corner- hot dog on GF bun with French fries- the chili was not GF but they gave him a dish of shredded cheese and he added jalapeños from the fixings bar.

Skipper's Canteen in MK- he really liked the falafel which is GF, but he thought the GF noodle bown (like fancy ramen was too bland even after adding extra jalapeños. He like spicy food) - He liked the GF rice pudding desert. - the Waters's here was annoying and mad every rude comments when she thought he had eaten some of his sisters chicken which was not GF, but he was eating her plain rice.

Tangerine Cafe in Epcot - we did not order a specific GF meal for home here, but he can tolerate small amounts of gluten.

GF pizza - he had 2 or 3 pizzas while we were there

Bacon cheese burger on GF bun with fries

GF chicken tenders with fries

The Bakery in the Norway area of Epcot has a rice pudding desert (I think it is called Rice Dream, but it is not the frozen dairy free ice cream) with a fruit purée on top that he really liked.

Every time we ordered a GF meal, it was prepared separately and brought out by a different person, so often he did have to wait a bit longer to get his food. Sometimes we talked to a manager at quick service places, but not always since he could order right off the allergy menu. We never talked to a chef in any table service restaurants, but again he is able to ordr straight off the allergy menus. He can tolerate small amounts of gluten, so we don't have to be a vigilant as some people.

Thank you so much for the suggestions! My daughter is in a similar situation as in traces don't seem to bother her, but if she eats regular bread or something else with a lot of gluten, it causes a pretty bad (as in very annoying, but not life-threatening) allergic reaction.

Thanks for all the input! I was hoping some of you might share some of your favorite GF meals too.

Disneyworld is the best place ever for allergies (Disneyland, not so much). My son never eats better when we travel.

My favorite counter service meal is the 1/2 roasted chicken from Cosmic Rays Cafe in Magic Kingdom. Easily feeds an adult & child. Favorite sit down is O'hanah. My son had several allergies beyond gluten. The chef made him everything we were eating. There was only one sauce we had that they couldn't replicate for him. The Kona Cafe is also a favorite.

• Like 1