Menu

Swimsuits for young ladies

plain jane

We are going through some life stuff and money is beyond tight, almost non existent for the next couple months.  I have an opportunity for my kids to get into swimming lessons for free, but my young teens don't have swim wear.  Would buying them used swim wear be that unsanitary?  I plan to spray the crotch and breast area with a light coat of Spray 9, which is supposed to kill most virus and bacteria and wash in hot.  Would this be sufficient?   I know it's not ideal, but wanted to check that there wasn't something I wasn't aware about before searching out used swimwear.  I don't mind used clothes and even used swim wear for little kids but somehow getting used ladies swim wear made me wonder if there's something I don't know.  They would both require ladies sizing.

I would compare used swimwear normally with underwear, though I did borrow a swimsuit at a friend's house once. I would see if I could find a good deal on a new suit vs. buying used.

With an adult's under garments (swimwear/underwear) yes there are greater odds the woman had an under breast yeast infection I guess. And I suppose leaks from time of the month or something.

Maybe if you give us a budget we could help find links for new?

Since swimwear is made to withstand chlorine, I would simply soak in peroxide and vinegar - a very, very effective anti-bacterial/viral/fungal combo - then toss in the laundry with a small amount of chlorine, hot water, dry on high. Heat is your friend. It damages the outer membrane/wall of microbes. It should be fine.

That said Old Navy and other stores like Kohls online might still have new but last year's stock on sale cheap.

Edited by FaithManor
  • Like 2

yes - I have no problem with used swimwear.  Wash it well and go ahead.  

The reward value of learning to swim is very high and the possibility of catching something from very well washed clothing is very very very very low.  In fact, my guess is that the risk is non-existent.

• Like 6

I'd buy swimwear at a thrift store.  It's going to be washed first and then dunked in chemicals at the pool so no problem to me.  lol

I agree with the poster above--JCP had some cute bathing suits cheap last time I was there!!  Sears has been good for swimsuits, too.

Honestly, washing them in the washer would be fine.  But if you are doubtful, you can probably find new with tags swimwear on eBay for pretty cheap.  Also, I have a ton of used swimwear (boys and girls) that I haven't had a chance to unload yet.  What size and sex are your children?  If I have that size, I can send them to you for nothing (Just PM me).

ETA:  I just saw that you want ladies' sizes.  What ladies size?  I just might have something that my teen DD has outgrown.  Most of hers are 2 pieces, but I have a few 1 pieces, as well (Those are outgrown competition suits, mostly).

We are going through some life stuff and money is beyond tight, almost non existent for the next couple months.  I have an opportunity for my kids to get into swimming lessons for free, but my young teens don't have swim wear.  Would buying them used swim wear be that unsanitary?  I plan to spray the crotch and breast area with a light coat of Spray 9, which is supposed to kill most virus and bacteria and wash in hot.  Would this be sufficient?   I know it's not ideal, but wanted to check that there wasn't something I wasn't aware about before searching out used swimwear.  I don't mind used clothes and even used swim wear for little kids but somehow getting used ladies swim wear made me wonder if there's something I don't know.  

Edited by reefgazer