Menu

Did you hear about the mall fights in several cities

Only me

I saw some cell phone footage of the one in Aurora, IL and there were a lot of people but it didn't seem like many were fighting. Looked more like  crowds rushing to see what was going on. But I did see some fighting going on.  Any crowd that gets out of control is scary!!

• Like 1

Was it just day after Christmas deals? People not expecting the crowds? Today is the second busiest shopping day of the year but I think a lot of people forget that - unlike Black Friday. And it's more stressful shopping typically because people are trying to do returns.

There was someone who called in that there was a gun here-which doesn't seem to be the case, but it definitely caused a rush for the exit, which may have been the intent.

I think that's one of the scariest things. It sounds like it was just a bunch of stupid teens here. I'm not sure yet. I have heard reports from police scanners that it was over 500 people. Regardless many people were very scared. I saw videos of people rushing down escalators to get out of the mall. It was also in several different areas in the mall so hard to get away from. It seems like it was a flash mob type thing but involved fighting.

Was it just day after Christmas deals? People not expecting the crowds? Today is the second busiest shopping day of the year but I think a lot of people forget that - unlike Black Friday. And it's more stressful shopping typically because people are trying to do returns.

No, this wasn't just crowded malls. There were large groups of teens wandering around and they didn't appear to be doing much shopping or returning (there are multiple videos), just hanging out and then there was running, screaming, stores closing. Police used tear gas in the mall near us and are now saying it was organized on social media.

My young cousin (8.5 months pregnant) was in the mall yesterday, in Chattanooga, where youth lit fireworks inside the mall.When they first went off, it was thought it was gunfire. She's now scared to go back to the mall. 

http://patch.com/tennessee/nashville/shots-fired-hamilton-place-mall-near-chattanooga

Edited by Mandamom

When I was in college, so roughly 10 years ago, there were huge fights at our mall. It was essentially a bunch of teens on Friday and Saturday night unaccompanied by adults who all congregated at the mall to hang out. Every Friday and Saturday night at least a hundred teens would just go to the mall to hang out. For years there were rarely ever huge issues. But for a good solid month huge fights kept breaking out. The mall had to implement a rule that after 5 pm anyone under 18 couldn't be at the mall without an adult.

I saw someone refer to it as "Gang member shopping day".  The idea was to gather, create a disturbance/distraction, and then tag team shoplift.  

:huh:  :sad:

Ha, so, nothing to do with actual gangs then.  It's just a new flash mob.

This whole thing sounded so weird when I finally heard it on the news. It reminded me a little of the clown thing. Like, here's this phenomenon, vaguely inspired by some internet chatter, that spread, that's cruel and horrible, but no one really seems to know why or what's the underlying reasoning. It's just a need for random chaos. 

Yes, one of the nicer malls in the Cleveland area had a gang of teens come for a fight that was set up on social media.  It's happened before but at places in less affluent neighborhoods.  (Those fights got news media coverage also, but in this particular instance a lot of the teens traveled outside of their area to go to this specific mall for some reason.)  Everyone around here is extremely annoyed, but not sure what to do about it!