Menu

Book a Week 2016 - BW52 - 2016 it's a wrap!

Robin M

Hi all,

You guys are super-impressive prolific readers! I fear I am spending too much time reading the WTM site and too little reading books. I would like to change that next year. I haven't read this thread every week since I first popped in this summer, but whenever I do, I am always inspired. I used to read almost a book a day in high school! Sadly, I haven't read much more than finishing the books I first posted about last summer. I'm pretty sure I read at least a few books before that as well (I'm pretty sure Henrietta Lacks was this year; I know El tiempo entre costuras (The Time in Between) was, and how recently was The Girls of Atomic City??). Also getting through some books on tape with book-averse dd - currently on Jane Eyre. Love that book. :) I got a little book to write down books read and books to read, but haven't really gotten it organized yet. Do you mind if instead of sharing my anemic list from this year, I think about how to read more next year?

Can I start by asking when you find the time to read? I think a big part of my problem is I've lost the habit. I am a creature of habit, it turns out. I don't know if I'll ever achieve the number of books many of you do - I'm not a super-speedy reader - but I know I could manage to read a lot more than I have been, especially with only one kid left at home.

Welcome Matryoshka! I'm also in the don't watch much tv camp and my evenings are spent reading. I even weaned hubby off of tv so we spent time together reading and talking about our reads. I too have the issue of getting distracted while reading on my iPad which is why I go through long periods of only reading print books. Then spurts of only ebooks until I miss the physical experience of reading a real book. The ebooks are convenient when out and about and I listen to Audiobooks in the car. Lists are great but build in time for mood reading. I have a list on my personal blog of books I'd like to get through this year but as most folks here can't resist buying when the urge strikes. Glad you are diving in.

• Like 14

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And here is the final list, including my current read, which I'm committed to finishing before the end of the year.

80. Angel of Oblivion Maja Haderlap (novel)

79. Mindfulness in Plain English Henepola Gunaratana (nonfiction, audiobook)

78. We Should All Be Feminists Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (nonfiction)

77. Breakfast of Champions Kurt Vonnegut (novel, audiobook)

76. What We Talk About When We Talk About Love Raymond Carver (short stories)

75. The Last Battle C.S. Lewis (novel)

74. Fairy Tale as Myth/Myth as Fairy Tale Jack Zipes (nonfiction, audiobook)

73. The Nutcracker E.T.A. Hoffmann (illustrated short story)

72. The Magician’s Nephew C.S. Lewis (novel)

71. Some Kind of Fairy Tale Graham Joyce (novel)

70. Between the World and Me Ta-Nehisi Coates (nonfiction, audiobook)

69. What I Talk About When I Talk About Running (nonfiction, audiobook)

68. Explorer 1-3 various authors (graphic short stories)

67. The Sleeper and the Spindle Neil Gaiman (illustrated short story)

66. Paradiso Dante Alighieri (poetry)

65. Once Upon a Time: A Short History of Fairy Tale Marina Warner (nonfiction)

64. The Ocean at the End of the Lane Neil Gaiman (novella, audiobook)

63. The Body Stephen King (novella)

62. We Have Always Lived in the Castle Shirley Jackson (novella)

61. The Children of Green Knowe L.M. Boston (novel)

60. Born Standing Up Steve Martin (nonfiction, audiobook)

59. The Sorrows of Young Werther Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (novella)

58. Murder at the Roosevelt Hotel in Cedar Rapids Diane Fannon-Langton (nonfiction)

57. The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories Angela Carter (short stories)

56. The Turn of the Screw Henry James (novella, audiobook, re-read)

55. Dune Frank Herbert (novel)

54. Through the Woods Emily Carroll (graphic short stories, re-read)

53. Mosquito Dan James (graphic novel)

52. Raven Girl Audrey Niffenegger (short story)

51. Friends with Boys Faith Erin Hicks (graphic novel)

50. The Adventures of Superhero Girl Faith Erin Hicks (graphic novel)

49. A Writer’s Notebook Ralph Fletcher (nonfiction)

48. Summer Knight Jim Butcher (novel, audiobook)

47. 3arabi Song Zeina Hashem Beck (poetry)

46. Driving Without a License Janine Joseph (poetry)

45. Doll Studies: Forensics Carol Guess (poetry)

44. Cave Canem Lorna Robinson (nonfiction)

43. An Iranian Metamorphosis Mana Neyestani (graphic non-fiction)

42. Salt Water Amnesia Jeffrey Skinner (poetry)*

41. Flaming Iguanas: An Illustrated All-Girl Road Novel Thing Erika Lopez (novel)

40. Survivor Chuck Palahniuk (novel, audiobook)

39. Howl and Other Poems Allen Ginsberg (poetry, re-read)

38. Hamlet William Shakespeare (play, re-read)

37. First Bite: How We Learn to Eat Bee Wilson (nonfiction, audiobook)

36. A Separate Peace John Knowles (novel)

35. Clash of Civilizations Over an Elevator in Piazza Vittorio Amara Lakhous (novella)

34. The Return of the King J.R.R. Tolkien (novel)

33. As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales… Cary Elwes (nonfiction, audiobook)

32. The Island of Last Truth Flavia Company (novella)

31. Twelfth Night William Shakespeare (play, re-read)

30. Peace Is Every Step Thich Nhat Hanh (nonfiction, audiobook)

29. The Two Towers J.R.R. Tolkien (novel)

28. Dear Continuum: Letters to a Poet Crafting Liberation Mariahadessa Ekere Tallie (nonfiction)

27. Collected Stories Gabriel Garcia Marquez (short stories)

26. Furiously Happy Jenny Lawson (nonfiction, audiobook)

25. Demian Hermann Hesse (novella)

24. A Moveable Feast Ernest Hemingway (nonfiction, audiobook)

23. The Girl Who Raced Fairyland All the Way Home Catherynne M. Valente (novel)

22. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? Mindy Kaling (nonfiction, audiobook)

21. Reading Like a Writer Francine Prose (nonfiction)

20. Let’s Explore Diabetes with Owls David Sedaris (nonfiction, audiobook)

19. Civil War Mark Millar (graphic novel)

18. The Book of Merlyn T.H. White (novella)

17. Distant Light Antonio Moresco (novella)

16. Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead Tom Stoppard (play)

15. The Book Thief Markus Zusak (novel)*

14. Drinking Coffee Elsewhere Z.Z. Packer (short stories)

13. The Making of a Story Alice LaPlante (nonfiction, short stories)*

12. 84, Charing Cross Road Helene Hanff (nonfiction)

11. The Tunnel Russell Edson (poetry)*

10. The Blue Fox Sjon (novella)

9. Flash Fiction Forward James Thomas and Robert Shaphard (Eds.) (short stories)*

8. The Strange Library Haruki Murakami (short story)

7. Oh Baby Kim Chinquee (short stories, poetry)

6. Lying Sam Harris (nonfiction)*

5. The Fellowship of the Ring J.R.R. Tolkien (novel)

4. The Rose Metal Press Field Guide to Writing Flash Fiction Tara L. Masih (ed.) (nonfiction, short stories)*

3. Gutshot Amelia Gray (short stories)

2. You Animal Machine Eleni Sikelianos (nonfiction, poetry)

1. Sputnik Sweetheart Haruki Murakami (novel)

• Like 17

Welcome Matryoshka! I'm also in the don't watch much tv camp and my evenings are spent reading. I even weaned hubby off of tv so we spent time together reading and talking about our reads. I too have the issue of getting distracted while reading on my iPad which is why I go through long periods of only reading print books. Then spurts of only ebooks until I miss the physical experience of reading a real book. The ebooks are convenient when out and about and I listen to Audiobooks in the car. Lists are great but build in time for mood reading. I have a list on my personal blog of books I'd like to get through this year but as most folks here can't resist buying when the urge strikes. Glad you are diving in.

Gosh, it certainly would be helpful if the hubby liked to read!  Hmmm... maybe I shouldn't wonder where youngest dd got her reading aversion.  :glare:   The only print material I've ever seen him reading are programming code books, electrical code and steam heating manuals.  :rolleyes:

Don't worry, I won't stick slavishly to my list. :)  I'm too rabbit-traily.  But I think it will be very helpful to remember all the good books I want to read, and also not to get too overwhelmed about what to read next (like, of all the books there are...).  I'm sure I'll be dynamically adding to it all the time as I read along here...

• Like 14

Does watching over 60 hours of BBC Dickens count? I scheduled the better known stories, threw a couple of kiddie biographies at her to read in the car and thought this was perfectly adequate.

"Mum, can you order Martin Chuzzlewit and Bleak House from the library?"

"Martin who?  :huh:  Yes, of course dear." (sob, sob, I am developing a syndrome)

. Tell me more about this Goodreads - I just make and account and set a goal? That might be enough... maybe try for 26 the first year?

This is an awesome group. My brain gets fed just reading what you all are doing, and I am inspired. :)

I do plan to alternate with some more comfort reading. I don't find complete fluff (steamy romance, for example) comforting, but I do like some of those cozy type books. I also like to alternate not just languages but fiction/nonfiction (this is why I'm geeking out about having found a possible nonfiction read in German...)

One can do a lot with goodreads, but for this year I just made an account, set a goal and log the titles. I think 26 sounds great if you read more thick books or more slow to read books.

Every number is okay, I'm that type of girl that prefer to have a goal that I can meet, then being too ambitious...

I like your idea of a reading plan!

I will think about that.

• Like 15

I got a kindle paperwhite for Christmas, signed up for my free month of kindle unlimited and promptly downloaded some Georgette Heyer titles that have been recommended here! I started Cotillion last night. I'm excited to have a better screen for reading e-books -- my phone is ok, but it sure kills the battery to read a long book on it.

The short version of my 2016 wrap is that I'm on book 78. My favorites were:

Beethoven for a Later Age: The Journey of a String Quartet by Edward Dusinberre  becaue it captures the joy of playing music   

The Plover by Brian Doyle  because of the beautiful prose

Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro  because of the memorable characters & evocative writing

The Dream Quest of Vellitt Boe by Kij Johnson  because of the succinct, evocative writing and feminist take on Lovecraft

I read lots of mysteries, some fantasy and there are a few book titles that I recorded and just can't remember what they were!

Jenn, You are going to love your Kindle! I had no idea you were reading your ebooks on your phone. I'm feeling a bit of guilt for all the times I told you to check overdrive for the next in a series! Glad you had a great trip, the pictures are lovely!

I think you were posting while I was writing the other response.   :)  Hmmmm... I may have to rethink my snobby attitude toward e-readers. :tongue_smilie:  Technically I think I could get an app on my phone, which is fairly large - but should I think about maybe getting one of those with paperwhite instead?  What do you guys prefer?  Is it better to have a separate device, or is it easier to keep it on one device?

You also have me thinking about Audible.  That I can get on my phone, right?  I couldn't use it while working out (because rowing), and I don't like to be plugged in when I take a walk... but I might see myself listening to it while making dinner or doing housework.  I actually tend to avoid those things because they're boring - I sometimes find I can do them more easily if I'm talking on the phone (I suspect I might be a bit ADDish) - maybe it could actually make me do more work around the house, lol...

And I do think I need to make a list.  Never done that before!  Working on one now.   :D

Kindle's are my device of choice. I use a basic fire for reading during the night which limits how much I bother dh. Not sure if you can read a paperwhite in the dark? I will admit I like the fire because I go online too.....

I also have the basic reader with 3G for emergencies. It is my reader of choice for the car. I can wear sunglasses and use it, big plus. Also I have a tendency to get a bit carsick when I read while riding. The reader seems to be my best solution. I can read on most roads with one, only super curvy bother me with it. I read quite a bit in the car. Both dc's are totally independent learners now so I tend to ride along with dh, he works from home, on his errands etc.

Audible, I am sure it is far nicer because you actually own the book but recently I have started using overdrive to stream book via my kindle fire. Works well enough for my current purpose which is to listen while I quilt and cook.

Goodreads, my best advice is to go create an account and have a go. For years I simply used mine to track my reading and dd's. I also used to to share book info with my best friend. Many BaWer's have links in their siggy to their accounts, I finally joined the BaWer's last year and have friends. It's fun and an easy way to find the books that people are talking about. One touch and they are on your list. The bookshelf feature is great, definitely explore that.

• Like 14

Rose, I was going to suggest this book:

14347239.jpg

But once I looked it up, I realized...

A) I'm not even sure that's a real chicken on the cover

and

B) Whatever it is is singular, not plural, so it's definitely not chickenS on the cover. (Oh, wait. There's a weather vane w/ a chicken. So... maybe???)

:lol:

Matrysoshka, I too am impressed by your multi-language reading. One of my goals for 2016 was to plug my way through a Spanish book (because my Spanish is very, very rusty), but for various reasons & a very rough year, I didn't tackle it. Perhaps in 2017.

In case you are interested, a book I read this year was translated from Catalan: The Island of Last Truth by Flavia Company.

Oh, I fully intend to to give myself a little leeway in interpretation for some of these categories . . . . but you have to help me out with this one:  "Bananas!"  Huh???   ;)  :p

• Like 12

Oh, I fully intend to to give myself a little leeway in interpretation for some of these categories . . . . but you have to help me out with this one:  "Bananas!"  Huh???   ;)  :p

I am responsible for the saint and sinner categories--in part because I am curious to see who you put in each!!  :laugh:

Oh yes to leeway and non-linear thinking!  :lol:

• Like 10

I finished Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang. The title story is the one which the movie Awakening was based on, and it was excellent. But I really loved the final story as well: 'Liking What You See: A Documentary' which was about a near-future in which neuroscientists have figured out how to reversibly ablate the brain areas that control our judgments of a face's attractiveness, and the debates about whether or not this is a good thing. Really fascinating story that extends some of the ideas in The Circle. I didn't adore every single story in this collection, but a couple of them were excellent and they were all well-written and thought provoking. I'd recommend the collection to anybody who likes speculative fiction - imagining our world with something significant different about it, and following that where it leads.

• Like 14

I also read nearly all Beverly Cleary’s Ramona and Henry Huggins books aloud to my kids over the summer.

We listened to all the Henry Huggins on CD....Neil Patrick Harris narrated and he did a great job. 

Most of what others have said applies to me as well, especially what Erin said above.

I have a Kindle that goes everywhere with me. Sometimes I know I'll have time to read such as when I go to a doctor's appointment, but I sometimes find myself in a situation with unexpected time to kill. If it's always with me, I can always pick up a book.

I don't watch a lot of tv. Dh and I watch a few shows in the evening, but he works some nights, so we're not watching tv every night. I also try to limit my online time (to me that's harder than not watching tv). 

I can't fall asleep without reading at least a little bit. Usually it's about a half hour, but sometimes it's longer. Tonight's reading won't last very long because it's past 11 pm and here I am online. ;)

I listen to audiobooks from Audible. This is something fairly recent with me (the past few years). My mind would wander too much to listen to audio books. However, I found that if I listen while doing mindless work like folding laundry, chopping vegetables, etc. I can listen to a book. I can't do it while knitting or crocheting though because I either lose my place on my project or lose my place in the book. As long as the activity doesn't require concentration/attention, I can give my attention to the book.

My son is an only - not technically but my stepson was an adult when ds was born, so we only had one kid at at time. He's also 19 and attending community college while living at home so his need for mama is minimal to barely there. There were a few years when he was young and as yet undiagnosed/untreated for ADHD when I couldn't read. By the time my day with a very active young child was over, I was too tired to do much of anything, even reading. It can be easy to get out of the habit, but I found it easy to get back into it too.

I've always been a big reader, even when I was young. I'm the type who will read the back of the cereal box just so I have something to read. I think that makes a difference in how determined one is to carve out time to read.  I read to relax, dh watches tv to relax. Neither is better, just different. I think those of us who feel like we need to read, will find the time. For others it requires more work to carve out time.

Even though I'm a lifelong reader and almost always find time to read, I still noticed my reading increased when I got a Kindle. I was a holdout, swearing I'd never want to give up print books. Dh didn't listen to me and for once that was a good thing. :lol:  He bought me a Kindle for my birthday in 2011 and it's one of the best gifts anyone ever gave me. An ereader makes it so easy to read on the go imo.

Recently I discovered that making a list of books I want to read in a specific year is helpful. That's something else (along with ebooks) I resisted. I was adamant about wanting my reading to happen naturally. Unplanned. Yes, I had a TBR list, but no schedule. At the end of the year I'd always find there were books I meant to read but never got around to starting. A few years ago (inspired by people in BaW) I sat down and made a list of books to read that year and was surprised to find how helpful that was. Again, I kept it realistic for me. And I left enough wiggle room for book club books and new discoveries - there are always new discoveries when you hang around these threads. But I had a list of at least some books to read, and it made choosing my next book so much easier. I'm still working on my 2017 list.

I don't compare my reading to anyone else's. If I challenge myself to read 50 books and I see a friend's challenge is 100, I don't think, "Oh no, maybe I should try to read more." I make goals that are realistic for me. That means I read more books than some of my friends and fewer books than others. Both are okay. My reading goals are personal and non-competitive. 

You pretty much described me in reading habits. I literally can not stop myself from reading every single thing around me if I don't have a book. I agree that when one is so drawn to reading that it's just a must to make it happen. It would be like not breathing in a way. 

However, I disagree about TV  as not being better than reading. ;) Blasphemy! 

I also differ with my Kindle. I have one. I also have a Nook which I never use anymore. I use my kindle but I still find myself reaching for physical books more often. I just prefer reading physical books. I like having both but my preference is old fashioned. 

Thanks to everyone who gave great ideas on how to fit more reading in. I think my biggest obstacle is like Angelabood's problem above...  my phone... I used to bring a book everywhere, but now even when I do, I'll check my phone 'for a minute' and then waste almost the whole time futzing around on it instead of reading my book...   also, I do not own an ereader.  My thinking is that I don't like reading on a screen, but considering what I just confessed, maybe I should reexamine that bias, lol...I do love the heft of a real book, though...

I have to LOL at this one, just because I have finally gotten back into exercising, but my exercise of choice is rowing and Pilates.  Neither are at all conducive to do while reading. :lol:

Wish youngest dd weren't so book-averse.  We go like molasses through books because I basically had to bargain with her to listen to them at all, and then it's only to go to certain places.

I am probably also watching too much TV - don't have cable, but do have a good antenna and Netflix.  I think the key is to find a daily time, as many of you suggest.  I think bedtime is bad for me... I'll fall asleep.  Maybe just set a goal for 30 min a day at first?  I need some outside accountability.  Tell me more about this Goodreads - I just make and account and set a goal?  That might be enough...  maybe try for 26 the first year?

Keeping up with reading in foreign languages is how I've kept fluent.   :)  And it makes my brain happy.  My brain needs food now that I'm not teaching the kids anymore.  Two in college and one DE.  Homeschooling was great brain food - I'm in withdrawal.

My major time suck is the internet. This thread for one.... 

My goal for next year is to stop mindless internet surfing. 

Just to give you an idea of where I started back when Robin very first began these threads my goal was 12 books for the year. I figured I could do 1 book a month. I have steadily increased since then. Of course it helps that I'm not chasing toddlers/preschoolers any more. Those little critters are hazardous to reading time....for anything not a picture book. 

I have let years slip by without reading any German. Huge mistake. I've now started back up. I've found some books at library sales. I'm reading the Harry Potter series in German which is fun. Stacia is great at locating German ebooks for me. :D  She's magic.

I listen to audio books but not while working out. My workouts are not conducive to listening anything other than music and I rarely do that. I've tried the eliptical and such while listening to an audio book. I end up trying to go as hard as I can on such machines and always lose my attention to the book. I just get too wrapped up in the exercise and my body that I have no attention span left for other things.  

I think the hardest part about audio books in the car is having to listen to an audio books your kids want to listen to, and you have to stop yourself from screaming and jumping out the window while driving. I barely made it through The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey. That book was mind numbing! I literally got fidgety and found myself making snide comments to the narrator. That was great practice for me on how to shut my mind off to what I hearing. We will not be listening to the 3rd book in the car. Kids can listen to it on their own! 

Speaking of time I got up early this morning to try and get myself back on my pre-holiday schedule. I was supposed to start working out by 7. I decided to read the half hour (got up at 6:30) and then get started. Yeah. Got sucked into the book and read until 7:45 so didn't workout until 8. Oops. So early morning reading may not be the best idea for me. 

Edited by Mom-ninja.
  • Like 16

Another new-to-the-ereader person here...I am quite sure my year-end count wouldn't be anywhere near what it is thanks to the Paperwhite plus Overdrive (plus an out-of-state subscription to the Brooklyn Public Library because our library's regional Overdrive is tiny).  Since the election I have forsworn my NPR morning puttering with reading instead; I get up before everyone else and get at least an hour in, usually with nonfiction.  But we do TV as a family 2 nights/week usually with PBS, and as TV bores me I either I am knitting or spinning while watching...makes me feel like I am doing something mildly productive.

Unintentionally, I spent a lot of time in the horrors of WWII this year (History/Elsa Morante, Rome; The Narrow Road to the Deep North/Richard Flanagan, Thailand; The Nightingale/Kristin Hannah, France; Man's Search for Meaning/Viktor E Frankl, various deathcamps; Uncle Tungsten/Oliver Sacks, London) and likewise walking the mean streets of New York City (M Train/Patti Smith; A Little Life/Hanya Yanagihara; Between the World and Me/Ta-Nehisi Coates; Fates and Furies/Lauren Groff; On the Move/Oliver Sacks; Eligible/Curtis Sittenfeld; Another Brooklyn/Jacqueline Woodson; Homegoing/Yaa Gyasi; The Mandibles/Lionel Shriver; City on Fire/Garth Risk Hallberg).

Intentionally, I tried to understand more about parenthood and the teen girl (Girls and Sex: Navigating the Complicated New Landscape/Peggy Orenstein; American Girls:  Social Media and the Secret Lives of Teenagers/Nancy Jo Sales; All Joy and No Fun:  The Paradox of Modern Parenthood/Jennifer Senior; and The Gardener and the Carpenter:  What the New Science of Child Development Tells Us About the Relationship Between Parents and Children/Alison Gopnick) and, as an affluent educated white girl who lives in a bubble, the problems of poverty, drugs and racism (Dreamland:  The True Tale of America's Opiate Epidemic/Sam Quinones; White Trash:  The 400 Year Untold History of Class in America/Nancy Isenberg; Evicted:  Poverty and Profit in the American City/Matthew Desmond; the aforementioned Ta-Nehisi Coates book; $2 a Day:  Living on Almost Nothing in America/Kathryn Edin; Hillbilly Elegy:  A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis/J.D. Vance)

I circled back to my favorite categories (memoir, science, current affairs) every time fiction let me down, as it often will let me down, and I have a favorite quote from one of my top-5 books about this very thing:  Maggie Nelson, when dating her life partner, says the following:

"We bantered good-naturedly, yet somehow allowed ourselves to get polarized into a needless binary. That’s
what we both hate about fiction, or at least crappy fiction—it purports to provide occasions for thinking through
complex issues, but really it has predetermined the positions, stuffed a narrative full of false choices, and hooked
you on them, rendering you less able to see out, to get out."--The Argonauts

So my top five books this year were 5.  How Not to be Wrong:  The Power of Mathematical Thinking/Jordan Ellenberg; 4.  Lab Girl/Hope Jahren; 3.  The Argonauts/Maggie Nelson; 2. M Train/Patti Smith and 1.  Barbarian Days:  A Surfing Life/William Finnegan. 

I am up to 63 books which includes quite a few doorstoppers, fiction-wise, and some really bad writing, non-fiction-wise.  But the highlight was tripping over BaW for me!  (I am not alone, whee!) 

Cheers to a new year of reading with purpose or without!

• Like 18

Not my category! :lol: Maybe that monkey book Stacia liked so much. I know it's not Bad Monkey.....I had it at one point but never had a chance to start it.

• Like 11

I was going to copy and paste Robin's questions with my answers for my year end wrap up but I have my numbers and have to be honest and say that while I read my normal number of books this year my stack was lacking depth. Nothing has truly made my heart sing etc, I just read what didn't horrify or bore me. It's been about entertainment and twaddle (good home ed word) for comfort. Not a happy year for me, first we had a huge health scare with dh then my mom died unexpectedly. So in summary.....

313 books completed, Mainly fiction.

27 novellas/short stories

340 My Goodreads count shows this total

25 of my books were audiobooks. This is my big happy find. I was able to work on my quilts and read books. Even better I like some books in audio format that I have never been able to read happily!

138 Cozy Mysteries. I did read a large number of British Cozy Mysteries for a BaW project. I counted today and it appears that I read 85 British Cozies (or books I thought were going to be cozy) last year. I also read 54 cozy mysteries set in other places, many in this category are rereads).

39 Historical Romances. I thought I had read many more;) Favorite authors are Julia Quinn, Mary Jo Putney, Sarah MacLean, Lisa Kleypas, Lorraine Heath, Mary Balogh, and Tessa Dare.

I did read both Linda Castillo's Amish series and Julia Spencer Fleming's mystery series completely. These are definitely not cozy but I loved both series.

I normally read a large number of paranormal series books. I completed very few this year. Some Patricia Briggs and Faith Hunter books were pretty much it. I did read and enjoy Station Eleven and The Passage series in their place, I guess. I have never been a dystopian fan. I preread the Hunger Games because of my kids years ago.....

Plans for next year are much more varied. Looking forward to it.

• Like 18

I'm very much enjoying my current audiobook, Circling the Sun. The narrator is pleasing to the ear and that makes all the difference. I'm profligate with my attention, I realize. I've started the book that dh wants me to read, Holding the Lotus to the Rock, but am not in far enough for it to have captured my interest and my attention has wandered over to a book I started several months ago, The Firebird by Susanna Kearsley. It was here on the BaW group a few years ago that I discovered the name for my favorite kind of fiction, magical realism. I recall some good discussions around what defines this category. I'm not sure The Firebird fits it 100% but there's enough in there to hold my interest. It's more a time-travel book than MR. The first book in this series was, The Winter Sea, which I read a few years ago and enjoyed. This one is similar with the Jacobites as backdrop but this time adding Russian royalty in as well. Writing is ok but the story is holding my interest and I'm determined to finally finish it. 

I, too, have made a list of books I'd like to finish this upcoming year. I'm a mainly e-book reader, I really enjoy my Kindle Paperwhite but my reading has dropped off considerably despite being an English major and a voracious reader as a child, teen and college student. Internet is partly to blame but also life has asked other foci of me that haven't been conducive to chunks of time to read. We don't have a tv but we do have internet and I realize that prioritizing will be key for me wrt getting in the amount of reading I'd like to. I was quite active on this group a few years ago and so enjoyed the community and support of the 'old-timers', you know who you are ;)

At this point I guess I'm beginning to consider reading an act of rebellion against the prevailing cultural climate of fast, insipid, unimaginative, digitalized one-dimensional mediocrity. Yes, it's rather a pessimistic view but sadly it feels like a realistic one as I look around and see what is unfolding nationally. And this kind of rebellious act appeals to my Aries nature aries-smiley-emoticon.gif

On another note my ds is currently reading The Reader, book one of the Sea of Ink and Gold series, about a world where reading doesn't exist save for one book that is highly sought after. Highly recommended, he says.

Edited by shukriyya
  • Like 14

Can someone enlighten me with bingo guidelines? Do audiobooks count? Rereads? YA? Plays? Is there a page count minimum? Anything else I should know?

I don't think anyone else has answered so here's my take on the "rules".

When I first joined the group I was told that a book must be about 100 pages long in order to be counted towards my 52. That's why I have the novella category on Goodreads, to separate out my shorter stories. For the most part that is probably true on Bingo too.

Audiobooks definitely count!

Rereads, plays, YA all can count too. Last year we actually had revisit an old friend and a play as separate categories. Not sure if we have a banned book category in this year's Bingo but those tend to be YA for many of us.

Robin is the ultimate judge because it's her game ;) but when you have a question post it. Someone will try and help.

• Like 15

I think you were posting while I was writing the other response.   :)  Hmmmm... I may have to rethink my snobby attitude toward e-readers. :tongue_smilie:  Technically I think I could get an app on my phone, which is fairly large - but should I think about maybe getting one of those with paperwhite instead?  What do you guys prefer?  Is it better to have a separate device, or is it easier to keep it on one device?

I love my Paperwhite! The fact that it is a dedicated e-reader and I can't do anything else on it (like surf the boards) means I get more reading done. I can see the screen in direct sunlight as well as while wearing sunglasses.

Kindle's are my device of choice. I use a basic fire for reading during the night which limits how much I bother dh. Not sure if you can read a paperwhite in the dark? I will admit I like the fire because I go online too.....

You can read paperwhite in the dark - no problem.

At this point I guess I'm beginning to consider reading an act of rebellion against the prevailing cultural climate of fast, insipid, unimaginative, digitalized one-dimensional mediocrity. Yes, it's rather a pessimistic view but sadly it feels like a realistic one as I look around and see what is unfolding nationally. And this kind of rebellious act appeals to my Aries nature aries-smiley-emoticon.gif

Love this! 

As far as I am concerned, there is but one choice of chicken book:  P.G. Wodehouse's Love Among the Chickens.

md10166456189.jpg

The fact that this book exists makes me so happy.  Wodehouse was certainly a genius.

Can I start by asking when you find the time to read?  I think a big part of my problem is I've lost the habit.  I am a creature of habit, it turns out.  I don't know if I'll ever achieve the number of books many of you do - I'm not a super-speedy reader - but I know I could manage to read a lot more than I have been, especially with only one kid left at home.

My answers are similar to the earlier posted ones ... no television, always have a book nearby, have a scheduled reading time (mine is in bed at night), use audiobooks to make chores slightly less boring.

I will also add in that it helps to have books you are excited about reading.  This year I made a shelf of books I wanted to read in my library and have it stocked with library books and books I already owned that I wanted to read.  It like constantly having a great selection that I'm excited about.

• Like 11

Can someone enlighten me with bingo guidelines? Do audiobooks count? Rereads? YA? Plays? Is there a page count minimum? Anything else I should know?

Yes,there is a page count minimum of at least 200 pages.  Novellas and rereads don't count as that would be too easy.  There isn't a category for play this year so no plays.  Young adult is iffy and depends. The young adult novels today are like the regular adult novels of the 70's.  Use your best judgement - it has to have substance.  Yes Harry Potter counts.  Audiobooks are fine as long as it has substance.  Let's say at least 8 hours in length.  Other guidelines - has to be started and completed this year, no carry overs from last year.   I can't think of anything else at the moment. Thanks for asking!

• Like 15

I, too, have made a list of books I'd like to finish this upcoming year. I'm a mainly e-book reader, I really enjoy my Kindle Paperwhite but my reading has dropped off considerably despite being an English major and a voracious reader as a child, teen and college student. Internet is partly to blame but also life has asked other foci of me that haven't been conducive to chunks of time to read. We don't have a tv but we do have internet and I realize that prioritizing will be key for me wrt getting in the amount of reading I'd like to. I was quite active on this group a few years ago and so enjoyed the community and support of the 'old-timers', you know who you are ;)

On another note my ds is currently reading The Reader, book one of the Sea of Ink and Gold series, about a world where reading doesn't exist save for one book that is highly sought after. Highly recommended, he says.

Who are you calling "old", girl?  Delighted to see you returning to this former haunt.  While your reading time may be limited, what about knitting?  Do you carry a hand work project with you?

The fact that this book exists makes me so happy.  Wodehouse was certainly a genius.

Bonus points for Love Among the Chickens:  it is set in and around Lyme Regis.  As if chickens were not enough!

• Like 8

I don't think anyone else has answered so here's my take on the "rules".

When I first joined the group I was told that a book must be about 100 pages long in order to be counted towards my 52. That's why I have the novella category on Goodreads, to separate out my shorter stories. For the most part that is probably true on Bingo too.

Audiobooks definitely count!

Rereads, plays, YA all can count too. Last year we actually had revisit an old friend and a play as separate categories. Not sure if we have a banned book category in this year's Bingo but those tend to be YA for many of us.

Robin is the ultimate judge because it's her game ;) but when you have a question post it. Someone will try and help.

Ack! Novellas! My pocketbook hates you right now if that was the case!   :svengo:

For bingo, the rules are a bit different because novellas would just be way too easy.  If it's a category like reread and play, then that's okay.  However there isn't a play category this year so no.  Rereads for more than one category, nah!   Again too easy.  

Bingo is supposed to be fun, yet challenging as well.  

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 15

Where did your reading take you this year?  

This was a fun year for reading.  I discovered some new favorites though recommendations here!

How many books did you read and did you meet or beat your own personal goal?  Or did you get caught up in reading and forget to keep track like me?  *grin* 

My goal this year was 52 because I knew work and DS would keep me busy.  I read 121 books and will likely get one or two extra ones in there before midnight on the 31st.  Most of my books are shorter books though.

What countries and time periods did you visit?

England (1100 to 1950's) and turn of the century America.

What were your most favorite stories?   Any stories that stayed with you a long time,  left you wanting more or needed to digest for a while before starting another?   Which books became comfort reads.

I discovered Richard Peck this year and found a new favorite author in him. 

What is the one book or the one author you thought you'd never read and found yourself pleasantly surprised that you liked it?

The Giver.  I don't know why I hadn't read it earlier.

Did you read any books that touched you and made you laugh, cry, sing or dance.

All the Richard Peck books.  He just has a way of transporting you to a different time and place and then introducing you to wonderful people.

Any that made you want to toss it across the room in disgust?

Void by Goerges Perec.  It's a book without the letter "e".  So bad. 

Please share a favorite cover or quote.

Remembering a favorite cover or quote is now one of my New Years Resolutions. 
  • Like 16

I was wondering if Middle -Age English is pretty close to Modern English?

A Dutch book from the Middle Ages is written in Middle Dutch.

Students read only fragments of that in Highschool with a modern translation along, as only those who studied Middle Dutch can read it.

A middle age bingo field made me wondering :)

• Like 10

Ack! Novellas! My pocketbook hates you right now if that was the case! :svengo:

For bingo, the rules are a bit different because novellas would just be way too easy. If it's a category like reread and play, then that's okay. However there isn't a play category this year so no. Rereads for more than one category, nah! Again too easy.

Bingo is supposed to be fun, yet challenging as well.

Don't worry no novellas for my bingo. They do automatically go into the books read during 2017 if you are recording all on Goodreads. I like to separate them out because most aren't 100 pages. I can start with 200 now!

Eta...one more time...there are several older cozy mysteries that don't have 200 pages.

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 11

Bananas!

Mumto2, there are no bananas in Bad Monkeys by Matt Ruff. (No monkeys either.)

As crstarlette mentioned, there is author Banana Yoshimoto. I read a collection of her stories years ago solely because her name is Banana. Lol.

I have the Harry Belafonte song running through my head now since reading your post. Maybe a bio of him? Carmen Miranda pops into my head too.

Are there any books set in/on banana plantations/farms?

Maybe a history of slapstick or bad jokes (slipping on a banana peel)?

There are just so many options in the world of bananas!

It will be very fun this year to see which books you put in for the various spaces!

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 10

You pretty much described me in reading habits. I literally can not stop myself from reading every single thing around me if I don't have a book. I agree that when one is so drawn to reading that it's just a must to make it happen. It would be like not breathing in a way. 

However, I disagree about TV  as not being better than reading.  ;) Blasphemy! 

I also differ with my Kindle. I have one. I also have a Nook which I never use anymore. I use my kindle but I still find myself reaching for physical books more often. I just prefer reading physical books. I like having both but my preference is old fashioned. 

My major time suck is the internet. This thread for one.... 

My goal for next year is to stop mindless internet surfing. 

LOL, I also am one that will read anything reflexively.  The problem is that reading on my phone is also reading, just mostly meaningless and random. It makes the brain think it's being fed, but offers so little nourishment it's just hungry again. I think cutting way back on the mindless surfing about (even here on the WTM, alas!) should be a goal for next year.

Just to give you an idea of where I started back when Robin very first began these threads my goal was 12 books for the year. I figured I could do 1 book a month. I have steadily increased since then. Of course it helps that I'm not chasing toddlers/preschoolers any more. Those little critters are hazardous to reading time....for anything not a picture book. 

Maybe I'll try two a month - 24.  That should be somewhat doable...

I have let years slip by without reading any German. Huge mistake. I've now started back up. I've found some books at library sales. I'm reading the Harry Potter series in German which is fun. Stacia is great at locating German ebooks for me.  :D  She's magic.

I have a general rule for myself that I don't read a translation from a language where I can understand the original.  BUT when you're ramping up to more fluent reading, reading something in translation you've read before in your native tongue can be a great strategy.  I first dipped my toe into trying French with Charlotte's Web (La toile de Charlotte ;) )  What else have you been reading in German? Share! :)  There is some decent YA stuff - I loved the Inkheart/Tintenherz trilogy, as well as Herr der Diebe/Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke.  Kai Meyer is also quite prolific in the YA category.  I've read one trilogy of his - a bit trippy!

I used to be able to get German books from the German Saturday School Library, but my kids are done there, so I've lost access. :(  Other than that, I can sometimes get lucky and find something on Amazon if I know what I'm looking for, or I can order from Amazon.de, which ends up being about the same price with shipping as getting them from the foreign language book store.  They had a 40% off everything sale on Black Friday; that's when dd and I made our shopping trip recently. :D  It's hard to use the library for German, they tend to have mostly classics if they have anything.  I'm perfectly capable of reading Goethe and Kafka, just like I can read Melville in English, it's just that I don't always wanna.  If there's lighter fare, it's usually ironically stuff translated from English or pulp Krimis.  Again, much easier to sort if I know a specific book I'm looking for...

• Like 11

I was wondering if Middle -Age English is pretty close to Modern English?

A Dutch book from the Middle Ages is written in Middle Dutch.

Students read only fragments of that in Highschool with a modern translation along, as only those who studied Middle Dutch can read it.

A middle age bingo field made me wondering :)

It sounds like Middle Dutch vs. Modern Dutch is quite similar to Middle English to Modern English.  You would definitely need to either study Middle English or have a modern translation along.  I've read most of Canterbury Tales in Middle English, but it takes a lot of work and I had a modern translation available for when I got completely flabberghasted by what it meant.  Here's a website with old vs. middle vs. modern English (Bible translations - it's the first site I found with sentences written out for comparison).  http://www.bible-researcher.com/engchange.html  I took the Middle Ages square to be a book set in or about that time period.

• Like 11

Has anyone signed up for Book bub?   Have some great freebies and deals!

Book Bub is why I have so many books in my to be read folder on my Kindle.  I very, very, very rarely spend anything on books in the Book Bub emails, but I probably "buy" 3-4 freebies a week.  Some have been so-so, but I've been pleasantly surprised by a few of the freebies, even going on to actually buy the rest in a series or by an author on occasion.

• Like 9

I totally respect Robin's rules for the 52 Books Bingo, but for my insane 240 book Bingo, I'm offering myself a bit more leeway - basically, anything goes!  Because . . . Bananas! and books with "Cake" in the title! and Books you remember reading during elementary school!  and Kraken!  I'm going to allow myself whatever creative license and whatever length of book I can fit into these crazy & fun categories. I've found ideas for about a quarter of them so far . . . I'm having a blast looking, though.  :biggrinjester:

• Like 17

Does watching over 60 hours of BBC Dickens count? I scheduled the better known stories, threw a couple of kiddie biographies at her to read in the car and thought this was perfectly adequate.

"Mum, can you order Martin Chuzzlewit and Bleak House from the library?"

"Martin who? :huh: Yes, of course dear." (sob, sob, I am developing a syndrome)

I just want to like your post as I read many book by bbc series ( just don't count them)

• Like 9

Thanks, Robin, for the overlooked books link!

And, Ethel, for the immigrant authors link.

So many great options to explore.

I knew you'd like the list!   :coolgleamA:

You probably need to start getting donations for when Rose completes her 240 book bingo.  A reward will definitely be in order. She's ready to go to town.  Awesome categories.  

• Like 9

Technically I think I could get an app on my phone, which is fairly large - but should I think about maybe getting one of those with paperwhite instead?  What do you guys prefer?  Is it better to have a separate device, or is it easier to keep it on one device?

You also have me thinking about Audible.  That I can get on my phone, right?  I couldn't use it while working out (because rowing), and I don't like to be plugged in when I take a walk... but I might see myself listening to it while making dinner or doing housework.  I actually tend to avoid those things because they're boring - I sometimes find I can do them more easily if I'm talking on the phone (I suspect I might be a bit ADDish) - maybe it could actually make me do more work around the house, lol...

I love my Paperwhite, but it's a personal preference. I find it easier on the eyes than a tablet or phone, and yes you can read it in the dark but it isn't backlit like other devices. The pages look like pages in a book. I also find it easier to NOT get distracted by being online. With a dedicated ereader all I can do is read the book - no browsing facebook, checking messages, etc. I do sometimes read with my phone next to me in case I want to look up something related to the book I'm reading, but that doesn't distract me like reading on a device that can do other things. 

Yes, I listen to audio books on my phone. I neglected to mention that I use Overdrive for both ebooks and audio books. I borrow a lot of my books from my library as well as the Fairfax County Virginia Library, which I pay for as an out of state resident (it's an e-library card). Also, with Audible, you don't have to have a paid subscription. As a paid member you get credits each month and some sales are exclusive to paid members, but anyone can be a member for free and buy books from them. 

Gosh, it certainly would be helpful if the hubby liked to read!  Hmmm... maybe I shouldn't wonder where youngest dd got her reading aversion.  :glare:   The only print material I've ever seen him reading are programming code books, electrical code and steam heating manuals.  :rolleyes:

Are you ready for this? That was my husband too until I turned his gift idea around on him and bought him a Kindle. At first he had just the most basic model because he didn't read much. Having a Kindle actually got him reading more! He eventually got himself a Paperwhite. All dh's are different, and this might not work with yours.  :lol:

He likes a lot of WWII stuff, so he started by reading mostly WWII non-fiction, then he branched out a bit.

He's currently working his way through the Jack Reacher series on his Kindle.

Goodreads, my best advice is to go create an account and have a go. For years I simply used mine to track my reading and dd's. I also used to to share book info with my best friend. Many BaWer's have links in their siggy to their accounts, I finally joined the BaWer's last year and have friends. It's fun and an easy way to find the books that people are talking about. One touch and they are on your list. The bookshelf feature is great, definitely explore that.

I think this was already answered, but yes you can read on a Paperwhite in the dark. 

I was the same as you with Goodreads. I didn't really take advantage of it, but then started keeping track of my books, making bookshelves, making "friends", etc. and now I really like it.

We keep talking about Kindles, but they aren't the only ereaders. Many people like the Nook or the Kobo. My daughter-in-law and her sister both read on the Nook and love it. I think ereaders in general are great. I just happen to be a big Amazon customer, so a Kindle makes the most sense for me.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 10

Hi all,

You guys are super-impressive prolific readers!  I fear I am spending too much time reading the WTM site and too little reading books.  I would like to change that next year.  I haven't read this thread every week since I first popped in this summer, but whenever I do, I am always inspired.  I used to read almost a book a day in high school!  Sadly, I haven't read much more than finishing the books I first posted about last summer.  I'm pretty sure I read at least a few books before that as well (I'm pretty sure Henrietta Lacks was this year; I know El tiempo entre costuras (The Time in Between) was, and how recently was The Girls of Atomic City??). Also getting through some books on tape with book-averse dd - currently on Jane Eyre.  Love that book. :) I got a little book to write down books read and books to read, but haven't really gotten it organized yet. Do you mind if instead of sharing my anemic list from this year, I think about how to read more next year?

Can I start by asking when you find the time to read?  I think a big part of my problem is I've lost the habit.  I am a creature of habit, it turns out.  I don't know if I'll ever achieve the number of books many of you do - I'm not a super-speedy reader - but I know I could manage to read a lot more than I have been, especially with only one kid left at home.

Next I think I should come up with a working to-read list.  Recently I've bought:

For Christmas I got: 

The Violinist's Thumb by Sam Kean - my brother always recommends great nonfiction, so I'm looking forward to that

I had gotten out of the habit of reading for myself (was just focusing on stuff to do with homeschool or the kids) and the BaW threads really helped me this past year. I started out sure I would not get a book a week done but I did. (I did forget to check in here every week but am going to try next year.)

I started doing audiobooks this year because the kids liked them so much and we had Audible for awhile. So I tried a couple of books for myself and got a cheap bluetooth earpiece so I can listen while doing chores and it's been really working well even though I never thought I'd be able to pay attention to audiobooks.

I read The Violinist's Thumb this year. I had just gotten it at the library based on the cover and coincidentally it discussed an interesting medical condition I'd been reading about.

• Like 10

Can't keep up with the thread -- got to get Christmas dinner (2.0) started.  We opened presents with oldest ds last night and are having roast beast and yorkshire puddings and Christmas crackers tonight with ds and dn (dear nephew).  Must get to the store and clear the deck for more fun!

Stopped by, though, with a serious recommendation for Rose's banana book bingo bind: Banana: The Fate of the Fruit that Changed the World.  I read this 2-3 years ago and highly recommend it. Dan Koeppel is a good writer who makes the subjects of banana cultivation and shipping, and banana republics and kellogg's cereal actually pretty fascinating reading!  

6084663.jpg

• Like 15

The BaW threads and connecting with people on Goodreads has been so much fun. I am going to try and do better at keeping up here in 2017.

I think I'll finish one or two more books before the end of the year but I'm at 80 right now, not including audiobooks.  Six were Agatha Christie re-reads, one a Kurt Vonnegut re-read. I had also read The Big Sleep and Balzac & the Little Chinese Seamstress over ten years ago.

I lost count of my audiobooks, but I know I listened to several Great Courses, A Doll's House, Hamlet, Frankenstein (read a lot of it), Catch-22 (read most of the e-book, too), and tons of stuff with the kids. 

Nothing made me mad enough to want to toss it. I quit The Birth House and a Maeve Binchy book because I just couldn't get into them, but I didn't dislike them. I almost quit A Spool of Blue Thread (chosen for the cover) but I managed to finally get through it. Oh, The Greenglass House did bother me but I didn't completely hate it. There were other books that disappointed me but I had gone into them expecting very little anyway.

I just read The Mistletoe Murder and other stories by P.D. James and loved it. For fiction, other favorites were The Razor's Edge (thanks to Stacia) and Kurt Vonnegut (of course) and a book by Caroline Graham.

For reading about reading, Browsings by Michael Dirda and The Late Age of Print by Ted Striphas were good and had some of my favorite covers.  

So many quotes in my notebook! Too many to list, but here is one quote that stayed with me from a kid's book, The War that Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley:

“She doesn’t—I’m sure it’s not—†She stopped walking and turned to face me. “I don’t know what to say,†she said, after a pause. “I don’t want to tell you a lie, and I don’t know the truth.†It was maybe the most honest thing anyone had ever said to me. “If she does hate you she’s wrong to do so,†Miss Smith said.  
  • Like 11

Can't keep up with the thread -- got to get Christmas dinner (2.0) started.  We opened presents with oldest ds last night and are having roast beast and yorkshire puddings and Christmas crackers tonight with ds and dn (dear nephew).  Must get to the store and clear the deck for more fun!

Stopped by, though, with a serious recommendation for Rose's banana book bingo bind: Banana: The Fate of the Fruit that Changed the World.  I read this 2-3 years ago and highly recommend it. Dan Koeppel is a good writer who makes the subjects of banana cultivation and shipping, and banana republics and kellogg's cereal actually pretty fascinating reading!  

6084663.jpg

Jenn! That looks amazing.  And it has enough pages that I can use it as "selected by a friend" on the 52 Books Bingo!

• Like 11

Here you go, Rose. It's not fiction but you can't get more banana-in-the-title basic than this  :lol:

Oops, cross-posted and didn't see that Jenn also suggested this.

Edited by shukriyya
  • Like 8

Who are you calling "old", girl?  Delighted to see you returning to this former haunt.  While your reading time may be limited, what about knitting?  Do you carry a hand work project with you?

Bonus points for Love Among the Chickens:  it is set in and around Lyme Regis.  As if chickens were not enough!

Knitting a hat for dh currently and I went on a 'knitting oversized cowls with size 15s' run this summer. 

My grandfather used to call me 'old girl' but it often came out 'old gell' with his British accent. So from one old girl to another I look forward to BaW convo with you  ;)

• Like 9

Yes,there is a page count minimum of at least 200 pages.  Novellas and rereads don't count as that would be too easy.  There isn't a category for play this year so no plays.  Young adult is iffy and depends. The young adult novels today are like the regular adult novels of the 70's.  Use your best judgement - it has to have substance.  Yes Harry Potter counts.  Audiobooks are fine as long as it has substance.  Let's say at least 8 hours in length.  Other guidelines - has to be started and completed this year, no carry overs from last year.   I can't think of anything else at the moment. Thanks for asking!

I'm not meaning to argue with the boss but I decide if audiobooks count based on how many pages the book would be. 

The Cat Who Blew the Whistle is 320 pages but only 6.5 hours.

• Like 11

Jenn! That looks amazing.  And it has enough pages that I can use it as "selected by a friend" on the 52 Books Bingo!

Rose, just in case you haven't noticed Stacia actually incorporated the bingo Robin made into your special 240 bingo. We simply took Robin's squares and expanded a wee bit. :D

• Like 11

I'm not meaning to argue with the boss but I decide if audiobooks count based on how many pages the book would be. 

The Cat Who Blew the Whistle is 320 pages but only 6.5 hours.

Sure. No worries. As long as the book itself is over 200 pages, then it works. I sort of pulled 8 hours out of my hat.   :leaving:  

• Like 11

I've been meaning to do this for awhile and this year I actually did it. 

Fun charts from my reading this year.  Everyone loves charts!  Right?!?!?

Year Book was Written

2016%20BaW%20Year%20Published.jpg

2016%20BaW%20Pie%20Charts.jpg

Other fun facts:

My top read authors from 2016 are:

Agatha Christie (4 books)

Ellis Peters (4 books)

Richard Peck (5 books)

Joan Smith (8 books)

Georgette Heyer (8 books)

Of the 121 book read:

5 were rereads