Menu

Winter runners

mamaraby

As in winter - snow, ice, wind kind of winter. Not that winter without those things doesn't require different gear, but I've got the 30/40/50 degree kind of thing figured out.

Last year we got a membership to the YMCA and ran on the treadmill for about a month and tried the indoor track, but the track is tiny and the treadmill is boring. So boring. Not running at all isn't an option, either.

I'd rather run outside and skip a workout if it's too windy/cold. Otherwise, spam me with your moderately priced winter running gear (no wool). Are winter DWR type fabric running shoes worth it? If I step in a puddle that looks like solid ice, will it keep my feet dry?

• Like 2

For shirts, I use wool (merino), so I'm not much help.

For pants, I just wear long yoga pants over a pair of capris. The double layer of synthetic fabric keeps me warm.

A hat or ear muffs and really thin gloves.

I wear Vibrams, and they have a winter version that was waterproof. They kept my feet dry, but I also stayed out of puddles whenever possible.

I no longer live in a climate with a real winter, but the above kept me warm in previous years.

• Like 1

I tend to get pretty warm when i run, so if it isn't too breezy, I just need to be covered. If my got gets wet i can usually make it home uncomfortable, but without problems. If it is particularly cold, stepping in a puddle might make me change my route to the shortest way home.

If you don't always get warm when you run you might have to take a different approach. Usually, though, if it effectively keeps water out, it won't be as breathable, so that is the trade-off to consider.

If it is very icy I usually do an alternative exercise. Sidewalk ice rarely lasts more than two days here, so it isn't worth the injury risk to me.

Snow doesn't get any particular special consideration.

• Like 1

I run when it's down to -20 and I don't buy anything expensive (except for maybe my fleece running tights).  What makes running in the cold tolerable for me is a fleece neck gaiter.  Otherwise, I wear a fleece headband, two or three layers for tops - wicking undershirts (you can use walmart or Target activewear) or Cuddle Duds makes a really warm layering shirt and then I top those with a heavy fleece top.  Doesn't matter what brand.  I wear Sugoi Midzero fleece tights when it's super cold.  Otherwise I just wear lighter fleece tights that I bought at Kohl's or just regular tights.  I wear my regular running shoes, but will attach yaktrax if it's slippery and there is snow covering my path.  

ETA - I haven't figured out a way to keep my fingers warm enough.  I wear two layers of mittens or mittens over gloves, but my fingers still freeze.  

Edited by Erica H
  • Like 3

I wear Sugoi Subzero heavyweight lined tights-they have kept my legs warm in -10F weather. I put LLBean's Polartec pants over them, then a lightweight merino top over as long-sleeved t shirt. Then a down sweater or vest, wool socks, hat, gloves, and I usually have to shed layers because it gets too warm.

If I had to choose one essential article of clothing out of the list, it would be the Sugoi tights-they are the heaviest and warmest I have ever found. LL Bean sells them, and I always wait for a sale or use a few of the $10.00 coupons I collect over the holidays.

I wear Sugoi Subzero heavyweight lined tights-they have kept my legs warm in -10F weather. I put LLBean's Polartec pants over them, then a lightweight merino top over as long-sleeved t shirt. Then a down sweater or vest, wool socks, hat, gloves, and I usually have to shed layers because it gets too warm.

If I had to choose one essential article of clothing out of the list, it would be the Sugoi tights-they are the heaviest and warmest I have ever found. LL Bean sells them, and I always wait for a sale or use a few of the $10.00 coupons I collect over the holidays.

Thanks!  I am going to have to look for the tights!  I've been wearing Sugoi Midzero and have been very happy with them, but these might be even warmer.

For your hands, you may just find putting hand warmers or little warm rice bags in the tip of your mittens helps. I keep my hands balled gently inside my mitten too, so my fingertips are against my palms instead of the end of the mitten. It helps a bit anyway :)

I wear cheap Walmart cuddle duds under a UA winter pair of tights and shirt. Over the shirt goes a fleece pull over and a reflective long sleeve top ( think construction worker, I got I at the hardware store). I wear lined mittens and a fleece gait tear up over my head and lower face. I am a cold person. My friend uses one layer less than I and she is fine. This get up got me through this morning's 3 degrees.

• Like 1

ETA - I haven't figured out a way to keep my fingers warm enough.  I wear two layers of mittens or mittens over gloves, but my fingers still freeze.  

I was hoping someone would have a solution to this. I have lightweight running gloves that are beyond useless in the cold. So, I tried my dh's gloves that he wore for ATVing. Better, but my hands still froze. Last time, I ran in my warmest mittens and that was even better, but I still had frozen fingers by the end of my run.

I'm not a runner, but I was wondering the other day what shoes winter runners use? How do you keep your feet from getting soaked.

I wear Gore Tex Brooks, but there are several brands to choose from:

https://www.on-running.com/en-us/products/cloudrunner-winter-edition-stormblack-sea-m?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=EN_USA_Running%20shoes%20(exact)&utm_term=waterproof%20running%20shoe&utm_content=Winter%20running

http://www.gore-tex.com/products/footwear/road-running/

If I am walking, I wear lightweight waterproof boots like Bogs.

I wear Sleet Sprinter tights from Lululemon. We live where we get very nasty weather and the fleece lined tights keep me warm and whatever is on the outside keeps me dry.

On top, I just layer. I have a few different long sleeved running shirts and brand doesn't seem to matter much. I usually layer with a tank top underneath and then I have a soft shell jacket that is waterproof and wind proof.

A hat is a must - I'm usually warm enough with a light running hat, but sometimes I wear a wool hat. I need a neck warmer - I've wrapped a fleece scarf around my neck the last few times I've run outdoors, but it feels too bulky.

And I'm hoping someone else will have good advice on how to keep hands warm. Mine freeze.

I will run in the cold and in the snow and in the sleet, but when it's really icy out I run indoors. I can't stand the treadmill, but the university has a pretty good indoor track.

I wear my regular outdoor running shoes and a pair of thick socks on my feet. I've thought about wearing spikes or something but then I wonder if that will do me more harm than good.

I found fleece lined tights at Tj Maxx, I wore them all last winter and they are fabulous. They are great for keeping the wind from blowing through the tights. I'd like to know why those weren't invented back when I ran cross country in South Dakota. I prefer to dress in layers since I tend to get warm. When it's really cold I'll wear a tank or short sleeve running top, a long sleeve running top, a fleece vest, and a zip up cycling jacket. I wear a fleece headband for my ears. I have some gloves that are a heavy knit that the running store gives as a freebie in winter. I wear those starting out but my hands get hot so I usually end up tucking the gloves in a pocket and pull my sleeves over my hands.

I run in my regular shoes, usually if it's cold I don't have to worry about my feet getting wet. It's those 35 degree days that are tough, I wear my trail runners and just avoid puddles. If my feet are going to end up soaked I'm not running far anyway because the slush is terrible on the road and no one believes in shoveling sidewalks around here.

• Like 1

I was hoping someone would have a solution to this. I have lightweight running gloves that are beyond useless in the cold. So, I tried my dh's gloves that he wore for ATVing. Better, but my hands still froze. Last time, I ran in my warmest mittens and that was even better, but I still had frozen fingers by the end of my run.

My hands don't really get cold when running, but they definitely do when skiing in sub zero temps. For that, I use a combo of a waterproof/insulated mitten and a thin glove liner like the one below. Toasty.

https://www.rei.com/product/889271/dakine-titan-insulated-mittens-mens

Ditto a neck gaiter mentioned above. I am in the south so our winter weather only lasts a few days at a time. But I ran two half marathons last year when it was 25-28 degrees with strong winds out of the north. I liked being able to pull the gaiter up over my nose and mouth when I was running into the wind and pull it down when wind was at my back. For one of the half marathons - the coldest, windiest one - wore long tights and a running skirt over them, which meant I had three layers on my rear end. I didn't feel like I needed the warmth on my legs but the wind was so strong and cold on my backside. Our winds tend to be the worse part of winter running weather here. I need my ears and neck well covered.