Menu

Holiday dinner for four

mom31257

We will have a dinner for just the four of us when we do our own Christmas. I would love to do some really good, but different, meat main course. We aren't all seafood lovers, and I have to avoid dairy. Grilling isn't an option, either. Any suggestions with recipes? We leave town the next day, so leftovers won't be a good idea. 

You could do something like a pork tenderloin.  It's fairly small and quick cooking.  Or they have small marinated pork loin roasts.  

They sell small boneless hams.  

If you like something like prime rib, you could get a thick cut rib eye steak and treat it like a prime rib roast (it is pretty quick cooking).  

Maybe Cornish game hens?  Those are small and something different.   

Thinking of pasta dishes, a lot of those have cheese so that doesn't fit the no dairy requirement.

I only cook for 5 and I do a fairly large meal, but then I use the leftovers.  If I could not get to the leftovers I'd freeze them.

Oh...what about something like stuffed cabbage rolls? 

• Like 2

You could do a roulade with beef or pork plus a German potato dish and hot veggies.

We have done chicken breasts stuffed with Greek yogurt, spinach, and herbs, wrapped with pancetta, and served with either a pasta carbonara or chili-garlic oil coated pasta on the side, along with a pear and fennel salad. Simple but delicious.

Eta: the yogurt was a substitute from the original recipe that called for mayo.

Edited by HomeAgain
  • Like 1

You could do a roulade with beef or pork plus a German potato dish and hot veggies.

We have done chicken breasts stuffed with Greek yogurt, spinach, and herbs, wrapped with pancetta, and served with either a pasta carbonara or chili-garlic oil coated pasta on the side, along with a pear and fennel salad. Simple but delicious.

sounds so good...

We'll be grilling steaks--rain, snow, cold, foggy, whatever the weather. We've tried prime rib and have too much leftover. Same with ham. If I weren't grilling steaks, I think I would do chicken kiev--chicken breasts wrapped around jack cheese and herbed butter then rolled in bread crumbs or panko. Everyone likes it, which is saying something around here!

• Like 1

TURDUCKEN! One year when we went away and it was just the 8 of us, I made a turducken. Boneless turkey, boneless duck, boneless chicken with a layer of stuffing between each. They're awesome!!

It's expensive so I wouldn't serve it with a crowd. It was so easy to prepare since it's boneless and already stuffed. 

We will have a dinner for just the four of us when we do our own Christmas. I would love to do some really good, but different, meat main course. We aren't all seafood lovers, and I have to avoid dairy. Grilling isn't an option, either. Any suggestions with recipes? We leave town the next day, so leftovers won't be a good idea.

Well, since grilled steaks are a waste of good meat anyway, I choose steak. ;)

I always pan fry mine with butter.

We did steak for Christmas supper a few years ago when my parents were visiting. Everybody got to choose their potato side. Some has fries, some baked, one mashed, one sweet potato fries.

I am NOT a cook.  I just don't enjoy it.   I cook this for Christmas every year because it is simple.  I will warn you that your house will smell like garlic. ;)

Roasted Chicken With Garden Vegetables

4 to 5 lb whole chicken

1/2 cup butter, softened

2 tsp. rosemary leaves, crushed

1/2 tsp. salt & 1/4 tsp. pepper

2 tsp. minced fresh garlic

6 new red potatoes, cut in half or quartered if large

3 carrots,cut in 4 pieces each

2 med. onions, cut into quarters

Heat oven to 350 degrees F

In a small bowl mix butter, rosemary, salt, pepper, and garlic.  Rub chicken with half of butter mixture.  Place chicken in pan and surround with veggies.  Dollop remaining butter mixture evenly over vegetables.  Bake, basting chicken and vegetables occasionally, for 2-2 1/2 hours, or until chicken is fork tender.  Ready to serve.

Edit:  Sorry, I forgot you said you avoid dairy. 

Edited by PollyOR

You can buy a standing rib roast in various sizes. If your store doesn't have a smaller cut available, you can ask the grocery's butcher to get one ready for you (it might be wise to order it a day or two in advance). We had just the six of us for Easter this year (four of them children), and I was able to get a small one at our supermarket.

• Like 1