Menu

Those last few gifts that aren't necessary

Night Elf

I've mentioned here that our Christmas is simple this year. All the kids want things that cannot be wrapped so we're just giving cash. However, I don't like the idea of them not having a gift to open. So yesterday I went out and bought a gift card for each child and a gift card box to put it in. I guess I'll put them in their stockings. DH didn't think it was necessary but I just feel a few candy bars isn't enough even though I'm giving cash too. I wish I could think of real gifts and to heck with just the cash gifts. Unfortunately, I have NO ideas. No one needs or wants anything material at all! I can't even do tshirts because no one wants clothes of any kind. So candy and gift cards it is. Oh, I did buy the girls a small container of lotion and lip balm for the stockings and put lottery tickets in dd's boyfriend's stocking. I didn't get anything extra for ds because I couldn't think of a single thing. He said he doesn't even want much candy. Gosh, I sure do miss Christmases like when they were little.

• Like 4

It does get harder as they get older.   We do lip balm for all, hand cream, and socks* when everything else is gift cards for cash.  Oh, sometimes I put in a current magazine I think they will like, and then offer a subscription if they want one.  This year my kids are each getting two magazines; we're going on a road trip the day after Christmas so that will help pass some of the long hours in the car.  We also still give a book or two, though it's harder to  know what they will like. 

*Not utilitarian everyday socks, but fun cozy winter socks.  We walk around the house in stocking feet all day.  

We have a family puzzle every year--this year I bought 3-- one for each girl to open.  We are a pretty geeky family-- I found a Zelda map puzzle, Star Wars poster puzzle, and a LOTR poster puzzle.  I LOVE family puzzle time--no electronics allowed-- just some fun music in the background and a few light munchies!

Most years I also pick up a family game... this year they all requested that we play Mexican Train (our standard go-to game).  It is just the 5 of us-- so a quiet family Christmas...

• Like 5

Jewelry

Hair products...shampoo, conditioner, gel, creams, dry shampoo, hair masks, hairspray, headbands, clips, bobby pins

Scarves

Face products (a trial kit from Paula's Choice for example)

Makeup

Cool pens/pencils

Journal

Coffee mugs/travel mug

Reusable water bottle

Nice fragrance free lotion/body wash

Beef jerky (since your ds doesn't want much candy)

Gas gift cards

Grocery store gift card

Exercise gear if they work out

Books

Subscription to magazine

Lots of choices for you to consider. Have fun 

• Like 1

We've got runners and hikers in the family (sadly, not incl. me :P) and SmartWool socks of some variety are always welcome here. One ds loves the fine Sharpie pens like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B66DXU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 So this year I'm putting a couple in everybody's stockings. He is also getting a pack of the colored ones. 

((((((((Beth))))))))))

Thanks for the reminder to those of us who still have littles to savor every moment.

I'm having the same problem with my bigs. Soldier Boy only wants things that can be downloaded. I did find digital gift cards for Tommy John and Fox River Socks but, as usual, Papa Daddy is completely outdoing me by composing, recording, and uploading a song with my minor child singing lead vocals.

It doesn't fit in a stocking, but it does fit in his smartphone. If ds weren't deployed, Papa Daddy could have put it on a flash drive instead of the cloud.

You could do the same with a picture of a painting or drawing if you're into the visual arts or a story if you're a writer.

HTH

Edited by Guest

I've gotten puzzles the last few years. It's really only DH and ds who do them. I can't figure them out.I bought two last summer and they're still sitting by the dining room table. The favorite one that was done more than once is a long rectangular world puzzle. I think I learned about it on this forum a very long time ago.

I'm going to look in the seasonal candy aisle at Walmart tomorrow to see if I can find some chocolate Santas. I have no idea if they make them like chocolate Easter bunnies, but if they do I think that will be a fun gift to open.

This morning I sat ds 14 down and gave him a good hard look and said, "Remember, you asked for Money this year from the grandparents for Christmas. This means that you will not have a bunch of boxes to open, like your brother (brother is 11)."

He nodded and said he's fine with that. I hope he is! It could go either way this year, with him being 14. I got him things to open, but he normally also has things to open at Grandma's house and this year he won't, but everyone else will.

I asked my sister to give my kids movie tickets.  You can wrap those.  :)

One of my kids (10yo) had a heck of a time coming up with a Christmas list.  When she finally produced it, she also listed who should get what.  I was assigned to contribute a tracfone case and money.  The phone case will be chosen by her, so no surprise factor at all.  :P

Well, I did order a few other things that I hope she will like.  10 is too young for just money and a phone case.  :P

In college and just beyond, I would have loved toiletries.  All that stuff that adds up.  Razors and razor blades, shampoo, deodorant, makeup, soap of various types.  Around that age (we were 21ish; we are a year apart), I gave my brother a box of cleaning stuff.  THat's the kind of stuff that breaks a young budget, and you always hate to buy it.  But it's so nice to have a variety.  So that's what I did, and he loved it.

• Like 2

In college and just beyond, I would have loved toiletries.  All that stuff that adds up.  Razors and razor blades, shampoo, deodorant, makeup, soap of various types.  Around that age (we were 21ish; we are a year apart), I gave my brother a box of cleaning stuff.  THat's the kind of stuff that breaks a young budget, and you always hate to buy it.  But it's so nice to have a variety.  So that's what I did, and he loved it.

Absolutely! Even as a young, married person I still loved getting things like toiletries and pens. I loved (and still do) fun things to put in my purse - small tissue pack, lip balm, pack of gum, hand cream, etc.

One thing I'm putting together for my 20 year old dd this year is an "Emergency Kit" for her purse. I bought a small cute pouch with a zipper and I'm putting in: tiny sewing kit (from a hotel room), travel bottle of Advil, 2 bandaids, stain remover wipe, emergency duct tape in a tiny package, lip balm, breath mints, 2 Gravol, 2 Immodium, 2 Cold and Flu tablets, tiny nail file...I can't remember what else. 

We do this for our young adults. Also, students need study supplies: highlighters, nice mechanical pencils, Post-Its, stapler, paper clips, a ream of paper, etc.

• Like 1