Menu

anyone else experiencing multiple bouts of stomach viruses this fall?

maize

I've got two kids throwing up today, in what appears to be our fourth round of stomach bugs in the past three months.

This just seems like unusually high frequency!

These all seem to come with respiratory symptoms like coughing and sneezing, so I think they're spreading through the air.

I was throwing up and miserable the weekend before Thanksgiving. Today, I have something else. My family doesn't seem to be getting stuff I have. I interact with a lot of people, including a lot of children at work so I get exposed to a lot stuff. I do try to keep washing my hands and be careful about touching surfaces. At least, I don't appear to be passing it on. 

• Like 1

That was us last year and the years before, tok. I'm sorry. This year, I decided to do preventative medicine. We've had two minor colds this year. That's all! It's practically a miracle in my opinion.

I'm using Oil of Oregano diluted with olive oil (comes this way). A few drops a day for preventative medicine and a few more drops after we've been in out in public. High quality. Not MLM.

A friend has used cheap Echinacea capsules for years with good results. Lots and lots of studies on Echinacea's effectiveness out there.

YESSS. I was actually in the hospital last weekend because of a stomach bug -- I got too dehydrated and couldn't hold down any fluids. The kids got a milder version of it, they were ok after maybe 4-8 hours of discomfort.  DH got through the weekend without a moment of trouble, or at least no trouble besides taking me to the hospital and being stuck with 3 sick kids, lol. 

This weekend, here we go again.  Thankfully I'm holding fluids down this time, though, and it doesn't seem as severe for the kids either (as in, only 1 so far has succumbed).

Earlier in the fall, I think we've had 1 other episode, early November.  Unfortunately it always happens so I have to cancel my daughter's piano lessons, with a strict teacher, and he is probably losing patience.  And thinks we are a disaster. And probably questions our hygiene, though we scrubbed this place with disinfectant like crazy this past week.  

• Like 1

I'm in Australia and all 8 kids and myself have had some vomiting bug which was horrible. Even though we are supposedly over it now some of the kids seem to be still struggling with sore stomachs, diarrhoea etc. Ds12 is asleep on the couch right now because he feels too unwell to be in bed. I'm sick of it...(pun unintended...maybe...).

Edited by LindaOz
  • Like 1

Three more kids plus myself vomiting law night. I ended up turning on a movie for the older kids in the middle of the night because tummy pain was keeping them awake and they were miserable.

My husband and the baby haven't come down with it yet, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they do.

Kids have a big dance recital on Tuesday, hopefully everyone is well by then. Ds who was vomiting all day yesterday seems to be doing much better today so I'm thinking it is a 24 hour thing.

I'm in Australia and all 8 kids and myself have had some vomiting bug which was horrible. Even though we are supposedly over it now some of the kids seem to be still struggling with sore stomachs, diarrhoea etc. Ds12 is asleep on the couch right now because he feels too unwell to be in bed. I'm sick of it...(pun unintended...maybe...).

Hugs to you from a safe distance... we are dealing with the same stuff - dh had ended up getting testing because it's gone for so long...

We have been experiencing tons of stomach bugs over the last 18 months or so (even several during the summer).  I just recovered from one I had over the weekend.  It is very strange since prior to that we had only had 1 tummy bug experience in my children's entire lives.  Ped is having me keep a calendar for 6 months to see if she can see a pattern or anything like that.

I do commiserate! 

We have been experiencing tons of stomach bugs over the last 18 months or so (even several during the summer). I just recovered from one I had over the weekend. It is very strange since prior to that we had only had 1 tummy bug experience in my children's entire lives. Ped is having me keep a calendar for 6 months to see if she can see a pattern or anything like that.

I do commiserate!

Sometimes recurrent stomach bugs can be caused by strep; that happened to us a couple of years ago. It's worth checking for if you haven't already.

What my family has been hit with this fall does seem to be just a series of different viruses though.