Menu

Is American Girl the way to go, for a doll with hair that can handle being brushed?

Tap

I am struggling coming up with a gift for dd10.  She doesn't really play pretend with dolls, stuffed animals or other toys.  But she always wants toys that she can brush their hair.  MLP, troll dolls and a few of the themed Barbie style dolls are what she gravitates toward.  I have to periodically replace them, because they look so scrappy after a while.

I bought her a knock off 18" doll a few years back and she still plays with it here and there, but the hair is looking a bit battered.  Since that is her favorite part, I am thinking it is time for an upgrade. 

I see that Costco has an American Girl doll for about $120 right now.It happens to resemble dd10 which is always a bonus.  It comes in a big box (wow factor for xmas) and has some accessories/outfit etc.  I was thinking about getting it for her, not because of the story line (she could not care less) but solely because of the sturdy hair. LOL  I also hear that they can do some repair work just in case, she ends up damaged. I assume, they still repair hair? What do I need to know about caring for the AG dolls hair?

She has access to some of my older daughters 18" dolls.  I don't remember if any of my older daughters dolls are American Girl or not (some were bought second hand).  I know a couple are Madame Alexander, because I remember buying those. DD18 was never in to dolls, but would play with them at her friends houses.  So, I got her a few she could take to her friends houses to play with.  We already have about 10 outfits too, so she already has accessories.( Long story about why we don't just turn these dolls into the gift)

Is American Girl the way to go for what I want? 

• Like 1

Possibly. The hair does hold up, but you do need to treat it with some respect. Make sure she brushes it when it's damp. A little mister bottle with some plain water will work nicely. And get a doll brush. Brush from a section at the bottom upward, rather than down the entire length at once. If it does get tangled, spray detangler works nicely.

• Like 1

I think so. They are so dang expensive, but their hair is the best. Just a warning, yes they can fix damaged hair but it's pricey, I think my friend told me it was $50. Her mom paid for it otherwise she wouldn't have had it done.

We have had a couple different knock offs, a Kohls version of the Madame Alexander and an American Girl doll. The AG is the best by far.

Have you thought about a styling head instead of a whole doll if her interest is only in styling the hair? Those often come with all kinds of accessories, and you can get theme heads (like Frozen) or even a pony.

That's what they use in "beauty" school. Here's a link to one for kids that has real hair.

https://www.youngexplorers.com/itemdy00.aspx?T1=Y610226&srccode=NXCYC6&utm_source=google&utm_medium=comparison&utm_campaign=datafeed&source=pla&gclid=CjwKEAiAsMXBBRD71KWOh6fcjRwSJAC5CNE1T0WpTB81KCOVhw1nz76ud_7BmcQ7R9VZX3EB6ERsQxoCIDTw_wcB

For a doll with decent hair - yup AG is the way to go. The costco deal is a great one btw. 

As for other repairs to AG dolls - google! 90% of the issues can be fixed yourself with basic supplies. I'm about to restring dd's vintage molly doll next weekend at a total cost of $10 vs about $50 to send it to AG's doll hospital. Plus no dealing with a crying kiddo who wants their best friend!

• Like 1

For a doll with decent hair - yup AG is the way to go. The costco deal is a great one btw. 

As for other repairs to AG dolls - google! 90% of the issues can be fixed yourself with basic supplies. I'm about to restring dd's vintage molly doll next weekend at a total cost of $10 vs about $50 to send it to AG's doll hospital. Plus no dealing with a crying kiddo who wants their best friend!

Good to know, I used some of the online AG doll hair fix-it strategies when I fixed the hair on the dolls I bought used. LOL  

Have you thought about a styling head instead of a whole doll if her interest is only in styling the hair?  Those often come with all kinds of accessories, and you can get theme heads (like Frozen) or even a pony. 

Yep.  Thought about that, but only in toy form. I looked at them today in fact.   The real hair one maybe a good idea!

A doll is a bit more portable for the car, but this is an idea for her at home.  

Thinking ahead 10 years....being a hairdresser may even be a career I can see her going into.  She will never be an academic person, but she is smart. She can read, but HATES to read. She can do basic math, but dreads it and is very slow at it (but accurate).  I know the exams are difficult for licensing, but it may be something she is capable of as an adult.  We will have to see.  She is very, detail oriented and LOVEs to talk to new people.  She has a great memory for visual things.  Her sensory issues may prevent it, but who knows when she is an adult, she may have overcome them a bit by then.

This thread actually gives me a bit of hope for the future> LOL 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 4

I'll just throw this out there... Ag has, by far, some of the absolute BEST customer service I've ever needed to deal with.

Our doll was damaged beyond home repair and we needed to send it in. I scoffed some at the price- but they called us and offered to fix some of the other issues (for free). They were super to work with. I won't hesitate next time we need to send one in.

The dolls are the best we've seen.

• Like 1

Thanks for the help everyone!  Do you have to buy the brush from AG, there isn't on in our area.  They have them on Amazon, for about $14 is that a regular price, or inflated?

I really hope she likes it.  I bought the Samantha Doll from Costco.  It has straight brown hair as far as I can tell, so hopefully it will be a go!

Thanks for the help everyone!  Do you have to buy the brush from AG, there isn't on in our area.  They have them on Amazon, for about $14 is that a regular price, or inflated?

I really hope she likes it.  I bought the Samantha Doll from Costco.  It has straight brown hair as far as I can tell, so hopefully it will be a go!

We use the walmart Mylife brand brush - it's about $3 at walmart and nearly as good as the AG one IMO. The AG one is has closer spokes, but the my life works well. The important thing is metal bristles not nylon/plastic. 

• Like 2

The brush at AG is $8. I bought one Saturday.  IMO, it's the metal bristles that are the essential party.

My dd has three dolls--a Battat "My Generation" doll from Target, an AG doll, and a Target non-Battat made doll. The AG doll hands down has the best hair, the Battat made My Generation has the next best hair.  The Battat body is very nice, but the hair is not.

American girl dolls hair is really nice. My advice, would be to not get curly. Go for a straight haired doll. My daughter has three. One has curly hair, and it looks meh, one with straight bobbed hair, and it looks as good as it did 5 years ago. The last one has beach waves, and it has held up better than the curly haired one.

Edited by Peacefulisle

Thanks for the help everyone! Do you have to buy the brush from AG, there isn't on in our area. They have them on Amazon, for about $14 is that a regular price, or inflated?

I really hope she likes it. I bought the Samantha Doll from Costco. It has straight brown hair as far as I can tell, so hopefully it will be a go!

Goodys sells a brush at Walmart with the metal bristles. It's about $4 and works fine.