Menu

Dr. Hive, please help! Woe are my feet. Seriously.

RioSamba

I've just returned from an extremely unhelpful doctor's appointment with a sub for my regular doctor. I can't get in with Derm or podiatrist immediately, so I'm seeking the collective wisdom of the hive. Here, then, is the series of unfortunate events:

Background:

I've never had skin or odor issues with my feet. They've just been decent feet these forty-some years.

Mid August:

DS10 hilariously wears my flip flops several times over the course of several days. Threats concerning Pokémon are made. He keeps to his own flip flops. Shortly thereafter he leaves for vacation with grandparents.

A few days later, my feet feel like they are ON FIRE. They itch, but not in a traditionally itchy way. It's unlike anything I've ever felt before. There is no nice way to put this. My feet have a stench. It makes me wonder if the Black Death smelled like that. Decay. A soupçon of sulfur.

I call the vacationers who confirm that DS10 has extremely smelly feet. DS10 does not *think* he has any discomfort, but this is a kid who does not complain much. We both start using OTC athlete's foot sprays/creams/powder. The noxious miasma disappears within a couple of days, and the itch is greatly reduced.

Within days, DH & DS2 develop the odor and fiery itch. I treat them with OTC remedies as well.

All parties are subject to borderline ritualistic measures with shoes. Shoes are blown dry if damp, treated with powders and sprays, not re worn for a period of 48 hours. Socks are double washed in the hottest water with peroxide or vinegar and dried on high.

Everyone's symptoms improve dramatically shortly after treatment begins. Within two weeks DH and boys seem cured, but they continue treating for an additional two weeks.

Mid-September

I am now the lone sufferer. I begin adding a vinegar/water soak to my foot care regimen. I consider naming my feet because their management now requires about the same amount of time that I devote to my children. I did wish for twins when I was younger.

Mid-October:

It's almost gone! Yay! But no. Resurgence.

Mid November:

Still. Not. Better. There is no odor, but the 🔥 feeling remains. Maybe it isn't athlete's foot. I seek my wonderful doctor's advice but am stuck with Dr. Substitute. She thinks my feet are dry. Dr. Substitute has a strict policy of not allowing patients to complete a sentence. The sufferings of DH and the boys cannot possibly be relevant.

Other pertinent information:

No patients ever had a visible rash, not consistent with athlete's foot

The worst spots for me are the bottoms of my feet, particularly the arches. No problems between toes, also not consistent with athlete's foot.

My feet are a bit dry because I've not wanted to use moisturizer. Keeping my feet *not moist* so as to discourage further fungal encroachment has been a high priority. That said, I live in a dry climate, I know what a dry skin itch feels like, and no, Dr. Substitute, THIS is not THAT.

Dr Hive, please help me. It's not like this is going to kill me, but it's driving me mad. Also, we've had unseasonably warm weather, but when the snow flies I'll have to wear boots. I adore my boots and don't want to chance their ruin.

What's wrong with my feet?

ETA: spelling

Edited by RioSamba
  • Like 1

Maybe at this stage you could try coconut oil for the dryness. I don't mean to sound like one of those crazy "coconut oil cures everything" people 😜.

But, I use it in the hot months under my breasts and on the lady parts when I feel a little yeasty. It helps soooo much.

Ok, now I sound crazy. 😳

• Like 2

Maybe at this stage you could try coconut oil for the dryness. I don't mean to sound like one of those crazy "coconut oil cures everything" people 😜.

But, I use it in the hot months under my breasts and on the lady parts when I feel a little yeasty. It helps soooo much.

Ok, now I sound crazy. 😳

You don't sound crazy and I'm pretty crunchy (I have coconut oil here). I am considering all options right now!

Sounds similar to what DH had last summer. I don't remember what it was called. He switched to wool socks, used a pumice on the bottom of his feet in the shower, and put deodorant on them after he dried them off. I'll ask him about it later and get back to you.

Sorry for the double post, but I failed to respond to three4me, so I must do it.

Thank you, I'll look forward to hearing from you again. I'm very curious to know your DH's diagnosis. I stopped using my pumice stone because I feared it would just become a satellite locations for what I then assumed was fungus, and that I would reinfect myself with it.

http://www.dermnetnz.org/topics/pitted-keratolysis/

Or some other bacterial infection?

My dad found out he had some kind of foot infection when he went to the dermatologist for a mole check. She prescribed something oral and recommended he alternate soaking in black tea and vinegar.

There is no pitting or redness, but I will put it on the list to ask the Derm about. I think your suggestion that it's bacterial is a good one. Perhaps DH and the boys simply fought it off coincidental to the treatment, but for some reason I can't shake it off!

ETA: I just saw your edit. I can add black tea tonight.

Edited by RioSamba

Ok, now I sound crazy. 😳

Not at all. Coconut oil is awesome!

• Like 1

How about some tea tree oil? I don't want to be one of those "tea tree oil cures everything" people, but seriously, that $h!zz cures everything :lol: I have seen it do some pretty amazing stuff here. It's anti-fungal and antibacterial, and it would be among my first lines of defense for anything skin-related.

Tea Tree Oil is also in the house, why didn't I think of that?

All thoughts and suggestions are welcome, be they diagnostic, pharmaceutical, or crunchy!

• Like 1

I'd soak them in apple cider vinegar water with teatree oil added for 30 mins each night then moisturise with coconut oil. Sounds miserable. You could also take garlic capsules, or raw, each day to work from the inside. Or put the garlic clove in your socks overnight?

DH will love this suggestion. He's been wanting to apply garlic to my feet. I did try apple cider vinegar for soaking, but the white vinegar left me feeling so much better.

Yes, it is miserable! Hence my willingness to go public!

Coconut oil with a few drops of tea tree oil for good measure. :-) It does seem to help with fungus-related things.

I am so sorry! It sounds miserable.

"Dr. Substitute has a strict policy of not allowing patients to complete a sentence. The sufferings of DH and the boys cannot possibly be relevant. " That's almost as annoying as the problem! Dr. Substitute must be related to my family doc and maybe our ped. I hope you get an answer soon.

• Like 2

Coconut oil with a few drops of tea tree oil for good measure. :-) It does seem to help with fungus-related things.

I am so sorry! It sounds miserable.

"Dr. Substitute has a strict policy of not allowing patients to complete a sentence. The sufferings of DH and the boys cannot possibly be relevant. " That's almost as annoying as the problem! Dr. Substitute must be related to my family doc and maybe our ped. I hope you get an answer soon.

Poor you! At least mine is only a substitute.

This thread has 472 views. I guess I'm hive famous now, for my horrible feet!

• Like 2

I was in the military during their all leather black boot phase and got something like that. Apparently there is an athlete's foot fungus that can only be killed by bleach or urine and requires a prescription foot cream for months. All of my socks were bleached after each wear, my shower floor was sprayed with bleach daily, and I was given permission to wear tennis shoes. It took about 6 months for it to heal. I had no other issues then smelly feet and an extreme burning itch.

• Like 2

I was in the military during their all leather black boot phase and got something like that. Apparently there is an athlete's foot fungus that can only be killed by bleach or urine and requires a prescription foot cream for months. All of my socks were bleached after each wear, my shower floor was sprayed with bleach daily, and I was given permission to wear tennis shoes. It took about 6 months for it to heal. I had no other issues then smelly feet and an extreme burning itch.

Diluted bleach baths are used routinely for some people with eczema, so it sure won't hurt anything. A capful per ten gallons is what people use for MRSA to give you an estimate of strength.

• Like 4

I hate bleach so much, but your symptoms sound very much like mine. I think I'll pick some up at Target tomorrow. I'm glad they let you out of those boots, that must have been awful!

Diluted bleach baths are used routinely for some people with eczema, so it sure won't hurt anything. A capful per ten gallons is what people use for MRSA to give you an estimate of strength.

Thanks, this is helpful!

They are in coconut oil now and feel a little better🙂 If nothing else, it's a comfort measure.

Are you practicing good sanitation practices to prevent reinfection--no barefoot in house, bleaching out shower, etc?

I think the above advice is good, but I am a bit worried that your body hasn't been able to kick this yet.

Yes on the sanitation. I did not detail all of the extreme measures (it was already a loooong post) but anything that touches my feet is treated like a bio-hazard. I use hydrogen peroxide to disinfect, but per Schadenfreude, I think I will switch to bleach.

Ok, now I sound crazy. 😳

Equal parts olive and coconut oil with a few drops of tea tree oil. Edited by Ravin
  • Like 1

How about some tea tree oil? I don't want to be one of those "tea tree oil cures everything" people, but seriously, that $h!zz cures everything :lol: I have seen it do some pretty amazing stuff here. It's anti-fungal and antibacterial, and it would be among my first lines of defense for anything skin-related.

This. Far before the EO fad began...like 25ish years before, I've always had tea tree oil around for skin stuff - since I was a teenager with zits.

I'd put a few drops in coconut oil as an after soak moisturizer.

• Like 2

Sorry for the double post, but I failed to respond to three4me, so I must do it.

Thank you, I'll look forward to hearing from you again. I'm very curious to know your DH's diagnosis. I stopped using my pumice stone because I feared it would just become a satellite locations for what I then assumed was fungus, and that I would reinfect myself with it.

So, DH doesn't remember what it was. I do remember there was some putting on the bottom of his foot. And that he was told to wash with Dial antibacterial soap. Sorry I'm not more help!

• Like 1

So, DH doesn't remember what it was. I do remember there was some putting on the bottom of his foot. And that he was told to wash with Dial antibacterial soap. Sorry I'm not more help!

It sounds like he had that pitting thing!

As to the extreme methods, no judgment, but I'm not there yet!

Really?. It does help. I'm not ashamed to say it.

OP, it appears this is over the counter now. It has urea in it. No peeing in the shower. I am not sure if the product that is not specifically for nails has the urea in it or not.  http://www.kerasal.com/products/nail-renewal/ 

The applicator sticks are effective. When they were Rx, they were EXPENSIVE. 

• Like 1

OP, it appears this is over the counter now. It has urea in it. No peeing in the shower. I am not sure if the product that is not specifically for nails has the urea in it or not. http://www.kerasal.com/products/nail-renewal/

The applicator sticks are effective. When they were Rx, they were EXPENSIVE.

Super!

Black tea and coconut oil with lavender are happening. I was planning to start bleach soaks until DH said, "What if you kill it before you see the Doctor, and then it comes back? Then you will need another appointment." So the bleach attack will wait a few more days.

I'm disappointed that no one has recommended that I go to a beach destination, swirl my feet in the ocean, and bury them in warm sand.

• Like 1