Menu

Favorite gifts?

birchbark

What kind of price range, and for whom?

For the mid-range or lower end: I love to receive nice pajamas.  I'm a huge coffee drinker, but prefer not to receive coffee as a gift - cups, etc, work though.  Immersion blender.  Anything handmade.  I love bath salts and scrubs and body oils - I know, it seems trite, but I like them.  I love charms for my bracelet, especially from DH & the kids.  DH gave me a beautiful butterfly house last year.  Love that.  

• Like 2

Although I don't mind hearing about expensive gifts too!

In addition to my other post: Jewelry with kids' names or symbols; photos or photo products with family; Amazon gift cards; mani/pedi; massage.

Those are kind of generic, I try to go with something personal, if possible.

I like receiving magazine subscriptions.

Books from people who know what I like (and don't like).  I've given away several copies of one very popular Christian book from a few years back that friends thought I would love...

Mug and some different teas.

Nice kitchen linens:  dishtowels, potholders.  I wreck mine so quickly.  

I guess those are all pretty cheap.  

A really nice gift I received last year was a gift card for Trader Joe's.  I bought all fun treats with it.  

Depending on where you live, you might be able to get a membership to a local arboretum or something for $60, maybe?  (The one close to me is $65 for an individual membership, but maybe the mom of the family would not find that useful!)

I am simple.  Coffee gift cards are my favorite inexpensive gift. LOL  I love to get coffee when I am doing errands, but hate to spend the money. (Starbucks, Dutch Bros, Black Rock, etc it doesn't matter) Gift cards are a great way for me to get to splurge and they don't take up room in my house. LOL

I wanted a cuckoo clock my whole life, and my husband got one for me about 4-5 years ago.

That was quite a gift!  I was completely surprised!

Ditto for one of the real Rosie the Riveter Saturday Evening Post covers--he looked for these secretly for a long time before scoring one at an antique show.

And once when I was about to start doing a lot of business travel he got me a completely boring American Tourister briefcase.  I was appalled until I opened it and found a silk teddy inside.

The man is GOOD at this.

• Like 3

A few of my favorites from recent years:

• Books.
  • Bookstore and Audible gift cards.
  • My Kitchen Aid stand mixer.
  • A nicely organized three-ring binder with typed and consistently formatted copies of all of the recipes and adaptations of recipes I had scrawled on the backs of envelopes.
  • Donations to charities I support.
    One year, for example, my husband and each of the kids chose a charity they knew I cared about and made donations in my name. Each of them then found or made an ornament for our tree that somehow represented the charity. I will admit to tearing up.
  • Handmade doo-dads, particularly if they have some kind of personal or sentimental significance.
    Last year, I brought home some paper bag mushrooms from an arts event we attended. I painted one to match our daughter's room and the other three to keep in my "office" here at home. (The mushrooms look like this, just in case you haven't seen them: https://dougrhodehamel.wordpress.com/2009/11/10/how-to-make-musrhooms/ ) I sent her the one I had painted for her and also photos of the ones I kept for myself. For Christmas, she made me three little elf/fairy beings with polymer clay, one to match each of my three mushrooms. 
    Oh! And also last year, my husband gave me a replica of Freddy the Golden Flute (from my favorite show from my childhood, H.R. Pufnstuf) that he made from a kit.

As you can perhaps guess, I'm not especially into "stuff" (other than books).

• Like 2