Menu

Military draft?

Night Elf

Yes.

Though I think warfare has changed in such a manner that massive numbers of cannon fodder troops are no longer advantageous.

Agreed.  But, (and I know this is unpopular), I think that a, say, two year universal service requirement, where you could choose from many different kinds of service: military, peace corps, Americorps, civil conservation corps, teach for america, etc. would be a good idea.

• Like 7

Agreed. But, (and I know this is unpopular), I think that a, say, two year universal service requirement, where you could choose from many different kinds of service: military, peace corps, Americorps, civil conservation corps, teach for america, etc. would be a good idea.

A lot a countries that used to have such a requirement have dropped it, seems it is extremely expensive and not very efficient.

I'd be in favor of such a program as a voluntary, safe way for young adults to get out into the world and gain some experience and skills. People doing mandated stuff tend to be lackluster in motivation.

Edited by maize
  • Like 5

Of course it can. But a voluntary military is the best choice for a number of reasons and it is unlikely to be utilized short of a response to a massive physical attack on America. Trump's vague plan for ramping up the military has never st any point included mandatory service and he has actually gotten specific about refusing excess foreign engagement over and over again since the primary, so that combined with what we know of Congress makes it a very unlikely outcome.

Anything could happen with any president, but this is low on the reality list given the confluence of factors and not the least of which is that he seems to understand that soft pressure can be more effective than hard pressure for achieving policy goals, provided you have enough hard pressure to make your bargaining position persuasive (that is a page straight out of Reagan's playbook and one of the reasons he wants to ramp up the standing military).

Those are my best guesses, from what I know of him and the situation as it stands. I'm completely unworried about my sons and daughters coming up for selective service at this juncture.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I believe that there is a requirement for Males, when they turn 18, if they are U.S. Citizens or Legal Residents, to register for the Draft.  I do not believe they have drafted anyone for many years. Those who are in the U.S. Armed Forces now have all volunteered to join and to serve.  To answer your question, I believe the answer is  they could draft people, today, without changing any law(s).  

We live in Colombia, but I think if I looked on the web site of the U.S. Embassy in Bogota, they would have something about registering for the Draft on their web site. 

(I am so old  that I was subject to the Draft when I turned 18, and I did not want to be drafted, so I joined....)

• Like 1

I believe that there is a requirement for Males, when they turn 18, if they are U.S. Citizens or Legal Residents, to register for the Draft.  I do not believe they have drafted anyone for many years. Those who are in the U.S. Armed Forces now have all volunteered to join and to serve.  To answer your question, I believe the answer is  they could draft people, today, without changing any law(s).  

Starting in 2018, Females will also have to register:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/15/us/politics/congress-women-military-draft.html

• Like 2