Menu

Now what? Oh man!

Night Elf

Both my washer and dryer are out of commission. I was going to call the repairman for the dryer a couple of days ago but with dealing with my sick dog and doctor visits, I just plumb forgot. Now today my washer starting making a horrible noise. And my dryer got even worse than it was a couple of days ago. Thankfully, I've got a technician coming out this afternoon if what they say is true. And with so much stress I'm under, I'm just going to pay them whatever they quote. I simply don't have the time or money to get more than one company out here for estimates. This place charges an $89 service charge just for coming out. If I agree to their estimate for parts and labor, they'll drop the service charge. That's suspicious. I hope they don't charge an arm and a leg to repair both of my appliances. I need them!

Wow- that's no fun at all. If it makes you feel any better most of the places around here do the same $89-99 service call/apply it to the cost thing. I think it's pretty standard, or it is here. 

This place charges an $89 service charge just for coming out. If I agree to their estimate for parts and labor, they'll drop the service charge. That's suspicious. 

That's normal here as well.  They just don't want to go out and diagnose for nothing if you decide to go with someone else.

• Like 2

I've been dealing with a broken washer and a dying dryer for over a week now.  I feel your pain.  I called 3 different companies and the service fee thing was standard for all 3 of them.  I actually went ahead and made appointments with 2 of them because it was going to be almost 2 weeks before someone could come.  In the meantime I opened the back of the machine and discovered what was wrong.  So I ordered the part for $50 and cancelled the service calls since the part would get here before they could.  Part arrived but it was damaged in shipping.  So I'm back to square one.  Meanwhile even while emergency stretching of clothes and towels, we are spending $15 a week just to wash the clothes and then I bring them home to dry. I won't be able to replace the machines until January at the earliest.  Hope your repair is quick and easy.

Both my washer and dryer are out of commission. I was going to call the repairman for the dryer a couple of days ago but with dealing with my sick dog and doctor visits, I just plumb forgot. Now today my washer starting making a horrible noise. And my dryer got even worse than it was a couple of days ago. Thankfully, I've got a technician coming out this afternoon if what they say is true. And with so much stress I'm under, I'm just going to pay them whatever they quote. I simply don't have the time or money to get more than one company out here for estimates. This place charges an $89 service charge just for coming out. If I agree to their estimate for parts and labor, they'll drop the service charge. That's suspicious. I hope they don't charge an arm and a leg to repair both of my appliances. I need them!

service  charge is common.  it's their time to go out, and is  a waste of their time go diagnose your problem and have someone else fix it.

they'll include it in the fix.

Bet it is a belt. When they go, the drum makes terrible noise. Not hard to fix.

maybe it's a belt.  and maybe not,

do you have upright or front loading?  My (previously CR best buy, then do NOT buy) FL - when it started making noise, it was the bearings and there is NOTHING that can be done to fix it.  it's the only time I've ever bought an extended warranty, and I used it.

The service charge/wrapping it into the service is normal.

Our dryer is on its last leg.  After 15 years it's just about dead (matching washer bit the dust last year).  We called a service guy for it when the washer went out only to find it would cost as much to repair it as it would to replace it.  We finally found a great deal on one this week and it'll be delivered tomorrow, right in time for winter.  Not that I minded using my clothesline, I still prefer it, but jeans do get a bit stiff without a nice beating.  And it will be nice to do laundry on rainy days.

AND they are expensive to repair. He couldn't duplicate the noise the washer was making so he can only guess what the problem might be. He said it would cost over $300. And the dryer will cost over $300 to repair as well and he recommends I just toss it and get a new one. He said he wouldn't put the money into it. So this is yet another expense. I hate telling my DH. Good grief!

Check Costco - I just learned they sell appliances. Who knew? 

check online. the stores usually don't stock them anymore.  they only have one model - but they're generally decent.

eta:I shopped locally, and found what I wanted. then priced them online.  I bought a couple from appliance connection. -they're back east so can take  a bit of time for shipping.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

We found what we feel was a good deal on a washer/dryer set so we bought them. They'll be delivered Saturday. I'm going to try running the washer today because I have to wash ds's work uniform but I'm going to hang it up to dry instead of listening to the noisy dryer. This was not an expense we were prepared for, but we'll manage.

• Like 1