Menu

Elderberry Syrup-homemade

DawnM

Ok, I am convinced.

I bought some Sambucol and it has really helped, esp. for my 16 year old who seems to get sicker than the rest of us.  He just catches stuff.

Anyway, since Sambucol is about $23 per 8 ounces, I have started looking at making my own in large batches and just having it on hand.  But I have questions.

1.  Does the homemade work just as well?

2. Is there a recipe that tastes very similar to Sambucol?   

(this particular child is also a VERY picky eater and won't take it if it doesn't taste good)

3.  Where do you get your dried elderberry?  Is Amazon the best place?  If I want to try it tomorrow will the local Whole Foods have it?

4.  Roughly how much is your 16 ounce homemade jar to make?

5.  The recipes call for straining the juice off the dried elderberry and tossing the elderberry.  Would it work to Vitamix the entire thing and use that in your syrup?  Would there be added benefits to this?

THANK YOU!,

Dawn

PS:  There is a woman who sells her homemade stuff for $20 per 16 ounce jar.  I am thinking it should only be around $5 to make myself, but I may buy a jar from her to tide me over until I can figure this out.

• Like 1

:bigear:

We love Sambucol. We buy big bottles on Amazon which are less expensive than local stores, but it sounds like making your own is much cheaper than both of those options.

Do you have a recipe to share?

I am finding several online and they don't look difficult.  If I can find one I like, I can make large batches, I think......oh great, another question, how long does it last?

This seems to be a reoccurring recipe:

http://wellnessmama.com/1888/elderberry-syrup/

• Like 1

I found this on happymoneysaver.com

Our homemade version costs the following:

Elderberries: $2.25 (not including shipping costs which can vary from free-$5)
Honey: $1.70
Spices: less than $.50
Total Price for 16 oz of homemade elderberry syrup: $4.45, or about $.278 per ounce.

• Like 1

Ok, I am convinced.

I bought some Sambucol and it has really helped, esp. for my 16 year old who seems to get sicker than the rest of us.  He just catches stuff.

Anyway, since Sambucol is about $23 per 8 ounces, I have started looking at making my own in large batches and just having it on hand.  But I have questions.

1.  Does the homemade work just as well?

2. Is there a recipe that tastes very similar to Sambucol?   

(this particular child is also a VERY picky eater and won't take it if it doesn't taste good)

3.  Where do you get your dried elderberry?  Is Amazon the best place?  If I want to try it tomorrow will the local Whole Foods have it?

4.  Roughly how much is your 16 ounce homemade jar to make?

5.  The recipes call for straining the juice off the dried elderberry and tossing the elderberry.  Would it work to Vitamix the entire thing and use that in your syrup?  Would there be added benefits to this?

THANK YOU!,

Dawn

PS:  There is a woman who sells her homemade stuff for $20 per 16 ounce jar.  I am thinking it should only be around $5 to make myself, but I may buy a jar from her to tide me over until I can figure this out.

I haven't made it since about 2007ish.

It works just as well.  Use sparingly.  If you haven't read the articles on elderberry *over* stimulating the immune response, it's something to be aware of as well but elderberry is amazing.  Make sure you use very ripe berries.  Don't let green or underripe berries get in there.  Also, don't let the kiddos "snack" on the berries.  Ripe, cooked, this is what you want.  

I can tell you it boils down pretty quick.  I don't remember to how much thought... I did just strain it with cheesecloth.   I would assume that there could potentially be an added benefit because of the skin, however, it will be more pulpy I would assume rather than thin and syrupy.

However, a word of warning:

dryingelderberries.jpg

If you pick this many - you better be prepared to work, lol.  Some of this molded before I got to it and I wish I had picked over a few days. I  also really wish I had dried a lot but humidity here isn't conducive to large batch, outdoor drying.

• Like 4

I use this recipe, and it works great and tastes AMAZING. Like Christmas in a bottle almost. Even my husband, who is picky, likes it. 

2 C berries (dried, not fresh)
4 C honey (raw, local)
Cloves, maybe 2 tbl
Ginger, a lot (huge piece, thinly sliced, don't peel)
Cinnamon sticks, 3 or 4

Combine everything but the honey in a large, heavy bottomed pot. Cover with 8-10 C of water. Bring to a rolling boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook down for an hour or two. Remove from heat and strain through a sieve or cheesecloth into another large container. Squeeze or press the berries to get as much liquid out as possible. 

To avoid destroying the medicinal qualities in the raw honey, wait until the liquid is 100° or less before adding the honey. Add and stir slowly until well incorporated. Cool completely and store in glass jars. Lasts in the refrigerator for up to three months.

Preventive: adults, 1 tbl/day; children, 1 tsp/day.

For symptoms: adults 1 tbl every 2-3 hours as needed; children 1 tsp every 2-3 hours as needed.

• Like 1

I haven't made it since about 2007ish.

It works just as well.  Use sparingly.  If you haven't read the articles on elderberry *over* stimulating the immune response, it's something to be aware of as well but elderberry is amazing.  Make sure you use very ripe berries.  Don't let green or underripe berries get in there.  Also, don't let the kiddos "snack" on the berries.  Ripe, cooked, this is what you want.  

I can tell you it boils down pretty quick.  I don't remember to how much thought... I did just strain it with cheesecloth.   I would assume that there could potentially be an added benefit because of the skin, however, it will be more pulpy I would assume rather than thin and syrupy.

However, a word of warning:

dryingelderberries.jpg

If you pick this many - you better be prepared to work, lol.  Some of this molded before I got to it and I wish I had picked over a few days. I  also really wish I had dried a lot but humidity here isn't conducive to large batch, outdoor drying.

I won't be picking or drying.  I will be buying pre-dried berries.  I simply do not have time for that.  

• Like 1

I use this recipe, and it works great and tastes AMAZING. Like Christmas in a bottle almost. Even my husband, who is picky, likes it. 

2 C berries (dried, not fresh)

4 C honey (raw, local)

Cloves, maybe 2 tbl

Ginger, a lot (huge piece, thinly sliced, don't peel)

Cinnamon sticks, 3 or 4

Combine everything but the honey in a large, heavy bottomed pot. Cover with 8-10 C of water. Bring to a rolling boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook down for an hour or two. Remove from heat and strain through a sieve or cheesecloth into another large container. Squeeze or press the berries to get as much liquid out as possible. 

To avoid destroying the medicinal qualities in the raw honey, wait until the liquid is 100° or less before adding the honey. Add and stir slowly until well incorporated. Cool completely and store in glass jars. Lasts in the refrigerator for up to three months.

Preventive: adults, 1 tbl/day; children, 1 tsp/day.

For symptoms: adults 1 tbl every 2-3 hours as needed; children 1 tsp every 2-3 hours as needed.

Maybe I will just try some different recipes and see what my fussy/picky boy will actually drink/eat.  

Some people say that if you add Brandy it is a preservative and it will last a month.  How long does yours last?  Or how long is it good?

Maybe I will just try some different recipes and see what my fussy/picky boy will actually drink/eat.  

Some people say that if you add Brandy it is a preservative and it will last a month.  How long does yours last?  Or how long is it good?

Supposedly  it is good in the refrigerator for 3 months. I've used it even past that and it seemed fine. 

• Like 1

I freeze mine in ice cube trays and then put the cubes in a freezer baggie. They thaw super fast individually and I can even cut off a chunk if I don't want to thaw a whole cube (doesn't freeze hard because of the honey). I use a recipe with ginger and cinnamon and it tastes really good. I have not used Sambucol but my homemade syrup works well.

Personally I would buy the elderberries locally from a health food store, or online from mountainroseherbs.com or bulkherbstore.com.

• Like 2

You guys inspired me to go buy some to try.  Our health food store even had gummies, but I bought both the actual syrup and the gummies.  Kids liked both.

You can make your own gummies. I think they are more like thick jello (jiggler things) , but they are made with the syrup and gelatin. I may try that for my kids next as I know they would eat that.

Dadwn

Edited by DawnM

Does your picky-eater like jelly?  Elderberries make wonderful jelly - it is basically the same recipe as the syrup, just add more fruit pectin.  We make gallons and gallons of it every year and haven't ever had any go bad or lose its potency.  We use the immersion method when canning it.

• Like 2

Does your picky-eater like jelly?  Elderberries make wonderful jelly - it is basically the same recipe as the syrup, just add more fruit pectin.  We make gallons and gallons of it every year and haven't ever had any go bad or lose its potency.  We use the immersion method when canning it.

No. He ONLY likes grape jelly. He won't even eat strawberry jelly, even if it is the only jelly in the house.

I've never had sambucal but I do make elderberry stuff for my family.

I make rose hip (vitamin C powerhouse) and elderberry honey-syrup then turn them into gummies by adding gelatin and chilling in silicone molds. The kids think it's weird candy and my husband loves them.

I get the raw ingredients and just make a whole bunch at once for my family and  our extended family.

I use the recipe you linked. It works really well. I put it in small canning jars and freeze. I try to use raw honey, but use regular in a pinch. For s picky eater, I would put less ginger.

I buy from Amazon. I buy organic. I strain with a strainer. I know it's a lot cheaper, but I've never priced it out. It is really so easy. Easier than soup.

• Like 2

I've never had sambucal but I do make elderberry stuff for my family.

I make rose hip (vitamin C powerhouse) and elderberry honey-syrup then turn them into gummies by adding gelatin and chilling in silicone molds. The kids think it's weird candy and my husband loves them.

I get the raw ingredients and just make a whole bunch at once for my family and our extended family.

Recipe?? We love rosehip tea. I'd love to make gummies with rosehip in it.
  • Like 1

Recipe?? We love rosehip tea. I'd love to make gummies with rosehip in it.

I just eyeball everything but it'd be similar to this random one I just pulled up. I don't use cayenne though (gross! plus I have people that are allergic to it) but do use cinnamon. Definitely agree with this person about not cooking the rosehips. ETA! Oh you know what, I also put a dollop of coconut oil in there.

I get herbs from Mountain Rose and kosher gelatin from amazon or vitacost, whoever has it cheaper. The gelatin does not impart flavor in something like this.

Edited by OKBud

I would love to know where to get good elderberries. I tried to make the syrup last year using dried organic berries from Frontier. When I opened them they smelled overpowering and gross. I'm not sure if I got a bad batch or that's just how dried elderberries smell. What are they supposed to smell like?

Anyway, I pressed ahead and made the syrup and, no surprise, it tasted worse than the berries smelled. I ended up throwing away the syrup, which was a waste of a lot of good-quality honey, and threw the berries away as well. It was a total fail but I'm up for trying again if I can find good berries.

• Like 1

I would love to know where to get good elderberries. I tried to make the syrup last year using dried organic berries from Frontier. When I opened them they smelled overpowering and gross. I'm not sure if I got a bad batch or that's just how dried elderberries smell. What are they supposed to smell like?

Anyway, I pressed ahead and made the syrup and, no surprise, it tasted worse than the berries smelled. I ended up throwing away the syrup, which was a waste of a lot of good-quality honey, and threw the berries away as well. It was a total fail but I'm up for trying again if I can find good berries.

I think they always smell gross. Like .....the way cranberries taste+wet leaves.

I love the smell of elderberries but the rest of family squinch up their noses at the smell and mutter that Mama is making her winter witch's brew again....

ETA They say it smells like old sweat socks. I think it smells like berries (duh!)

Edited by YaelAldrich
  • Like 2