Menu

Where to find this bedding/Quilt?

fairfarmhand

What I want:

(actually I want one of my Grandmother's old, soft, heavy quilts, but I don't know what happened to them)

A heavy warm quilt. I want it to be soft and drapey. Most Comforters don't feel heavy or warm to me. They tend to tent up and let cool air blow down my neck. I guess because they're puffy?

I don't want puffy.

My bed covers are getting worn. I could make my own quilt, in fact what's on there now is one of my quilts that I made, but it's getting worn,

I even have a quilted top that needs to be finished, but I don't know when I'll ever have time to complete it.

Where can I buy this kind of a cover for my bed?

ETA: Cotton or similar. Microfiber and polyester make my skin crawl.

ETA2: Pretty would be a bonus.

Edited by fairfarmhand

What I want:

(actually I want one of my Grandmother's old, soft, heavy quilts, but I don't know what happened to them)

A heavy warm quilt. I want it to be soft and drapey. Most Comforters don't feel heavy or warm to me. They tend to tent up and let cool air blow down my neck. I guess because they're puffy?

I don't want puffy.

My bed covers are getting worn. I could make my own quilt, in fact what's on there now is one of my quilts that I made, but it's getting worn,

I even have a quilted top that needs to be finished, but I don't know when I'll ever have time to complete it.

Where can I buy this kind of a cover for my bed?

ETA: Cotton or similar. Microfiber and polyester make my skin crawl.

ETA2: Pretty would be a bonus.

Have you considered taking the quilt top you have to a shop that has a long-arm quilting machine? They can quilt and bind it for you. 

• Like 3

Have you considered taking the quilt top you have to a shop that has a long-arm quilting machine? They can quilt and bind it for you.

This! My stepmother does it with her quilts. She enjoys the piecing part but not the rest.

I have one from Garnet Hill that's almost 20 years old. I layer it over a down comforter for the perfect weight and warmth. It weighs down the puff.

Bed bath beyond and kohls both carry quilted bedspread. Mine is a king size on queen bed and goes about 5 inches above the floor. I remember finding a website last year when I was shopping. All quilts, but I can't remember what it was.

Donna sharp.com carries all things quilted .

Amish stores carry gorgeous stuff.

But if you have a quilt top I would spend my money and have someone complete that for me. Sewing machine shops probably know someone who does that. We have a local fabric store thst will give out names of people who will do this as well.

• Like 1

Bed bath beyond and kohls both carry quilted bedspread. Mine is a king size on queen bed and goes about 5 inches above the floor. I remember finding a website last year when I was shopping. All quilts, but I can't remember what it was.

Donna sharp.com carries all things quilted .

Amish stores carry gorgeous stuff.

But if you have a quilt top I would spend my money and have someone complete that for me. Sewing machine shops probably know someone who does that. We have a local fabric store thst will give out names of people who will do this as well.

Yeah, I can find those, but I want a heavy, warm one. That's the part I am struggling with.

That and so many places use that awful polyester backing that just squicks me out. I can't stand the way it feels, even to just make it up.

So I think I'll hunt down someone to fix up my quilt top.

• Like 1

BTW, the reason for all this, is that we turn our heat way down overnight in winter. Like down to 64-68. I get cold easily, so I need a heavy quilt. And if I just pile them on, they end up shifting around in the night and I'll lose one down at the end of the bed or they'll get crooked or something. So more than 2 covers is annoying,.

• Like 1

Yeah, I can find those, but I want a heavy, warm one. That's the part I am struggling with.

That and so many places use that awful polyester backing that just squicks me out. I can't stand the way it feels, even to just make it up.

So I think I'll hunt down someone to fix up my quilt top.

All,of the ones I have purchased have a cotton backing.my current one is completely reversible. While they are not overly thick, they are warm. We only have one thin blanket on our bed, besides the quilt and we turn the heat down to 62 at night.

But I think you will be happiest with your own.

Edited by KatieinMich

If you have a craft store like JoAnn's near you, in their sewing machine section they usually advertise local quilt makers and shops.   I did the piecing for a quilt for my DD years ago, and hired a local quilter to do the quilting.   I loved the way it turned out!   I think this is the best way to get what you really want, because they'll be able to use the exact filling and backing you need.   (I have the opposite problem - living in Florida, I was looking for the thinnest, lightest fill I could get.)

BTW, the reason for all this, is that we turn our heat way down overnight in winter. Like down to 64-68. I get cold easily, so I need a heavy quilt. And if I just pile them on, they end up shifting around in the night and I'll lose one down at the end of the bed or they'll get crooked or something. So more than 2 covers is annoying,.

My heated mattress pad changed my life. DH has never turned his side on, but I love it to break the chill and avoid extra covers on my side or head-to-toe fleece pajamas. It doesn't slip like a blanket, so you stay warm. I've only ever used the lowest setting and it's wonderful. My muscles just relax when I hit my pre-heated bed.

• Like 2

The traditional answer to this was a wool blanket.  There are pricey ones like Pendleton, but I just watch Harbor Freight shops for their wool/polyester blankets.  They smell at first; you have to launder them then hang them outside or in a garage to let the stink off gas for several days.  Then I spray with febreeze like crazy and put them on the bed under any old pretty bedspread.  Like a hotel - sheet, wool blanket, bedspread.  Less puff, very heavy and warm.

They're about $10 on sale, very warm, and they also make fantastic emergency blankets for the car.  Which reminds me I need to buy some more because last winter we gave ours to some college kids who'd crashed their car into a fence on an icy day.

We were looking for just this, and in the end, what fit the bill was a heavy blanket. And I hate hate hate polyester, but I think the blanket is polyester. It works anyway. I have it in storage until it gets cooler out...but I will go dig it out and check the tags. I have two. I need more as everyone steals them from each other all winter long! LOL

OK..for the record, the storage area was very hot. And it turned out to not be in there. I forgot I decided to store it in the top of the linen closet this past winter. Which is out of my reach. BUT, I got a step ladder and dug around and found out the one is "Shabby Chic" brand from Target and I assume the other is the same. It also happens to be on sale right now.

The traditional answer to this was a wool blanket. There are pricey ones like Pendleton, but I just watch Harbor Freight shops for their wool/polyester blankets. They smell at first; you have to launder them then hang them outside or in a garage to let the stink off gas for several days. Then I spray with febreeze like crazy and put them on the bed under any old pretty bedspread. Like a hotel - sheet, wool blanket, bedspread. Less puff, very heavy and warm.

They're about $10 on sale, very warm, and they also make fantastic emergency blankets for the car. Which reminds me I need to buy some more because last winter we gave ours to some college kids who'd crashed their car into a fence on an icy day.

Army surplus store might have them too.

I highly recommend this quilter:  http://www.rockymountainquilting.com/rmq/Services_%26_Pricing.html

And she was a hser for many years, to boot! She does beautiful work. 

OH! Thank you for this! I think this is the route I will go! And I can bind it myself to save money. I don't mind binding.

The quilt top I pieced is a copy of one that my Grandmother made. I've never seen one like it. It's embroidered, appliqued blocks of ladies with bonnets. Each bonnet is of a different color/pattern. My grandmother made me the original when I was a child. It is in bad shape now, and a twin, so I pieced/embroidered one that's a queen.

But I don't care for quilting that much.

I love my big down comforter. We have a sheet, a thin down blanket, and a big down comforter for winter. It is so warm that I usually end up flinging off the comforter some time during the night. I really love them!

But...puffy....I don't like puffy.

I have this thing about stuff around my face. I don't do turtlenecks or scarves and puffy blankets make me feel like I'm being smothered, unless they're pushed down to my shoulders and then my neck gets cold.