Menu

Book a Week 2016 - BW42: Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Robin M

Happy Sunday dear hearts!  This is the beginning of week 42 in our quest to read 52 books. Welcome back to all our readers, to those just joining in and all who are following our progress. Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 Books blog to link to your reviews. The link is also below in my signature.

52 Books Blog - Frankenstein by Mary Shelley:  

book%2Bcover%2BFrankenstein.jpg

I'm going to assume that everyone who has wanted to read Frankenstein has read it by now.  For those who haven't read it, hopefully you won't be miffed by the telling of the story.  Yes, it is full of spoilers.  Who knows, you may be intrigued enough to finally read it. 

Synopsis: "Obsessed with creating life itself, Victor Frankenstein plunders grave yards for the material to fashion a new being, which he shocks into life with electricity. But his botched creature, rejected by Frankenstein and denied human companionship, sets out to destroy his maker and all that he holds dear. Mary Shelley's chilling Gothic tale was conceived when she was only eighteen, living with her love Percy Shelley near Bryon's villa on Lake Geneva. It would become the world's most famous work of horror fiction, and remains a devastating exploration of the limits of human creativity."

I was surprised by the story because I some preconceived ideas about it from various films I had seen over the years and those were shot all to heck.

The story starts with an Adventurer Robert Wallen, trying to reach the North Pole. He tells the story in letters to his sister, Elizabeth. Out in the middle of the frozen ice lands, they meet up with Dr. Frankenstein who is chasing the monster. Frankenstein takes over the narrative at this point, telling his story and how he came to be there.

He had created a monster. Upon creating this monster and shocking it to life, he became instantly disgusted with it and himself and abandoned it.

"The different accidents of life are not so changeable as the feelings of human nature. I had worked hard for nearly two years, for the sole purpose of infusing life into an inanimate body. For this I had deprived myself of rest and healthy. I had desired it with an ardour that far exceeded moderation; but now that I had finished, the beauty of the dream vanished, and breathless horror and disgust filled my heart. Unable to endure the aspect of the being I had created, I rushed out of the room, and continued a long time traversing my bedchamber, unable to compose my mind to sleep....

I started from my sleep with horror; a cold dew covered my forehead, my teeth chattered, and every limb became convulsed: when, by the dim and yellow light of the moon, as it forced it way through the window shutters, I beheld the wretch - the miserable monster whom I had created. He held up the curtain of the bed; and his eye, if eyes they may be called, were fixed on me. His jaws opened and he muttered some inarticulate sounds, while a grin wrinkled his cheeks. He might have spoken, but I did not hear; one hand was stretched out, seemingly to detain me, but I escaped and rushed downstairs." pg 58 -59

He leaves the house for a couple days and when he returns is overjoyed that the monster has left. The monster disappears for a period of time only to resurface angry with Frankenstein and kills his brother. Frankenstein knows the monster is responsible, however he is very depressed and travels up into the Alps to escape and sooth his weary spirit. The monster finds him and approaches and asks him to listen and help him. The monster has managed to educate himself quite well.

"Be calm! I entreat you to hear me, before you give vent to your hatred on my devoted head. Have I not suffered enough, that you seek to increase my misery? Life, although it may only be an accumulation of anguish, is dear to me, and I will defend it. Remember, thou hast made me more powerful that thyself; my height is superior to thine, my joints more supple. But I will not be tempted to set myself in opposition to thee. I am thy creature, and I will be even mild and docile to my natural lord and king, if thou wilt also perform thy part, the which thou owest me. Oh, Frankenstein, be not equitable to every other and trample upon me alone, to whom thy justice, and even thy clemency and affection is most due. Remember, that I am thy creature; I ought to be thy Adam, but I am rather the fallen angel, whom thou drivest from joy for no misdeed. Everywhere I see bliss, from which I alone am irrevocably excluded. I was benevolent and good; misery made me a friend. Make me happy and I shall again be virtuous." pg 102-103

The monster educated himself while living in a storage shed by a French family's house and spying on them. He managed to get a hold of three books and learned to read. The three books: Milton's Paradise Lost, Plutarch's Parallel lives and Johann von Goeth's Sorrows of Werter. The monster wants Frankenstein to make him a woman, a mate who will keep him company and he promises to disappear forever. After some thought, Frankenstein decides to so. He disappears to a tiny island and in the middle of making the monster's mate, is so overcome with disgust, destroys the mate halfway through. The Monster, who had been keeping tabs on him, kills the doctor's best friend, Cherval,  and Frankenstein is put in jail for the murder. When he is acquitted, he returns home to his father and his lady love who is still waiting for him.  

Even though the Monster told him he would be there on his wedding night and kill him and despite the fact the good Doctor tells his lady love he has a terrible secret, but can't reveal it to her until they are married, he and Elizabeth get married. Frankenstein sends his new wife off to bed, while he paces the floor in the library, overcome with worry about Frankenstein.

"She left me, and I continued some time walking up and down the passages of the house, and inspecting every corner that might afford a retreat to my adversary. But I discovered no trace of him, and was beginning to conjecture that some fortunate chance had intervened to prevent the execution of his menaces; when suddenly I heard a shrill and dreadful scream. It had come from the room into which Elizabeth had retired. As I heard it, the whole truth rushed into my mind, my arms dropped, the motion of every muscle and fibre was suspended; I could feel the blood trickling in my veins, and tingling in the extremities of my limbs. This state lasted but for an instant; the scream was repeated and I rushed into the room." pg 199

Yes, the monster killed Elizabeth and the chase is on. Dr. Frankenstein chases the monster until we get to the point where the doctor meets up with Robert Walden. Dr. Frankenstein is in ill health and ends up dying. Robert discovers the Monster in the room with Dr. Frankenstein, saying goodbye to his creator. After a long and dramatic discourse over his body, the Monster jumps out the window and disappears into the night.

"But soon,' he cried, with sad and solemn enthusiasm, 'I shall die, and what I now feel be no longer felt. Soon these burning miseries will be extinct. I shall ascend my funeral pile triumphantly, and exult in the agony of the torturing flames. The list of that conflagration will fade away, my ashes will be swept into the sea by the winds. My spirit will sleep in peace; or if it thinks, it will not surely think thus. Farewell.' pg 225

History of the Renaissance World - Chapters 73 and 74 

What are you reading this week?

Link to week 41

• Like 14

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today was the day I decided to treat myself to Down a Dark Hall https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/538757.Down_a_Dark_Hall a favourite spooky book from my childhood, since it was first printed in 1974 I probably was reading it in 1974. ;) I was impressed to find it in kindle format but didn't think or look beyond. Well I missed an all important word, revised. For the first few pages it felt timeless :lol: then wifi, cell phones, et. Started appearing. I am not pleased! I did make it to halfway pretty quickly. I don't really remember the original other than it had a great gothic feel. This doesn't so far. The spooky bits are clipped. I discovered my favourite (not!!!) author Stephanie Meyer (Twilight) bought the rights and turned it into a movie. That's how it ended up revised. I am so disappointed.

I also finished my Miss Julia Hits the Road. Such a great story. Fun! I really liked this one.

• Like 17

oh yay, yay!!  Frankenstein!  I chose it for my book group to read for next meeting.  (Double props if they watch Young Frankenstein with their children and watch the kids squirm at the double entendres.)

So many books on the Kindle stack but I managed to finish How to Live:  A Life of Montaigne in One Question and Twenty Attempts at an Answer, by Sarah Bakewell.  It was a different spin on the biography form, for sure.  I enjoyed it very much.  And I also abandoned Here I Am by Jonathan Safran Foer, it was entirely too precious and gratingly annoying. 

Mumto2, (not 100% sure how to quote between BaW weeks) I adore Elizabeth Zimmerman, my fave image is of her knitting on the back of her hubby's motorcycle, going up and down the rolling hills of Wisconsin. 

• Like 20

Hi everyone!

Storms love us. My dear husband and I departed NC for Seattle as Matthew was traveling north. Storm watching from afar, we boarded an expedition boat for a week of hiking and kayaking in the San Juan Islands. Fantastic! But wouldn't you know it? We left Seattle on Saturday as the Pacific Northwest hunkered down for the remnants of a typhoon. Sigh.

I'll have travelogue details and photos in the days ahead--gotta readjust to Eastern time.

Books? Not much reading on this vacation...

Xxoo

• Like 22

I read Double Indemnity last night, my 200th book of the year, so I've reached my goal. I really enjoyed it. It's a novella, and more of a short-story style than a fully developed novel - you don't get much backstory or scene setting, but the action was good and the characters were interesting. It's kind of a Cliffs Notes version of Crime & Punishment - a man makes a choice to commit a murder and deals with the consequences.  The ending was a bit hokey, but it was an enjoyable quick read and it makes me eager to see the film.

On to my next detective novel - PD James's An Unsuitable Job for a Woman. I've read lots of her Dreamy Dalgliesh books, as y'all know, but I don't think I've read this one. I thought it would be interesting to read a similar style of detective story - a more hard-boiled kind - with a woman protagonist. Hence it has to be a bit more modern than Chandler, Hammett, and that crowd. It was published in 1972, so it's officially Modern (i.e. written in my lifetime - I was born in '71  ;)) though it will probably seem like ancient history to dd.

Still reading Underground Airlines, which I'm intentionally taking slow, letting it build up. Fantastic book so far.  Also still reading Galore slowly, and enjoying it.   

• Like 21

Last week I read the first book in the Poldark series. I enjoyed it much more than I expected to. I've been watching the series put out by Masterpiece Theater (Aiden Turner :001_wub: ) and while I liked the series I wasn't expecting the books to be as well-written as they are. There is a passage describing Verity's disappointment (I won't spoil it by saying anything more) that is so beautiful - I had to mark the page and have gone back to reread it several times.

My oldest dd is listening to the audible version and says the reader is excellent; I'm going to try the audible version for the second book, Demelza, which is narrated by Clare Corbett.

I also read Awkward by Svetlana Chmakova because of Amy's glowing recommendation here. I loved it! My teen and preteen dds loved it! Thank you, Amy!! Looking forward to a sequel.

I am still listening to The Count of Monte Cristo with Heather Ordover of Craftlit. as well as finishing up Jane Eyre with her, too.

And one last audiobook - Something Wicked This Way Comes. I'm liking it, the reader is very good, but Ray Bradbury sometimes goes on a little too long over things for my liking. I find myself saying, just get on with it already!

Did I list Amy Schumer's new book last time I posted? I enjoyed it but boy, she holds nothing back, does she? :laugh:

• Like 19

oh yay, yay!!  Frankenstein!  I chose it for my book group to read for next meeting.  (Double props if they watch Young Frankenstein with their children and watch the kids squirm at the double entendres.)

So many books on the Kindle stack but I managed to finish How to Live:  A Life of Montaigne in One Question and Twenty Attempts at an Answer, by Sarah Bakewell.  It was a different spin on the biography form, for sure.  I enjoyed it very much.  And I also abandoned Here I Am by Jonathan Safran Foer, it was entirely too precious and gratingly annoying. 

Mumto2, (not 100% sure how to quote between BaW weeks) I adore Elizabeth Zimmerman, my fave image is of her knitting on the back of her hubby's motorcycle, going up and down the rolling hills of Wisconsin. 

I read about half of the Montaigne book this summer but couldn't finish as it was due back at the library. I'll have to order it as I was enjoying it, too!

EZ was pretty bada**, wasn't she? I hope to someday be as confident a knitter as she was!

• Like 13

How is your nose, Robin?

Are you healed from your 'alligator' encounter, Stacia?

How is your little one faring, Angela?

And welcome home, Jane!

Last night I finished a re-read of Thea Harrison's novella The Wicked (Elder Races) which I enjoyed once again.  It features, as secondary characters, the hero and heroine of Oracle's Moon (one of my favorite books in the Elder Races series), so it was fun to revisit those characters as well.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 17

I've been reading Hawaii and doing all sorts of rabbit trails for it, still. I found out someone I know is a descendent of the actual missionary the main character is based upon, and they showed me some heirlooms! I also started Neufeld's Hold On to Your Kids.

Turns out I was mistaken when I posted last week about our library book sale. It was Friday and DH was still in town, so we had a wonderful time and found some really good materials. My favorite item was a full set of World's Famous Orations, edited by William Jennings Bryan and published in 1906. I also got a copy of The Math Book, which is a beautiful book covering 250 milestones in math history. I also picked up a copy of Michener's Mexico so I guess I'm going on a Michener streak after buying Alaska last week!

#102: I read The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart to my boys (bedtime story).  It was so good!  It was a freebie I got almost two years ago.  It was so good that I got the second book and started reading it to them last night.  It's smart, sometimes funny, sometimes exciting.  All three of us loved it.

My son loved these books so much and I read them as well. There's also a puzzle book!

Last year, I think I avoided Shirley Jackson's We Have Always Lived in the Castle because it seemed too creepy or scary.

I am so glad I decided to give it a try this year; it's quick & I finished it in one day. Deliciously polite & yet evil at the same time with touches of both humor & true humanity.

Wow. Just read it.

A great book for October.

I'm going to start this later today. Its' a nice (rare for October) rainy Sunday here.

Too bad! I thought maybe Book a Week had an "in" at Oxford Univ Press. I was going to start angling for a discount.

Earlier this year I tried to apply a 30% discount code and it wouldn't apply for the OUP books I wanted. I phoned customer support and the rep explained that it wasn't applicable to books that started with a particular number. I expressed disappointment, mentioning how much I wanted them for my kids, explaining that I homeschool. Turns out her daughter homeschools her grandchildren, she thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread but agrees it can be expensive, and she tried code after code until she found one that gave me 50% off! Instead of my original 6 books, I ended up buying 11.  :D

Edited by idnib
  • Like 20

I read All The Little Liars by Charlaine Harris this week. It was the newest Aurora Teagarden mystery and while I wanted to love it, it was pretty obvious she was trying to push out some new books because she has another TV series based on one of her series coming out. I gave it three stars because I still like the character and have hopes that Harris will put out some better books.

• Like 17

True confessions time - I stayed up last night to finish a new Jodi Picoult dh brought me home from the shop. It was very heavy handed, but might be a revelation to some in her audience, who haven't come across the concept of 'unpacking the knapsack' before. 

I am still not entirely sure what I think about her redemption of a Neo-Nazi skinhead.

More excitingly, dh also brought home Hag Seed, which I cannot wait to start, but will, because it's a school day....

I feel like I've done my duty re Frankenstein, now that all my children know that F isn't the monster.

Sadie, I feel like you are blazing my reading trail for me - I just brought home Hag Seed, but I can't start it till I finish Underground Airlines, which I started right after The Mandibles . . . So what are you reading next?  ;)  :D

I love Frankenstein. I've read it 3 times in the last 3 or 4 years and I like it more every time. I've covered it with one kid now, and have a few years till the next one gets there. 

And speaking of rabbit trails - I read Double Indemnity, which made me want to read The Postman Always Rings Twice, which Camus claims was his inspiration for The Stranger, after which of course I must read The Mersault Investigation . . . . So I've got a path laid out, too.  

Assuming I can find any time to read the next two weeks. It's Tech for dd's play, and since they are performing at two different venues two weeks in a row, we have to do two weeks of tech, back to back.  And I just found out last night that my duties apparently include running lights for the show - I've never touched a light board in my life, and I am not happy knowing I have the power to screw up the entire show at my fingertips.  This is one of those volunteer gigs that keeps growing . . . and GROWING . . . and GROWING!  At this point I can't wait till the show will be over.  :eek:

• Like 18

lol, I have The Wonder by Emma Donoghue sitting underneath Hag Seed.

Ah, I'll look forward to hearing what you think of it.  I found Room to be amazingly devastating, but not the kind of book I want to read more than once a decade (I feel similarly about We Need to Talk About Kevin).  I'm curious if this will have a similar level of emotional intensity. Books with suffering children really tend to slay me.

• Like 14

quote name="NoseInABook" post="7246762" timestamp="1476654392"]

I read All The Little Liars by Charlaine Harris this week. It was the newest Aurora Teagarden mystery and while I wanted to love it, it was pretty obvious she was trying to push out some new books because she has another TV series based on one of her series coming out. I gave it three stars because I still like the character and have hopes that Harris will put out some better books.

I haven't been able to find that book yet although I was notified by goodreads it was coming. Are they turning Aurora into a series?

Last week I read the first book in the Poldark series. I enjoyed it much more than I expected to. I've been watching the series put out by Masterpiece Theater (Aiden Turner :001_wub: ) and while I liked the series I wasn't expecting the books to be as well-written as they are. There is a passage describing Verity's disappointment (I won't spoil it by saying anything more) that is so beautiful - I had to mark the page and have gone back to reread it several times.

My oldest dd is listening to the audible version and says the reader is excellent; I'm going to try the audible version for the second book, Demelza, which is narrated by Clare Corbett.

I also read Awkward by Svetlana Chmakova because of Amy's glowing recommendation here. I loved it! My teen and preteen dds loved it! Thank you, Amy!! Looking forward to a sequel.

I am still listening to The Count of Monte Cristo with Heather Ordover of Craftlit. as well as finishing up Jane Eyre with her, too.

And one last audiobook - Something Wicked This Way Comes. I'm liking it, the reader is very good, but Ray Bradbury sometimes goes on a little too long over things for my liking. I find myself saying, just get on with it already!

Did I list Amy Schumer's new book last time I posted? I enjoyed it but boy, she holds nothing back, does she? :laugh:

I just watched the most recent Poldark tonight. Are you on Series 2? I have the books someplace. Very dusty.

Glad to hear there are some other EZ fans here. Does not surprise me. I wish we all lived near each other. We would have so much fun!

oh yay, yay!! Frankenstein! I chose it for my book group to read for next meeting. (Double props if they watch Young Frankenstein with their children and watch the kids squirm at the double entendres.)

So many books on the Kindle stack but I managed to finish How to Live: A Life of Montaigne in One Question and Twenty Attempts at an Answer, by Sarah Bakewell. It was a different spin on the biography form, for sure. I enjoyed it very much. And I also abandoned Here I Am by Jonathan Safran Foer, it was entirely too precious and gratingly annoying.

Young Frankenstein is one of my favorites. I haven't watched it in years. Not sure if my kids have ever watched it.

Fyi, I just managed to pull a quote from last week using multiquote.....the only problem is I can't seem to edit the quotes. I have to say after my EZ post I have a huge urge to knit her baby sweater. planning to locate my pattern soon.

I had to read "Frankenstein" again since it's October. My 10yo read lots of Halloween picture books.

Ă¢ËœÂº

Great timing for this weeks thread! :)

Obviously I had technical difficulties!!! Hopefully I can copy from my post on last week. Sorry for experimenting.

• Like 12

So this is what a free Sunday afternoon feels like! Ahhhh! I've spent the last 4 hours lounging, reading and internet surfing (and cat napping) to my heart's content. 

I finished up Midnight Riot, the first of the Peter Grant urban fantasy/mystery series. I really liked it, but I'm a total sucker for British humor and police procedural details. It has just the right amount of magic, and it is a logical magic system, and I loved the little details of London history that made the story work. In short -- it is smart and funny. The American publishers did it a disservice by slapping that stupid title on it. The original British title is Rivers of London -- which is what it should be called. 

By the way, "The Durrells in Corfu" starts tonight on PBS. I have high hopes that it is as delightful as the Gerald Durrell's My Family and Other Animals.  I believe it is on right before Poldark, meaning I have an excuse to stay glued to the couch for a few more hours tonight!

• Like 18

... (not 100% sure how to quote between BaW weeks) ...

Have this week's thread open to the reply box then open a new tab or window.  Once there, go to the post of interest in last week's thread and click on Quote.  Then copy that post (in my case, I hit Ctrl A, Ctrl C) and paste it into the reply box for this week's thread (in my case, Ctrl V).

So, for example ~

Link to week 42 - please continue conversation in new thread 

When you do this, the name given in the quote is not always accurate as you are performing the function, but it seems to be correct when you hit Add Reply.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 11

RE: Frankenstein, I am currently reading one of the three books the monster read while he was hiding out in a chicken coop, or whatever: The Sorrows of Young Werther by Goethe. 

I finished listening to The Turn of the Screw, which was perfect for running through the park at twilight, and convinced dh to listen to it too. He's loving it. Now I'm listening to Born Standing Up: A Comic's Life by Steve Martin, which has much better writing, imo, than the other celebrity memoirs I listened to this year (As You Wish, and Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?), both of which were fun to listen to for their content and simple (therefore easy to read or listen to) writing, though the writing itself was just serviceable. And thinking about it, I'm not sure what it is about Steve Martin's writing that is better than that of the other two, so maybe it's not the writing at all, but his insights. I'm not sure. Maybe I'll try to determine that next time I listen.

I also finished The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories, which included, imo, a couple of two-star stories (which were very short anyway) but mostly threes and a couple of fours. It was a fun read. And a local true crime book - Murder at the Roosevelt Hotel in Cedar Rapids, which was funny and interesting in parts, and a quick read with lots of photographs. Though I doubt this will be a hit nationwide, I was number 32 in line at the library when I put it on hold, which is rare for me. (I usually don't have to wait at all, or might only have to wait for whoever currently has a book to return it.) 

• Like 17

I was going to read Frankenstein last year, but the font size on my copy is just too small! So I was going to try checking it out from the library--same problem. I suppose I could get it for my kindle, but I probably don't have time to get it done this October anyway.

I finished the two I was working on, Roald Dahl's Ghost Stories and Kazuo Ishiguro's The Remains of the Day. I enjoyed both. It took me awhile to get into TRotD, but I think that is because I was usually reading only 10-15 minutes at a time. I didn't immediately pick up on the fact that the story is in the reminiscing, and that the little memories were all connected. I love Ishiguro's writing style--I could see similarities between this and The Buried Giant in how he voices his characters and approaches big ideas in a sideways kind of way. I think he could become an author that I seek out.

I picked up another spooky read at the library--Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes. It's a great October read as it takes place in October with "a storm coming" (we're on day 4 of stormy weather here). I also picked up the first Miss Julia book thanks to recommendations from here.

• Like 18

I know some of you have read The Passage.

I like it so far but I'm not sure I'm committed to reading about 700 pages.

Worth it or not??? :bigear:

I don't remember specific reasons, but I know the book was not worth it for me, especially since it is the first book in a trilogy, so really it's a commitment of almost 2,000 pages (unless you quit after book 1, like me).

• Like 13

I finished Ronald Pearsall's The Worm in the Bud: The World of Victorian Sexuality. A slow double-chunkster, as its 650 pages include copious notes. Also extra trouble to read, as I had to keep hiding the cover from people as I read it. Then I had to have a re-read of Stoker's Dracula, which, if Pearsall was interested in sexuality in Victorian literature (he isn't), would get its own chapter. Particularly the Lucy Westenra sections. Besides being described as "voluptuous" every time she appears, the scene where her fiance drives the stake through her virginal heart, blood spurting, while a bunch of other men look on, is straight out of Victorian pornography.

I've started Steinbeck's Cannery Row, which I'm trying but not quite managing to visualize without a really nice aquarium at the end of the street; and one of dh's Loeb classics, The Apostolic Fathers, which is only half as long when you don't read the Greek on the left-hand pages.

(Edited for catastrophic grammar failure)

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 18

There's a suffering 11 year old in this one :( Will let you know.

What did you think of The Mandibles ?

I thought it was very good. Chillingly believable.  More so in the second half, the "Recovery" period, than in the first part, even.  The economics was a bit of a slog to read through, but totally germane to the story. She did the characters extremely well.  It's funny, the sort of not with a bang but a whimper scenario of a book like this is somehow more disturbing  - maybe because it's so believable? - than some dystopias with more dramatic scenarios.

• Like 14

I finished Ronald Pearsall's The Worm in the Bud: The World of Victorian Sexuality. A slow double-chunkster, as its 650 pages include copious notes. Also extra trouble to read, as I had to keep hiding the cover from people as I read it. Then I had to have a re-read of Stoker's Dracula, which, if Pearsall was interested in sexuality in Victorian literature (he isn't), would get its own chapter. Particularly the Lucy Westenra sections. Besides being described as "voluptuous" every time she appears, when her fiance drives the stake through her virginal heart, blood spurting, while a bunch of other men look on, is a scene straight out of Victorian pornography.

I've started Steinbeck's Cannery Row, which I'm trying but not quite managing to visualize without a really nice aquarium at the end of the street; and one of dh's Loeb classics, The Apostolic Fathers, which is only half as long when you don't read the Greek on the left-hand pages.

I always thought Lucy's character was described in a surprisingly pornographic manner, even before seeing Coppola's movie version.

• Like 13

I finished Homegoing. I loved it though I felt the ending was a little flat. I get that there was symbolism there, but for such a sweeping multi-generational family saga I wanted more. I still would highly recommend it.

You all did it again. I started reading We Have Always Lived in the Castle. I've had it for a while but never read it. I was disappointed with The Haunting of Hill House when I read it a few years ago so I wasn't in a hurry to read another Shirley Jackson. I'll give this one a try though.

I started the final Last Policeman book, World of Trouble and am listening to A Morbid Taste for Bones (thanks to aggieamy). Other than that, nothing new. Still plugging along with my Plantaganet books, both fictional and non-fiction.

• Like 16

I just finished an entertaining contemporary romance ~ The Hating Game: A Novel by Sally Thorne.

"Debut author Sally Thorne bursts on the scene with a hilarious and sexy workplace comedy all about that thin, fine line between hate and love.

Nemesis (n.) 1) An opponent or rival whom a person cannot best or overcome.

2) A personĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s undoing

3) Joshua Templeman

Lucy Hutton and Joshua Templeman hate each other. Not dislike. Not begrudgingly tolerate. Hate. And they have no problem displaying their feelings through a series of ritualistic passive aggressive maneuvers as they sit across from each other, executive assistants to co-CEOs of a publishing company. Lucy canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t understand JoshuaĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s joyless, uptight, meticulous approach to his job. Joshua is clearly baffled by LucyĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s overly bright clothes, quirkiness, and Pollyanna attitude.

Now up for the same promotion, their battle of wills has come to a head and Lucy refuses to back down when their latest game could cost her her dream jobĂ¢â‚¬Â¦But the tension between Lucy and Joshua has also reached its boiling point, and Lucy is discovering that maybe she doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t hate Joshua. And maybe, he doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t hate her either. Or maybe this is just another game."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 13

Not unless you want to commit to reading the trilogy. It took me a couple times to really get into the story. once I did, enjoyed it. I read it twice, the 2nd time before reading The Twelve. If you aren't feeling it right now, try it again later. Think if you have the time and energy to put into it, you would enjoy. Lots of characters to keep track of.

• Like 13

I had a busy reading last week, mainly because I was near the end of several books or I picked short ones. I was racing to finish one of my reads so I could share it with you.

The books read last week:

• I Don't Want to Kill You by Dan Wells. Horror. John Cleaver knows a monster is stalking him. Can he find her before she kills anyone else? This is the weakest book of the trilogy. I wanted to finish the series because the protagonist was so interesting to me in the second book. I probably should have stopped there. Not recommended.
  • Geek Love by Katherine Dunn. Weird Fiction. A carny family, the children deliberately created through radiation and harmful drugs, travel across the United States. Ugh. I picked this up because it was on a top "weird fiction' list. The descriptions were interesting, but the scenes meandered and the secondary plot, running parallel to the first was unnecessary. Not recommended.
  • Life Among the Savages by Shirley Jackson. Memoir. A humorous and wry look at life with four children. Jackson's intelligence and humor shine in this novel. The Charles essay I linked to last week is here as well as others. What a beautiful voice. More about her later. Highly recommended.
  • Dark Matter by Blake Crouch. Sci-fi Thriller. A physics professor, after being attacked and drugged, wakes up to a life not his own and strangers who know his name. How far will he go to return to his wife and child? Crouch was an author interview on Sci-Fri Friday (PRI International) several weeks ago, which led to my interest in this book. I thought this would be a hard science book because, according to the author, it took him ten years to understand quantum mechanics before he could write this novel. I suspect it was a slight exaggeration. Most of the quantum physics comes in two multi-paragraph info-dumps that, based on my rudimentary knowledge, aren't far beyond Quantum Physics for Dummies. An enjoyable read nevertheless. Recommended.
  • The Fantasy Fiction Formula by Deborah Chester. Nonfiction-Writing Craft. Written by a professional writing teacher and published author, the book is a walk through on writing fantasy novels, with a clear focus on structure and why it's needed. Every action should have a reaction. Every scene (important events) should have sequel (character processing the scene). The elements needed for interesting characters. Why novices should make description paragraphs only three sentences long before adding something else. She makes it clear the "rules" can be broken, but a writer needs to master the craft of creating novels before coloring outside the lines. Highly recommended.
  • The Quantum World: Quantum Physics for Everyone by Kenneth W. Ford. Nonfiction-Science. The basics of quantum physics. Every few years, I get the urge to read up on quantum physics, thinking this time, surely, I'll understand the basics. Nope. But this was a much easier read than books I've attempted before. Recommended.
  • We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson. Horror. A young girl protects her sister from outsiders. I can't reveal much else other than I absolutely loved this book. I've read Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House and The Lottery. This novel has less supernatural, but more sly wit and delicious evil (a mash up of Stacia's term). Highly recommended.
  • Shirley Jackson: A Rather Haunted Life by Ruth Franklin. Biography. This is the book I was racing to read to share with you. It's organized by her defining stories, with insights from her children, friends, co-workers, and correspondence. A major theme throughout the biography is the incredulous response that a "housewife" could write such disturbing and insightful stories. Many wanted her to be the funny, self-deprecating mother of four shown in her memoirs OR the scary writer of thrilling horror. I think Jackson's response was: why not both? This was a wonderful insight into a complex woman, struggling to define her place in her home and profession. I absolutely loved it, and I highly recommend everyone read it.

I'm finishing up the The Secret History of the Mongol Queens and I've started Peter Straub's Ghost Story, which isn't working for me in the first few chapters.

I'm looking for some good science books. Any recommendations?

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 16

I think The Passage has a satisfying, self-contained arc, but my tastes tend to run towards thriller or action/adventure fiction. There's still uncertainty about the future, but there's a culminating event for the book itself. 

I enjoyed his other, non-The Passage books. My husband liked The Summer Guest and I preferred Mary and O'Neal.

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 10

I really enjoyed the book overall but found the California section hard going and considered stopping there. After that I had a marathon read. That being said if you aren't liking it stop!

I feel quite a bit of pressure to read the rest of the trilogy right now and pressure is not a good thing in my life. The Twelve stares back at me with 40 pages read a week ago every time I turn my kindle on. I have it on hold on two other library cards so I can keep checking it out until I can find it within myself to read it. I just sent City of Mirrors back but put it on a long holds list.

Quote from ErinE....

We Have Always Lived in the Castle[/url] by Shirley Jackson. Horror. A young girl protects her sister from outsiders. I can't reveal much else other than I absolutely loved this book. I've read Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House, but this novel has less supernatural, but more sly wit and delicious evil (a mash up of Stacia's term). Highly recommended.

Thanks for the comparison between the Haunting of Hill House and We have always lived in a Castle. I had been considering looking at Hill House because I can get it easily and all this Shirley Jackson enthusiasm was making me curious. I will wait.....

Crooked but no longer hurts. I can breath and smooch with hubby without any problem. :). No Eskimo kisses though. :0

Glad the nose is recovering!

• Like 14

I read Double Indemnity last night, my 200th book of the year, so I've reached my goal.   

You read very fast. 

I also started Neufeld's Hold On to Your Kids.

Best parenting book ever. 

So this is what a free Sunday afternoon feels like! Ahhhh! I've spent the last 4 hours lounging, reading and internet surfing (and cat napping) to my heart's content. 

I had a free Sunday late afternoon/evening. I spent it watching the first disc of Hamlet (Kenneth Branagh version). Do I feel guilty for watching TV instead of reading? Not when it's Shakespeare. First time seeing this version and I like it. It's fun comparing it the David Tennant version. I have a better understanding of Ophelia each time time I watch the play. 

• Like 14

I fear that I may be tossed out of the BaW thread for non-participation in the great discussions. 

Thank you again for your concern regarding Hurricane Matthew.  Our house had no damage.  Arrangements had been made to have the yard cleaned up before our return so we did not have to deal with that.  What is a bit shocking though is the condition of our beach where the dune line has been decimated.

Last year my husband and I had our first adventure with a small boat company that does activity filled weeks, giving us the opportunity to explore places from the water that one might normally not see. In this case, we had the chance to go to some of the San Juan Islands that are challenging to reach.  Some have ferries but others are only accessed via boat or plane (sea plane in some cases). 

Here are two photos that sum up the week of kayaking and hiking:

30371496005_b6796bb90c.jpg

30074830650_333c4f15ec.jpg

Everyone hoped to see an Orca but no luck. Here however are basking Stellar Sea Lions (larger than the California variety), one of which is bloody--probably from an Orca bite.

30076160830_396dd12165.jpg

There were about 45 passengers on the boat.  Only four of us were sufficiently crazy to snorkel one morning in a protected cove.  In the chilly waters of the Pacific Northwest, this required us to don heavy wetsuits, booties, hoods.  Amazing experience to see the anemones, a thousand sea stars, fish swimming in the bull kelp.  We also did a night kayak, our paddles agitating the bioluminscent critters.

My husband has yet to upload all of his photos so I may post a few more later in the week.

• Like 25

Kraken: The Curious, Exciting, and Slightly Disturbing Science of Squid is one I've read that was recommended on these threads. I found it clear, easy to read, entertaining and unceasingly interesting. 

Sounds like you had a great trip, Jane! Thanks for posting the photos!

Edited by crstarlette
  • Like 12

I had a busy reading last week, mainly because I was near the end of several books or I picked short ones. I was racing to finish one of my reads so I could share it with you.

The books read last week:

• I Don't Want to Kill You by Dan Wells. Horror. John Cleaver knows a monster is stalking him. Can he find her before she kills anyone else? This is the weakest book of the trilogy. I wanted to finish the series because the protagonist was so interesting to me in the second book. I probably should have stopped there. Not recommended.
  • Geek Love by Katherine Dunn. Weird Fiction. A carny family, the children deliberately created through radiation and harmful drugs, travel across the United States. Ugh. I picked this up because it was on a top "weird fiction' list. The descriptions were interesting, but the scenes meandered and the secondary plot, running parallel to the first was unnecessary. Not recommended.
  • Life Among the Savages by Shirley Jackson. Memoir. A humorous and wry look at life with four children. Jackson's intelligence and humor shine in this novel. The Charles essay I linked to last week is here as well as others. What a beautiful voice. More about her later. Highly recommended.
  • Dark Matter by Blake Crouch. Sci-fi Thriller. A physics professor, after being attacked and drugged, wakes up to a life not his own and strangers who know his name. How far will he go to return to his wife and child? Crouch was an author interview on Sci-Fri Friday (PRI International) several weeks ago, which led to my interest in this book. I thought this would be a hard science book because, according to the author, it took him ten years to understand quantum mechanics before he could write this novel. I suspect it was a slight exaggeration. Most of the quantum physics comes in two multi-paragraph info-dumps that, based on my rudimentary knowledge, aren't far beyond Quantum Physics for Dummies. An enjoyable read nevertheless. Recommended.
  • The Fantasy Fiction Formula by Deborah Chester. Nonfiction-Writing Craft. Written by a professional writing teacher and published author, the book is a walk through on writing fantasy novels, with a clear focus on structure and why it's needed. Every action should have a reaction. Every scene (important events) should have sequel (character processing the scene). The elements needed for interesting characters. Why novices should should make description paragraphs only three sentences long before adding something else. She makes it clear the "rules" can be broken, but a writer needs to master the craft of creating novels before coloring outside the lines. Highly recommended.
  • The Quantum World: Quantum Physics for Everyone by Kenneth W. Ford. Nonfiction-Science. The basics of quantum physics. Every few years, I get the urge to read up on quantum physics, thinking this time, surely, I'll understand the basics. Nope. But this was a much easier read than books I've attempted before. Recommended.
  • We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson. Horror. A young girl protects her sister from outsiders. I can't reveal much else other than I absolutely loved this book. I've read Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House and The Lottery. This novel has less supernatural, but more sly wit and delicious evil (a mash up of Stacia's term). Highly recommended.
  • Shirley Jackson: A Rather Haunted Life by Ruth Franklin. Biography. This is the book I was racing to read to share with you. It's organized by her defining stories, with insights from her children, friends, co-workers, and correspondence. A major theme throughout the biography is the incredulous response that a "housewife" could write such disturbing and insightful stories. Many wanted her to the funny, self-deprecating mother of four shown in her memoirs OR the scary writer of thrilling horror. I think Jackson's response was: why not both? This was a wonderful insight into a complex woman, struggling to define her place in her home and profession. I absolutely loved it, and I highly recommend everyone read it.

I'm finishing up the The Secret History of the Mongol Queens and I've started Peter Straub's Ghost Story, which isn't working for me in the first few chapters.

Ok, so your post made me remove two books, and add two books to my TR list.  So we're even.  ;)

Any particular field of science you're looking for?  I could push a lot of recs from the biology/ecology/Enviro science side of things . . .

Some favorites:

The Forest Unseen: A Year's Watch in Nature

A Sand County Almanac

Spillover: Animal Infections and the Next Human Pandemic (David Quammen is a favorite science writer, everything I've read by him is good)

Why Evolution is True

The Sixth Extintion

Why Big Fierce Animals Are Rare: An Ecologist's Perspective

The Beak of the Finch

• Like 15

Ok, so your post made me remove two books, and add two books to my TR list.  So we're even.  ;)

Any particular field of science you're looking for?  I could push a lot of recs from the biology/ecology/Enviro science side of things . . .

Some favorites:

The Forest Unseen: A Year's Watch in Nature

A Sand County Almanac

Spillover: Animal Infections and the Next Human Pandemic (David Quammen is a favorite science writer, everything I've read by him is good)

Why Evolution is True

The Sixth Extintion

Why Big Fierce Animals Are Rare: An Ecologist's Perspective

The Beak of the Finch

I had a feeling I'd hear from you  ;)

Thanks! These are perfect.

• Like 11

You read very fast. 

I do read fast, but I also read instead of socializing, when I can't sleep, etc.   :001_rolleyes: Also I read a ton of plays this year and more than a usual number of YA books - reading things dd suggested or that I wanted to preview. And I listen to a lot of audiobooks while driving, so it's not all traditional "reading."  But I'm actually kind of serious when I say I think I read too much. I probably should make more of an effort to socialize with humans outside of my own family.  Or you guys.  ;)  :D

• Like 15

Kraken: The Curious, Exciting, and Slightly Disturbing Science of Squid is one I've read that was recommended on these threads. I found it clear, easy to read, entertaining and unceasingly interesting. 

Thank you! Earlier this year, I searched for books at my local library on cephalopods, but no good books appeared, probably the wrong search terms. I ended up reading several research papers on octopus nerve systems, chromatophores, and hemocyanin. I just searched for this book and there it was. It's on hold now. 

• Like 10

By the way, "The Durrells in Corfu" starts tonight on PBS. I have high hopes that it is as delightful as the Gerald Durrell's My Family and Other Animals.  I believe it is on right before Poldark, meaning I have an excuse to stay glued to the couch for a few more hours tonight!

For some reason I spaced out and forgot it was broadcasting last night at 8, when the kid and I were watching BBC's 4 part "Emma".  So hubs found and streamed the first, what, hour? of the ITV series that I will bet PBS/Masterpiece is cribbing.  DD was a bit shocked by how messed up the family was...in our reading of My Family and Other Animals, it really downplayed that part...made them seem just like a family of  British eccentrics (in the best way, that is, with booze and guns, xenophobia, and joie de vivre).  And so I am wondering if anyone local (mumto2?) can comment if the PBS version is sanitized?  I will have my chance to stream it tonight, surely...but I simply told dd that the sex/drugs/rock and roll is LOADS more interesting to most viewers than the flora and fauna and Gerald's child-directed education on Corfu, which is of course what she remembers from the book :)

ETA:  forgot to say, nice pics Jane!

Edited by fastweedpuller
  • Like 12

...My husband has yet to upload all of his photos so I may post a few more later in the week.

I look forward to seeing more pictures.  Glad you had a wonderful time, Jane.

Crooked but no longer hurts. I can breath and smooch with hubby without any problem. :). No Eskimo kisses though. :0

Ah, now your nose has character.  I hope that Eskimo kisses are in your future after more healing.

I have exceeded my library hold requests...

My husband used to joke that he was happy I maxed out library cards rather than credit cards; I was known to max out my, his, and our daughter's card.  My current library has no library hold request limit so far as I can tell; I currently have 102 items on hold.  It does, however, have a Saved Searches limit of 100; I have 96 such searches saved on my card and 99 on his.  I may need to start working on my daughter's card again ....

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 12

The PBS version didn't seem sanitized, and as a grown up watching it, and knowing a little more about the family outside of Gerald's books, it does make for a more interesting show. But I have to admit, it took me a while to get over the surprise that it is NOT an adaptation of My Family and Other Animals!  The title should have tipped me off - it is The Durrells in Corfu after all, so the whole family, warts and all, is featured.  

BTW, apparently Lawrence didn't live with the family during their time in Corfu. He had his own place and was married or co-habitating, but having him under the family roof does make for more entertaining story lines.

• Like 13

Here are two photos that sum up the week of kayaking and hiking:

Jane, I love the photos! Thank you for sharing. I'm hoping to see more when you get a chance.

Welp, I'm exhausted this morning and it's BaW's fault.  ;) I could not stop reading We Have Always Lived In the Castle, which I started yesterday morning. Between other duties, a DH who left town yesterday, and my tendency to read slowly and re-read passages I like several times, I didn't finish until 2:00 am. I really loved this work, and it was, to my view, a perfectly crafted piece of fiction. The details, the tension, and the confusion all worked together. I could not find an extra sentence or piece of information that didn't fit seamlessly into the picture painted by Jackson. I was already thinking it was surprising I hadn't read it sooner, as The Lottery is one of my favorite pieces for the same reasons: a certain tautness and Jackson's ability to paint a detailed picture without making you think she's included too much detail. Certainly she includes a lot, but it never feels like it because it's so interesting to take it all in and the pieces fit so well.

• Like 16

For some reason I spaced out and forgot it was broadcasting last night at 8, when the kid and I were watching BBC's 4 part "Emma". So hubs found and streamed the first, what, hour? of the ITV series that I will bet PBS/Masterpiece is cribbing. DD was a bit shocked by how messed up the family was...in our reading of My Family and Other Animals, it really downplayed that part...made them seem just like a family of British eccentrics (in the best way, that is, with booze and guns, xenophobia, and joie de vivre). And so I am wondering if anyone local (mumto2?) can comment if the PBS version is sanitized? I will have my chance to stream it tonight, surely...but I simply told dd that the sex/drugs/rock and roll is LOADS more interesting to most viewers than the flora and fauna and Gerald's child-directed education on Corfu, which is of course what she remembers from the book :)

I am going to plead ignorance on that particular show but in general ITV is more sensational in their adaptations than BBC. I do think PBS just bought the series and are airing it as shown here. I looked up the time slot from when it was shown here and it's a bit transitional. It was shown Sunday night at 8. Huge competition for family friendly shows at 7 on Sundays.....think Dr. Who timeslot. The 8 o'clock hour tends to still be gentler....as in no nudity etc but could have swearing. Followed at 9 by crime shows, Poldark, Victoria, etc.

I am going to be honest and say the show wasn't popular like Grantchester or Poldark here. I couldn't miss the fact that those shows were on if I wanted to. All my friends talk about those. Somehow I missed the Durrell's completely.

British view on eccentric is quite affectionate. I had a great time listening to a talk given by a local son of a Baron last week. He is next in line I think. His ancestor basically spent the family's entire huge fortune being the Prince Regent's best buddy back in Victoria's day. He was killed in the war. The talk was to a large degree centered on what an incredible time the guy had. Lavish costume balls etc. He brought the costume from a jubilee ball...amazing to look at but weighed pounds and it was lined with a burlap like fabric. No resentment even though the speaker works really hard to keep what is left of the estate. He was actively pitching the facilities for conferences and weddings he has created. Garden tours. The no real resentment part surprised me. He was lovely, totally dreamy, completely charmed the ladies one and all. Believe my group booked tea at his house next summer. He promised a personal tour and we all plan to be there. He told me to call him by his first name. Swoon........

Not sure if any of my ramblings answer your questions, I tried. ;)

• Like 14

Hi!  I have been giving that "natural theology" book a fair shake, but I'm not surprised to say it's slow-going.  I needed another book to switch off with, so I don't give up reading all together.

So I found this book someone gave me last Spring, called "The Brave."  Modern fiction, a much quicker read.  :P  I started it yesterday.  It's OK so far.

My kids' book club is doing "Holes" next, which my youngest read years ago, and I read decades ago.  We'll probably still listen to the audiobook for the sake of my eldest, but it's still on order.  So in the meantime, we're doing Pinocchio.  Why not?

My kids took Little Women to school and haven't brought it back home so we could start on Book Two.  So I'm filling in with some stories in a book called The Kashmiri Storyteller. 

So you could say we are reverting to our younger selves for a week or two.  :P

• Like 16

I had a great time listening to a talk given by a local son of a Baron last week. He is next in line I think. His ancestor basically spent the family's entire huge fortune being the Prince Regent's best buddy back in Victoria's day. He was killed in the war. The talk was to a large degree centered on what an incredible time the guy had. Lavish costume balls etc. He brought the costume from a jubilee ball...amazing to look at but weighed pounds and it was lined with a burlap like fabric. No resentment even though the speaker works really hard to keep what is left of the estate. He was actively pitching the facilities for conferences and weddings he has created. Garden tours. The no real resentment part surprised me. He was lovely, totally dreamy, completely charmed the ladies one and all. Believe my group booked tea at his house next summer. He promised a personal tour and we all plan to be there. He told me to call him by his first name. Swoon........

Not sure if any of my ramblings answer your questions, I tried. ;)

Since you are on a first name basis...shall we book a BaW conference there?

• Like 14

My husband used to joke that he was happy I maxed out library cards rather than credit cards; I was known to max out my, his, and our daughter's card.  My current library has no library hold request limit so far as I can tell; I currently have 102 items on hold.  It does, however, have a Saved Searches limit of 100; I have 96 such searches saved on my card and 99 on his.  I may need to start working on my daughter's card again ....

Regards,

Kareni

Similar story here.  I hold 3 cards, mine and both dds.  They each have a 20 hold limit, and it's quite easy for me to have 60 books on hold at a time. The girls put things on hold too. We can have 90 books out at a time (30 per card) and that has been known to happen, too. 

• Like 14