Menu

PSAT (short) rant: They took the test on bleacher benches!

I am amazed. The students *sat* on one bleacher and used the next bleacher up for a desk/writing surface? I can't believe the school wouldn't provide a suitable desk/table top? It was in the gym for the first time this year (last year library, this year they gave it (they said) to the whole junior class). Do many schools do this? There were approx 300+ kids taking the test.

WHen my dtr asked for the homeschool code: The proctor said that "we have decided not to do the homeschool code this year; everyone, including homeschoolers, just put the regular highschool code and we'll send it to your parents when the tests come back". (Last year, I gave it to my girls in advance (I think) and then the proctor had it and gave it to them as well. My dtr asked last year and the proctor immediately gave it to her.)

Ok, I am not happy. LMK if you agree with me or think it is all no big deal. Btw, my dtr has ADD and like many students I am sure, would have done better at a regular test/desk. It would seem to me that the district would have provided the best test environment possible.

Ok, I am going to talk to the counselor/school district, so let me know beforehand if I am offbase on these 2 concerns? One, the homeschool code and 2, the bleacher/bench as tabletop?

I am feeling that my "rights" were violated in terms of them not giving my students the homeschool code? (I'm expecting the district to insinuate that I have no "rights".)

Lisaj (and I should add that for my students, we were not expecting NMSQT high scores, it is the principle and the treatment issue)

I would NOT be happy.

The school has absolutely no right to your child's test information. They do not have the right to have your child's test diverted to their office first. I would pitch a fit about this one.

I would also not be happy about the bleachers. I'd put my energy into protesting the lack of homeschooling code though.

I would NOT be happy.

The school has absolutely no right to your child's test information. They do not have the right to have your child's test diverted to their office first. I would pitch a fit about this one.

I would also not be happy about the bleachers. I'd put my energy into protesting the lack of homeschooling code though.

:iagree:

I don't blame you on either count. I would probably walk in and just plainly state that I would like them to put the homeschool code on my student's test. Like I wouldn't put myself in the position of asking, but of telling.

And, I don't know if you have your state's hs code, but someone had them on here on one of the threads yesterday, or so. Anyway, you could have it with you. I'd go in tomorrow and see if they've already sent the things in.

On the issue of the bleachers. That's just ridiculous. Now, they could end up trying to use that against you and somehow worm around to the idea that "there are so many students and we 'let' you homeschoolers come and join us, you can't very well be complaining about how we administer or what kind of room we have." To this, I say that it is their responsibility to make those judgments ahead, and if they say they have room and welcome the additional students coming in, then it's up to them to provide proper testing conditions. If they can't do that, they don't need to allow the homeschoolers in in the first place.

So, what I'm saying is, just have these things in mind, and be ready with that thought, but basically just bring up that you were "disappointed" with the testing conditions and would like to have known what they were going to be beforehand.

sorry if I went on too long......these kinds of things bug me

:glare:

I agree with strider. As far as what coopers5 is saying, I'd add two things. First, while you are a taxpayer, the school only has to deal with your child one day *this* year; suitable testing environments are not too much to ask. Second, as much effort as they put into testing accommodations for kids with 504s or IEPs, they darn well know that placing a child in an unusual situation like that has the potential to skew, or even invalidate, test results. That is absolutely unacceptable, and I'd be calling College Board as well, to report the problem.

The homeschool code, however, is another issue. The school has no actual obligation to provide the homeschool code for you - they're doing the test primarily for *their* students.

Many homeschoolers have run into situations in which the proctors are not even aware that there *is* a homeschool code.

I'm so sorry to hear that your students had such a terrible testing experience and I would definitely protest them!!

Anne

I was very polite because I think that is approriate, esp with the initial inquiry.

And just to clarify - *all* the students had the same seating arrangement.

The counselor seemed to be new at the PSAT test implementation.

She told me she would put the homeschool code on my dtrs' tests if I would get it for her. She called back to see if I had it yet (I was at dr's office in town both times) and then I explained that I would get it - but I thought it was provided in the test facilitator's packet. She asked someone if it was - and was told that yes the school did have the homeschool code in that packet. I explained how the test proctor had provided it last year (and that we had brought it in last year). She seemed surprised that I minded the school's code and willing to change it when I asked.

I asked about the bleachers (they used the next bleacher up as their "desktop") and she said she agreed with me and it wasn't optimum but it was good enough and it was the best they could do.) I may pursue this further because frankly I think it speaks very poorly for the district's provision and even, for their educational standards.

Someone didn't put forth a whole lot of effort As a homeschool mom of 5 kids *I* could find enough tables and chairs to accomodate 500 the students. A few phone calls and maybe a few hundred dollars (tho I really doubt that they couldn't find those tables/chairs at the district's schools for 4 hours use at the high school).

Ok, thanks for understanding and giving your opinions. I was glad to hear that I wasn't alone. (And truly, the bleacher seats/tables was my biggest gripe.)

Thanks again!

Lisa

Actually, the directions for the proctors (see previous link) on this issue are quite specific.

Students from other schools and

homeschooled students

If you test students from other schools, please:

• Make sure you have suffi cient answer sheets and test

books for that test day, as no other test may be used.

• Be prepared with their school’s six-digit code number.

You will need it to complete the Supervisor’s Report.

• Check their identifi cation (preferably a photo ID).

• Instruct them to enter their own school’s six-digit code

number, or the homeschool code number, in answer

sheet Section 6a. (A list of state homeschool codes is on

page 31.)

• Complete Section 4 of the Supervisor’s Report. Submit

fees and answer sheets for all students tested.

• Mail their test book to their school (or home) in December.(Bold mine)

On page 5 of that document is a list of specific requirement for the testing environment. Total violation here as well.

Ok, thanks for understanding and giving your opinions. I was glad to hear that I wasn't alone. (And truly, the bleacher seats/tables was my biggest gripe.)

I was livid this morning when I heard the construction workers cutting wood outside my DS' window where he was taking the PSAT, but I would have been fit-to-be-tied if he had had to sit on bleachers using the one up as his table. That is totally unacceptable. And I would contact college board over that one for no other reason then for them to be able to let the school know that that is not how to do it.

Also please let your local hs community know. I will be letting my local hs'ing friends know about what happened to my ds this morning and will seek a different private school when DS#2 is ready to take the psat.

Yikes. Bleachers? Perhaps a picture for the newpaper would work some changes if the school really doesn't see it as an issue.

Having read both threads on the PSAT today, it's a sad state of affairs when the proctor after proctor makes these glaring test administration errors. I read through the instructions last night after readwithem posted them and it's just not that difficult. And this isn't their first rodeo. I can only imagine the calls that must come into College Board after these exams.

Lisa

I think I'd complain.

My ds took it today. His school (public high school) gives it to everyone in 9th, 10th, and 11th. They give 12th grade the day off. So, everyone just reports to first period and takes the test in that class room. I think the kids who had PE 1st went to the "lecture hall", which is really a room as big as 3 classrooms which desks and tables are brought in an out or as needed. Since everyone in the school was taking the exam and there were no seniors, the library and cafeteria and a quite a few classrooms were available, as testing areas.

From the instructions, p. 11:

If you are testing a student who is

homeschooled, fill in your state’s homeschool code in the

box below (see list on page 31), then say,

The code for a homeschooled student in this

state is _ _ _ _ _ _. Enter the code in Section 6a. In

6b, print the state where you live and the word

“homeschool†on the line for “School Name.†In

6c, fill in the “No†oval and give the name, city,

and state of this school. . . .

They are supposed to issue the code, from their list, although I've always figured it was *my* responsibility to ensure that my student, who is a guest at their facility, comes prepared with the code s/he will need. Apparently the CB, considers it the school's responsibility.

!!

I suspect that they saw the homeschoolers averaged higher than their school last year so they decided to mix them in this year to simplify things knowing it wouldn't hurt their average. That wouldn't matter to me. The bleacher setup is unacceptable and I'd complain so it doesn't happen next year.

Here are my three less than wonderful experiences with using public school testing:

First time, in a NW Chicago suburb, they never gave me my son's results, just a terse email, "They are not in our possession" and never apologized for losing them or whatever they did with them. Quite annoying after several days of drop offs and pickups at the school to take the tests.

Last week, here in Michigan, in trying to qualify for a dual enrollment class at a community college, my son took the COMPASS placement test, and while they passed out the results of the computerized test immediately to all the kids over age 16, they refused to give us my son's results because that's their policy for the under 16's. Later when I phoned in they said he needs to take the math section again. No exact scores; no info. on how he did in language arts.

Now, this week, my 6th grader is taking the MEAP tests which are the tests the public schools all use in Mich. The first math section has computational type math problems that one can't do in one's head because they're rather large. My daughter asked if she could do figuring on scratch paper. The proctor said no. She could not do the work in her head so she guessed on about 8 problems. She found out afterwards that she was allowed to do the figuring in the test booklet. Nobody had told her she could write in the test booklet! She had assumed she had to leave them pristine because that's what we have to do with the IOWA's we've done at home. I can't believe the proctor didn't tell her she could write in her book after she asked to use scratch paper.

Their testing arrangement was horrible. A little bit of switching things up, and every student could have had a seat in a classroom. Only every other school in the country manages, sheesh.

Can they be reported?

As for the homeschool code, I'm glad they would put that on for your dd. Honestly, I wouldn't expect the school to have that information, even if they had it available to them. My daughter memorized the code before she went. But I definitely don't think the school should get the results first and pass them on (as a practice). They aren't the ones managing her education!

When I was in high school, the whole sophomore class took the PACT, we di not have to take the test in the gym. We had a graduating class of 5-600 kids. They offered a choice of Saturdays and used several classrooms. I can think of NO reason fro taking the test in gym and using bleachers.

You (and/or your spouse) are the head of your daughter's school and absolutely should get the test back before some other school does. I think that it should be your job to find/know the homeschool code to give to your daughter. I don't think the adminsters of the test should be expected to know that.