Menu

Educating and ENJOYING life offline

I'm not even going to discuss the specifics of the current chaos in my life that makes dead body smell at the bottom of my list of concerns. If I were merely an observer I'd assume the person was lying and/or somehow at fault. Maybe I am and am just in denial. Whatever. Moving on the dealing with this. How it got to this is not the important part anymore. Moving on is.

I'm about to be offline except for hotspots and often without a keyboard and just a Kindle Fire. No cell phone.

Hey, we all used the live like that or with less. Yup the world is different now, but...who cares. I want to feel as blessed and abundant about this as people did in the past.

I'm not the only one to get suddenly thrown offline.

So here is your challenge. You have one week to prepare. Online will only be at hotspots. What are you going to do? Not just to try and maintain your old lifestyle and feeling like you have less, but to instead do something different and thrive?

Have you ever wanted to do something, but didn't dare, that you would give yourself permission now? Have you been lazy, and think this would give you a push? Just in a rut and need a push out?

Could you make this awesome? Be a Pollyana? Or could you only weather it?

• Like 5

So here is your challenge. You have one week to prepare. Online will only be at hotspots. What are you going to do? Not just to try and maintain your old lifestyle and feeling like you have less, but to instead do something different and thrive?

Have you ever wanted to do something, but didn't dare, that you would give yourself permission now? Have you been lazy, and think this would give you a push? Just in a rut and need a push out?

Could you make this awesome? Be a Pollyana? Or could you only weather it?

We regularly have time off the grid with no electricity or internet. If we can be backpack, rock climb, hike, it's awesome.

If I had to be at home, assuming I were off work, I would: read books, go for walks, work on my poetry, singing, and photography. Maybe write a new song. Definitely cook yummy food and invite friends for a meal. Journal. 

And I'd get a lot of prep done for my job, assuming I can use a computer.

I cannot think of anything I wanted to do but did not dare; I love trying out new stuff.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 4

I reorganized my desk. Tech not only doesn't take center stage, but is not even on it. I'm spreading out some art supplies.

I did Artist's Way morning pages this morning. I have never finished the book. I really want to.

I pulled out some spiritual stuff that got cast aside. I'm not saying what. :lol:

I still have Amazon Prime. You can download Prime movies, but I'm not sure how long they play for without being able to connect to a signal to confirm subscription or whatever it is.

I have a 3G Paperwhite Kindle. I had a 30 day free unlimited subscription and let it overrun for a couple weeks. It is limited, not unlimited :lol: but I might keep that for the winter. Yup it is mostly classics and blue alien romance novels, but that blue alien series is funny. Really it is. I just finished it.

I have a couple books on hold at the library. I am super blessed about library right now. Yes, those books are likely to absorb odor and I'm picking them up anyway. I want to read them NOW, not later.

I went to a NanoWriMo workshop. I might do NanoWriMo. Sure I want to occasionally back up files online, but to the device and a card for a few days at a time should be enough.

I'm making something with chocolate tonight. I want chocolate. Dark. Lots of it.

• Like 3

I'd read books. That's all. I'd be happy about it, too. And I'd watch movies.

My online time is my relaxing time and I find books and movies/tv equally as relaxing as being online, so it wouldn't be a big deal.

Now--as far as getting in touch with people, I'd have to (gak) call them on the phone. Yuck. I'd hate that part.

• Like 3

Journaling. I even thought about doing NanoWriMo longhand. I was reading the intro to Laura Ingals Wilder's The First Four Years and she wrote it in several orange composition books.

The intro says it is different from the other books because it is mostly just a first draft. I think it might be interesting reading the book always remembering that it was handwritten.

• Like 1

I think I'm going to be down to 350 minutes of cell phone time as well as no data. And I don't have a buzzer. I need to save every minute for just meeting up with peoplein the lobby and checking messages. No phone chats for me.

Years ago, before I went online, I talked on the phone a lot more.

• Like 1

That sounds lovely.

I'd be checking out interesting nonfiction paper books from the library, like the book about Vermeer and the Nazis that I've been attempting to get around to reading for a few months. And sticking up on my favorite fiction authors, which I don't tend to do often because I don't like to read a chapter or two at a time. (After having a book sitting around for a couple of months, I finally binge read all 500 pages of it in two or three sittings last weekend. Can't do that often because of the small people who need my attention.)

I'd also be stocking up on knitting supplies. Without the distraction of the internet, I'd probably turn more to knitting.

I'd say I'd stock up on cookbooks and cooking ideas, but diet and budget constraints often make that hard. I did teach myself to make basic sushi a few weeks ago, and that was fun, although I used the internet a lot.

If I knew I'd only have internet periodically, I'd be keeping a list of questions, things to look up, movies and books I wanted, etc. in a notebook (paper or OneNote). Like grocery shopping is now, it would be a matter of planning ahead.

I'm the opposite. I didn't talk on the phone much before the internet. I still almost never talk on the phone now. Email/text/FB means I actually communicate with people that I wouldn't hear from otherwise. Without that, I'd probably just be even more of a hermit.

Sorry your life is in a rough spot, Hunter, but it's always good to see you!

Edited by happypamama
  • Like 2

As for educating kids without internet, that I could do. I hardly use it for them now. They use typing.com, and one does DuoLingo and online test prep with Khan Academy, and we use the occasional video/site, but none of those are crucial. Most of our books are paper. I could easily keep a paper list of library books or links to peruse or books to download periodically instead of doing it as the mood strikes.

• Like 2

I went to a NanoWriMo workshop. I might do NanoWriMo. Sure I want to occasionally back up files online, but to the device and a card for a few days at a time should be enough.

Last year they had a method of validating your word count if you wrote longhand, so that would be okay. Or you could just write, and validate periodically when you wanted to. 

Periodically I have taken a month or more breaks from internet access. It's usually a very productive time for me. I listen to a lot of music, and spend a lot more time just listening to radio. I'm not much of a television watcher, but I typically rent movies (I can also rent music!) from the library and watch those now and again. Mostly I spend my time reading, writing, cooking and just sitting around and being. I find it relaxing and refreshing in many ways. And I usually draw and paint more, too. :001_smile:

I'm used to no cell phone. I barely get texts where I am, and I actually still have a land line, so no cell phone for me isn't a bother at all.

ETA: Due to pretty awful internet, I don't use it to educate at all. We are book and paper folks at my place for the most part.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 2

I would tackle my book list with more consistency, make soap, and accomplish far more on my knitting projects!

I intentionally go offline for a week at a time when I find it becoming too much of a distraction. When I do my house is in better condition, I cook more and I engage with my kids better as well.

• Like 3

I found this article about downloading Prime videos and it says they dont need confirmation for awhile. Maybe the one that times out on me in just a few hours was a glitch.

http://www.howtogeek.com/229466/how-to-download-amazon-prime-movies-and-tv-shows-for-offline-watching/

I think Hoopla movies might be able to be downloaded. One of my library cards has a hoopla subscription for 10 movies a month.

Knitting. I definitely want a handcraft.

And more music and audio books.

Handcrafts combined with music and audiobooks is a nice combination.

I'll have to search the Nano forum for posts about handwritten novels.

Definitely I need lists to make online time efficient. My morning pages are more lists and problem solving than spilling emotions. I color code my morning pages. Things circled in blue are comunication errands. Those that have studied tarot will know why. :D

• Like 2

I would do more of our favorite offline activities: reading, knitting, cooking/baking, jigsaw puzzles (while listening to audiobooks), board games.

I would read the newspaper each morning, work through the backlog of Smithsonian and National Geographic magazines, and make time to visit friends in person. Call my mom a lot more. Work through the language course I have.

I do use the internet a lot for school, but if I limited internet to just those activities, it would be good for me to do this for a month.

• Like 2

Newspapers. I'm looking at my options. I can read at the library, but im wondering if there is a nearby place with day old papers that you can take. I only know of some places further away.

I just had some awesome luck downloading video and music.

Awhile back I bought a copy of a one-volume year 2000 columbia encyclopedia. Im so glad I did that!

I destroy books, but books are great offline. I think the trick for me is to buy the cheapest nastiest reference books I can find. And then just throw them away when life happens.

• Like 1

I would love this. It would feel like the 80s again. I am the only person I know IRL that doesn't really like technology. I like this forum for all the advice, wisdom, sympathy, and book/resource suggestions. I have a Pinterest account that I like because I'm not very creative so I get to execute the great ideas of others that I never would have thought of. But that's it. No Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or anything else that's out there.

I would pick up where I left off as a preteen with learning to play piano. I would learn a foreign language. I already have all the books needed to learn Spanish but I think I'd rather learn French.

I'd use snail mail more. I'd send handmade cards so family and friends would know I still care even though I'm not emailing or texting much.

I'd probably have the local evening newscast on while I cooked dinner. Just enough news to stay in touch with the outside world but not so much that I'd be drained by the political slant or other liberties the media utilizes. Prepping dinner would be a buffer so it didn't become overwhelmingly sad hearing how messed up this world is.

I'd probably still rent a movie from Redbox or the library every Friday night. We really love our movie night. We are very intentional about taking that break every week. If dh is invited to play pool or we are invited out to dinner for a Friday, we always say, "we have plans." And watching a movie means we aren't talking about the future, the kids, finances, dh's health, homeschooling or anything else.

• Like 4

Knitting is a great handcraft because if you mess up a stitch, it's no big deal. You just take it out and redo it. All you're out is some time, not fabric or paint or whatever. And it's portable, and you can get started with just a few basic items. I like to knit in the car while DH drives or while watching tv.

Edited by happypamama
  • Like 1

We live like this now, sort of, by choice. We have Internet. But I only use it a couple of times a day for email for 10 mins or so. I do Facebook every couple of days and wtm once or twice/ week. I would miss Netflix, but would go back to my old standby of downloading podcasts to listen to offline. Until the last month or two, we always had a radio on (in our new house we do stream radio, but that is a space issue.) We have a cell that just does talk and text, and are perfectly happy with that. It is rarely with me. I like getting away from it all! Too many years tied to a pager. I mostly call people or email or text when I need something. I chat on the phone sometimes, but it would be rare to go over 500 minutes/month. The kids do all their stuff on paper. If we lost all tech, they would miss tv, then move on. Paper maps are critical. Seeing people IRL is hard in our fast moving world, so I pay close attention to my social needs and meeting them. I find my life is richer and happier with less tech, not more, so I intentionally limit it. I'm sorry things are not great right now for you. Your wisdom has really strengthened and supported me during some difficult times in the last couple of years, so thank you for all of that. You are so important to so many of us here.

• Like 2

I realized yesterday, that without a smart phone with Google maps, I need to carry a paper map sometimes.

Kindle newspaper subscriptions for morning delivery on the 3G paperwhite are expensive! I won't be doing that.

Before I (recently) got a smart phone, I used Google Offline Maps:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-use-google-maps-offline-on-ios-android/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.beholder.offlinemaps&hl=en

Yes, I am in a high rise.

There are gardens that can be signed up for about a mile away. I have thought about seeing what that costs.

Before I clicked on this thread this morning, I was thinking I want a house plant. Sweet potato plants grow fast and are easy to start, but I don't think I have enough sun.

Just ugh at all the paperwork and errands right now. It is a 3 day weekend and I'm not sure if I can appreciate the break after running flat out, and knowing I need to pick back up the pace again after the break.

Last night they foamed dead body apartment and are going to use ozone on Monday if that isn't good enough. Yeah! Maybe we are at least coming to the end of that particular crisis.

I have one of those magnetic poetry kits from two decades ago and would probably drag it out and have fun with it.

I might be tempted to go to the library and hand copy some of my favorite quotes and poems into a nice journal.  

Go for a walk in the woods or explore a part of my city I have not been to yet. 

Pack a lunch and go to a free museum (if one exists). 

Write letters to people I haven't seen in a long time because getting a letter is such a novelty anymore and usually much appreciated.

Find a classics author I have never read and strive to read several of his/her books.

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1

When dh and I went away for our 25th anniversary 2 months ago, we were without data where we were staying.  It was glorious.  We would go to a coffee shop that had free wifi and hang out for an hour to catch up.  Then we went about enjoying ourselves.  I think that I would probably live more efficiently and spend time more intentionally.  However, it would stink if I were sick and needed to be otherwise entertained. 

ETA:  What I would do with that time?  I don't know.  I think I would get more exercise because I would have to leave the house more.  But the "what I want to do" has been the nagging question that just depresses me as I try to figure out my third act.  In a holding position right now due to a kid with mental illness. 

Edited by dirty ethel rackham
  • Like 2

Ethel, holding positions are tough. This weekend has been a hold for me. People come up to me and ask, "So what are you doing about ... today?"

It is a long weekend. Everything is closed. I'm not doing anything about that. I can't do anything about that.

I made a list of things I can do something about. I made a list of ways to rest and refresh, so I'm as ready as I can be for situations where I can do something.

Learning to rest during the holds is critical. Learning to live fully during the rests is even better.

Laura Ingalls Wilder shows us the beauty of the simple everyday moments. When holding, sometimes that type of beauty is easier to see.

Yup, I'll switch back and forth quoting the Bible and tarot in the same thread. :lol: it is Bible this time. Jesus said something about letting tomorrow take care of itself. Today is enough.

If we can, sometimes, we need to just stop and take in a big lungs full of air.

• Like 2