Menu

Doctor Hive: ds can't hear anything due to ear infections

Suzanne in ABQ

My 18yods has infections in both ears, plus a sinus infection.  He's on antibiotics, plus prednisone.  It's been three days on the meds.  He has no pain, but he still can't hear anything except muffled noise and ringing in his ears.  The steroid didn't seem to do anything with the inflammation.  I'm guessing the antibiotic will work in time (it's a ten day course), but is there any way to clear his ears in the meantime?  He's going to class, but can't hear the professors or the other students when they talk to him.  It's making him crazy.

Did his eardrums rupture from the infection?

No.  They haven't ruptured.  They're completely filled with fluid, but not hurting.  

The doctor said they were very red and inflamed, as in, "Wow!  I have no idea how you hear anything!"  His hearing has only gotten worse since then.

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ

No. They haven't ruptured. They're completely filled with fluid, but now hurting.

The doctor said they were very red and inflamed, as in, "Wow! I have no idea how you hear anything!" His hearing has only gotten worse since then.

That stinks. I'm sorry. I just asked because my allergies caused me to have so much pressure in my ears my eardrums sucked inwards. I had to get tubes put in. I lost a significant amount of hearing prior to that. My hearing is much better now but i definitely know how he feels. Even with the tubes I still have problems sometimes. Hope he finds some relief. I would be back at the ENT in a day or two if it's not getting any better.

A decongestant might help.   You could also try lymphatic message.  There's a good series on youtube from a gal in Louisville Ky named Heather.  She has one specifically to drain your ears that I've done before.  It took me a couple of times to get it right,; but when I did  the relief was immediate.   Best wishes as you find a solution. 

ETA:     On a total side note:  it's so cool that two people on opposite coasts of the US were recommending the same thing at the same time :-)   Erica in OR and I had the same solution. 

Edited by Artichoke
  • Like 4

can he sit closer to the front of the classroom?   will the  professor allow him to audio record his lectures (make sure to explain this is temporary while the ears drain.)  then he can play them back at home at a higher volume.

if  the fluid  build up is infected - antibiotics might not even touch it. it has to be able to reach the infection.  serious decongestants.  plenty of water (lower salt and sugar as they will absorb water.), mucinex to thin secretions (thought it has also been known to dry me up.) .

granted 2ds was an infant - but he finally had to have tubes in his ears  just to get them to drain.

My husband had a nasty cold with a sinus infection a few weeks ago. The same thing happened to him, he couldn't hear anything! Unfortunate the meds really didn't help. He ended up going to the ENT, and they said it could take up to 3 months to clear. Luckily it was only about 2.5 weeks. Hope he feels better soon.

Sudafed during the day and Mucinex at night can help.  

Chiropractic can help if there is a misalignment that is exacerbating the drainage problem.  My ds started college this year and is having some back and shoulder problems from sitting in class such long periods each day.  

• Like 2

The problem with waiting months for this to resolve is that he just started at Full Sail University, doing their Recording Arts program.  He simply MUST be able to hear.  The program is accelerated, so all the classes are a month long.  Fortunately, his classes this month (Psychology, and Presentations) are not audio production classes.  He's doing okay in class by sitting close to the teacher and trying to read lips.  He did a presentation yesterday that involved playing his guitar.  He played, but couldn't hear a note.  They tell him he did great, but he couldn't even tell if his guitar was in tune.  He'll be finished with these classes in two weeks.  I think his next class will be Recording Principles, which will require acute hearing.  I don't know what he'll do if he can't hear.  Maybe they'll let him change the order of the courses, so he only has to take non-audio production classes until his hearing returns.

The psychological impact of this on him is almost unbearable.  This is a young man who sees his ears as the ticket to his future.  Not having use of them, especially when he finally has a chance to shine and really show what he can do with them, is excruciating for him.  I can't tell him that this may last months.  He already feels like jumping off a bridge.  That would send him over.  

I'm hoping the Sudafed and lymph drainage massage will help, and that the antibiotics will clear up the infection.  It would be hard to find him a chiropractor, since he's 2000 miles away, but I suppose the internet makes that possible.  

Okay, worried mom whine over.  

Thanks for your thoughts everyone.  

The problem with waiting months for this to resolve is that he just started at Full Sail University, doing their Recording Arts program. He simply MUST be able to hear. The program is accelerated, so all the classes are a month long. Fortunately, his classes this month (Psychology, and Presentations) are not audio production classes. He's doing okay in class by sitting close to the teacher and trying to read lips. He did a presentation yesterday that involved playing his guitar. He played, but couldn't hear a note. They tell him he did great, but he couldn't even tell if his guitar was in tune. He'll be finished with these classes in two weeks. I think his next class will be Recording Principles, which will require acute hearing. I don't know what he'll do if he can't hear. Maybe they'll let him change the order of the courses, so he only has to take non-audio production classes until his hearing returns.

The psychological impact of this on him is almost unbearable. This is a young man who sees his ears as the ticket to his future. Not having use of them, especially when he finally has a chance to shine and really show what he can do with them, is excruciating for him. I can't tell him that this may last months. He already feels like jumping off a bridge. That would send him over.

I'm hoping the Sudafed and lymph drainage massage will help, and that the antibiotics will clear up the infection. It would be hard to find him a chiropractor, since he's 2000 miles away, but I suppose the internet makes that possible.

Okay, worried mom whine over.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone.

I wonder if there's a hive member in Orlando that can recommend a Chiropractor for your ds. I am sure there are lots a chiropractors there.

• Like 1

Be very careful with sinus rinses or neti pots in his condition- the pressure from the water can actually cause the eardrums to rupture as clogged as he is. 

I wonder if there's a hive member in Orlando that can recommend a Chiropractor for your ds. I am sure there are lots a chiropractors there.

I can! This place is great and I recommend either Dr. Yeoman or Dr. Deal. http://orlandospineandjoint.com/our-practice/our-doctors/

Also, my husband teaches at Full Sail twice a week, not in that department though. Let me know if there is anything we can do. 

• Like 1

I can! This place is great and I recommend either Dr. Yeoman or Dr. Deal. http://orlandospineandjoint.com/our-practice/our-doctors/

Also, my husband teaches at Full Sail twice a week, not in that department though. Let me know if there is anything we can do. 

Awesome!  Thanks Katie,

I had found a chiropractor right around the corner from ds's apartment who says he treats ear infections (as opposed to others who emphasize injuries).  But, your recommended office is right near Trader Joes, so it may be worth driving a little further.

He got the real Sudafed, and we're gonna see if that does anything.  If he has no improvement by tomorrow, we'll start calling chiropractors.  

I really appreciate your chiro. recommendation and offer to help.  We know no one in the Orlando area, other than his roommate, but roommate is super busy with his own Full Sail program, so there's only so much he can do.  So far, ds is handling everything really well, but if something comes up that he can't handle, I may contact you.

Awesome!  Thanks Katie,

I had found a chiropractor right around the corner from ds's apartment who says he treats ear infections (as opposed to others who emphasize injuries).  But, your recommended office is right near Trader Joes, so it may be worth driving a little further.

He got the real Sudafed, and we're gonna see if that does anything.  If he has no improvement by tomorrow, we'll start calling chiropractors.  

I really appreciate your chiro. recommendation and offer to help.  We know no one in the Orlando area, other than his roommate, but roommate is super busy with his own Full Sail program, so there's only so much he can do.  So far, ds is handling everything really well, but if something comes up that he can't handle, I may contact you.

No problem! I saw that office for about a year and was very happy. They do they whole body, and don't push a zillion visits, etc the way some places do. Dr. Deal was a sports medicine guy, and he fixed my achilles heel pain in one session, and Dr. Yeoman was amazing on my back. He also actually made a housecall and adjusted my friend while she was in labor! (homebirth). 

And yum to Trader Joes. 

• Like 1

Awesome!  Thanks Katie,

With the real Sudafed, keep in mind that it can take some time to show improvement. Mine took up to a week of taking it, plus the lymph massage for a good release of pressure. Don't give it up if it doesn't seem to help the first day or two.

Erica in OR