Menu

Runners Unite! Here's your chance to check in...

Several of my fellow runners have said they'd appreciate a weekly check-in. I'm not sure if I'll get around to starting the thread weekly, or whether it will always come on the same day. So let's just call this Runners Unite! and try to touch base every week or two, 'k? Posts get buried here pretty quickly, so I guess if no one unites with me;), I'll bump this up a couple of times.

So let's start by sharing a bit about our running endeavours. Some of you may know that I started running about 2 1/2 years ago after having my fifth c-section, followed by a double abdominal hernia repair. I ran track back in the dark ages, when I was in school, but I was never particularly good at any event. You know that saying about someone having to come in last? Yeah. That was me more often than not.:o Then when I was single, in my early 20s, I ran on an irregular basis; I always felt like a turtle compared to my friends who were into it. My point is just this: I am definitely not a natural when it comes to running. I emphasize that because some people find running intimidating, but I am proof that it can be done!:)

After my surgeries, it took me months to even be able to walk comfortably again. As I gained more mobility, I wanted to have a plan to follow ~ something to stick with and a goal to achieve. I used a 5K program from the coolrunning.com site. I love their plans and highly recommend them to new runners. So many people (including myself) try to tackle too much from the very beginning. Running a few minutes, alternately with walking, may seem like baby steps, but it's exactly what I needed. I physically coudn't do any more than that when I started. It was really exciting for me, then, to do a 5K about ten weeks into the program. Yeah!

I've been committed to running since that time. Sometimes the weather makes it tough (I only run outside). Sometimes my husband's schedule makes it hard. I've had injuries and illness sideline me. But I aim to run five days each week. Definitely didn't happen last fall, but I'm back in the groove now. I'm doing 20-25 miles a week and will probably run a half marathon in April ~ same one I did last year. Also, my family pays a nominal sum to be part of a running club and there are races once a month or so. They're small and family friendly; again, good motivational tools. My 8 year old and I enjoyed doing a 5K race last Saturday (in the lovely, wet, Washington woods ~ I have a couple of pics on my photo blog, http://www.colleen365.blogspot.com). Oh, I'm editing this to add that I'm really psyched to see my race times improve of late! I used to post 5K times right around 28 minutes, or 9 minute miles. Recently, that's dropped down to sub-26 minute races. I am not out to run fast, per se, but it's encouraging to see those lower times!

Okay, your turn. This is your chance to bend the ears of other runners and share your stories. Jump on board!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started running 2 years ago at the age of 33. I have never exercised in my life. A friend is a runner and I thought, why not? I did the Couch to 5K program and 2 weeks after I finished that, I ran my first (and so far, only:rolleyes:) 5K.

Last winter it was really hard to get motivated and now I have not run in a while:( I am definitely getting back into it, as soon as there is no more ice on our roads;)

:D

I want so badly to be a runner, but I still struggle with enjoying it. I WANT to enjoy it.

Last summer, I ran (ran/walked) a 1/2 marathon. I was very ill prepared, although I did finish it. My knees hurts for months after that and I stopped running. :rolleyes:

Just 3 weeks ago I started working out again, although I'm not running yet. I'm doing weight training and spinning and right now, I'm just trying to make my body stronger and leaner.

My plan is start running outside as the weather warms up a bit. I HATE treadmill running so I don't want to start now. My ultimate goal is to run another 1/2 marathon, but to be better prepared this time and not hurt myself.

My story. Last August I had enough with feeling sorry for myself, my dd was almost 2 and I hated the way I looked. I found a running program in prevention that looked doable and dh I have to do this my way. Which meant getting up at 4A and getting my behind out that door and I did this morning after morning after morning and well 4 months last 30lbs lost and I could run 5-7miles. I've gotten lazy in these winter months but try to get at leat 3-5miles a day along with cross training and weight training. Goal right now run 10K this fall. I love running it feels so good to get inmy zone and finish my 1 hr or more. Some days I go house by house and cry but make myself do it because I know I feel so good when its over. I am down 2 sizes and feel great.

I've wanted to start running for some time now, but something always comes up, kwim? :o

I've never ran a day in my life and I'm a little older than most of you. I could stand to lose a few pounds and I just want to be healthy.

I am tentatively raising my hand. I actually have the Couch to 5K program printed out. And I own a pair of running shoes. Don't you think that's a good start? :D

OK, seriously, I'll pledge to do the first week of CT5K by next week at this time.

Please tell me about this Couch to 5K thing. I am not a runner. I was an avid cyclist back before kiddos, but don't really have a safe place to ride right now. I have gained weight and want to be more active. So, I am definately not a runner, but have dreams of it.

Thanks

Laurel

Here's a link.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Same here about having dreams of being a runner. It really looks fun to me! Now just to get my behind out the door.

I've never been a runner, except for what was required in various sports (mostly softball, but I dabbled in soccer and basketball, too). I'm not built like a runner, and often feel like Princess Fiona in Shrek trying to run. But I'm doing it.

I lost 85+ pounds in 2006 by eating less and moving more. I started by doing the Leslie Sansone 2 mile walk, and by October of last year I was doing her more intense workouts and hardly breaking a sweat. I'd been toying with the idea of running a 5K and I also really needed to increase my stamina for Judo matches and finally decided to get a treadmill. I started coolrunning's Cto5K program in the middle, then got sick and the holidays hit so I went back to videos. I restarted in January, and started week 6 this morning.

I ran for 20 minutes straight yesterday, which is a lifetime record for me, I think :D. I still don't know that I'm a runner, but I do enjoy pushing myself and it's a great workout, so I'll stick with it. I plan on running a 5K this spring or summer.

Last winter it was really hard to get motivated and now I have not run in a while:( I am definitely getting back into it, as soon as there is no more ice on our roads;)

Oddly enough, I find it harder to get motivated to run in the summer than I do in the winter. (Except when the northeaster is blowing, in which case running is on par with taking my life into my own hands. Same goes for the icy roads, like you said.:eek:) On warm summer days, I just want to loll about or work in my garden. And if the temp really rises, I wilt out there!

began running when I was 29. By the time we adopted our daughter when I was 31 I was in the best shape of my life. I had lost 80 pounds pretty much from running, which naturally led to healthier eating. I'm here to tell you you don't have to give birth to children for them to rob you of time and energy so, three adoptions later, and a few years later I seemed to be back to my old, unfit self. And no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get back into running. I was so winded, so quickly and I just thought that was the result of natural aging, weight gain, stress, etc. etc. Well In 2006 I decided to talk to my doctor, who very quickly diagnosed me with severe anemia, which resulted in an hysterectomy in the fall of 2006. Honestly, I felt better very quickly post-surgery. Surgery date was in September and by January I started exercising. In December of 2006 I began Weight Watchers and by the spring started running.

I love running and would like to continue to improve. We are having a huge winter here -- tonnes of snow and ice. I try to get out everyday but some days, even with my yak tracks, I am homebound which forces me on a treadmill. I have three dogs, two which love to run with me so that is motivating too.

I have lost 50 pounds thus far and would like to drop 30 this year to get me to my goal. I know running will help get me there. I want to model a healthy lifestyle for my children.

So I'd like to have some check-in accountability too. Count me in.

Rose

I want so badly to be a runner, but I still struggle with enjoying it. I WANT to enjoy it.

I struggle with enjoying it, too. Some people talk about the euphoria of running; ummm...no. That's not me. I'm usually looking at my watch five minutes into my run, urging the minutes to fly by faster. But I have reached a point where I do miss running if it's not part of my routine. Not just physically, but mentally. Running definitely helps me to clear my head.

My ultimate goal is to run another 1/2 marathon, but to be better prepared this time and not hurt myself.

I thought I was ready for the half marathon I ran last April, but apparently not. The week leading up to it was stressful, and within the first mile, honestly, I knew it wasn't going to be pretty.;) It's an absolutely gorgeous course (Whidbey Island Marathon and Half M) along the water, but it's hilly. And I wasn't running with anyone I knew. So I just slogged on and on. And on. And on. You know the feeling. I was a full half hour slower than I expected, but...oh, well. Hoping things go better this time around!

Unfortunately, I have not exercised since last August (and feeling it). I have an excited dread as I anticipate getting back into running. I'm excited, because I loooove the runners high. I dread trying to negotiate the workouts between nursing a newborn, weather and homeschooling. I hope to start again by mid-March...just in time to welcome spring.

I also need to do more weight training than I've done in the past. This will probably force me to cut back on my running time. I'll probably aim for 15 miles a week with lots of weight training in between.

I'll check back in, once I'm up and running.

to get my behind out in this Ohio weather.

Here is my story- I have always been athletic, but never really a distance runner. After my 4th child I starting running and ran my 1st 5 K. I was training for a 10K and running about 20 miles a week (living in CA) and got pregnant with #5. I gained only 22 lbs with #5 and bounced back very fast. I felt great, looked great and started training for the elusive 10k again.

We moved to Ohio, and I trained through the fall. Then it got cold and I got pregnant, had a miscarriage, got pregnant again, and had #6. I have had a really hard time bouncing back from this baby (who is now 14 months old). I am getting close to my regular weight (within 10-12 lbs or so) and would not be considered over weight, but I am not in shape.

I find that our current schedule and the cold really makes me not want to run. I am one of those people who can go out and run 2 miles without much effort, so the couch 10 5k is really too slow for me.

I just need to have a consistent schedule and would love to know how moms of many get out the door. Dh leaves before the sun is up and in the winter doesn't return til almost dark. I am toying with going at nap time leaving my oldest in charge while the littlest are sleeping, but I am not sure he is ready for that. WE live in the country on a rural bike path, so I am actually set up nicely and I ran fairly consistently (2-3 times a week) over the summer. When we lived in CA my dh was a PhD student and home all the time so I could get out more. Not so much now. We'll see if accountability will help me. Ah, I also had a running partner in CA. SHe was younger and had lots more energy than me. ;)

I lost 85+ pounds in 2006 by eating less and moving more.

That's awesome!

I ran for 20 minutes straight yesterday, which is a lifetime record for me, I think :D. I still don't know that I'm a runner, but I do enjoy pushing myself and it's a great workout, so I'll stick with it. I plan on running a 5K this spring or summer.

You're doing great! I don't know that I'm a runner, either. Now and then people will say to me, "Oh, I can't run. You have "that" kind of build so it's probably easy for you." Hmmm, well, it's not been easy for me, I know that much.:p And while I'm thin, I don't have what I think of a runner's "build", either ~ not that wiry kind of build that seems designed for speed, if you kwim.

The hardest steps are the first, aren't they? I'm impressed that you got back on track even after backsliding. The weather can be problematic indeed. Every winter, I consider getting a treadmill but I just loathe the very notion. I should try to pick up a used one, though, for those times when snow/ice or the northeast wind make running outside impossible.

Are you children old enough to run, too? It's fun to have mine participate in some of the races. I love that running is something almost everyone can do!

Hey, can I join??? I was a runner in high school (cross country, 800m and 400m in track). I didn't really enjoy the practices, but I liked getting together with my friends. Oh - it helped that I was VERY competitive and did quite well! LOL

I kept running until I had my first child. Then, I just got out of the habit. It's weird, but I still consider myself a runner. Anyway, I've recently started working out again regularly. I am going to start running outside as soon as the ice melts.

I've found some races around and think I may do a 5K with my kids sometime this spring. We were just at Disney during the marathon and I would love to run the 1/2 marathon there!

So, there's my story! I'm off to print off the Couch to 5K!

No way could I have run during my second trimester ~ or my first, for that matter. My pregnancies (and recoveries) were just way too challenged. It's great that you're thinking about getting back in the groove, Amy. But don't think ahead too much; those early weeks snuggling with a newborn are just so precious. (Oh, boy...just thinking about babies makes me verklempt again...where's Doran when I need her?!;))

Hey, can I join??? I was a runner in high school (cross country, 800m and 400m in track). I didn't really enjoy the practices, but I liked getting together with my friends. Oh - it helped that I was VERY competitive and did quite well! LOL

I'm competitive, too, but as I mentioned I definitely didn't do well when I ran track. It was all about the social scene for me.:D Even now, as a competitive person, I compare my times at races to those of others and get down on myself. I have to just try and focus on doing my personal best.

Glad to have you here, Jennifer!

No doubt the Ohio winters make running less palatable than in California! You're fortunate, though, in that you seem to have a natural ability as a runner. I'll bet once you're running regularly (or even semi-regularly) you could do a 10K, no problem. The consistency in terms of training is a toughie, for sure. I can't go in the mornings, either, which is sorta okay, because I am not one who enjoys running in the a.m. But anyway, Hans is in the barn at 3 a.m. and my older three go out in the mornings for a while, too, so of course I can't go then. Hans does try to be available in the late afternoons, which is when I go running, but he's not always in the house. Sometimes I just have to go and leave my older two in charge and more often than not, that works well. I have also been known to bring them with me to the park in town and they hang out there while I run.

I hope you can get into a routine soon, Marie!

Oddly enough, I find it harder to get motivated to run in the summer than I do in the winter. (Except when the northeaster is blowing, in which case running is on par with taking my life into my own hands. Same goes for the icy roads, like you said.) On warm summer days, I just want to loll about or work in my garden. And if the temp really rises, I wilt out there!

Summer is fine for me since it rarely gets into the 90's here. I have to run in the early am anyway since DH works swing shift so heat isn't usually a problem.

I see people running out there when the streets are icy and I just :eek: I would surely break a bone!

I would love the encouragement and accountability....I am a newbie to running, only having run for the past five weeks. I'm 36. I am doing a variation on the couch to 5k that my dh suggested..it's from runners world. I am running both for mental and physical health...I'm trying to lose my baby weight (ds is 6 months) and to get myself outdoors for some personal thinking and quiet.

I'm blessed to live in an easy to run location....our little neighborhood has lots of nooks and crannies to explore, as well as some trails nearby. I run when my little guy is napping, and that is the only time of the day my others get to watch tv-the current favorite is "The Brady Bunch".

So far, I haven't lost any weight from running, but I can definitely tell a difference in my body-my leg muscles are much firmer and I'm not dying for breath as much ;) when I run. I've also noticed I have so much more energy in the daytime, and I'm sleeping better. Of course, the fact that my little guy is sleeping better is helping, too.

Something I have really enjoyed is a website called MapMyRun.com. I keep an online log of my runs, and am tracking my mileage. This has been very satisfying-even at the midway point in the couch to the 5k I am accruing 9-10 miles a week-more than I ever thought I could run!

Well, that's me!

Are you children old enough to run, too? It's fun to have mine participate in some of the races. I love that running is something almost everyone can do!

Yes my children are old enough -- 10, 11 and 11. And I would love them to be involved. I'm going to try and motivate them to join me. Last summer my energetic 11 yr ds skateboarded or road his bike while yelling at me "faster mom, faster!!" I think I might make him ditch the wheels and join me!!

Rose

Great idea, Colleen! I've been running for about 4 years now. I started exercising when I was 42 because I was gaining weight. I'd always been thin and wanted to stay that way. I began by walking, but after about a year of that, I decided to try running. I was hooked. It hasn't been easy, and I'm not very fast, but I'm doing it and the pounds have stayed off. I usually run 5 days/week. I grew up in the North, but now live in the South, so summers are brutal for me. I run on my treadmill when the weather isn't cooperative.

Diann

I am not a runner. I taught aerobics off an on for ~ 15 years, but when we moved to our current house ~ 5 years ago, I quit teaching. I tried lots of different things, but nothing stuck. But, two summers ago, I trained with my 4 older girls for a "Women's 4-Miler" that raised money for breast cancer. This was a REALLY fun race. Through the winter, I trained for a 10-miler. I finished it, but was SLOW. Last summer, we ran the 4-miler again. But, I decided I didn't want to train for the 10-miler b/c I just didn't want to run that far. Running 3-5 miles several times a week is really good for me. BUT, I ran sporadically through the fall and winter. This week I started back with a plan. I'm strength training 3x/week, running 3x/week. One of those runs may morph into hiking with the family or something like that if it's a pretty day. The goal is to 'do cardio' and that could be hiking/biking/etc.

Oh, I do have six kiddoes and exercise in the morning b/f we get going. Otherwise it doesn't happen.

Thanks, Colleen, for starting this!

:) Cindy

Some sports really aren't amenable to learning beyond a certain age. (Well, for some of us, anyway...I know people in their 60s who take up skiing or snowboarding, but they're the exception!) I love it that running is do-able for a variety of ages. Last year my 4 year old ran a 5K race ~ and believe me there's no way I would have run that far at age 4! Right behind him were a woman in her late 40s with her twenty-something daughter. Love the variety!

Glad you posted, Diann.:)

I have never in my life been able to do aerobics. I don't have the coordination or the lung capacity or something because it wears me out after no time. Plus I prefer to be on my own and outside, so running works well for me. But when we were in high school and I had to do this aerobics class, I felt like a real loser.:p

I'm glad you're getting back on track this week, Cindy. I was hoping you'd chime in!:)

Some sports really aren't amenable to learning beyond a certain age. (Well, for some of us, anyway...I know people in their 60s who take up skiing or snowboarding, but they're the exception!) I love it that running is do-able for a variety of ages. Last year my 4 year old ran a 5K race ~ and believe me there's no way I would have run that far at age 4! Right behind him were a woman in her late 40s with her twenty-something daughter. Love the variety!

Glad you posted, Diann.:)

get your son to run that far? I'd like to run with my boys, but even though they are very active their endurance for running isn't the best.

Any tips on training with kids?

My boys don't care enough for running at this point to do any training at all. (They do play soccer and ski, so they're fit.) Sometimes they participate in the shorter races I run, other times not. Since it's free (included in our running club membership), they usually just decide on the spur of the moment whether or not to run. My oldest usually does participate. The longest race he's done is a 7-miler and that was definitely long enough for him. He may do cross country in high school, though; he has the right mentality for running. My second son doesn't like it as much. He's has a sprinter's mentality ~ goes out too fast, gets tired, stops to walk, sprints again, etc. My third son seems to like it well enough. He finished in 29 minutes in the 5K this past Saturday.

The younger two like doing the kids' fun runs (usually a half mile or so) that sometimes take place prior to the actual race. When my fourth son (who was 4 at the time) did the whole 5K, we'd arrived too late for the fun run. So I just told him to run however much of the regular race he felt like running. (He was next to my husband, who was jogging/walking with the then-2 year old in a stroller.) Turned out he ran the whole thing ~ in 45 minutes, which absolutely floored me, given his age.

Anyway, no they don't train. I don't want them to train with me, since I like running alone. But they seem to do fine when they actually get out there for a race. It helps that most of the races we do have good snacks afterward, as well as ribbons and sometimes other prizes. Motivational tools!! Good luck!

I don't know how I used to run when I lived in Houston.:eek: I'm exhausted running in temps above 70 at this point. I've read that when you run, you can assume it'll feel like the temps are 20 degrees above actual, and that rule of thumb is usually true for me. If it's 30, I can dress like it's 50 and I'm good to go, for example.

Sounds like you're doing well in your routine. It's nice that you have trails nearby. The roads right around our farm are narrow, long, straight, and have higher speed limits. Have a pumped-up pick-up fly by at 50+ mph doesn't make for very enjoyable running, so I usually pop up to town, a few miles up the road, and run around the neighborhoods. I far prefer to run in the bigger city nearby, where there are good trails and a waterfront route. I only get a a chance to do that once every few weeks, though. What I do like about running here is that I feel very safe. The only disconcerting thing that's happened to me is when a barred owl grabbed the hat off my head last year. That was freaky!:eek:

And I really like running posts. They inspire and encourage me. I'm currently ramping up for a 10K in March. I ran a 5K in November (with my 11 year old daughter who completed it with me with NO preparation!).

I'm really, really not a natural runner. I'm not overweight, yet I really have to work to build up to running distances and I quickly lose gains I've made. I've never competed in any organized sports (although I enjoy activity) and I've only started running intermittently in the last 5 years. I like how one runner, who's article I read recently, said he was an 'adult onset athlete'. That's sorta me.

I just recently started reading Kristin Armstrong's running blog (she's a fellow Austinite) at this website: http://milemarkers.runnersworld.com I really identify with her perspective. She wrote recently that because she's not a "natural" runner, she has to work hard for every gain she makes running. Her friends can breeze by her. But the sense of accomplishment she has when she completes a race makes running that much sweeter. That's me too. Completing a race is a big deal to me because I've had to work hard for it.

Okay, I've rambled. I do love the subject so I guess I get a little wordy.:D

BTW, although I've never posted much to begin with, this is my second post (I think) on the new forum. I hope I'm using it correctly. I used to be "Jennifer in FL (now in TX)" on the old message boards, but I move so much that I just decided to be "Jennifer on Earth". That way, I'll never have to change my handle again!

I will tentatively raise my hand in this one. We're still in the throws of renovating/moving but after the first of the year I decided to not wait 'til we were *done* to plug back into regular exercise. I have done Couch to 5K with 15yo dd off an on but, right now, find my time on the Nordic Track cross country skier to be my best bet to meeting the objective of exercise routinely. My goal is 6 days/week. Last week, my first real attempt at this, amounted to 3 days. Something's better than nothing, yes? :-P

I'm running about 20 miles a week right now--I'd like to work my way back up to 30 a week (I got derailed before Christmas by a bad cough that wouldn't go away and have had a hard time getting back) but I'm a little bit worried about wear and tear on my joints...my father ran for years and now has serious back troubles, although there were contributing factors.

Anyway, any tips on reducing wear and tear would be welcome. I do try to run on dirt roads and I wear New Balance, but I can feel it in my hips and lower back.

I am a runner. I ran in high school and college. I'm a natural runner. It's easy for me to run. Sorry, it just is.

I too get sidelines with injuries and illness. I also at times just get lazy.

Jan 2007 I ran the Disney Marathon. Not what I would call fun, but something I want to do again - a marathon, not necessarily Disney.

I was getting ready for a 1/2 marathon to be run in March when my dog tripped me. I ended up getting 3 stitches in my knee and being sidelined for a month with doctor ordered recovery. I just haven't made it back yet. The knee at times just is not right. That and just plain out of shape now.

It seems like any time I make it to running 5-6 days a week, I get shin splints. I'm fighting those, again. I'm still running, or trying to run 5-6 days a week, with the dog that tripped me. Of course, I haven't run on the roads with him yet. (A garbage truck drove past and scared him.) Tne trails are good though, but today they will be muddy!

Better go run now while it's not raining and I still have time to shower.

Anyway, any tips on reducing wear and tear would be welcome. I do try to run on dirt roads and I wear New Balance, but I can feel it in my hips and lower back.

Running just seems hard on my body. I dealt with nagging lower back pain for months back in 2006 brought on from my farming job. I am feeling nearly 100% recovered now and attribute the healing in part to a walking/running routine that I started (and stopped) this past summer/fall, So, running is definitely negatively affected by a lack discipline here. But, another factor is how it feels. Women mid-40+ esp., I would love to know more about how you deal with that aspect, if you do.

Doran

p.s. How funny! My word of the day today (Mirr.-Webster/via email) is as follows:

dĂƒÂ©gringolade \day-gran-guh-LAHD\ noun

: a rapid decline or deterioration (as in strength, position, or condition) : downfall

Hmmmmm!

I have been very suprised that after 5 months of running regularly and hearing people ask about my knees and back I can honestly say I have not had any problems. However, I moved on and off through the years with walking, aerobics, weight training, nordic trac through the years. this may be why. I also STRETCH. I think some aches and pains may be hereditary. I replace my running shoes every 3 months because the ball of my foot does start hurting. I am guessing because I run heavy and once that coushin is gone from the shoe and I start feeling it I get new ones.

Good morning everyone! I am training for my first full marathon now. I am not on schedule and am having a heck of a time finding the time to run. I should be up to 16 miles on my long runs but I am not there. I am going to work hard to catch up so I don't end up with an injury. I am starting yoga again to help with the injury prevention. I am going to go ahead and sign up for a half marathon being held next month to get my butt motivated again. I think what gets me is the treadmill. The weather is so unpredictable and I so detest being cold that I end up on a treadmill at the gym. It is just so gray and yucky and dull and the tv is never interesting. I did something interesting to my knee last month so I am dealing with that, too. Enough of the whining? I need motivation again.