Menu

Book a Week 2016 - BW35: summer sun

Robin M

A bookish post ~

(I'll admit that I had heard of Pokemon Go but had no clue as to its meaning.) 

This Facebook group is playing Pokémon Go with books

"With the wildly popular AR title Pokémon Go, developer Niantic basically got people to participate in the world’s largest treasure hunt. Inspired by the game, a primary school teacher in Belgium has created her own simplified version that anyone can play – but with books instead of monsters...."

5 Books to Celebrate Mary Shelley’s Birthday  by Kate Scott

"Today is Mary Shelley’s 219th birthday! Celebrate with these 5 books about her fascinating life and work...."

7 Ways To Organize Your Books (Other Than Alphabetically)  by Jessi Lewis

Get Creative With Coloring Pages Inspired by Classic Books

Read This, Then That: David Arnold’s Kids of Appetite and Great Shifting POV Novels  by Eric Smith

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

I'm listening to one right now as an audiobook for the first time in at least five years and it's just like catching up with old friends because I know the characters so well.  Did you ever finish the series?  I think LJB died during the writing of the last one and it was finished by someone else.  The reviews scared me off of reading it.

I think I have read the whole series. I checked a big stack out that I wasn't sure about last year while visiting the US and read each until I recognized having read it. I am great at boosting circulation numbers! ;)

I was in the process of my big move when the last book was published. I don't think it was all that good because it was depressing. The characters were feeling their age. But the author was in her 90's when writing it so I think she may have felt the need to wrap their lives up also. It was not a fun mystery!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/72816.The_Cat_Who_Had_60_Whiskers. There is another partially published book with a really limited distribution out there. I haven't read that one.

For anyone interested in trying this series I think it was at it's best in the middle. I remember really liking the Post Office one https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/38436.The_Cat_Who_Played_Post_Office so that might be a good place to start. This is a series that I read hugely out of order. I remember really struggling to get the early books which were written in the 60's and set in an alternate Detroit. The Detroit ones were good but had a different feel than the UP ones.

A bookish post ~

(I'll admit that I had heard of Pokemon Go but had no clue as to its meaning.) 

This Facebook group is playing Pokémon Go with books

"With the wildly popular AR title Pokémon Go, developer Niantic basically got people to participate in the world’s largest treasure hunt. Inspired by the game, a primary school teacher in Belgium has created her own simplified version that anyone can play – but with books instead of monsters...."

This sounds like way more fun to me! The mobile game has created a situation where kids are bike riding while on their phones the wrong way down our one way street. Pulling out of our driveway has become a bit harder.

• Like 8

If you like British charm, farm-life type books, you may like this. It's been on my to-read list for a little while and today the Kindle edition is on sale for $2.99.

9781250060242.jpg

This looks so good. Added to my TBR list.

I read A Grief Observed - 3 Stars - C.S. Lewis wrote this in the form of a journal after his dear wife’s passing to cancer. I was looking forward to reading it, and although there were many parts that I thought were thought-provoking and insightful, overall I didn’t appreciate it as much as I had hoped. However, I am glad that I read it. It may be eye-opening to many when one sees that the faith of even the strongest soul can be shaken when faced with such grief.

He wrote: “Perhaps the bereaved ought to be isolated in special settlements like lepers.†Sadly, in much of modern society, people seem quite uncomfortable with talking about death and losing loved ones.

As far as books on death and dying go, my favorite so far is In the Midst of Life by Jennifer Worth. She’s one of my favorite writers.

Some other favorite quotes:

“I loathe the slightest effort. Not only writing but even reading a letter is too much. Even shaving. What does it matter now whether my cheek is rough or smooth? They say an unhappy man wants distractions—something to take him out of himself. Only as a dog-tired man wants an extra blanket on a cold night; he’d rather lie there shivering than get up and find one. It’s easy to see why the lonely become untidy, finally, dirty and disgusting.

Meanwhile, where is God?â€

“When you are happy, so happy that you have no sense of needing Him, so happy that you are tempted to feel His claims upon you as an interruption, if you remember yourself and turn to Him with gratitude and praise, you will be—or so it feels—welcomed with open arms. But go to Him when your need is desperate, when all other help is vain, and what do you find? A door slammed in your face, and a sound of bolting and double bolting on the inside. After that, silence. You may as well turn away. The longer you wait, the more emphatic the silence will become.â€

“It is hard to have patience with people who say, ‘There is no death’ or ‘Death doesn’t matter.’ There is death. And whatever is matters. And whatever happens has consequences, and it and they are irrevocable and irreversible. You might as well say that birth doesn’t matter. I look up at the night sky. Is anything more certain than that in all those vast times and spaces, if I were allowed to search them, I should nowhere find her face, her voice, her touch? She died. She is dead. Is the word so difficult to learn?â€

“Bereavement is a universal and integral part of our experience of love. It follows marriage as normally as marriage follows courtship or as autumn follows summer. It is not a truncation of the process but one of its phases; not the interruption of the dance, but the next figure. We are ‘taken out of bereavement is not the truncation of married love but one of its regular phases—like the honeymoon.â€

“The more joy there can be in the marriage between dead and living, the better. The better in every way. For, as I have discovered, passionate grief does not link us with the dead but cuts us off from them. This become clearer and clearer. It is just at those moments when I feel least sorrow—getting into my morning bath is usually one of them—that H. rushes upon my mind in her full reality, her otherness. Not, as in my worst moments, all foreshortened and patheticized and solemnized by my miseries, but as she is in her own right. This is good and tonic. I seem to remember—though though I couldn’t quote one at the moment—all sorts of ballads and folktales in which the dead tell us that our mourning does them some kind of wrong. They beg us to stop it. There may be far more depth in this than I thought. If so, our grandfathers’ generation went very far astray. All that (sometimes lifelong) ritual of sorrow—visiting graves, keeping anniversaries, leaving the empty bedroom exactly as ‘the departed’ used to keep it, mentioning the dead either not at all or always in a special voice, or even (like Queen Victoria) having the dead man’s clothes put out for dinner every evening—this was like mummification. It made the dead far more dead.â€

“I will turn to her as often as possible in gladness. I will even salute her with a laugh. The less I mourn her the nearer I seem to her.â€

Also added to my TBR list. My father died last year, the first death of someone so close to me. I was surprised at how grief was a strange and difficult emotion to master. I'll need to work up the courage to read this.

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 10

7 Ways To Organize Your Books (Other Than Alphabetically)  by Jessi Lewis

Regards,

Kareni

Interesting.  No doubt influenced by WTM, I have my fiction & history books organized chronologically (by subject, not publication date for the books about history).  Science and other nonfiction is shelved by topic. I love how the color-organization looks, but that would absolutely drive me insane to actually have my books organized that way!  Do any real live readers do that?  

I quickly learn the spatial organization of my bookshelves and know just where to look to find something. This has recently been turned upside down, as I've had to move out and then rearrange all my bookshelves as we redo our floors. I still find myself looking at the old "spot" on the bookshelf for a book I'm looking for.  No doubt I'll eventually figure out the new order but it is annoying - oh yeah, books about writing are on that shelf now!

• Like 11

I now have two audio books I didn't finish that put me on a wait list. What is with other people wanting to listen to the same books as me thus making me wait? 

14 days loan for audio books in not long enough.

Check your settings if these are overdrive books. A 21 day option for audiobooks appeared about a month ago at one of my libraries. You might have a pleasant surprise. I also suspend my "next in line holds" if I am just starting a new book that is popular.

• Like 8

Interesting.  No doubt influenced by WTM, I have my fiction & history books organized chronologically (by subject, not publication date for the books about history).  Science and other nonfiction is shelved by topic. I love how the color-organization looks, but that would absolutely drive me insane to actually have my books organized that way!  Do any real live readers do that?  

I quickly learn the spatial organization of my bookshelves and know just where to look to find something. This has recently been turned upside down, as I've had to move out and then rearrange all my bookshelves as we redo our floors. I still find myself looking at the old "spot" on the bookshelf for a book I'm looking for.  No doubt I'll eventually figure out the new order but it is annoying - oh yeah, books about writing are on that shelf now!

I simply have my books in categories of fiction (historical, mythology, literature), history, science, math, and then a couple shelves for leveled readers. That is hard enough to keep organized thanks to my youngest who does not put books back where he got them. He leaves piles around the house. 

• Like 11

DH and I are minimalists by nature and our book collection reflects that.  95% of the books we own our children's books because we like to have plenty of picture books or favorite chapter books for them to pull off the shelf and read whenever they want.  The rest of the books we own are either reference books or books we just love.  I guess that would make our organization system be by readability - the books for Chews are on the bottom shelves and Little Librarian's are higher up.    

* I Am Not a Serial Killer by Dan Wells. Horror - I've been listening to the Writing Excuses podcast for almost a year, and other than Brandon Sanderson, I've never read the other podcasters' books. The movie, based on the book, was released last Friday so I decided I should read it before watching. John Wayne Cleaver fears the monster in his head; after all he's the son of Sam and he shares a name with a notorious serial killer. But he has rules and so long as he follows those rules, he can seem normal. Until the dead bodies show up. I believe this was originally marketed as a YA crime thriller, which I believe was a mistake. I read the reviews after I was finished, and it seems many people were disappointed to discover it was horror. Highly recommended, if you like the genre.

I love that podcast. 

I read The Hollow City by Dan Wells last year.  Totally not my genre of choice but I loved most of it.  Great characterization and premise.  The ending was so weird though and I didn't like it at all. 

Have you read the Writing Excuses short story collection Shadows Beneath?  I really liked it.

• Like 8

I love how the color-organization looks, but that would absolutely drive me insane to actually have my books organized that way!  Do any real live readers do that?  

One of my daughter's friends (who is in her latter twenties and has a big collection of books) organized her books by color.  While she loved the look, she has since returned to her previous methods.  She thought she'd be able to recall the color of each book;  however, she found that spine colors did not always match the cover illustrations with which she was more familiar.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

An author whose historical romances I enjoy has a book that is currently free to Kindle readers ~

"Hadrian Bothwell was never an excellent fit with a religious calling, so when his titled brother asks him to take over running the family estate, Hadrian gives up vicaring and returns to Cumberland. He’s spent years thinking of Lady Avis Portmaine as the woman he should have fought for, but he finds Avis has become a recluse on the neighboring estate, socially shunned, and more unavailable than ever.

If Hadrian wants to win the lady’s heart, he must first win her freedom from the past that continues to torment her."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

I love how the color-organization looks, but that would absolutely drive me insane to actually have my books organized that way!  Do any real live readers do that?  

I do.  :lol:

Well, sort-of. I have a circular wall bookcase that I arrange that way. We mentioned this a couple of years ago & I posted a picture then:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/537088-book-a-week-in-2014-bw-52-wrap-it-up-with-a-bow/?p=6107174 

It's still similar, but some books have come & gone since then. I don't tend to hang onto my books unless they are absolute favorites. I also have one long bookshelf by my desk which is not arranged in any particular order & the books are double-stacked. Those tend to be my random books that I plan to read (& then often pass on or donate after I'm finished with them).

In our den, we have some built-in bookshelves. I keep all the ones my dd had to read in high school there because ds will likely have to read many of those same books. We also have reference books there & various travel &/or coffee table type art or photo books there.

Both my kids keep their books in their rooms. Dd has bookcases filled to the brim, plus oodles of stacks all over the floor. (She never gets rid of any books.) Ds has a more curated collection & tends to arrange it mostly by favorites (so one shelf is dedicated to comics -- all the Calvin & Hobbes books, Get Fuzzy, & a few other random ones he has), another few shelves are just for Terry Pratchett, another shelf just for Harry Potter, etc.... Dh is not a huge reader & is more of a one-in, one-out type of person. He has few books, reads one at a time, & then donates it before buying another one at the used bookstore.

• Like 10

Interesting. No doubt influenced by WTM, I have my fiction & history books organized chronologically (by subject, not publication date for the books about history). Science and other nonfiction is shelved by topic. I love how the color-organization looks, but that would absolutely drive me insane to actually have my books organized that way! Do any real live readers do that?

I quickly learn the spatial organization of my bookshelves and know just where to look to find something. This has recently been turned upside down, as I've had to move out and then rearrange all my bookshelves as we redo our floors. I still find myself looking at the old "spot" on the bookshelf for a book I'm looking for. No doubt I'll eventually figure out the new order but it is annoying - oh yeah, books about writing are on that shelf now!

You lead me to open up the question: how do y'all organize your books? (Insofar as they're organized.) After trying various methods, dh and I found the only way that we were able to find the books we're looking for is to shelve them by publisher and binding. We're terrible at remembering where we shelved a book, but good at remembering what it looked like; so all the Norton critical editions go in one place, all the Loebs another, all the orange-cover Penguins another, etc.

• Like 11

I finished The Hike last night.

It was weird for sure. Not totally my type of weird book. There was a little too much of a horror-vibe thrown in for it to be my style book (some things were just too gross for me, especially near the beginning of the book). I think the original article Kareni linked about it said it would be a good beach read for guys who don't want to read action/macho man type stuff; I think I would agree but with reservations -- I love off-the-wall, unique stories a lot of the time, but I also know that my tastes in books are not universally shared. I'm not sure how much an 'average' reader (who enjoys popular/best-seller type fiction) would like this story; I would almost guess that a reader like that would be mystified, stumped, or entirely turned-off by this book. (For instance, I could pretty much guarantee that neither of my parents would like it, nor would my dh.) Certainly there were plenty of unexpected plot points, but it also dragged or got too fantastical at times. 

I'm still not quite sure what the point of the story was, but it was an interesting enough trek for me to classify it as beach reading for myself. There is better weird fiction out there, though. 3 stars. 

• Like 12

You lead me to open up the question: how do y'all organize your books? (Insofar as they're organized.)

We have a collection of classics in the living room, some of my husband's non-fiction, reference books, several shelves of my daughter's favorites, a shelf of books I've collected that are prospective book group books, my highschool and college yearbooks, and family photo albums.  Most of the shelves in our bedroom contain my books.  There are shelves of romances which are categorized as keeper historicals, contemporaries, and paranormals as well as shelves of to be read historicals, contemporaries, and paranormals.  There are also old favorites (my Star Trek collection, Robert Goddard, and Don Camillo books, for example) as well as humor books (A Hotel Is a Place, Baby Blues, Calvin and Hobbes.  My husband has a collection of spiritual books in the bedroom that keeps company with some of my father's favorites which I inherited after he died.  There is a host of math and science books in my husband's office.  We are a bookish household.

ETA: And there are two plastic bins near our grandmother clock -- one holds books from our local library; the other holds books from the library in our neighboring city.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 10

Organizing books:

The dining room doubles as our library. On one side of the picture window is an antique China cabinet. The top half holds hardback literary fiction arranged artistically, behind glass. The bottom half holds textbooks, crammed behind doors. On the other side of the picture window is a smallish bookcase packed with literary fiction in paperback. The shelves tend to naturally fall into books for younger people at the bottom and move upward in age.

On the opposite wall are two tall bookshelves that reach almost to the ceiling. The first bookcase has two shelves of biographies, a shelf of history interest, a shelf of foreign language and english wordsmith type books, a shelf of high school math and science texts, and a shelf of books too large to fit elsewhere. The second has a shelf of science interest, a shelf of various religious texts and references, and a shelf of encyclopedias (which are 20 years old and rarely used any more. I would like to get rid if them but there have been protests.)

Other than these loose subjects, I tend to order books on the shelves by size and whether they are paperback or hardback. My personal favorites are shelved in my sewing room. My books to be read are in stacks on the floors of my sewing room or bed room. I don't usually keep them after they are read, unless I will use them for school or they get a place of honor with the ones I love. Every one in the family has personal bookshelves in their rooms. Hmm. Maybe I should get another bookshelf so I don't have to pile any on the floor. Of course I could stop buying second hand books, but that's not very realistic.

• Like 12

You lead me to open up the question: how do y'all organize your books? (Insofar as they're organized.) After trying various methods, dh and I found the only way that we were able to find the books we're looking for is to shelve them by publisher and binding. We're terrible at remembering where we shelved a book, but good at remembering what it looked like; so all the Norton critical editions go in one place, all the Loebs another, all the orange-cover Penguins another, etc.

Mine are loosely grouped by genre. Mysteries and sci fi on one bookcase, travel and non-fiction on some others with fiction somewhat scattered -- the nicer looking hardback books are arranged somewhat artfully on the more public shelves.  The "to be read" are conveniently stacked up in plain sight in the bedroom, which I either conveniently ignore or feel guilty about when I bring new books home.  Then there is all my music which I keep in large magazine type holders, all grouped by type -- quartets, fiddle, viola, sonatas, student books, Christmas, sacred, etc. I don't have enough music to sort by composer, though. My husband's art book, graphic novels and comic books fill his studio, half a closet in another bedroom, with a huge pile in the garage that I did through whenever I find someone who wants free comics.  And I have a nice collection of kid books that I simply can't bear to part with.

Reference books are shelved where they are used -- sewing and music reference in my sewing/music room, cookbooks by the kitchen as are the reference books collected over years of homeschooling.

Rose -- I feel your new flooring pain. 2 years ago when we  got new floors in the upstairs, I had to move all of mine downstairs, and my dh filled the entire bathroom with his books and art. We can never, ever move -- too many books!

I finished The Hike last night.

It was weird for sure. Not totally my type of weird book. There was a little too much of a horror-vibe thrown in for it to be my style book (some things were just too gross for me, especially near the beginning of the book). I think the original article Kareni linked about it said it would be a good beach read for guys who don't want to read action/macho man type stuff; I think I would agree but with reservations -- I love off-the-wall, unique stories a lot of the time, but I also know that my tastes in books are not universally shared. I'm not sure how much an 'average' reader (who enjoys popular/best-seller type fiction) would like this story; I would almost guess that a reader like that would be mystified, stumped, or entirely turned-off by this book. (For instance, I could pretty much guarantee that neither of my parents would like it, nor would my dh.) Certainly there were plenty of unexpected plot points, but it also dragged or got too fantastical at times. 

I'm still not quite sure what the point of the story was, but it was an interesting enough trek for me to classify it as beach reading for myself. There is better weird fiction out there, though. 3 stars. 

I got an ARC of this at comic-con after seeing the author at a really fun panel comparing genre fiction to mixing cocktails. I hadn't cracked it open because of the horror aspect, and because the author didn't quite captivate me the way some of the others did. Here is a youtube recording of the panel -- if you've got an hour to spare. Fantasy Mixology: The Perfect Literary Cocktail 

Edited by JennW in SoCal
  • Like 11

I love this discussion on books and organizing.  It's basically my two favorite topics ever.  (A close third would be cooking .. anyone want to discuss how they organize their cookbooks?!?!)  My books aren't as impressive as some on here but I'll take some pictures tonight and post them tomorrow.  I would LOVE to see everyone elses shelves too. 

• Like 12

Whittling down my stack of library books, but running out of time, since they are due on Saturday.  Won't be the first time I take some back unread, even after renewing them.

44.  "Seven Miracles That Saved America" by Chris Stewart and Ted Stewart (LDS).  Conservative view of history, of course.  Anybody know a good, readable account of the Battle of Midway?  I realized I know next to nothing about it after reading the account here.  Or the war in the Pacific, in general, really, which is negligent of me, since my grandfather was killed there.  (I did read "Unbroken" last year.  And I loved "Black Sheep Squadron" in rerun, but I doubt that counts as a good education.)

43. "The Reading Promise: My Father and the Books We Shared" by Alice Ozma.  Grabbed this one from the "Staff Picks" shelf at the library.  A memoir about a commitment between a father and daughter to read for 1000 consecutive nights and how it lead to a reading relationship that lasted until she left for college.

42. "Unsolved Mysteries of American History" by Paul Aron.

41. "The Out-of-Sync Child Grows Up" by Carol Stock Kranowitz. 

40. "Look Me in the Eye: my life with asperger's" by John Elder Robison.

39. "The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History" by Thomas E. Woods.

38. "A Buffet of Sensory Interventions: Solutions for Middle and High School Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders" by Susan Culp. 

37. "Thinking in Pictures" by Temple Grandin.

36. "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child" by Jack Thorne, et al

35. "The Wizard of Oz" by Frank Baum. 

34. "Adventures of Tom Sawyer" by Mark Twain.  (We listened as we traveled in Missouri!)

33. "Blue Fairy Book" by Andrew Lang.

32. "Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing" by Judy Blume.

31. "Greenwich" by Susan Cooper.

30. "Dark is Rising" by Susan Cooper.

29. "Clash of Cultures" by Christopher and James Lincoln Collier.

28. "The Story of US: First Americans" by Joy Hakim.

27. "Freak the Mighty" by Rodman Philbrick. 

26. "The Mouse and the Motorcycle" by Beverly Cleary.

25."Caddie Woodlawn" by Carol Ryrie Brink.

24. "Frightful's Mountain" by Jean Craighead George.

23.  "The Power of Vulnerability" by Brene Brown.

22.  "My side of the Mountain" by Jean Craighead George.

21. "Cheaper By the Dozen" by Frank Butler Gilbreth, Jr. and Ernestine Gilbreth Carey.

20. "Murder on the Ballarat Train" by Kerry Greenwood.

19. "Over See, Under Stone" by Susan Cooper

18. "Sing Down the Moon" by Scott O'Dell.

17. "Soft Rain" by Cornelia Cornelissen.

16. "The Collapse of Parenting" by Leonard Sax.

15. ""Flying Too High: A Phyrne Fisher Mystery" by Kerry Greenwood.

14. "Cocaine Blues: A Phyrne Fisher Mystery" by Kerry Greenwood.

13. "Let It Go" by Chris Williams

12. "Writing From Personal Experience" by Nancy Davidoff Kelton.

11. "Writing the Memoir" by Judith Barrington.

10.  "Boys Adrift" by Leonard Sax.

9. "Girls on the Edge" by Leonard Sax.  

8. "Christ and the Inner Life" by Truman G. Madsen. (LDS)  

7. "Gaze into Heaven" by Marlene Bateman Sullivan. (LDS)

6. "To Heaven and Back" by Mary C. Neal, MD.

5. "When Will the Heaven Begin?" by Ally Breedlove.

4. "Four" by Virginia Roth.

3. "Allegiant" by Virgina Roth.

2. " Insurgent" by Virginia Roth.

1. "Divergent" by Virginia Roth.

• Like 11

I finished 2 more books. 

Clash of Civilizations Over an Elevator in Piazza Vittorio, which was recommended by Stacia. I liked it but it was odd. My review.

Looking Good Dead - Roy Grace #2

I wasn't sure what I wanted to read next (in addition to my ongoing long reads), then 2 Kindle holds came in at the library. So now I'm reading -

Men Explain Things to Me - I like this, especially after having just finished the Ruth Bader Ginsburg bio but it isn't what I expected. I don't really know what I expected, but it's much angrier than I thought it would be. 

Silence of the Grave - Inspector Erlender #4, but the 2nd one published in English. 

Let's see, since I posted last, I finished listening to Moby Dick.  Can I just say, without getting kicked out of the club, that this was a terrible book?  If I had been reading rather than listening, I never would have finished it - like the 3 or 4 previous times I have tried to read it.  What it really needed was an excellent, and ruthless, editor.  You could cut 2/3 of the book and have a pretty decent adventure story.  As expected, I didn't like all the whale-slaughtering bits, but particularly didn't care for the characterization of vicious beasts set on malevolent attacks on the poor humans.  Um, you're out there slaughtering them, remember???  And even when it got to the good action sequences, it ruined them by panning from one character to the next and giving each one a long soliloquy.  I gave it two stars for the few flashes of humor and the brilliant satire, but that was a stretch.  However, I suppose I have marked one off my culture-virtue bucket list now, so there's that.

Yes to everything! I too wouldn't have made it through if I read it rather than listened, though I only tried to read it once. When I was finished I didn't think it deserved the title of classic. It was a check mark on the list of should-reads, that's all. 

War and Peace could have been the same - just culture virtue points - except I loved it. :D

• Like 8

How do I organize my books? Badly! :(

In our living room we have a smallish book shelf with reference/ school books. Interested in Greek top shelf with the Christian reference books. Other languages second shelf with math. Need to take an AP exam, SAT Subject, or other standardized test check out the third shelf. Really chunky books oversized books including science and history bottom shelf. This is my go to home ed reference bookcase. Just the best stuff. I have left the testing books simply because they tend to be concise.

Dd has bookcases that are a mess. They represent what she has done schoolwise for the last three years with some shelves of to be read fiction for both of us. Ds has a bookcase of mainly programming manuals and math books.

I have a stash of craft books under the bed that is pretty extensive....projects that I have planned for the next ten years or so ;) the rest of these live in the garage.

Lots of books stored in storage boxes in the garage. All my Cookbooks are there. I keep copies of my favorite recipes in the house. I realised that I tend to google my unplanned recipe needs so the books were just taking up space that I didn't have, plus I find it really convenient to magnet my recipe to the frig as I cook.

• Like 11

Fans of Daphne Du Maurier might be interested in this article from BBC news ~

Did Daphne du Maurier predict Brexit?  by Rachael Thorn 

"Breaking apart from Europe, resentment towards Westminster elites, financial uncertainty - sound familiar? Back in 1972, before the UK had even joined the Common Market, Daphne du Maurier had anticipated it all in her novel Rule Britannia. So how much did she get right?..."

I saw mention of this article in the latest Word Wenches What We're Reading column.

Last night I finished the quite enjoyable Suddenly in Love (A Lake Haven Novel) by Julia London.  (Borrowed from the neighboring city's library, Laura.) 

"Mia Lassiter is thrilled to finally put her artistic skills to use working for her aunt’s interior design shop in her hometown of East Beach. While renovating an old mansion overlooking stunning Lake Haven, she encounters a scruffy but attractive man named Brennan—the owner’s son. She doesn’t realize this sexy recluse is actually Everett Alden, the world-famous rock star in hiding who’s nursing his own artistic and personal crises.

As their personalities clash, tension simmers between the struggling artist and jaded musician, and their time spent alone together in the gorgeous old house only serves to turn up the heat. Soon, Mia and Brennan’s creative passions boil over to inspire passions of another kind…

But reality comes crashing in when Mia’s celeb-obsessed cousin discovers Brennan’s true identity—and reveals it to the world. As paparazzi swarm the mansion, Brennan is thrust back into his rock star lifestyle. Will Mia lose her soul mate just when she’s finally found him? Can their love survive the glaring spotlight?"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

I live in a one story "modern" house with lots of angles and wide hallways.  Our living room/computer room is essentially one room, divided by a couch.  The living room has the music bookcase--music books, sheet music and one shelf containing many, many years of Sing Out!, the folk song magazine.  For some strange reason, we have decided that Mary Roach books should live with the music books.  :confused1:

The "computer room" houses fiction sans mysteries and sci fi, all alphabetized by author, as well as a selection of "coffee table" volumes, art books, etc.

The hallway from the front door to the back of the house has the bookcase containing my father's Great Book collection as well as my husband's father's vintage sci fi books.  (The Hall of the Fathers?)

The dining room has a book case containing cookbooks and homebrewing books.

The hallway to the bedroom area has nature guides, craft books and photography books (as well as the computer printer and its ancillary stuff, i.e. paper and ink.)

The master bedroom has the mystery collection (mine), the rest of the sci fi books (my husband's), math, philosophy and history.  Travel guides too. We are talking about three large bookcases and still the dusties spill out.

The spare room has a bookcase with the graphic novels and comics (mostly my husband's) as well as some things that just don't seem to fit in elsewhere.  There is another bookcase which still has homeschool stuff that has not found the appropriate home.  (Be afraid, people.  I send this stuff out periodically.) That bookcase though now has more Rubbermaid shoe boxes containing craft tidbits and fabric scraps. 

My son has a large bookcase in his now unoccupied room.

The joke concerning my inlaw's home was that one could knock down the walls.  The books would hold up the ceiling.

We have two lovely antique bookcases from my inlaw's home including one that is mahogany inlay. 

• Like 13

I organize my books loosely by subject and sub-topic, so a bookcase for science with Astronomy on one shelf, Biology on one shelf, etc.  Fiction is alphabetical by author.  Except.... everyone has a small bookcase in his or her room for personal favorites, and what I'm currently reading is stacked all over, some by the bed, some in the bathroom, some in the car.  And ... there's one big bookcase whose subject would have to be "books I have recently acquired and don't know where to put yet"...

I do keep library books in one place, so they don't get mixed with my own, and every purchased book is cataloged on librarything as it's taken out of the bag.  (DH was tired of my accidental duplicates.)

• Like 9

Historical fiction, anyone?  This title is currently free for Kindle readers: 

The Guardian of Secrets  by Jana Petken

"This is a must-read for historical fiction fans" BlueInk Reviews.

"A suspenseful, Compelling Historical Fiction" Kirkus Reviews

"After fleeing from an abusive husband accused of murder, Celia Merrill becomes embroiled in a Spanish Civil War.

Celia’s two sons march under opposing banners, whilst her twin daughters take different paths; one to the Catholic Church and the other to the battlefields. And in the shadow of war, a sinister villain from the past resurfaces.

Three generations struggle in this suspenseful and compelling saga, which begins in 1912, Kent, England, and ends during the 1936-39 Spanish Civil War."

Cozy mysteries?  Leighann Dobbs Cozy Mystery Collection  by Leighann Dobbs

Over 570 Pages - 4 Full Novels - Loaded With Humor, Mystery, Cats And Just A Touch Of Romance.

ALSO   A Death in Duck: Lindsay Harding Cozy...  by Mindy Quigley

"With the new year approaching, hospital chaplain Lindsay Harding heads for a much-needed break in the peaceful resort town of Duck on North Carolina’s Outer Banks. Her plan to attend the wedding of her friend Anna runs aground when a boatload of trouble washes ashore, and as the old year ticks down, the body count goes up. Thrust into the path of an increasingly desperate killer, Lindsay must uncover a sinister secret before she winds up swimming with the fishes."

Not quite sure how to categorize this one (sports, LGBT) ~  The Foxhole Court (All for the Game Book 1)   by Nora Sakavic

"Neil Josten is the newest addition to the Palmetto State University Exy team. He's short, he's fast, he's got a ton of potential—and he's the runaway son of the murderous crime lord known as The Butcher.

Signing a contract with the PSU Foxes is the last thing a guy like Neil should do. The team is high profile and he doesn't need sports crews broadcasting pictures of his face around the nation. His lies will hold up only so long under this kind of scrutiny and the truth will get him killed.

But Neil's not the only one with secrets on the team. One of Neil's new teammates is a friend from his old life, and Neil can't walk away from him a second time. Neil has survived the last eight years by running. Maybe he's finally found someone and something worth fighting for."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

Ahhh, I love reading about how everyone organizes their books!  It makes me feel at home, part of a family.  I'm picturing everyone's books and houses as I read the posts. These are all houses I'd like to visit and people I'd like to sit and chat with.  People in my world make me feel weird for reading so much and having so many books.  But you all make me realize that I'm not alone! It only feels like too many books when you have to box them up and move them . . . somewhere.  More than once, because there isn't any one place in the tiny house or shed big enough to hold them all.

• Like 12

I've been reading The Complete Stories of Flannery O'Connor, but I can only read one story per day, as I have to chew on them a good long while before I have even a hope of figuring them out. I do really like Flannery O'Connor, but her stories remind me of being hit over the head with the flat of an axe - what just happened to me??? And then I have to spend some time dazed and thinking.

I took a break this week and read The Woman in Cabin 10, which I actually did finish. I had a discount code for Book of the Month club and so I broke down and signed up and it was one of the August choices. It was ok, the last third much better than the first two. The prose was just workable, but I gave the book bonus points for the echoes of Agatha Christie. The plot centers on a murder that occurs on a posh ocean liner. It's the girl in Cabin 10- except there is no girl in Cabin 10. Three-ish stars. The September books come out tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to seeing what the choices are.

As for organizing our books... Well, I try. We do buy and keep a lot of books (for 11 people), but we have now officially run out of bookshelf space. A new IKEA is supposed to open nearby in the next few months, and then maybe we will be able to switch out some of these short bookcases for floor to ceiling hacks.

I sort the kids' books by subject and topic, although they all have their own books in their rooms, too, and those are organized (or not) however they like. (My dd has an entire bookcase of bird books.) My books are kind of tucked in here and there wherever they will fit. If they won't fit, they're in a box at the foot of my bed. I do try to purge books at least once a year, but it's hard for me to give away a book that I think *someone* may want to read some day... My Dh has a bookcase in our bedroom of his books, mostly finance and business related because that's 98% of what he reads.

My cookbooks are (sadly) in the computer room because I still can't fit them in the kitchen, even though we remodeled. They are in the gardening-homesteading- cooking bookcase. I have to go through them mercilessly every year because I am always collecting new ones and yet the bookcase is not getting any bigger. That bookcase is next to the homeschooling/education bookcase, and it's not getting any bigger either. I just bought TWTM 4 and am wondering how it is going to wedge in with the other 3. [emoji15]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelaboord
  • Like 11

We have books in every room of the house except the back porch, which is not heated.  I actually had to reinforce the floors of the main level of this very old house to ensure my living room book wall wouldn't, you know, sink the floor.  Sure books can be walls...but only if there's a foundation or a wall under them :lol:

Interesting as we transition to electronic reads, isn't it?  I don't buy books so my kindle's merely a temporary storage device; no need for folders there!  I can't imagine a future where books aren't a feature.

This long weekend, coincidentally, has book-moving on the agenda.  We're switching dd's bedroom with another, larger bedroom.  Oh people!  This means we'll have to decommission her picture books!  :sad: And less sadly, last year's relevant homeschool stuff needs to move to the basement shelves to make room for this year's focus. 

So I have a beef.  Hubs likes the books flush with the edge of the shelf.  I like them 4-5" back, the better to store tchotchke and pictures.  We compromise but sometimes if I go away, he makes them flush and hides the stuff.  (Don't worry, I get back at him.)

• Like 12

Wait, you can create folders?

Yep. I have numerous folders. I can't remember how I did it though, so maybe someone can chime in.

As to book organization in our house... It's a disaster! We have six bookcases in our living room. Three tall bookcases are taken up with books related to birding (and there are another 150 books on that subject sitting at my spouse's work office - still in boxes). Another bookcase is taken up with first editions (old ones). The 5th bookcase is a combination of naturalist type books and political books. I can't remember the 6th without looking. Unfortunately, a whole lot of miscellaneous items are in with the books. 

The dining room holds this year's homeschool books (well, actually, last year's as I still have to make the switch). The family room has other homeschool resources. We really have to downsize what DS has outgrown (only child). DS has two bookshelves in his room and one in the old play room.

The study has two bookcases full of theology, ethics, and history; a built in bookshelf with Spanish and Latin books; and a bookshelf devoted to labor union history and economics. Our bedroom has more theology and fiction. The guest room has more fiction. Then the art room/drum room has more boxes of books.

Within the next couple of years, we'll be downsizing to a condo. Somehow, between now and then, we have to lower our book count.  :ack2:

Are we really having a conversation about organizing books without pictures?!? *chuckle* BaWers, don't we want to see shelves?

I organize fiction alphabetically by author, and after trying a number of different ideas, that's now how I organize my non-fiction. I used to try to cluster subjects; I even toyed with organizing the library like a library. But this has been working, and it plays into my preference to "read at whim." I have bookcases dedicated to special collections: Shakespeare, Vonnegut, Joyce Carol Oates, the remnants of my Arthurian lit obsession, poetry, etc. I have a spine book shelf for the NYRB titles. I still keep some special picture books and about four shelves of YA fiction.

General fiction begins in this room.

image3.jpeg?w=640&h=480

It wraps around here, and in this image you can see the spine shelving with the NYRB titles.

fullsizerender4.jpg

And concludes in the piano room, where non-fiction begins...

005.jpg?w=550

img_0103.jpg?w=640

and then wends down the hall and into the girl cave. The girl cave (not pictured) is also home to the YA and picture books, my graphic novel and comic collection, our scarily large sheet music and music book library, the encyclopedias (we will not part company), and many of my daughters' books. (They also keep part of their personal collections in their bedroom.)

img_0071.jpg?w=640

The special collections I mentioned (Shakespeare, etc.) are on the oldest bookcases in the house, which are in my bedroom.

image4.jpeg?w=640

Edited by M--
  • Like 18

M--, your library makes me drool!  I swear that this is the room I fantasize about living in.  Just that one room.  Well, ok, maybe I need a bathroom too, but that's it.  :)

Heck, it makes *me* drool. *chuckle* I am fortunate to have been able to indulge my, ahem, acquisition habit and to be able to house it.

I came across an image from after we first moved in than may better show how the collection continues into the piano room and then down the hall.

dsc_0057.jpg?w=640

Edited by M--
  • Like 14

M - I must ask, what kind of bookcases are they? Custom-built, IKEA, or?? I'm trying to convince my husband that we can do something similar, but I don't know if our hallway is wide enough! I might just have to settle for the TV wall. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 7

Wait, you can create folders?

They're called collections but I call them folders because that's how I think of them. I'm trying to teach myself to stop calling them folders. Collections really makes more sense since you can't put one book let alone several, in a folder. :)

I have a Paperwhite and before that I had a Kindle Keyboard (also called the Kindle 3). It works for the e-ink Kindles but I don't know if you can do it on a Fire (and don't remember what you have). You have to make the collections from the device. It's possible there's been an update I don't know about, but I'm pretty sure you can't do it from the Amazon site. The collections of the default device will show up on other devices. Dh never sorts by collection because he doesn't use it and we rarely read the same books. You can sort by collections in addition to the usual recent, author, or title. 

Definitely!  Feel free to share your labels. 

My titles just float freely in the cloud apart from those luck 530 which have gained a place on the physical Kindle.

Regards,

Kareni

I had to go look at my collections, and even though I've had a Kindle for 5 years now I still haven't perfected my system. I tweak it often, just as I did with physical books on a bookshelf. 

The ones I use most are Currently Reading, Book Clubs (I include BaW, Goodreads groups, and my IRL book club), Biography/Memoir, Non-fiction, Classics, and Mysteries. I have more folders I should probably delete because I don't really need the extras. Each year I also make a new folder with books I want to read that year. Of course I might not have all the books yet that I want to read, but if I already own it and plan to read it I put it in the current year's folder. Obviously there's some overlap. Something might be in the book club, currently reading, and non-fiction collections for example. <----- Obviously that means you can put a book in more than one place. 

For a while I had collections of certain authors but I tend not to use them much. I keep my Jane Austen collection so I can easily find any of her novels I want to reread. I have a Henry James currently because I want to read more of his books, but I'll likely delete that one when I'm done. 

Most of my books stay in the cloud or on my hard drive in the Calibre program. Right now I only have 80 downloaded to my Kindle. When I finish a book I usually remove it right away so as not to clog up my view. If it's a book for my IRL book club I leave it on until after our meeting, so I can pull up any highlights or notes I made when we're discussing it. Dh leaves books on the device until I suggest he "clean up" his Kindle. ;)

• Like 8

Some bookish posts ~ You Can Go Home Again: The Transformative Joy Of Rereading by Juan Vidal

"Returning to a book you've read multiple times can feel like drinks with an old friend. There's a welcome familiarity — but also sometimes a slight suspicion that time has changed you both, and thus the relationship. But books don't change, people do. And that's what makes the act of rereading so rich and transformative..."

Everything Has Meaning In The Dream World Of 'Vellitt Boe' by Amal El-Mohtar

"I write this as if surfacing from deep water, or looking up to find a bright world dimmed around me. I have just put down The Dream-Quest of Vellitt Boe and it is dark outside, a rush of wind constant as surf, and I find myself wondering if the stars will be uncountable millions or if there will be only ninety-seven of them studding a thickly textured sky.

In the world of Vellitt Boe everything has meaning, from the numbered stars to visions in flame. Everything is subject to the whims of petty gods, loving, warring, razing whole nations for a lark. In this shifting, inconstant, changeable place, Boe is Professor of Mathematics at Ulthar Women's College, a prestigious but precariously positioned school, the success of which depends on its students and faculty being discreet, capable, and knowing their place. Clarie Jurat is Vellitt's best pupil, and also, as it happens, the grand-daughter of a sleeping god; when she runs away with a dreamer from the waking world, she risks bringing his wrath down on Ulthar and everything bordering it. Vellitt Boe — 55 years old and certain her adventure-laden travelling days are behind her — must find Clarie and bring her back before disaster strikes her chosen home...."

Regards.

Kareni

• Like 8

Everything Has Meaning In The Dream World Of 'Vellitt Boe' by Amal El-Mohtar

"I write this as if surfacing from deep water, or looking up to find a bright world dimmed around me. I have just put down The Dream-Quest of Vellitt Boe and it is dark outside, a rush of wind constant as surf, and I find myself wondering if the stars will be uncountable millions or if there will be only ninety-seven of them studding a thickly textured sky.

In the world of Vellitt Boe everything has meaning, from the numbered stars to visions in flame. Everything is subject to the whims of petty gods, loving, warring, razing whole nations for a lark. In this shifting, inconstant, changeable place, Boe is Professor of Mathematics at Ulthar Women's College, a prestigious but precariously positioned school, the success of which depends on its students and faculty being discreet, capable, and knowing their place. Clarie Jurat is Vellitt's best pupil, and also, as it happens, the grand-daughter of a sleeping god; when she runs away with a dreamer from the waking world, she risks bringing his wrath down on Ulthar and everything bordering it. Vellitt Boe — 55 years old and certain her adventure-laden travelling days are behind her — must find Clarie and bring her back before disaster strikes her chosen home...."

That looks really good. And even though I rarely read ebooks, it's just $2.99 for the nook or kindle version, so I just downloaded a copy.

• Like 6

Here's a bookish mug.

Free books offered to Londoners in police custody

"A new scheme that offers books to prisoners in police custody has started in London.

Books in the Nick was dreamed up by Metropolitan police special constable Steve Whitmore, after he arrested an 18-year-old on suspicion of assault and possession of drugs earlier this year. The teenager asked Whitmore if he could borrow a book to read while he was in custody, but the special constable could not find anything that would have been of interest to the young man.

“The range and type of books available didn’t appeal to him, so I offered him my own book, The Catcher in the Rye, and told him to keep it,†said Whitmore. “The look on his face was amazing, his attitude and hostility towards me completely changed and it created common ground for us to talk about. He said he’d never been given a book before to own, and that really moved me.â€"

That line above made me sad.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 11

Regarding Everything Has Meaning In The Dream World Of 'Vellitt Boe' by Amal El-Mohtar:

That looks really good. And even though I rarely read ebooks, it's just $2.99 for the nook or kindle version, so I just downloaded a copy.

I hope you'll enjoy it.  (I'll admit I liked the fact that the heroine was 55 since that might be about how old I am.)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

Free books offered to Londoners in police custody

"A new scheme that offers books to prisoners in police custody has started in London.

Books in the Nick was dreamed up by Metropolitan police special constable Steve Whitmore, after he arrested an 18-year-old on suspicion of assault and possession of drugs earlier this year. The teenager asked Whitmore if he could borrow a book to read while he was in custody, but the special constable could not find anything that would have been of interest to the young man.

“The range and type of books available didn’t appeal to him, so I offered him my own book, The Catcher in the Rye, and told him to keep it,†said Whitmore. “The look on his face was amazing, his attitude and hostility towards me completely changed and it created common ground for us to talk about. He said he’d never been given a book before to own, and that really moved me.â€"

That line above made me sad.

Regards,

Kareni

What a fantastic idea. I hope it catches on in many places.

• Like 7