Menu

Anyone do okay on less sleep?

IfIOnly

Anyone else get fewer hours than the typical 8?

Ambien is giving me only giving 4 hours of sleep at night. It's better than the 2 I was getting, and I'm functioning okay with laying in bed and resting to get 8 hours and resting, but not napping, midday. I think I may be getting deeper sleep than I was used to, so that helps.

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain

I read the time release was costly but never checked the price. Paying OOP here. I should look into it more. Thanks. I did double my dose to 10 mg and that's what's giving me the 4.

Before I was getting 8 when Benadryl plus melatonin was working, but It was harder to get up, especially early, and I was groggy for hours. I also couldn't call asleep til midnight.

I can go to bed at 10 with the Ambien and get up early now, which feels like a miracle. I'm so thankful.

• Like 1

I get very little sleep.  I used to stress about it and it made me miserable.  Now I just accept it.  If I can, I take a power nap during the day - about 15 minutes or so - and that helps me think more clearly.  The lack of sleep definitely affects my quality of life, though.  

• Like 2

i would look into adrenal dysfunction/fatigue.

getting less sleep because that's how you are is one thing - you are getting less sleep because of a SLEEPING pill side effect.   tell your dr you still aren't getting enough.

2dd doesn't sleep much, and does fine.  but she NEVER slept much. not even as an infant. drove her college roommates nuts as she went to bed after them, and was up before them and still had tons of energy.

• Like 1

I don't do well with less than a solid eight hours, but everyone is different. If I felt ok on less sleep it wouldn't bother me if I slept less. But if I only sleep six, I usually wake up at 4 am and I can't be productive without waking up my family. That makes me feel like I'm wasting time. Then, I try to fall back asleep but I usually can't for a couple of hours, and by then it's time to get up. And I feel very tired for a few more hours, then in the afternoon after coffee wears off, and I'm exhausted by 7 pm. Otherwise I wouldn't care! :)

• Like 1

I pretty much need 8 - 10 hours of sleep on a semi-continuous basis or I don't function well. There are some nights I don't sleep much, for various reasons, but with regular exercise and no coffee after the morning, along with very little alcohol, things are working well. The more physical exercise or labour, I do the better I sleep. I was doing a lot of home renos and playing tennis this summer, and I slept well (in spite of the heat). 

I'm like you, though, that when I'm not sleeping I still stay in bed and rest. If I get up and do stuff, I'm a lot more tired in the day.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

I don't do well on little sleep. But sure 4 hours of deep sleep is better than 2. Don't they have an Ambian version that is a mix of fast/slow release?

I called my Dr. for a time release script. Hopefully she'll let me try it. I'm doing so much better going to bed at 10 pm every night and am waking up (alert and active!) before the kids now. I can't imagine how good I'd feel getting more than 4-5 hours of sleep. Thank you!

Interesting to read all of your replies. There aren't too many who can do well on less sleep! Has anyone heard that each hour of sleep you get before midnight counts as two? It's better and more restorative for your body, if I remember right.

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain

I just started trying to listen to autogenics before bed. I read an article that if you do it 3 times a day in a few months it's as effective for insomnia as meds. I'm willing to try. It's basically 8 minutes of self calming relaxation stuff. It feels very cheesy, but if it helps I'll try it. I found a free download when I googled autogenics.

• Like 1

When my health is normal, 7 hours seems best for me at my current age.  Use to be 8 hours.

However, I function on anywhere from 2 to 12 hours.  :P  Sometimes I don't have much choice.  My average over time is probably 5-6 hours.

• Like 1