Menu

Book a Week 2016 - BW34: Mini challenge - pick a book with color in the title

Robin M

Take a look here, Violet Crown.

Why thank you!

While HAL was finishing off the astronauts, I finished The Dud Avocado, which continued strong all the way through. Groucho Marx gave it an endorsement even. Back to Trollope, but I have moved another Elaine Dundy novel, The Old Man and Me, closer to the business end of my TBR shelf.

• Like 9

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading The Dud Avocado two years ago, I wrote:

The Dud Avocado was amusing--but then I might just have some Sally Jay in me. This is not a book for all readers but for people like me who sought travel, adventure and big city lights back in my 20s, it resonates. Not that I roamed Paris in an evening gown during the afternoons...

As I belated birthday gift to VC, I offer the following exchange from Evelyn Waugh's satire on the death industry, The Loved One, a book I finished last night:

"Through no wish of my own I have become the protagonist of a Jamesian problem.  Do you ever read any Henry James, Mr. Schultz?"

"You know I don't have the time for reading."

"You don't have to read much of him.  All his stories are about the same thing--American innocence and the European experience."

"Thinks he can outsmart us, does he?"

"James was the innocent American."

"Well, I've no time for guys running down their own folks."

"Oh, he doesn't run them down.  The stories are all tragedies one way or another."

"Well, I ain't got the time for tragedies neither. Take an end of this casket.  We've only half-an-hour before the pastor arrives."

The Love One was inspired by a trip Waugh made to Hollywood.  Certainly not as wonderful as Brideshead Revisited. 

I am fond of Waugh though. One of these days I need to read his Sword of Honor trilogy based on his WWII experiences.

• Like 8

After reading The Dud Avocado two years ago, I wrote:

As I belated birthday gift to VC, I offer the following exchange from Evelyn Waugh's satire on the death industry, The Loved One, a book I finished last night:

The Love One was inspired by a trip Waugh made to Hollywood. Certainly not as wonderful as Brideshead Revisited.

I am fond of Waugh though. One of these days I need to read his Sword of Honor trilogy based on his WWII experiences.

:) I spent my twenties deliberately seeking out a life of order and stability diametrically opposed to the heroine's. The ending didn't feel like a surprise at all as the true nature of her friends seemed inevitable to me; the only part of the novel I found intolerably weak was the Deus ex machina that extricated her unscathed from the very bad place she had worked throughout the story at getting herself into.

The Loved One is a little like Greene's Our Man in Havana, isn't it? - in its winning lightness from an author capable of much heavier writing. I keep meaning to read the Sword of Honor trilogy, too, but end up re-reading Brideshead instead.

• Like 7

A couple of bookish posts ~

Five Novels Written By Comic Book Creators by Paul Jenkins

and

Story Dogs recruit Lollipop helps primary school kids improve their reading skills by Carol Raabus

One of my favorite books this year has been Michelle Diener's science fiction romance Dark Horse.  Last night I finally succumbed and purchased the sequel, Dark Deeds (Class 5 Series Book 2) which I promptly read and enjoyed.  While the book could be read as a stand alone, I think this is a series best read in order.  The first book is my favorite to date, but the question now is how long will it be before I purchase book three.  This book would be appropriate for all readers.

Here is the book blurb ~

"Rescue might just be the death of her.

Far from home . . .
Fiona Russell has been snatched from Earth, imprisoned and used as slave labor, but nothing about her abduction makes sense. When she's rescued by the Grih, she realizes there's a much bigger game in play than she could ever have imagined, and she's right in the middle of it.

Far from safe . . .
Battleship captain Hal Vakeri is chasing down pirates when he stumbles across a woman abducted from Earth. She's the second one the Grih have found in two months, and her presence is potentially explosive in the Grih's ongoing negotiations with their enemies, the Tecran. The Tecran and the Grih are on the cusp of war, and Fiona might just tip the balance.

Far from done . . .
Fiona has had to bide her time while she's been a prisoner, pretending to be less than she is, but when the chance comes for her to forge her own destiny in the new world she's found herself in, she grabs it with both hands. After all, actions speak louder than words."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

I'm still reading Seabiscuit.  Neither sea nor biscuit is a color, unfortunately.  :P  I have passed the halfway mark, so there's light at the end of the tunnel.

My next read-aloud will probably be Little Women.  (Still no colors.)  Not sure but I may start that over the holiday weekend.

Our current audiobook is The War that Saved Me (middle school book selection).  Still no colors!  It's a little younger than the previous books, but interesting so far.

I can't even think of a quick read with a color in it.  I think I need some more coffee.

• Like 11

From NPR Books ~

Okay, Stacia, I may have found your next weird book. 

'The Hike' Turns Traditional Fairy Tales Inside Out  by Jason Sheehan

"You know what they don't make a lot of? Summer beach books for dudes.

I mean, okay. If you like crime novels, sure. There are always 10,000 of those slumping on the shelves. Military techno/spy WE-ONLY-HAVE-24-HOURS-TO-SAVE-THE-KENTUCKY-DERBY-FROM-ESKIMO-TERRORISTS!-style thrillers? Yeah, I guess there are some of those, too.

But what I'm saying here is that there aren't enough books with hovercrafts. With dwarf-fights. Books for guys who don't care about the specific technical details of the next generation of main battle tanks, but do have bad knees and softening guts, families, jobs, and the vague feeling that somewhere along the way we gave up something big that we didn't understand for a small victory we understand even less...."

And talking of race/color:

For The 'Oscars Of Romance,' Representation Matters by Sonali Dev

"In the romance world we love to say that the RITAs are the Oscars of romance — a fitting comparison not only in terms of prestige but also, unfortunately, in terms of representation. Out of the more than 90 RITA finalists this year, only five have protagonists who aren't white. The good — and bad news — is that this is actually an improvement over past years.

For all my unsatisfied hunger for diverse characters in books, I was somewhat nervous to start reading these; it's a pet peeve of mine when a character's major inner conflict is their racial heritage. Sure, it's hard to be seen as a perpetual Other when you're a minority. But somehow, I want us to skip ahead to the place where the only stories of people of color we get to read aren't about their, you know, color. So when I found that Theresa Romain's Secrets of a Scandalous Heiress had an Anglo-Indian hero, I knew I was heading into a personally sensitive territory as a reader...."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

From NPR Books ~

Okay, Stacia, I may have found your next weird book. 

'The Hike' Turns Traditional Fairy Tales Inside Out  by Jason Sheehan

"You know what they don't make a lot of? Summer beach books for dudes.

I mean, okay. If you like crime novels, sure. There are always 10,000 of those slumping on the shelves. Military techno/spy WE-ONLY-HAVE-24-HOURS-TO-SAVE-THE-KENTUCKY-DERBY-FROM-ESKIMO-TERRORISTS!-style thrillers? Yeah, I guess there are some of those, too.

But what I'm saying here is that there aren't enough books with hovercrafts. With dwarf-fights. Books for guys who don't care about the specific technical details of the next generation of main battle tanks, but do have bad knees and softening guts, families, jobs, and the vague feeling that somewhere along the way we gave up something big that we didn't understand for a small victory we understand even less...."

That looks great!

I will be visiting my sister soon & it looks like her library system has it, so I just texted her to see if she'll put it on hold for me. :thumbup1:

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 7

Some bookish pieces ~

From a fellow WTMer:

Are You Ready for Some Football (Books)?   by Nicole Mulhausen

and I may have posted this one before, but it's worth a re-read:

Maiming or Claiming?: On Writing in Books  by Nicole Mulhausen

Gloomy Think Pieces On Reading From 100+ Years Ago  by Ashley Bowen-Murphy

It seems that 13 is a magical number:

13 Books like Harry Potter for Adult Readers by DeAnna Janes

and

13 of the Best Dragons in Fantasy Fiction  by Mia Garcia

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

Enjoying The Prime Minister, the fifth of Trollope's Palliser series. He has a satisfyingly readable prose style that renders abstruse Victorian political infighting most entertaining.

Mr. Turnbull had disliked the Coalition from the beginning; but then Mr. Turnbull always disliked everything. He had so accustomed himself to wield the constitutional cat-of-nine-tails, that heaven will hardly be happy to him unless he be allowed to flog the cherubim.

• Like 9

Link should be https://www.goodreads.com/series/115052-the-women-of-the-real-downton-abbey

I finished Master and Commander on audiobook. I enjoyed it and will start working my way through the series, skipping the second per Jenn.

I am back to Rev Claire Ferguson's series by Julia Spencer Fleming.

I read a fluffy romantic suspense novel last night called Secret Sisters by Jayne Ann Krentz (also known as Jayne Castle) https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25203491-secret-sisters. I enjoyed it.

I've loved the Rev. Claire Ferguson series! I hope she is working on another book.

The Internet was not working today.  I felt like I was in time out.

There is Jane--misbehaving yet again.  Sigh.

Jane - Our internet was quirky this week too. It's been a busy week, but I finished House-Bound. It took me a while to get into it. The plot seemed weak and rather dull for the first half and then it picked up. I got hooked on the characters. I enjoyed Rose's theological musings and the perspective of WWII was unique. I wound up giving the book 5 stars!

Now off to read my book with a color in the title.

I've loved the Rev. Claire Ferguson series! I hope she is working on another book.

I am definitely hooked on this series. I am about a third of the way through number six. I spent a few minutes googling and found a comment from her saying she is working on the next one but that it is going slow. I read a spoiler and can see that wainting for the next book is going to be a irritating!

Have you tried the Kate Burkholer series yet? There are many similarities between these series both set in small towns with an unbelievable amount of violence. The latest for this series was recently released an is sitting in my stack.

I also have Stiletto which is the sequel to The Rook https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10836728-the-rook?ac=1&from_search=true which is one of my favourite books ever. It is good but I am having to go slow because I am still quilting pretty intensely for the quilt show. I finished my large quilt but decided to finish a quilt top I made several years ago also. So I listen to audiobooks while quilting and am still suffering from insomnia. I do read during the night but tend to pick things that don't require full concentration in case I manage to actually fall asleep. Kate Burkholder is too violent for insomnia reading,gives me weird dreams so haven't started it.

• Like 10

OT from books, but I figure the mystery lovers here will be interested....

A couple of months ago, my best friend mentioned getting me a mystery box subscription as a possibility for a birthday gift. I didn't really think about it, wasn't sure if it happened or not, & actually kind of forgot about it. Today, I had a box waiting on my porch & it was the first mystery box. :thumbup1:

Fortuitously, this friend's teen ds was doing a guy's game & pizza night (which included my ds) & my friend & her dh had invited me to come hang out & have pizza too. I carried over my new box & we parents ended up having our own fun game/mystery night (along w/ some help from their 11yo dd). We had a blast going through everything & solving the mystery. Together, I think we spent about 2 hours to solve it. Totally looking forward to a future one where we'll have another pizza & mystery night. (We had The Raven mystery tonight.) Recommended for something different to try if you're looking for a fun mystery game. https://mysteryexperiences.cratejoy.com/

That was an unexpected & very fun way to spend my Friday evening. I am so fortunate to have amazing, fun friends! :)

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 11

Quoting myself:

One of my favorite books this year has been Michelle Diener's science fiction romance Dark Horse.  Last night I finally succumbed and purchased the sequel, Dark Deeds (Class 5 Series Book 2) which I promptly read and enjoyed.  While the book could be read as a stand alone, I think this is a series best read in order.  The first book is my favorite to date, but the question now is how long will it be before I purchase book three

And the answer is "not very."  Earlier today I finished Michelle Diener's Dark Minds (Class 5 Series Book 3).  I enjoyed this book, but the first book in the series is by far my favorite.  This series is best read in order.  Here's the blurb for Dark Minds:

"The mind is the most powerful weapon of all . . .

Imogen Peters knows she's a pawn. She's been abducted from Earth, held prisoner, and abducted again. So when she gets a chance at freedom, she takes it with both hands, not realizing that doing so will turn her from pawn to kingmaker.

Captain Camlar Kalor expected to meet an Earth woman on his current mission, he just thought he'd be meeting her on Larga Ways, under the protection of his Battle Center colleague. Instead, he and Imogen are thrown together as prisoners in the hold of a Class 5 battleship. When he works out she's not the woman who sparked his mission, but another abductee, Cam realizes his investigation just got a lot more complicated, and the nations of the United Council just took a step closer to war.

Imogen's out of her depth in this crazy mind game playing out all around her, and she begins to understand her actions will have a massive impact on all the players. But she's good at mind games. She's been playing them since she was abducted. Guess they should have left her minding her own business back on Earth…"

I also read Ashley Gardner's The Alexandria Affair (Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries Book 11).

which I enjoyed.

"Captain Gabriel Lacey accompanies famous dandy Lucius Grenville to Egypt, a land that Lacey has long anticipated visiting. Lacey travels there for more than a simple holiday, however--James Denis has tasked him with finding an "object" from ancient Alexandria and procuring it, whatever the cost.

The task does not turn out to be so simple. Locating what Denis wants proves difficult, sending Lacey and Grenville exploring tombs down the Nile. Lacey must deal with treasure hunters, a shadow following him and his friends, murder, and missing his new family as he explores the exotic country he has so longed to see."

And I read Heart-Shaped Hack by Tracey Garvis Graves.  This book is the first of two books in a series, so I'm now interested in reading further.

"When Kate Watts abandoned her law career to open a food pantry in Northeast Minneapolis, she never dreamed it would be this difficult. Facing the heartbreaking prospect of turning hungry people away, she is grateful for the anonymous donations that begin appearing at the end of each month. Determined to identify and thank her secret benefactor, she launches a plan and catches Ian —a charismatic hacker with a Robin Hood complex—in the act.

Ian intrigues Kate in a way no man ever has. But after learning he’s snooped around on her personal computer, she demands retribution. Impressed with her tolerance and captivated by her spirit, he complies and begins to slowly charm his way past her defenses. Time spent with Ian is never boring, and Kate soon finds herself falling for the mysterious hacker.

But Ian has enemies and they’re growing restless. In the hacking world, exploiting a target’s weakness is paramount, and no price is too high to stop an attack. And when Kate learns exactly how much Ian has paid, she’ll discover just how strong her love is for the man who has hacked his way into her heart."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

I also read Ashley Gardner's The Alexandria Affair (Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries Book 11).

which I enjoyed.

"Captain Gabriel Lacey accompanies famous dandy Lucius Grenville to Egypt, a land that Lacey has long anticipated visiting. Lacey travels there for more than a simple holiday, however--James Denis has tasked him with finding an "object" from ancient Alexandria and procuring it, whatever the cost.

The task does not turn out to be so simple. Locating what Denis wants proves difficult, sending Lacey and Grenville exploring tombs down the Nile. Lacey must deal with treasure hunters, a shadow following him and his friends, murder, and missing his new family as he explores the exotic country he has so longed to see."

I'm reading book 6 (in which he meets his daughter--Covent Garden something-or-other), and she's been mentioning a possible trip to Egypt with Grenville for the past several books. It doesn't happen until book 11??????

• Like 8

I'm reading book 6 (in which he meets his daughter--Covent Garden something-or-other), and she's been mentioning a possible trip to Egypt with Grenville for the past several books. It doesn't happen until book 11??????

Yep, you'll have to wait!  But, hey, book 11 is out now, so you don't have to wait for several years as many of us did.  Happy reading! 

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

I recall that several here have read Marie Kondo's  The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up.  You might enjoy this article by Amy Eddings: A book purge has reawakened a love of books.

Some currently free Kindle books ~

Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth Book 1)  by Terry Goodkind

"Wizard's First Rule, the first novel by Terry Goodkind, was a phenomenon from the moment it was published by Tor Books in 1994, selling more than 100,000 copies in North America alone. It still sells more than 100,000 copies a year and has gone on to bestsellerdom in the United Kingdom and in more than twenty foreign translations as well as audiobook form.

It is now being developed as one of the most ambitious television miniseries of all time. Executive Producer Sam Raimi (director of the three Spider-Man movies), in collaboration with Disney/ABC, is creating a 22-episode adaptation of the book to be filmed in New Zealand.

Richard and Kahlan's story unfolds over ten more novels, collectively known as the Sword of Truth series, concluding with Confessor in 2007. Placing Goodkind in the elite club of #1 New York Times bestselling authors, the series has sold more than twenty million copies to date worldwide.

In Wizard's First Rule, Goodkind introduced the world to an ordinary forest guide, Richard Cypher, and the mysterious, powerful woman he comes to love, Kahlan Amnell. Learning his true identity, Richard accepts his destiny as the one man who can stop the bloodthirsty tyrant Darken Rahl. Hunted relentlessly, betrayed and alone, Kahlan calls upon Richard to reach beyond his sword and invoke something more noble within himself as the final confrontation with Darken Rahl looms.

The importance of Wizard's First Rule is sourced in Goodkind taking on the toughest of all literary challenges: to tell an electrifying story of action, violence, and adventure that also makes people think, and that would influence the choices and actions of its readers.

Years after reading Wizard's First Rule, Goodkind fans still ask themselves, "What would Richard do?" when confronted with life's obstacles and challenges. "Your life is yours alone," Richard says at a key moment. "Rise up and live it.""

and

book four in the same series:

Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4) by Terry Goodkind

and a romantic comedy ~ Blissed (Misfit Brides Book 1)  by Jamie Farrell

"An out-of-place single mother and a thrill-seeking widower collide in the Wedding Capital of the Midwest!

Natalie Castellano didn't have the wedded bliss experience typical of her hometown, but that won't stop her from ensuring this year's bridal festival goes off without a hitch. Even if it means she has to play nice with the man who broke her fairy tale.

World adventurer and reluctant local hero CJ Blue doesn't want to be in Bliss anymore than Natalie wants him here. But family obligations have brought him back, and now, Natalie is using every trick she has to rope him into helping save a tradition he'd rather forget.

Despite their rocky past, these two wounded souls have more in common than they expect. They've both loved and lost, they've both tried to move on, and now they've both locked up their hearts. But by joining forces for the sake of Bliss, they might find the courage to risk love one more time."

ETA: One more: this is a cozy mystery ~ 

"Stella Reynolds is new to the job, new to the state, and new to making mistakes in front of thousands of people, but that’s exactly what she signs up for when she takes a job as a TV reporter in the mountains of Bozeman, Montana. Being on live TV in a small town has never been so funny, until Stella covers the town’s first murders in years.

When the prime suspect’s girlfriend enlists Stella to help clear his name, she uncovers another shocking crime that could expose a handful of powerful insiders.

Who is honest, who can’t be trusted, and who committed the murders? Stella is on a tight deadline to find out. Can she help free an innocent man, or will the real culprit get away with murder?"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

OT from books, but I figure the mystery lovers here will be interested....

A couple of months ago, my best friend mentioned getting me a mystery box subscription as a possibility for a birthday gift. I didn't really think about it, wasn't sure if it happened or not, & actually kind of forgot about it. Today, I had a box waiting on my porch & it was the first mystery box. :thumbup1:

Fortuitously, this friend's teen ds was doing a guy's game & pizza night (which included my ds) & my friend & her dh had invited me to come hang out & have pizza too. I carried over my new box & we parents ended up having our own fun game/mystery night (along w/ some help from their 11yo dd). We had a blast going through everything & solving the mystery. Together, I think we spent about 2 hours to solve it. Totally looking forward to a future one where we'll have another pizza & mystery night. (We had The Raven mystery tonight.) Recommended for something different to try if you're looking for a fun mystery game. https://mysteryexperiences.cratejoy.com/

That was an unexpected & very fun way to spend my Friday evening. I am so fortunate to have amazing, fun friends! :)

What a great present!!! Glad you had a great night out with friends while your ds had his night out.

I read Stiletto for quite awhile last night. It's long almost 600 pages.

I just downloaded a novella that I have been looking forward to reading by Anna Lee Huber. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26177709-a-pressing-engagement Planning to read this later today!

• Like 7

I thought I would mention that my 12yo science lover has just finished the Accelerati trilogy by Neal Shusterman and says it was "okay." That is his code for I really liked it but I'm too cool to get excited. The fact that he sought out the books so he could read them all says more. It includes Tesla's attic, Edison's Alley, and Hawking's Hallway. He described the last one as challenging. It has a time travel paradox. Caveat-I have not read them.

• Like 11

Have you tried the Kate Burkholer series yet? There are many similarities between these series both set in small towns with an unbelievable amount of violence. The latest for this series was recently released an is sitting in my stack.

I haven't yet, but it is on my really long TBR list!

Anna Lee Huber has a list of her favorite reads that might interest you, mumto2 ~

Book Recommendations

Regards,

Kareni

Thank you for the link. I bookmarked it and need to start looking for the series I haven't read. Most of my favourites are included so hopefully I will enjoy the others also.

Amy needs to look at the list too!

I just bought myself a cheap cd player from Wal-Mart so I can continue to crochet and listen to more audio books from the library. Current selection: My Name is Lucy Barton.

Another convert! :lol: I can't believe how many books I have listened to while crafting recently.

• Like 7

Embarrassment is letting your 17 year old son use your computer and discovering he is using your twitter account to talk to Putin and Donald Trump.  :leaving:

I'll let you know if the men in black show up on my doorstep.   :svengo:

• Like 13

Rose -

I've been nosy and looked through your to-read list for books that are on there that I would also recommend.  Kinda move them up the priority list. 

The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins  (BONUS POINTS for color in the title!)

Time and Again by Jack Finney

Or just reread a bunch of Georgette Heyer books.  Wait.  Have I already recommended that at least five times?!?!

About a week ago we saw the BBC version of Women in White.

I alsways thought it was 'just' a novel. A romance.

I had no idea it was that thrilling...

DD liked it too :)

• Like 7

Embarrassment is letting your 17 year old son use your computer and discovering he is using your twitter account to talk to Putin and Donald Trump. :leaving:

I'll let you know if the men in black show up on my doorstep. :svengo:

Don't feel too bad, my 17yo checks some Russian news site almost every day. He says he wants a different spin on American news. Also, he bombs facebook with bad puns. When my 23yo son was that age, he was always checking books about weaponry and conspiracy theories out of the library. I was sure we would end up on somebody's list.

• Like 10