Menu

Book a Week 2016 - BW34: Mini challenge - pick a book with color in the title

Robin M

I looked through my basket of library books last night searching for a book with a color in its title.  I came across Silence Is Goldfish by Annabel Pitcher and read about a third of it (plus the end) before putting it aside.  It was an intriguing young adult story but didn't succeed in grabbing me at the time.  I did, however, successfully complete Trader Joe's most recent Fearless Flyer!

:lol:

• Like 8

I read The Remains of the Day years ago. I do not remember seeing Stevens as unsympathetic at all. I just saw him as a relatively tradition-bound person who cannot think outside the box. And with his trip, he was thinking outside the box (at least for him).

I read it before I really knew anything about being on the spectrum, so that angle never entered my mind.

Maybe it's my family or the area where I live, but I know plenty of people who are like Stevens in that they stick to one way, something traditional, & can't really understand others who are not the same way. I guess I'm saying that because he seemed like a normal person/character to me -- a human with good traits alongside flaws.

I don't know that I see him as unsympathetic as a character - I just thought my initial review came off as harsher and more unsympathetic than I maybe meant it to.  I think he's quite a sad character, a character of such pathos, because he seemed completely unable to grasp the emotional undercurrents around him, and even when he did have a sense that there was something emotional he should be responding to, he was completely unable to do so.  The scenes of his father's sickness and death were so unutterably sad.  The scene where Miss Kenton's aunt dies, and he realizes that he didn't wish her sympathy, so he goes back in presumably with the intention of doing so, but ends up berating her about some minor mistakes of a housemaid . . . ach, it was wrenching.  Infuriating, and so sad.  So yes, I think he was sympathetic for sure. But it seemed like it went so far beyond just being bound by tradition, there seemed to be something really broken in his ability to relate to others. Was this part of the class system and the training of a pre WWII English butler? Maybe. Maybe it's as simple as that, but it felt like there was more going on with him than that. His car trip was an opportunity for self-reflection and self-analysis, and in some ways he was able to do that accurately, but in reality I think he failed miserably - the closer he got to Cornwall the more he started to question the very thing that took him there, the idea that Miss Kenton wanted to return to Darlington. I just had the sense that the other characters would have described him so very differently than he thought of himself, and that gave the whole story such a sense of pathos.

Ok, clearly, I have way too much time on my hands to be thinking so much about the story! And clearly I found it very affecting. I just thought the effect it had on me seemed different from the effect at had on other reviewers (at least the goodreads reviews I read) and was kind of trying to check that with you guys. It's been enlightening, to me at least.  :tongue_smilie:

• Like 12

For your reading pleasure

Encyclopedia Blue - a history of what may be the world's most beloved color

Book Riots offering on Women in Translation 

The Interpstore's Color Book series

Melody Carson's YA True Color series

We are on a staycation this week since one of our fur baby's - Princess gracie  -  has an ear infection and we have to give her daily drops. It is also the week before 11th grade begins for James and John is helping me rework some of my lessons plans.  :tongue_smilie:   We are also celebrating both our 19th anniversary (today) and John's birthday on Thursday!    :party:

• Like 11

I'm listening to Something Fresh by Wodehouse. Can't handle anything more serious at the moment. 

Oh, I finally finished Love in the Time of Cholera last night. Glad to be done. I will fully admit to being thoroughly bored the entire book. I did not care one wit about any of the characters. Florentino flat out annoyed me. A lot. Get over it already. He is a disgusting person imo. Really did not like him. Can you tell?

You can see why I'm reading Wodehouse now. I need a cleanse.  

• Like 13

It's so funny to see books classified as sci-fi that I would have not thought about that way, lol. (Slaughterhouse-Five and 1Q84 for example.)

I guess I rarely think of books I'm reading as falling into that category.

It is funny, because I think of myself as a fan of fantasy & sci fi and that I read  a lot of it, but I guess I only like a very narrow slice. I start and abandon way more sci fi/fantasy books than any other genre. I don't like hard sci-fi, and I don't like high fantasy, usually.  OTOH, I really like speculative fiction, alt-history type stories, and post-apocalyptic/dystopian stories.  That's only a very small slice of the sci-fi pie, but it's where I spend most of my pleasure reading time.  Well, sometimes it's a pleasure.  :001_rolleyes:

• Like 8

I'm listening to Something Fresh by Wodehouse. Can't handle anything more serious at the moment. 

Oh, I finally finished Love in the Time of Cholera last night. Glad to be done. I will fully admit to being thoroughly bored the entire book. I did not care one wit about any of the characters. Florentino flat out annoyed me. A lot. Get over it already. He is a disgusting person imo. Really did not like him. Can you tell?

LOL!  I can't stand Florentino Arriza either, talk about an unsympathetic character!!  But I do love something about that book, it's hard to put my finger on.  Maybe how life continues to be robust and full of feeling throughout their lifespans? So many stories focus on the emotions and feelings of the young, or on one stage of life. 

Do you like One Hundred Years of Solitude?  I find that a totally boring book filled with horrible characters.  

• Like 8

Rose -

I've been nosy and looked through your to-read list for books that are on there that I would also recommend.  Kinda move them up the priority list. 

The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins  (BONUS POINTS for color in the title!)

Time and Again by Jack Finney

Or just reread a bunch of Georgette Heyer books.  Wait.  Have I already recommended that at least five times?!?!

Edited by aggieamy
  • Like 11

Very Good, Jeeves by PG Wodehouse

The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoki Ogawa

Also... Georgette Heyer. 

The Housekeeper and the Professor looks especially up my alley! I studied amnesiac patients in grad school, including HM, and I am always intrigued to read fiction involving amnesiacs - sometimes authors get it right, and sometimes they get it ludicrously wrong.

I think that I have read every single book Georgette Heyer has written, and I own about 75% of them. I'll definitely have to pull a few out of the box in the garage when I get home.

We're on our final day here at Orcas Island, and Shannon is sick, which is why I'm online so much today. We're supposed to visit my SILs in Eugene on the way home, so I'm hoping my honey feels better soon. Nothing worse than being sick on a long car ride.

• Like 9

Rose -

I've been nosy and looked through your to-read list for books that are on there that I would also recommend.  Kinda move them up the priority list. 

The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins  (BONUS POINTS for color in the title!)

Time and Again by Jack Finney

Or just reread a bunch of Georgette Heyer books.  Wait.  Have I already recommended that at least five times?!?!

Cool! I took Kathy's great idea and made a "Rose's Top 100" shelf this morning.  I think it's got 67 books on it right now, which gives me space to add a few more.  I included two recent-ish GH re-reads, The Grand Sophy and Venetia, which are two of my very favorites.

• Like 12

On a whim I picked up Maus by Art Spiegelman for my DH and reread it last night before he got a chance to pick it up.  I have read it before and he hadn't.  Such a powerful book.  So sad and so human.  The discussion on the unsympathetic main character seems so relevant to this book because it's a Holocaust survivor telling his story to his son as he writes a graphic novel of the story.  I find the father (the survivor) to be unlikable.  He's selfish and demanding and in some ways cruel to his family.  This is all just the backdrop for what he and his wife went through during WWII in Poland so we are rooting for the father as a young man all while seeing the person he became in old age.     

• Like 11

I finally finished The Beak of the Finch.  It was fantastic!! I highly recommend it to anyone who made it through The Voyage of the Beagle - or even if you didn't!  It is a fantastically written book (won a Pultizer) that details the scientists who studied Darwin's finches in the Galapagos in the 1970s & 80s.  So wonderful and inspiring. Its going on my new Top 100 shelf!

• Like 13

LOL!  I can't stand Florentino Arriza either, talk about an unsympathetic character!!  But I do love something about that book, it's hard to put my finger on.  Maybe how life continues to be robust and full of feeling throughout their lifespans? So many stories focus on the emotions and feelings of the young, or on one stage of life. 

Do you like One Hundred Years of Solitude?  I find that a totally boring book filled with horrible characters.  

I liked the daughter in-law and I my heart broke over that poor girl who he was supposed to be guardian to. Yeah, that man should be in jail. Romantic my butt. 

I have not read One Hundred Years and now I'm thinking I won't. 

I've decided to ask here because you all always have the best suggestions. When dh gets back he wants a family vacation. We were thinking Disney Cruise, but that is on the expensive side. So give me your suggestions for vacation with three kids (high school to 2nd grade) preferably in the US because the kids' passports have expired. 

Oh, I'm not interested in any other cruise line due to medical diet. Disney is the only cruise line I would take. Rose, Orcas Island looks perfect but a bit far to travel for us. 

So, anyone want to help me brainstorm vacation spot?

• Like 9

I finally finished The Beak of the Finch.  It was fantastic!! I highly recommend it to anyone who made it through The Voyage of the Beagle - or even if you didn't!  It is a fantastically written book (won a Pultizer) that details the scientists who studied Darwin's finches in the Galapagos in the 1970s & 80s.  So wonderful and inspiring. Its going on my new Top 100 shelf!

I found myself wishing I had been their daughter. 

• Like 11

Amy, my dear.  You really need to try Angela Thirkell, one of the favorite writers of Nan as well as yours truly.  Well written, amusing, Flufferton-ish. 

Our Man in Havanna is a fav, Onceuponatime.  I should read more Greene.

I should just read!  Wow--distractions galore these days!

• Like 14

:hurray:

I hated Love in the Time of Cholera & the people in it.  :ack2:  Well said!

(I can't say I loved One Hundred Years of Solitude, but I did enjoy it & am glad I read it.)

• Like 10

Mom-ninja, how are your kitties?

Trying to figure out why one is vomiting daily for over a month now. The other is doing well. So far he's able to urinate but in very small amounts. I still have to give him a  muscle relaxer to help with bladder spasms. 

Pets are stressful! I thought pets were supposed to help decrease stress. Isn't that what the studies say? Mine didn't read those studies. 

I can say that all the humans in the house have been healthy and injury free all summer. Unless you count sunburn.

• Like 9

We are back from a quick trip to Florida to see my FIL.  New things keeps cropping up every couple days but the most current is an infection of e-coli.  He was back in the hospital when we visited but improved over the few days we were there.  I'm glad we went.  I didn't want dh to have any regrets if things take a turn for the worse. It is probable that we will have to make another trip down as he will have a long road to recovery even once home. I am hoping now to turn some thoughts to planning Aly's 10th grade year and catching up on my other responsibilities.  

I did get the opportunity one of the days to just sit on the beach and read for a bit.  Dh and his sister were spending time with FIL, and I was on my own for a bit.  It was a much needed respite.  

Today I finished Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey by The Countess of Carnarvon.  What a gem of a book!  Dd's and I are fans of Downton Abbey, and I have been wanting to read this book for a while.  I found it at the Dollar Book Swap and saved it for our book club's "Non-fiction August."  I was totally blown away by how compelling this historical account was!  I'm not a huge fan of non-fiction and usually find it a chore to read.  This book totally grabbed me and pulled me in.  It did drag a little for me during the war years, but war is not my favorite thing to read about.  Not only was the information on Highclere Castle fascinating but I enjoyed the little tidbits that have been included into the Downton Abbey series.  The discovery of King Tut's tomb was a bonus, too!  I highly recommend this for fans of Downton Abbey who would like the "rest of the story."  

I'm having trouble deciding on what book to pick up next.  I have ones I want to read and some I should pre-read to see if I want to add them for Aly's school.  Really all I want to read is quick fluff!!  

• Like 13

Angela, how is Abby doing????

Abby is doing mostly well... Her heart seems to be healing nicely, but she just recently had a blip where both her eyes got infected. Children with Down Syndrome have very narrow sinuses and tear ducts that are prone to clogging, and hers did. She kept sticking her fingers in her eyes, so voila - infections in both eyes. She's on eye drops now and they're clearing up. Looks like dairy in the breastmilk may be part of the problem as far as too much mucus production goes, though. So now I'm dairy-free, gluten-free, and corn-free.

I've been trying to start easing us back into school this week, so most of my reading has been skimming through books for the kids. I skimmed two 12th grade religion books this weekend, settled down to read "The Tell-Tale Heart" and "Ransom of Red Chief" in preview for my 13 yo, and have been dabbling in John Muir Laws' Guide to Nature Drawing and Journaling. A neat book, and very comprehensive. Lots of step-by-step tutorials, which I like, plus really specific suggestions for materials. He gets bonus points for being dyslexic and having gotten involved in nature by two amateur naturalist parents and Scouting. My 13 yo is also dyslexic and an avid scout, so I have a soft spot. [emoji4] His illustrations are beautiful.

Happy anniversary to Robin!

And Angel, I am sorry to hear about your FIL. Rose, hope your dd feels better. (I also loved Beak of the Finch, but it's been so long since I read it!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelaboord
  • Like 13

On a whim I picked up Maus by Art Spiegelman for my DH and reread it last night before he got a chance to pick it up.  I have read it before and he hadn't.  Such a powerful book.  So sad and so human.

Isn't it amazing? I finally read it when trying to decide how to cover the Holocaust with my sensitive student, and was really happy to have something that would at once portray the horrors without itself being horrific. 

Ahem. Southern California is a fabulous vacation destination, though it is probably as far away from you as the Orcas Islands But -- what is it you want to do?  What defines vacation? A car trip and exploring? Hiking in the mountains? Exploring museums and cultural attractions in a city? Or a resort where you can relax and the kids can be entertained at the pool or the beach? I'll bet lots of wonderful places will be perfect for a visit in about 2 weeks when everybody is back to school. 

By the way -- I understand the frustration of having sick cats.  My "grand-cat" has some kind of kidney failure disease and ds has to give her I.V.s once a week or so!  Like a cat is going to put up with that! He was recently complaining (almost word for word) "They all said get a cat. They're easy. Low maintenance. I wind up having to give I.Vs and having to stuff pills down her throat."  

Right? What is up with that? We are empty nesters in charge of how we spend our time! 

Happy Anniversary to Robin and dh!

Glad to have the positive update on baby Abby. 

Hugs to Angel, and hopes your FIL has a smooth recovery.

Safe travels home, Rose! 

• Like 11

Angel, :grouphug:  to your & your family for your fil. Sounds like he has had a hard go of it. Hoping things improve for him from here on out....

Angela, glad to hear Abby's surgery recovery is good but poor girl getting the eye infection! And for you having to implement so many dietary changes amidst everything else. And you still homeschool & read. I'm beginning to think you're Superwoman! Hang in there & take care of yourself too!

Mom-ninja, :grouphug:  on your cat woes. I know how it goes. Sometimes, they are not stress-reducing. In 2013, I had three very sick cats & actually ended up getting caregiver burnout, I think. I was giving IVs, pills, making various vet visits, handling elder-care cat issues, etc.... And, Jenn, I feel for your ds. I had to give IVs to two of my cats. But, they were better for the IV fluids than for pills! It's tough having to handle furry friend health issues. I have two very elderly cats right now, as well as one middle-aged cat with diabetes. Between those three, we have various medical problems once in awhile. (And then we have two younger cats too.) For me it's stressful because they're family members too, so I worry about them, etc....

Anyway, :grouphug:  to all.

• Like 9

I liked the daughter in-law and I my heart broke over that poor girl who he was supposed to be guardian to. Yeah, that man should be in jail. Romantic my butt. 

I have not read One Hundred Years and now I'm thinking I won't. 

I've decided to ask here because you all always have the best suggestions. When dh gets back he wants a family vacation. We were thinking Disney Cruise, but that is on the expensive side. So give me your suggestions for vacation with three kids (high school to 2nd grade) preferably in the US because the kids' passports have expired. 

Oh, I'm not interested in any other cruise line due to medical diet. Disney is the only cruise line I would take. Rose, Orcas Island looks perfect but a bit far to travel for us. 

Rent a lake cabin in Minnesota.  It's not busy this time of year (except on the weekends) and the water is still warm enough to get in.  You can swim, canoe, read on the shore, hike, rent a ski boat, explore the little towns, fight mosquitoes, and just relax.  Some of the trees might start turning colors and it's just amazing.  

Amy, my dear.  You really need to try Angela Thirkell, one of the favorite writers of Nan as well as yours truly.  Well written, amusing, Flufferton-ish. 

Our Man in Havanna is a fav, Onceuponatime.  I should read more Greene.

My library doesn't have any of her books (or the Miss Julia books!) so I have ordered from Amazon.  I always feel like I'm getting a deal when I get a book for a 1 cent. 

I've been trying to start easing us back into school this week, so most of my reading has been skimming through books for the kids. I skimmed two 12th grade religion books this weekend, settled down to read "The Tell-Tale Heart" and "Ransom of Red Chief" in preview for my 13 yo, and have been dabbling in John Muir Laws' Guide to Nature Drawing and Journaling. A neat book, and very comprehensive. Lots of step-by-step tutorials, which I like, plus really specific suggestions for materials. He gets bonus points for being dyslexic and having gotten involved in nature by two amateur naturalist parents and Scouting. My 13 yo is also dyslexic and an avid scout, so I have a soft spot. [emoji4] His illustrations are beautiful.

This is one of those short stories that we read in middle school and to this day I remember how much I enjoyed it.  Maybe one of four I remember from school?  I know this group doesn't need me to make the argument for reading real stories instead of textbook stories for Language Arts but it's amazing how those stories can stick with you.

Anyone else have fond memories of some of the short stories read in school?

The other ones I remember are:

• The Lady and the Lion - although the fact that there is no ending makes me crazy to this day
  • Rikki Tikki Tavi
  • Something by Pearl Buck which I can't think of right now
  • Like 10

Isn't it amazing? I finally read it when trying to decide how to cover the Holocaust with my sensitive student, and was really happy to have something that would at once portray the horrors without itself being horrific. 

DH and I were just discussing if it would be appropriate for DD to read.  We're divided.  I think the parent/child conflict might be harder for her to understand than the Holocaust. 

I'm sorry about your cats. 

• Like 6

Abby is doing mostly well... Her heart seems to be healing nicely, but she just recently had a blip where both her eyes got infected. Children with Down Syndrome have very narrow sinuses and tear ducts that are prone to clogging, and hers did. She kept sticking her fingers in her eyes, so voila - infections in both eyes. She's on eye drops now and they're clearing up. Looks like dairy in the breastmilk may be part of the problem as far as too much mucus production goes, though. So now I'm dairy-free, gluten-free, and corn-free.

That's a lot going on.  I did Whole 30 with some friends last month and was amazed at all the sneaky ways people added corn to things and how limiting gluten was.  It gave me a lot of sympathy for you ladies with dietary restrictions.  It was exhausting doing it for a month and knowing that I just had to make it to day 30.  I wish food labels were easier to read and understand for your sake. 

• Like 8

Good morning, all.

I want to start this day by wishing everyone well.  Happy anniversary to Robin!  Sending good health vibes to those who need a boost.

And I agree with Stacia that Angela is Superwoman!  Thanks for the Abby update. We will all keep holding her in the light.

And off I go for an early morning bike ride...

• Like 8

I also agree that Angela is supermom. So glad Abby is continuing to improve from her surgery. The breastmilk /baby food allergy connection is so frustrating since it can take 3 weeks to know if you got it right. :grouphug:

Angel :grouphug: Glad to have you back with us! I loved the real Downton book(s)......there are two!

Mom Ninja.....Lots of vacation rentals in Gatlinburg and Hilton Head. Glad your dh will be home soon.

Amy, This won't surprise you since you now know Dh. Lots of conflict here over books depicting the unpleasant parts of history with my kids in the middle.

• Like 8

Happy anniversary to Robin!

And Angel, I am sorry to hear about your FIL. Rose, hope your dd feels better. (I also loved Beak of the Finch, but it's been so long since I read it!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ahem. Southern California is a fabulous vacation destination, though it is probably as far away from you as the Orcas Islands But -- what is it you want to do?  What defines vacation? A car trip and exploring? Hiking in the mountains? Exploring museums and cultural attractions in a city? Or a resort where you can relax and the kids can be entertained at the pool or the beach? I'll bet lots of wonderful places will be perfect for a visit in about 2 weeks when everybody is back to school. 

By the way -- I understand the frustration of having sick cats.  My "grand-cat" has some kind of kidney failure disease and ds has to give her I.V.s once a week or so!  Like a cat is going to put up with that! He was recently complaining (almost word for word) "They all said get a cat. They're easy. Low maintenance. I wind up having to give I.Vs and having to stuff pills down her throat."  

Not a car trip. Two out of three kids get car sick. Sadly, no to museums and cultural attractions at this time. My youngest is 7 and wants action not places he has to be quiet and not run. Anything else is a go. 

And yes, right now my cats are high maintenance while my huge dog is the easy one. I know that can change at any time. 

Angel, it is hard when you have to eliminate food for baby's sake. Just remind yourself it's not forever. A friend of mine was down to eating turkey, chicken, and rice before they found out what her baby was sensitive to. Now that he is older he has outgrown all his food issues. Gluten can be tricky because you have to look for malt and barley hidden in foods. Maltodextrin could be wheat or corn so look out for that. 

My P.G. Wodehouse audio book expired last night. Now I have to put it on hold. So sad. 

• Like 9

Stayed up last night to finish Pym, the satirical take on racism and Poe's Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym. What a whacky fun ride that was! Loved the biting satire, thought it bogged down in the middle when it just got weird, but enjoyed the even weirder twist it took on the way to the end. It is a smart and sly work with the superficial weirdness lightly covering a deep and complex social commentary.  The more I sit here thinking about it this morning, the more I appreciate it, and the more I appreciate the books you ladies introduce to me.

Time to warm up the coffee and start doing Useful Things.

• Like 9

Thanks for all the well wishes for FIL!  It's appreciated!

Angela - Eye infections are horrible!  I had one child who I practically had to sit on to get the drops in her eyes...and she was my easy, compliant child.  Good luck on the dietary changes!  The first week is rough! but it gets better!

Angel :grouphug: Glad to have you back with us! I loved the real Downton book(s)......there are two!

Which other book are you talking about?  Below Stairs?  If so, I read that a couple years ago.  If not, enquiring minds want to know ;)

• Like 8

Which other book are you talking about? Below Stairs? If so, I read that a couple years ago. If not, enquiring minds want to know ;)

She wrote two books https://www.goodreads.com/series/115052-the-women-of-the-real-downton-abbey. I just looked at my ratings and I see I loved the first but was pretty ambivalent about the second.

Eta link should be https://www.goodreads.com/series/115052-the-women-of-the-real-downton-abbey

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 5

Literary gift! For Borges' birthday, Middle Girl gave me a hand-lettered, hand-illuminated parchment of the first sentence of Chaucer's General Prologue, which we've been studying. She made the ink in the medieval fashion, from ground oak galls and gum arabic. It's beautiful and must be promptly framed.

• Like 12

Literary gift! For Borges' birthday, Middle Girl gave me a hand-lettered, hand-illuminated parchment of the first sentence of Chaucer's General Prologue, which we've been studying. She made the ink in the medieval fashion, from ground oak galls and gum arabic. It's beautiful and must be promptly framed.

That sounds fantastic.  I'd love to see a picture!

:D For my birthday they are all going to see 2001: A Space Odyssey in our fancy big-screen theater, while I stay home and read my book & don't prep lessons.

Happy Birthday!  I feel like not having to go see a movie is a gift these days too.  :)

• Like 10

Fantastic! Also asking for a photo if possible.

:D For my birthday they are all going to see 2001: A Space Odyssey in our fancy big-screen theater, while I stay home and read my book & don't prep lessons.

I love this movie so going would be a birthday present for me, especially if it's the 70mm print. But I agree, staying home while everyone else is out is also a wonderful gift as well. Enjoy your reading!

• Like 9

She wrote two books https://www.goodreads.com/series/115052-the-women-of-the-real-downton-abbey. I just looked at my ratings and I see I loved the first but was pretty ambivalent about the second.

Link didn't work!

Happy Birthday!

• Like 8

41. "The Out-of-Sync Child Grows Up" by Carol Stock Kranowitz.  Lots of interviews with teens and young adults about growing up with SPD.  Very encouraging, as most are fully functional adults.  I need to hear that once in a while.

40. "Look Me in the Eye: my life with asperger's" by John Elder Robison.

39. "The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History" by Thomas E. Woods.

38. "A Buffet of Sensory Interventions: Solutions for Middle and High School Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders" by Susan Culp. 

37. "Thinking in Pictures" by Temple Grandin.

36. "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child" by Jack Thorne, et al

35. "The Wizard of Oz" by Frank Baum. 

34. "Adventures of Tom Sawyer" by Mark Twain.  (We listened as we traveled in Missouri!)

33. "Blue Fairy Book" by Andrew Lang.

32. "Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing" by Judy Blume.

31. "Greenwich" by Susan Cooper.

30. "Dark is Rising" by Susan Cooper.

29. "Clash of Cultures" by Christopher and James Lincoln Collier.

28. "The Story of US: First Americans" by Joy Hakim.

27. "Freak the Mighty" by Rodman Philbrick. 

26. "The Mouse and the Motorcycle" by Beverly Cleary.

25."Caddie Woodlawn" by Carol Ryrie Brink.

24. "Frightful's Mountain" by Jean Craighead George.

23.  "The Power of Vulnerability" by Brene Brown.

22.  "My side of the Mountain" by Jean Craighead George.

21. "Cheaper By the Dozen" by Frank Butler Gilbreth, Jr. and Ernestine Gilbreth Carey.

20. "Murder on the Ballarat Train" by Kerry Greenwood.

19. "Over See, Under Stone" by Susan Cooper

18. "Sing Down the Moon" by Scott O'Dell.

17. "Soft Rain" by Cornelia Cornelissen.

16. "The Collapse of Parenting" by Leonard Sax.

15. ""Flying Too High: A Phyrne Fisher Mystery" by Kerry Greenwood.

14. "Cocaine Blues: A Phyrne Fisher Mystery" by Kerry Greenwood.

13. "Let It Go" by Chris Williams

12. "Writing From Personal Experience" by Nancy Davidoff Kelton.

11. "Writing the Memoir" by Judith Barrington.

10.  "Boys Adrift" by Leonard Sax.

9. "Girls on the Edge" by Leonard Sax.  

8. "Christ and the Inner Life" by Truman G. Madsen. (LDS)  

7. "Gaze into Heaven" by Marlene Bateman Sullivan. (LDS)

6. "To Heaven and Back" by Mary C. Neal, MD.

5. "When Will the Heaven Begin?" by Ally Breedlove.

4. "Four" by Virginia Roth.

3. "Allegiant" by Virgina Roth.

2. " Insurgent" by Virginia Roth.

1. "Divergent" by Virginia Roth.

• Like 13

Link didn't work!

Link should be https://www.goodreads.com/series/115052-the-women-of-the-real-downton-abbey

I finished Master and Commander on audiobook. I enjoyed it and will start working my way through the series, skipping the second per Jenn.

I am back to Rev Claire Ferguson's series by Julia Spencer Fleming.

I read a fluffy romantic suspense novel last night called Secret Sisters by Jayne Ann Krentz (also known as Jayne Castle) https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25203491-secret-sisters. I enjoyed it.

• Like 11

And finished one in the doctor's waiting room.  I spend entirely too much time there.

42. "Unsolved Mysteries of American History" by Paul Aron.

41. "The Out-of-Sync Child Grows Up" by Carol Stock Kranowitz. 

40. "Look Me in the Eye: my life with asperger's" by John Elder Robison.

39. "The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History" by Thomas E. Woods.

38. "A Buffet of Sensory Interventions: Solutions for Middle and High School Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders" by Susan Culp. 

37. "Thinking in Pictures" by Temple Grandin.

36. "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child" by Jack Thorne, et al

35. "The Wizard of Oz" by Frank Baum. 

34. "Adventures of Tom Sawyer" by Mark Twain.  (We listened as we traveled in Missouri!)

33. "Blue Fairy Book" by Andrew Lang.

32. "Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing" by Judy Blume.

31. "Greenwich" by Susan Cooper.

30. "Dark is Rising" by Susan Cooper.

29. "Clash of Cultures" by Christopher and James Lincoln Collier.

28. "The Story of US: First Americans" by Joy Hakim.

27. "Freak the Mighty" by Rodman Philbrick. 

26. "The Mouse and the Motorcycle" by Beverly Cleary.

25."Caddie Woodlawn" by Carol Ryrie Brink.

24. "Frightful's Mountain" by Jean Craighead George.

23.  "The Power of Vulnerability" by Brene Brown.

22.  "My side of the Mountain" by Jean Craighead George.

21. "Cheaper By the Dozen" by Frank Butler Gilbreth, Jr. and Ernestine Gilbreth Carey.

20. "Murder on the Ballarat Train" by Kerry Greenwood.

19. "Over See, Under Stone" by Susan Cooper

18. "Sing Down the Moon" by Scott O'Dell.

17. "Soft Rain" by Cornelia Cornelissen.

16. "The Collapse of Parenting" by Leonard Sax.

15. ""Flying Too High: A Phyrne Fisher Mystery" by Kerry Greenwood.

14. "Cocaine Blues: A Phyrne Fisher Mystery" by Kerry Greenwood.

13. "Let It Go" by Chris Williams

12. "Writing From Personal Experience" by Nancy Davidoff Kelton.

11. "Writing the Memoir" by Judith Barrington.

10.  "Boys Adrift" by Leonard Sax.

9. "Girls on the Edge" by Leonard Sax.  

8. "Christ and the Inner Life" by Truman G. Madsen. (LDS)  

7. "Gaze into Heaven" by Marlene Bateman Sullivan. (LDS)

6. "To Heaven and Back" by Mary C. Neal, MD.

5. "When Will the Heaven Begin?" by Ally Breedlove.

4. "Four" by Virginia Roth.

3. "Allegiant" by Virgina Roth.

2. " Insurgent" by Virginia Roth.

1. "Divergent" by Virginia Roth.

• Like 9

Take a look here, Violet Crown.

Last night I finished Duke of Sin (Maiden Lane)  by Elizabeth Hoyt  which is a Georgian (not Regency) historical romance.  I enjoyed it though it features an anti-hero rather than the traditional hero.  There is some adult content as well as mentions of disquieting past events such as rape and animal cruelty.

There is a very balanced review here ~ Duke of Sin by Elizabeth Hoyt - SBTB

"A MAN OF SIN

Devastatingly handsome. Vain. Unscrupulous. Valentine Napier, the Duke of Montgomery, is the man London whispers about in boudoirs and back alleys. A notorious rake and blackmailer, Montgomery has returned from exile, intent on seeking revenge on those who have wronged him. But what he finds in his own bedroom may lay waste to all his plans.

A WOMAN OF HONOR

Born a bastard, housekeeper Bridget Crumb is clever, bold, and fiercely loyal. When her aristocratic mother becomes the target of extortion, Bridget joins the Duke of Montgomery's household to search for the incriminating evidence-and uncovers something far more dangerous.

A SECRET THAT THREATENS TO DESTROY THEM BOTH

Astonished by the deceptively prim-and surprisingly witty-domestic spy in his chambers, Montgomery is intrigued. And try as she might, Bridget can't resist the slyly charming duke. Now as the two begin their treacherous game of cat and mouse, they soon realize that they both have secrets-and neither may be as nefarious-or as innocent-as they appear . . ."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8