Menu

Tizanadine? Tell me about it

Lady Florida.

I need a muscle relaxer for muscle spasms in my back. The whole point is to relieve the spasms and still be able to function. I've tried Flexeril but it knocks me out. I tried something else years ago that also knocked me out, but don't remember the name. I tried Robaxin and Skelaxin, both of which allow me to function normally but they also don't relieve my muscle spasms.

My doctor recently prescribed Tizanidine 2mg. capsules. I was all set to take one at night in case it made me tired but made the mistake of looking it up. I read about people who woke from a sound sleep with their hearts pounding. I read about it causing panic attacks. Though I haven't had one in a long time, I do get panic attacks so I don't want to take something that could cause one. I also read people said it knocked them out (though most of them were prescribed 4mg.).

Do you take it or have you taken it? If so, what was your experience. I'm thinking of calling the doctor's office to let them know my concerns and see where it goes from  there.

There is really no way to know how you are going to react until you take it yourself.  You have pretty much tried all the muscle relaxers available, so I would definitely give it a try. Muscle relaxers don't really do much unfortunately. I would take the first thing this morning when you are the freshest for the day, and you will be able to push past any side effects. Or take a dose in the early evening tonight.  That way if you get tired you can just go to bed, or if it keeps you up, at least it won't be 3am.  It has a half life of 2.5 hours.  It is fairly short acting, so if you do have a negative reaction, it shouldn't last to long.  Also realize that because of the short half-life you cant just take a random pill here or there and expect it to do much for you.  You really will need to take it throughout the day for a few days to see if it helps you or not.  

• Like 1

I took it a couple of years ago for neck pain. I have no idea how well it worked for neck pain because it was the best sleeping pill ever! I would sleep very well and wake up refreshed and ready to start the day with no side affects. I was also taking Mobic too which worked very well.

My husband takes it regularly to help with his chronic pain and twitching.  It works pretty well for him.  He takes it about 30 minutes before bed and then is out like a light once he gets still.  He's never had any trouble with it other than it seeming to be less effective after he's been on it for a while.  He usually tries to stop taking it for a month or two for a "reset" when he seems to be getting used to it.  

• Like 1