Menu

Tent reccomendations

MistyMountain

Right now we have an older Coleman tent that takes in water if something touches the side which usually something does when you fit the mattresses in a tent. Does anyone have tents that are better at not taking in water and are on the bug and easy to put together side. I think the solution could just be to not go camping when it is going to rain. ;)

Rei kingdom tent

It's easy to set up and take down. It comes with a rainfly that kept us dry. We never had anything touching the sides though. We slept four across on camping pads without touching the sides.

When I was choosing the tent I went to REI to look at it. I wanted to be sure my 11 year old son and I could put it up and take it down on our own. The store gave us space and let us try.

• Like 1

We have a coleman that's about 6 years old now.  I can set it up by myself in 20 minutes, or with my teen helping, about 10.  The main thing, though, is every year or so before we go camping, I coat it with a waterproofing spray.  Same with the other tents we have (a cheap Target 4-man and a more expensive 2-man).  We've had one issue in all our trips and it's because the teen took the 4 man camping, without a tarp under it, and neglected to tell me there was a hole in the floor.  A weekend's worth of rain later it was a mess.  I patched the hole, reminded him of the tarp rule, and we've yet to have another problem.

• Like 2

We have an absolutely huge Eureka Copper Canyon tent. It is very easy for my dh to put up by himself, even though it is embarrassingly large.  They have many different sizes and I imagine they all go up easily.

We haven't had any trouble with it taking on water, and we have been through a couple BAD deluges and at least several camping trips that were 100% rain for days.  We also take very good care of it, seal any seams.always put down a large tarp underneat etc. But we haven't had to waterproof it.

We have had enough water end up underneath it that we have had to prop up one side and siphon water out...but no water in the tent.

• Like 1

I have this one. It's cheap, it's waterproof, and it's HUGE. You can even keep the windows open in the rain for ventilation. I would ONLY buy the weather buster series from them, not the regular. The weather buster ones are better at keeping out rain, with a bathtub style floor, the angled windows to vent air during rain, etc. Love this tent. We can fit a queen mattress, 3 sleeping bags, our gear, and have room left over. You could even put a small card table and chairs if you wanted. And it's tall enough you can stand upright. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Weatherbuster-18-x-10-Dome-Tent-Sleeps-9/42441355

I have not found any of the cheap tents worth the money you pay.

Stick with one of the big name brands-REI, eureka,etc. You want one with a "bathtub" style floor where the floor seams are a couple of inches up the side wall.

I always thought this, but honestly, our cheap Ozark Trail weather buster tent has held up really well, and has the bathtub floor, etc. No issues at all with it. 

We have a large Coleman tent that you can stand up in and has a ceiling light.  I can't remember what it's called.   It has the floor made like a tarp that comes up about a foot on each side, a rain flap, lots of windows.  We've camped in tropical storms without a problem.

We also have an old 3 room Coleman that does "weep" when the sides are touched when wet but we still use it.

We have an absolutely huge Eureka Copper Canyon tent. It is very easy for my dh to put up by himself, even though it is embarrassingly large.  They have many different sizes and I imagine they all go up easily.

We haven't had any trouble with it taking on water, and we have been through a couple BAD deluges and at least several camping trips that were 100% rain for days.  We also take very good care of it, seal any seams.always put down a large tarp underneat etc. But we haven't had to waterproof it.

We have had enough water end up underneath it that we have had to prop up one side and siphon water out...but no water in the tent.

This is what we have too. Ours is also embarrassingly large (14 x 16 I think? or maybe 12 x 14?), but we look like the Beverly Hillbillies when we go camping anyway so I don't care. :) I love that it has almost straight sides so that we can stand up in it without hunching over. We have a tarp for underneath but haven't waterproofed ours either and we stay relatively dry. Damp maybe, just because it is breathable and the humidity gets into the tent, but never wet inside. Love it!!!!!

We got. Kelty Gunnison 2.1 years ago, on your recommendation. We originally got it for Ds doing general camping and light backpacking. Now Ds has a lighter tent -- a one person Big Agnes. I use the Gunnison for Venture scouting events and Girl Scout camping. What a great tent!

But when I looked at the Gunnison 2.3, I was very surprized. The packed size is huge compared to the 2.1. We are transitioning into more backpacking, so packed size/weight is a major consideration. (I realize op was not asking about ultralight or backpacking tents.)

Btw, Campmor is my favorite store!

We have an absolutely huge Eureka Copper Canyon tent. It is very easy for my dh to put up by himself, even though it is embarrassingly large. They have many different sizes and I imagine they all go up easily.

We haven't had any trouble with it taking on water, and we have been through a couple BAD deluges and at least several camping trips that were 100% rain for days. We also take very good care of it, seal any seams.always put down a large tarp underneat etc. But we haven't had to waterproof it.

This is what we have too. Ours is also embarrassingly large (14 x 16 I think? or maybe 12 x 14?), but we look like the Beverly Hillbillies when we go camping anyway so I don't care. :) I love that it has almost straight sides so that we can stand up in it without hunching over. We have a tarp for underneath but haven't waterproofed ours either and we stay relatively dry. Damp maybe, just because it is breathable and the humidity gets into the tent, but never wet inside. Love it!!!!!

We have some Eureka Sunrise tents, not quite as huge, but big nevertheless. I got a 10 foot square one because I could stand up in it. But no one told me how difficult it would be to find a 10 foot spot in the wooded area where the Cub Scouts camped. Or that it would hang off an 8 foot platform. So I got an 8 foot Sunrise. Comfortable, but it takes a while to set up as the poles go into sleeves, and the fly has its own set of poles and sleeves. And they weigh 25 lbs and 12 lbs, whew! They are great tents, but not when you have to hike in to a campsite. Edited by Alessandra

We have some Eureka Sunrise tents, not quite as huge, but big nevertheless. I got a 10 foot square one because I could stand up in it. But no one told me how difficult it would be to find a 10 foot spot in the wooded area where the Cub Scouts camped. Or that it would hang off an 8 foot platform. So I got an 8 foot Sunrise. Comfortable, but it takes a while to set up as the poles go into sleeves, and the fly has its own set of poles and sleeves. And they weigh 25 lbs and 12 lbs, whew! They are great tents, but not when you have to hike in to a campsite.

Yes, I definitely would not want to hike with it anywhere! lol

But we just go to basic campgrounds with our cargo trailer full of bikes and tarps and tents and coolers and tubs of supplies and everything else :)

Our sites don't always have a level area big enough to accommodate it, but we don't mind sleeping on a little bit of an incline. We've never stayed anywhere with a platform.

• Like 1

We have had one for years too. Great tent - easy to put up, no leaking etc. We also have an REI 3 person (can't remember which one) that has been solid too. I think the ones with rainflys that come all the way down seem to be best in the rain.

Yes, I definitely would not want to hike with it anywhere! lol

But we just go to basic campgrounds with our cargo trailer full of bikes and tarps and tents and coolers and tubs of supplies and everything else :)

Our sites don't always have a level area big enough to accommodate it, but we don't mind sleeping on a little bit of an incline. We've never stayed anywhere with a platform.

Oh, you have a cargo trailer? It must be fun to take everything! I would love cots and other amenities. I have my eye on a folding camp kitchen that I could not possibly use, lol. Not happening for us at this point.

Platforms are found at many scout camps. During the summer season, they have 2 person scout tent, often a bit shabby. Then for the other three seasons, people bring their own tents, but use the platforms. It really simplifies choosing a site and setting up camp.

• Like 1

We have some Eureka Sunrise tents, not quite as huge, but big nevertheless. I got a 10 foot square one because I could stand up in it. But no one told me how difficult it would be to find a 10 foot spot in the wooded area where the Cub Scouts camped. Or that it would hang off an 8 foot platform. So I got an 8 foot Sunrise. Comfortable, but it takes a while to set up as the poles go into sleeves, and the fly has its own set of poles and sleeves. And they weigh 25 lbs and 12 lbs, whew! They are great tents, but not when you have to hike in to a campsite.

We car camp.  If I were hiking in I would get a totally different tent. We haven't had a problem with it not fitting in any sites, but it is possible it could be a problem.  I just wanted something big enough so that if it rained I could toss all our stuff in the tent and we'd still have room for the kids to play a game or something. 

• Like 1

We car camp. If I were hiking in I would get a totally different tent. We haven't had a problem with it not fitting in any sites, but it is possible it could be a problem. I just wanted something big enough so that if it rained I could toss all our stuff in the tent and we'd still have room for the kids to play a game or something.

I am transitioning from car camping. The Venture Scout events we have been to so far want you to pack in, even when there is a perfectly good road. The kids have excellent high tech sleeping bags. I have an assortment of sleeping bags and mattresses that fill multiple IKEA bags. I look like a pack animal. Venture scouts changed everything, because we all go together, so no borrowing equipment. :-(

I also recommend Kelty or REI.  We have a 20 years old Kelty with at least 300 set-ups that is still going strong and can withstand days of heavy rain.  I have seam-sealed it one time over its life.  We have a newer one that is a bit larger that has withstood the worse storm we have ever camped in without a drop inside.  Our REI gear is similarly great but is a bit more expensive.

A tent should NOT have to be waterproofed or seam sealed on a regular basis.  The fumes are very bothersome for a member of my family so I would not want to have to deal with it...not to mention that stuff costs money and is a hassle to have to do.

Almost any tent will weep if the nylon walls are touched in a place that the rain fly does not cover.  All of our tents have full rain flies so we do go ahead and have things right up to the sides with no problem.  Cheaper tents tend to have less coverage and you have to avoid the walls if you want to avoid weeping.