Menu

Indiana, Denver, stay here, open to more ideas....

Janeway

We have lived here 9 years now. My husband is a remote employee so we can live where ever we want. They told us not so long ago that when he switched teams he would be transferred (he was not fully remote at that point, so he was still going in to the office here). But then, his new boss never transferred him and he became remote. Now he is getting a new boss next year and it was mentioned that the new boss might like to have the employees local, but, my husband thinks it is only possible, but not likely. If that happens, there is no question here. We will go there. 

IF he is not transferred, we are seriously considering moving. I would like feedback and advice. Maybe we are delusional that a different places would be better.

Reasons to stay here

-we have some really good friends

-winter is mild

-homeschool is completely free

-two decent universities in driving distance

Reasons to leave

-we are in the bible belt. This has ruined religion for me. 

-they don't like gay people here

-we rarely get snow

-my 12 yr old wants to go to school for high school and we do not like the high school here

-the summer is much too hot here, hate summer here

-if we continue to home school, I would love to be in a place that allows dual enrollment with the local schools

-I used to be an outdoor person. But it is just too hostile, weather wise, here.

-if we sell our house and can clear enough to pay the realtor and another 75K, we would be 100% debt free. 

After considering many options, my husband said he would like to move to the Denver/Boulder area. But then we found out the taxes are super high there and the universities and community colleges cost a lot. How had is this? And now someone posted about the pot smoking out in public in many places. That is not something I could tolerate.

Colorado is still on the list, only because I feel like maybe I have not done enough research to rule it out. Indiana looks good on paper, but I have no experience with the state. We would live in Indianapolis, probably Carmel area. We considered WA, but it seems a little too isolated and odd when we read up about it.  We considered Minneapolis, but it my husband says he does not feel right about it. I would be interested in considering a place like NC or VA, but I know NOTHING about those places and worry it would just be Texas-East. And I used to live in CA, but I hear it is completely different now.

I just want to get away from the religious pressure, but even if it is hard core atheists pushing their beliefs, I just want to get away from it. I never felt any of that living in the midwest. But I am not that eager to return to the midwest. But, I would also like to stay in a city, have easy access to less populated areas, have good schools, and a great state university. 

Would you..if you were us..forget about moving-we have nice friends here and moving is a pain. Move, but stay in the area, but get a less expensive house so we can go debt free. Or pick another part of the country? We want to move before our 7th grader gets to high school. 

I also want to live in the kind of place where my children can grow up, go to college, and settle down with their own families. I do not want to live in the kind of place where people grow up and move away. I am from a small town area where everyone I knew growing up moved away pretty much. I would love it if I could be the close by grandma who is involved and has a lot of extended family near. The last grandparent to our children is about to die (seems to not even remember us as far as I can tell), so her location is not a factor in this and my cousins are spread all over the US, so no advantage to anywhere with family. 

Thanks for your advice! I am sitting outside right now, while I type this, in heat so high that I am thinking a lot about how much I dislike the south again. LOL

edited to add: growing up, I loved history. And there were a lot of historical places to visit. In the south, though, everything is pretty much new. Not many places to visit and nothing that is very old. This is not a huge factor, but it does kind of bother me a little bit.

Edited by Janeway

What about locating to where your husband works since it seems like it might be a possibility of having to live there either now or in the future? Or locating to an area with lots of jobs for extra peace of mind like the DC metro area?

He is an engineer. So really, as long as we stay in the city, we should be good as far as jobs go.

What about locating to where your husband works since it seems like it might be a possibility of having to live there either now or in the future? Or locating to an area with lots of jobs for extra peace of mind like the DC metro area?

Isn't the DC metro area high cost and high crime?

• Like 1

Colorado is really a great place. Lots of jobs, great recreation, schools are mostly decent, the sun shines, and the weather changes frequently so you don't get bored. The pot stuff is a non-issue for me. I don't smell pot much more than I did a few years ago, but I don't go to concerts anymore and I grew up around the Boulder campus..

The major con is a big one. Housing is getting very expensive (very- especially in the Boulder area) and scarce. PM if you want more details of the Boulder county housing situation. Traffic is getting worse and worse (lots of new people here). 

But overall, I think there are not that many better places to live.

• Like 5

Also, I've been contemplating a move to Colorado at some point, but we have family here in Central Florida so I don't see it happening. But if I could go anywhere, I think that is where. I have thee friends that have moved there in the past 2 years and all three love it. 

Edited by ktgrok

Well we recently moved to Indy from south Texas. I'm surprised at how much I love it. Great parks and wonderful things for kids to do - so many activity options. Lots of outdoor stuff. Housing prices are great. I don't mind the cold winters (I find it's a welcome change). I feel like people are pretty laid back and friendly. We live in another suburb that is close to Carmel and I go there often for different things. Their arts district is so fun and there are lots of great restaurants. So my vote is for Indy.

My brother lives in Colorado and the housing prices are skyrocketing. He can't find anywhere to live that's a reasonable price. He is not loving that aspect of CO right now. But Colorado is so beautiful. I wanted to live there. But I don't know if we could afford it right now.

Colorado is really a great place. Lots of jobs, great recreation, schools are mostly decent, the sun shines, and the weather changes frequently so you don't get bored. The pot stuff is a non-issue for me. I don't smell pot much more than I did a few years ago, but I don't go to concerts anymore and I grew up around the Boulder campus..

The major con is a big one. Housing is getting very expensive (very- especially in the Boulder area) and scarce. PM if you want more details of the Boulder county housing situation. Traffic is getting worse and worse (lots of new people here).

In Denver our public schools are hit or miss. I live closer to downtown and the "best" school still had 45% of 3rd graders not reading on grade level. The only school in our area that did well was the gifted school. Charters are what we will use. We have some excellent charter and magnet schools in Denver. But overall I have been disappointed with your run of the mill public (not charter or magnet).

I grew up in Carmel! It was a fantastic academic experience, 20 years out from graduation. My perspective is skewed from living in coastal California, but the COL is really quite low in Indiana. We recently considered moving back as we inherited my father's house when he passed. It is a good place to raise children. I'm not sure what your perspective is, coming from the South, but it does feel very conservative/isolationist/bubble-ish to me.

I'm a native of Boulder and live nearby. I agree with all of this.

Yes the cost of living is increasing drastically in Denver. Especially housing. We currently rent, and I do not believe we will be able to buy in Denver. The price has gone up drastically since we moved here 6 years ago.

People were saying that when we lived there nearly 25 years ago. :)

The front range is a desirable area for all the expected reasons. Mild weather, beautiful scenery, easy access to outdoor pursuits of all kinds, casual lifestyle. All that comes with a price, alas.

I think that the Reno area would fit your description.  No state income tax, either.  U of Nevada is right there in town, and it's a good, credible university that is not very expensive.  I think if I moved up that way I'd probably live in Carson City, which is maybe an hour away and a little quieter but still within easy cruising range of Reno.

Another place I'd consider in your shoes is Portland, Oregon/Vancouver, Washington--they are right across the river from each other and fit your description.  Good schools in WA, with fairly good cooperation with homeschooling.  Portland has the best book store I have ever been to in my life.  Lots of great wild nature within an hour.  Fairly mild climate.  Reasonably priced housing (not like Seattle, which has been distorted by Microsoft and the rise of the foodie culture locally.)  Or if those are still more expensive than you want, consider Walla Walla, which is really nice.  No traffic at all, Whitman College is right there, good high school/jr. college programs (graduate from both at once), and very reasonably priced housing.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 1

We have friends who recently moved to Colorado, near Denver, and they don't like it. They cite the pot smoking, the ginormous housing costs coupled with the extremely tiny lot sizes, the ridiculous rate at which Denver's population is exploding, the horrific taxes, the blandness of the sprawling suburbs, the relatively conservative nature of the people who live there, and the culture war between the northern and southern areas of Colorado. They say that if they could, they would move back to the Midwest.

My kids often play hockey in Carmel. I wouldn't move there, personally. There are better areas of Indy to live in. ETA: Ooops, sorry, I was confusing Carmel with another area of Indy my kids often play in. We don't even live in Indiana, and I feel like we spend half our life there, anyway!

Edited by Haiku
  • Like 1

I think that the Reno area would fit your description.  No state income tax, either.  U of Nevada is right there in town, and it's a good, credible university that is not very expensive.  I think if I moved up that way I'd probably live in Carson City, which is maybe an hour away and a little quieter but still within easy cruising range of Reno.

Another place I'd consider in your shoes is Portland, Oregon/Vancouver, Washington--they are right across the river from each other and fit your description.  Good schools in WA, with fairly good cooperation with homeschooling.  Portland has the best book store I have ever been to in my life.  Lots of great wild nature within an hour.  Fairly mild climate.  Reasonably priced housing (not like Seattle, which has been distorted by Microsoft and the rise of the foodie culture locally.)  Or if those are still more expensive than you want, consider Walla Walla, which is really nice.  No traffic at all, Whitman College is right there, good high school/jr. college programs (graduate from both at once), and very reasonably priced housing.

ohhhh!!!!!! I am a bit of a foodie myself. I don't take pictures and post them..but nothing like a new restaurant to get me giddy!!!

• Like 1

I grew up there. I have most of my family still there. Portland is INSANE right now. I have heard stories about people who have great credit and want to pay 6 months in advance for a rental and STILL can't find a place in Portland. Like I said, it is insane!

Vancouver, Camas, Salmon Creek area has very little mass transit (Portland keeps trying to get mass transit, MAX, over there but they reject it.) Because of this, I am told the traffic is insane. 

If you do decide to go to this area, try to get out a bit. With the lack of needing to commute it may be a good option for you. I would suggest Yacolt or Amboy or even north of there. You could also try into the Columbian River gorge. However I HIGHLY recommend a visit before you commit. 

BTW the reasons why I don't live out there now is because I needed more people around me. I got bored easily out there and hated it. My ideal town would be to move back to Cambridge, MA. The cost of living is high, but you walk or take mass transit everywhere you need to go. I love that. 

• Like 1

+1 for Reno.  I lived there when I was very young. If the OP is interested in mountains, Lake Tahoe, etc., I'd go there.  One of my childhood friends (he is from Las Vegas) is a graduate of UNR (University of Nevada Reno).  One of the men I worked with when I was very young married a woman there and he lived there until he passed away last year.  One could do much worse than to go to Reno.

My childhood friend from Las Vegas hates to go to Las Vegas now (He lives in Utah). He told me that there are more than 2 million people in the Las Vegas Metropolitan Area now.  He goes there for the airport and to visit his sister.

I found the Pacific Northwest to be very expensive and that was years ago.  Seattle and Portland, etc. are expensive. However, there are probably other cities in Washington and Oregon that might suit the OP and her family.

A place I always enjoyed driving thru was Western Virginia on I-81, but the OP seems not to want to live in the South, so that might be bad.  

Everything is a compromise and there is no paradise, but if the OP and her family move, I hope they will go to a place that maximizes what they seek and minimizes what they want to evade.

My husband's entire family lives in Denver. We could never afford to live there on one income for all the reasons cited above. There are a lot of California and western state people coming into the state which has expanded development and they can (generally speaking) afford more as far as a house (it's cheaper than most of CA!).  It "seems" that the cost of living in general is higher in Denver, but since I don't live there I can't say for sure.  That said, I think it is interesting that a prior poster said it is conservative there. I am from Ohio and I would not consider Denver to be conservative at all. It's all relative I guess!  

Anyway, another vote for Ohio, Cincinnati, Dayton or even northern KY. Your housing dollar is going to go a lot further. We have great access to arts. Tons of colleges within three hours drive.  If in Cincinnati, you are less than six hours from a bunch of major cities like Nashville, Louisville, Lexington, Indianapolis, Columbus, Cleveland, Toledo, Detroit, St. Louis and Chicago.  Denver is relatively isolated in comparison. You have to drive a lot further to get to a major city in another state.  It's a trade off. You have fantastic views, the mountains, and relatively mild weather there, but day road trips might not be as short.  

ETA: Indiana might have more favorable homeschool laws than Ohio.  

Edited by cintinative