Menu

New to homeschooling - which Singapore version?

CHSgirl

Hi everyone -

I would really appreciate your input on which version of Singapore to use. 

We have pulled my upcoming 3rd and 1st graders out of public school and will homeschool them this year. They will be in a hybrid-type program where they will take humanities one day a week, a science class another morning, and the rest of the week will be home with me. I have decided to do math on my own and I feel like I have been overanalyzing my options! 

After researching and looking at various options, I've decided to use Singapore. What I can't decide is which version to use. The Common Core option is appealing to me because I still plan to have my kids take yearly standardized testing - but maybe this shouldn't matter? We live in SC where the public schools used Common Core, but apparently have phased it out.  I have read through the forums here and there seem to be split opinions on US vs Standards and no opinions on the Common Core version? Any feedback for a rookie homeschooler? 

My kids are both strong in math. The lack of a Home Teacher Guide for Common Core is a bit scary to me, which draws be somewhat to US and Standard. I know there is a lot of hatred out there for Common Core, but some of the Common Core examples I've seen I actually like. Anecdotally, I've heard the Standards has slightly more than US and also some review built in, which I like. All that said, when you look at this this chart comparing the three options, there really isn't a significant difference in what is taught, which makes me wonder why there are three options to begin with. 

http://www.singaporemath.com/v/PMSS_comparison.pdf

I emailed Jenny at Singapore and was told there are NO plans to create a Home Teacher Guide for Common Core, nor are there are no plans to phase out the Standards version (which I read somewhere, can't remember where.) So here I am over analyzing which option to use, yet feeling like it's 6 of one and a 1/2 dozen of another... 

Which option do you think would be best for a rookie homeschooler  who is daunted by lesson planning?

Any input is so appreciated!  

You can get the Math In Focus books used but in near like new condition off of Amazon.  Easier to implement for a newbie than the other versions of Singapore, IMHO.  The Teacher's Manual is pricey but it can also be a huge help.  Skip it if the price is a stretch but if you can swing it, I would.

Example of a used textbook for 3rd grade (3a):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0669011002/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1469572796&sr=8-1&keywords=math+in+focus+3a+textbook

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 1

My kids are graduating high school at this point but we used the whole Singapore program and loved it. When we started we had to use the Singapore edition which was distracting. I spent a lot of time looking for pictures of unusual fruits so the kids cound see what they were adding. lol. For that reason the US addition was a huge relief! I loved these guides http://www.rainbowresource.com/proddtl.php?id=004384&subject=Mathematics/10&category=Primary+Math+U.S.+Edition+%28Gr.+1-6%29/2131 from Rainbow Resource. Extremely helpful.

Edited by mumto2

Liping Ma's Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics teaches the Singapore Method and I found it more usable than the Home Instructor Guide. I used mainly the Intensive Practice with my ds as he was extremely math intuitive, and I'm just supplementing my daughter teaching methods from Liping Ma, and using the IP as a supplement to Beast Academy. 

• Like 2

Rainbow Resource told me they plan to phase out the standards edition. Maybe you got it from them. But I think Jenny would know better.

Also, I like the US Edition. I use it. It is thorough and ahead of grade level. If you complete through level 6, your child will be ready for algebra. Algebra is an average 9th grade class. So, use the placement tests. I would expect a child who is done with 1st grade to be ready for 1B. There is a certain amount of repetition, but that is when "the Singapore Way" really kicks in. Mental math really gets going here. A child going in to 3rd would likely start with 2B because that is when they start the mental math of 99's and 98's. And other 3 digit mental math. Some multiplication facts are in 2A, but that is easy to remedy missing through math fact practice prior to starting 2B or along side.

By the way, this is one of those things that is easily analyzed. All these choices are fine choices. You won't go wrong with any. You could get a 6 sided dice out and roll it. If it comes up 1, do the US edition, 2, Standards, 3, Math in Focus, 4 Beast Academy, 5 Horizon's, 6 <fill in the blank> LOL. Get the idea? Tons of wonderful math programs, can't go wrong. In this case, since you are deciding between US edition and standards, you can just flip a coin. You won't need the 36 sided dice I would need!

• Like 3

This chart shows that the Standards edition is a little bit ahead of the CC edition in some areas (Starting about third grade) and as far as I can see, covers everything required by CC. You'd be OK with the Standards edition, if you wanted to be ready for testing and take advantage of the HIG guide.

I used the Standards edition when I switched from public school to homeschooling and we have done really well with it. The activities in the HIG guide have been very helpful in explaining concepts. My son took the standardized test for Common Core and felt like he was prepared with what he had learned from the Standards Edition.

• Like 1

I'm with tiramisu .

Us edition. Either if those are good tho.

Their math in focus ..I am not a fan.

I would definitely review samples online first.

They are way busier pages and way more busy work And more Americanized ( Singapores words not mine)

Big note: it's DOUBLE the $$ price of regular Singapore.

The content isn't as challenging either. so if your kids are mathy...I would go with u.s. or standards. They are pretty close.

They have a scope and sequence in their website. That's how I made my decision .

Note: math in focus isn't on their website because it's Americanized and not taught in Singapore schools.

I use u.s. tho and we love it

Edited by Kat w

Oh, yes. Definately as a pp said...GE the hig. There's so much more useful information in there to stretch them the Singapore way and...teaches mama how to reach the Singapore way.

Swb highly recommends getting it so, I did and I'm SO glad I did.

Wed be missing so much without it

• Like 1

I started off without the Home Instructors Guide (using the Common Core version), but after a year switched because I got a used copy of a HIG and find it so wonderfully helpful! In fact, I feel I could teach SM from the HIG alone. I also didn't use any of the supplementary material the first year, and then I discovered how WONDERFUL the extra practice/intensive practice books are.

So for me, what version you're using would be less significant than that you're getting everything you can out of SM. If I were using the CC edition, I'd try to find a teacher's guide for that.

(There are folks here who have said they found teaching SM intuitive and only needed the textbook and workbook to teach. I love math and am confident in my math skills, but I was absolutely not one of them.)

Finally, about testing: whatever version you use, I don't think this should be your concern. SM is a very strong program. After finishing a level in SM, my child seems to test about 1.5 years ahead. Even if there are several concepts on the test she is not familiar with, it's not enough to bring her total score down. And from hearing the stories of others, this isn't an atypical experience or because my child is particularly math-savvy.

Enjoy homeschooling and have fun overanalyzing your options (if you turn out to be someone who loves researching curricula as much as I do)...

• Like 2

My oldest used the US edition, and then I switched to the Standards edition for the other kids. #2 and #3 both used the entire elementary sequence from 1A to 6B. #4 is using 4B right now. All three of my older kids tested well and transitioned easily into higher level math.

We've used US Ed from the beginning and I love it. Std Ed wasn't out yet, though. I've heard the Std Ed HIGs are better but never had any complaints about the US Ed HIGs. No matter which edition you use, make sure you buy the Challenging Word Problems when you get to level 3! You don't really need them for 1&2 but they don't hurt either. I really think SM isn't complete without them. We do them after the dc has completed the entire level (A&B) as a review and they are fabulous.

The US edition had tons of review. I think the reason why some choose the Standards is because the instructor's guide is better. I have the 3A/3B guides for the US edition and I think they're a waste of money - I only paid 50 cents each though. The guides tell you which page is what and what to do next and maybe throw in a game here and there. I still prefer the US edition.

Definitely look at the CWP, those books are great.

I cannot thank you all enough! This is so helpful.

I gave my upcoming 3rd grader the Singapore assessment tests and she got 77% on the 2B - and there were some things she should have gotten right, but just forgot. So I plan to start with 3A. My upcoming 1st grader got 65% on the 1A test, so we'll start with 1A.

Need to digest all of your input and will decide. Thank you!

Ok, so I've decided to go with the Standards edition.  Mainly because it's in full color and it seems many think the HIG is better. 

My question is: Do any of you use the Test book (it's $17.50) on Singapore's website?? I have no idea if this will be valuable or not:

https://www.singaporemath.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PMSTDTST1A&CartID=4

I just ordered the tests for our upcoming year (2a). I don't know why, except that I love everything SM and just couldn't help myself. I'll let you know when I receive them if we don't get info. from someone else first. (Ordering for next year also reminded me of something not yet mentioned, I think, about the differences between editions: Standards is most expensive!)

I have no experience with the common core editions. I do with these others:

Standards Ed has the best HIG and is closest to common core standards. It has more review in the books than US edition.

US edition is streamline, closest to the gold standard used in Singapore years ago, and works perfectly well.

MathInFocus is more Americanized, and not published my Marshall Cavendish IIRC. We used one book (1B) and it was my least favorite of these three.

Re standardized testing concerns, unless you have them take the common core aligned tests I wouldn't use this as a deciding factor. Many national standardized tests are NOT common core aligned.

I think that a huge consideration, if you want to get the most out of Singapore math, is the HIG. This teaches you how to teach the Singapore way. You may not need it after teaching Singapore a year or two, but initially it really helps you get the benefit from the program. Without teaching the Singapore method you really are just buying workbooks (with hard problems). So I would go with Standards Ed.

• Like 1

Re Test book - we used when we had it free. It was important for me to show kids that although correcting your work is good, there will be times you have to get it right on the first try and that calculation errors or simple mistakes result in wrong answers.

• Like 1

We live in SC where the public schools used Common Core, but apparently have phased it out.  

FYI - technically it is phased out, but the standards they replaced it with are 99% the same as Common Core.  They were just trying to distance themselves from the backlash against CC.  

I have been very pleased with the Standards edition.  We use the HIG, textbook, workbook, and extra practice book.  We also use the intensive practice book (which is not Standards), but on a few months delay - I just use that as review.  

Ok, so I've decided to go with the Standards edition. Mainly because it's in full color and it seems many think the HIG is better.

My question is: Do any of you use the Test book (it's $17.50) on Singapore's website?? I have no idea if this will be valuable or not:

https://www.singaporemath.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PMSTDTST1A&CartID=4

I use the tests as a review. I give them the test and they have a week to complete it. In the lower levels my kids have chosen to do it all on one day. They take more time in the upper levels, so my kids will do a page or two a day until they are done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ok, so I've decided to go with the Standards edition.  Mainly because it's in full color and it seems many think the HIG is better. 

You are most likely to be successful with Singapore if you use ALL the main pieces - Home Instructor Guide, textbook (we work through that together - that's you teaching), the workbook (my kids do independently, then I check and they correct), and the extra practice book (kids do independently, I check, they correct).  Then we use Intensive Practice on a delay to review & see that we didn't miss anything.