Menu

Weirdness with Amazon product questions

Ginevra

This is a new experience for me.

You may know that sometimes potential buyers will post a question about a product they are considering if it's not clear from the description. If you have bought that product, Amazon might send you an email asking you to answer the question posted. Okay. Nothing weird about that. But, a few months ago, I bought a "So Real" baby doll from Amazon; it is a collector's type doll that is meant to look very much like a realistic newborn baby.

So, about a month ago, a buyer posted a question, which I was invited to answer, "Does the doll have a magnetic mouth?" So I answered, no, the lips are closed and not magnetic. Today, I got another request on this doll, "Does this doll have a magnet?" So, I answered again, "No. The lips are closed and not magnetic." Weirdly, though, there are fifty-six questions posted in the question section for this doll. I mean, every inane question you can imagine. Does the doll pee? Can you feed it? Can you bathe it? What does the hair look like? Is there hair? Do the fingers bend? Does the bow come off the hair? On and on and on. It's weird.

Do you thing this is a trolly thing? Is it due to the type of product itself; i.e., there are psychological reasons why some people want a doll like this and perhaps not all such people are in the best of mental health? Have you noticed a type of product that gets a disporportionate amount of questions?

• Like 2

I think that those who collect dolls as adults are, perhaps, particular about the details. Parents getting the dolls may be looking for a very specific function that their child wants. And, there probably is a sub-sect of society that wants/needs a realistic doll to replace a baby or help in a mental health capacity.

There was a woman (that I didn't really know well, so I don't know details), she had down syndrome and was not high functioning, but wanted to be a mommy. Her aunt got her a very realistic doll. It filled a need for the young woman.

• Like 7

I remember seeing something on TV (I think that's where it was) about a woman (or maybe it was more than one woman) who was a bit nuts about those ultra real dolls.  She attended to the doll as though it was a real baby--took it everywhere, and so on.  Maybe that is the type of person who is asking these questions. 

• Like 2

I remember seeing something on TV (I think that's where it was) about a woman (or maybe it was more than one woman) who was a bit nuts about those ultra real dolls.  She attended to the doll as though it was a real baby--took it everywhere, and so on.  Maybe that is the type of person who is asking these questions. 

I watched some kind of tv special on this phenomenon a few years ago as well.  

If you want to be totally creeped out, you can read about them on wikipedia, just look for "reborn doll".  

Anyway, some people buy these dolls and treat them as real babies.  The dolls can have heating units and breathing units inserted in them, so that they actually feel warm and have breathing movements.  I've watched a lot of tv specials over my life, and this is one of the rare ones that has stuck with me because it was just. so. weird.  

The women interviewed who owned the dolls varied in response from wanting a baby and not able to have one, to being an empty nester who craved the attention new mothers get out in public with their newborns.  

• Like 3

I think there are some who are psychologically unwell and treat it like a real baby.  I read a very sad case (complete with pix) of a woman on welfare who took her 'doll' with her everywhere she went, in a stroller or carseat, had a nursery set-up, lots of baby clothes, etc.  she has an 11 yo dd who is pretty much ignored. (I don't think it was faked.)

her money would have been better spent on mental heath care.

• Like 2

Occasionally, I receive emails like you do from Amazon, when someone has a question about the Dell Latitude E6400 laptop. That's because the first   2 we bought from Blair Technology Group,  were    purchased on Amazon, in 2014, including the one I am using.  However, the questions I am asked to answer are what I would consider "normal" questions from "normal" people.

What you described are not "normal" questions and they are not from people who are "normal".

With the exception of the OP,    that Doll has some strange people interested in purchasing it.    

• Like 2

I watched some kind of tv special on this phenomenon a few years ago as well.

If you want to be totally creeped out, you can read about them on wikipedia, just look for "reborn doll".

Anyway, some people buy these dolls and treat them as real babies. The dolls can have heating units and breathing units inserted in them, so that they actually feel warm and have breathing movements. I've watched a lot of tv specials over my life, and this is one of the rare ones that has stuck with me because it was just. so. weird.

The women interviewed who owned the dolls varied in response from wanting a baby and not able to have one, to being an empty nester who craved the attention new mothers get out in public with their newborns.

Yeah. This doll does actually have the warming insert. I didn't particularly want the warming insert and can't imagine going to the effort of using it; I just liked this doll's face the most out of the choices.

I do understand someone wanting a doll like this due to loss or trauma about babies. I wanted it for a reason like this; I wanted to hold it when I was sad and thinking about my own baby who died. But I can also see how someone could go down an unhealthy road with wanting the doll to be a substitute baby.

Although some people get tiny dogs to be a substitute baby, so the mental processes involved are probably not that rare.

• Like 2

Yeah. This doll does actually have the warming insert. I didn't particularly want the warming insert and can't imagine going to the effort of using it; I just liked this doll's face the most out of the choices.

I do understand someone wanting a doll like this due to loss or trauma about babies. I wanted it for a reason like this; I wanted to hold it when I was sad and thinking about my own baby who died. But I can also see how someone could go down an unhealthy road with wanting the doll to be a substitute baby.

Although some people get tiny dogs to be a substitute baby, so the mental processes involved are probably not that rare.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug: , Quill. I get it.

• Like 2

Is it due to the type of product itself; i.e., there are psychological reasons why some people want a doll like this and perhaps not all such people are in the best of mental health?

As a buyer, perhaps you can answer that better than the rest of us! ;)

BTW, I have a question about that doll: Is it easier to homeschool than regular babies?

On topic: I find that often the answers to the product questions on Amazon are simply incorrect.

• Like 2

Quill, I hope my comment wasn't offensive.  I do think there is a HUGE difference between holding a doll and thinking about your lost baby and feeding, bathing, and carrying the doll in public where you let others assume the doll is real.  

I can't imagine losing a child.  But I can imagine if I did, I would want some physical remembrance of that child that I could touch and hold from time to time.  

• Like 3

I would guess it could be used for a number of reasons that may make the info come up. For example, maybe some type of class would use the doll (marriage and family class? lol). I was also thinking of a doll for a child that wants to take care of it. The child may (either intentionally or accidentally) get the doll wet and maybe the parent wants to know if the doll can get wet.

The second "Does the doll have a magnet?" question would not make me necessarily jump to the conclusion it was referring to lips. They didn't say lips. But where else would a magnet go? I don't know. The eyes? I don't know how those closing eyelids work.

I get annoyed with Amazon when I CAN'T ask a question. Some products have no where to put a question.

• Like 1

As a buyer, perhaps you can answer that better than the rest of us! ;)

BTW, I have a question about that doll: Is it easier to homeschool than regular babies?

On topic: I find that often the answers to the product questions on Amazon are simply incorrect.

Much easier to homeschool than the living babies. Although gratifying feedback is wanting.

• Like 1

Re. the magnetic mouth, I would wonder if they confused the doll with one of those realistic dolls for children and worried about the possible dangers of a small magnet.

It's possible. The first question about the magnet was asking about the mouth specifically, but the second didn't say where/why they wanted a magnet.

Some people do ask about the doll's suitability for a child or grandchild. I can't think of many reasons I would buy such a special doll for a child, but possibly for sibling grief over a lost baby. But just as a doll to play with, it's quite expensive for that purpose. Then again, you have American Girl dolls and their accessories, which people buy without apparently caring about the expense.

I would guess it could be used for a number of reasons that may make the info come up. For example, maybe some type of class would use the doll (marriage and family class? lol). I was also thinking of a doll for a child that wants to take care of it. The child may (either intentionally or accidentally) get the doll wet and maybe the parent wants to know if the doll can get wet.

The second "Does the doll have a magnet?" question would not make me necessarily jump to the conclusion it was referring to lips. They didn't say lips. But where else would a magnet go? I don't know. The eyes? I don't know how those closing eyelids work.

I get annoyed with Amazon when I CAN'T ask a question. Some products have no where to put a question.

Some of these types of dolls do have a magnetic mouth and are meant to "suck" a pacifier or bottle. But it's hard to see how anyone could be confused about that if they looked at the picture and read the description.

• Like 2

Quill, I hope my comment wasn't offensive. I do think there is a HUGE difference between holding a doll and thinking about your lost baby and feeding, bathing, and carrying the doll in public where you let others assume the doll is real.

I can't imagine losing a child. But I can imagine if I did, I would want some physical remembrance of that child that I could touch and hold from time to time.

I wasn't hurt by your comment. I think a lot of people might use a doll like this to heal some wounds about babies and children. I do think it is possible for a person to develop an unhealthy fixation, though, to where they are not separating a pretend baby from the real baby they lost. Edited by Quill
  • Like 2

Quill, I hope my comment wasn't offensive.  I do think there is a HUGE difference between holding a doll and thinking about your lost baby and feeding, bathing, and carrying the doll in public where you let others assume the doll is real.

I can't imagine losing a child.  But I can imagine if I did, I would want some physical remembrance of that child that I could touch and hold from time to time.  

this.

but then there are women who lost a baby or are so fixated on having one but can't - they end up killing mothers and stealing their babies.  so, maybe it's better if they become fixated on a doll (and get mental health treatment.)

• Like 1

It's possible. The first question about the magnet was asking about the mouth specifically, but the second didn't say where/why they wanted a magnet.

Some people do ask about the doll's suitability for a child or grandchild. I can't think of many reasons I would buy such a special doll for a child, but possibly for sibling grief over a lost baby. But just as a doll to play with, it's quite expensive for that purpose. Then again, you have American Girl dolls and their accessories, which people buy without apparently caring about the expense.

I could see a scenario where a grandchild says "Grandma, I want a REAL doll baby."  And so Grandma is looking at that instead of the latest Betsy Wetsy (or whatever they are called now). 

• Like 1

Quill, I hope my comment wasn't offensive. I do think there is a HUGE difference between holding a doll and thinking about your lost baby and feeding, bathing, and carrying the doll in public where you let others assume the doll is real.

I can't imagine losing a child. But I can imagine if I did, I would want some physical remembrance of that child that I could touch and hold from time to time.

One reason why I'm taking my cat's illness so hard is because, after losing my son, she occupied my lap and arms and I often found myself rocking her and just sort of spacing out, until I realized my "baby" was purring. In many respects, the thought of losing her feels like losing that connection to my son. Not that she was a replacement for the baby, but that, physically, I needed something to hold right then, and the cat was willing.

• Like 3

One reason why I'm taking my cat's illness so hard is because, after losing my son, she occupied my lap and arms and I often found myself rocking her and just sort of spacing out, until I realized my "baby" was purring. In many respects, the thought of losing her feels like losing that connection to my son. Not that she was a replacement for the baby, but that, physically, I needed something to hold right then, and the cat was willing.

:grouphug:

Edited by gardenmom5

It's also worth pointing out that these dolls aren't cheap, so one might be a little more particular regarding the specific features of a doll when spending so much. I know if I were to drop $120 on a doll, I'd make sure it had all of the features I needed. 

• Like 1

It's also worth pointing out that these dolls aren't cheap, so one might be a little more particular regarding the specific features of a doll when spending so much. I know if I were to drop $120 on a doll, I'd make sure it had all of the features I needed.

Yeah, that's part of it to me, too. I probably looked at, read the specs and read reviews of twenty different dolls of this type. There were certain things that I think simply look better (closed eyes, for example) and some of the outfits and accessories they come with are cuter than others. My favorite outfit was a lavendar knit outfit that looked hand-knit. Matching hat. So cute! But that doll had open eyes, which I didn't prefer. But yeah - it's a lot of money to spend on a doll if you don't really understand basic things about how the doll is constructed.

• Like 1