Menu

What would you do, if anything, with a 4 year old?

Allison TX

I've been looking at several preK programs (MFW, HOD, MP, Playing Skillfully, BFIAR) and I can't decide what I want to do with my 4 year old. 

I would love to take him to the zoo, and aquarium, and children's museum, story time at library,and park all the time, but I have four other kids- three older and one younger- and I can't leave the older ones alone all day to do school by themselves.

We already read a lot, do a little art work, work on puzzles, play outside some.  He loves his Thomas the train set, and can spend hours playing with it. 

It would be great to have something that schedules some fun learning activities, art work, and read alouds without a lot of seatwork or worksheets. 

I know I don't have to do anything, but I would like to do something fun with just him each day. I think he would love the one on one time.  And if it's scheduled, it's more likely to get done.

Any suggestions?  Or what have you used and loved with your 4 year old?

Thanks so much!!!!

We used to own BFIAR.  Now, I don't mind making my own curriculum, but this was a little much.  It was frustrating to hunt down the books, gather the supplies, do a 2 minute craft and be done.

What we ended up using was no cheaper, but we liked it better.  We got Little Passports and created a unit study each month around a different culture (I started the subscription during the summer so I could rearrange units if needed).  A few books, lots of crafts, a bit of food, and we were good to go.

In K we found Wee Folk Art which was very nice.  It scheduled a weekly plan of a book, a supplemental book, a craft, nature study, picture study, and poem.  The original pdfs are free (though I've heard the second ones are better), and it was more flexible if we couldn't find a book at our library.  Very low-key and we liked it a lot.  It doesn't have a script for the parent so you still get to schedule it however you like. 

• Like 1

I've been looking at several preK programs (MFW, HOD, MP, Playing Skillfully, BFIAR) and I can't decide what I want to do with my 4 year old. 

I would love to take him to the zoo, and aquarium, and children's museum, story time at library,and park all the time, but I have four other kids- three older and one younger- and I can't leave the older ones alone all day to do school by themselves.

We already read a lot, do a little art work, work on puzzles, play outside some.  He loves his Thomas the train set, and can spend hours playing with it. 

It would be great to have something that schedules some fun learning activities, art work, and read alouds without a lot of seatwork or worksheets. 

I know I don't have to do anything, but I would like to do something fun with just him each day. I think he would love the one on one time.  And if it's scheduled, it's more likely to get done.

Any suggestions?  Or what have you used and loved with your 4 year old?

Thanks so much!!!!

Lots of free time for independent playing, all by himself. Outings (which you're already doing). Pre-school-size Cuisenaire rods to play with. Reading aloud to him while the three olders are doing some independent school work. He can help you do chores, or garden. Personally, *I* would not buy something for a 4yo. :-)

• Like 2

I think what you're doing already sounds like plenty. He's got a rich, full environment already. Maybe you can carve out one day a month to take everyone out on a field trip that's really meant for him - your older kids would benefit from running around the zoo without an agenda too. Or go to a weekly park day with lots of littles - again, it won't hurt your older kids to do that. Or maybe you can have special mommy and youngest time during the day every day - but I wouldn't feel the need to get anything specific for it, though if you're already reading aloud to him a lot, then you're probably already getting that time.

• Like 2

I have a 3.5 year old who BEGS to do school like his big brother and big sister.  I have set aside some educational toys and activities that are just for "school" time (sensory bins, puzzles, etc.)  Since we school summer here also he gets lot of time with those things.  I've also found used workbooks (Rod and Staff preschool, Before the Code, LeapFrog, Kumon, Abeka K4, etc.) that I have on hand when he wants to "do school".  He has learned all his letters, most of their sounds and is starting to show interest in writing.  All from being here.  Just hanging around a school environment since he was an infant.  So I think "doing nothing" is actually "doing something" and attempting a little enrichment beyond that will go a long way.  :)  Good luck!!

My 2nd grader, when she was 4, loved s pre-cuisinaire Rod book that we did. I found it online for free. Possibly from education unboxed. Also we had lots of educational games. Maybe do some Of those fun preschool crafts like a handprint turkey, white crayon snowman on blue paper, etc.?

• Like 1

With older kids already in the home, I wouldn't stretch yourself and add a lot of structured activity.  This is a good time to teach your four year old to play independently.  The only structured teaching I would do is phonics/reading, and continue reading aloud daily.

• Like 1

A couple kids ago, I would have said it's enough!

Now i have a 4.5ds. He is ready for some school but not for other things and either way isn't "old enough" for k. So we'll take it one day at a time. I plan to:

Do mazes.

Are you ready for kindergarten? Type workbooks (mine are kumon)

Scissor work

Writing is bog for him, so we'll focus on letters and lots and lots of copy work.

Rs A (I already have this, I wouldn't buy anything. But I want to play games with him)

Do matching, memory, pattern play

Good books. Longer picture books in one sitting. Longer chapter books over several days.

Have fun.

Lots of hand work (his fine motor skills need work). Lots of monkey bars.

I did MP Jr. K with my oldest, but my younger is really enjoying the material.  We are focusing on book, memory work, poetry (Mother Goose), songs, and the craft.  There are two crafts each week - one related to the book, and one related to the letter.

I am mostly skipping the letter and number work for now.

My kid is enjoying doing his own "work" and I am enjoying that it is still sweet gentle reading/ singing time.  And sometimes I tell my older to keep doing independent work while we spend longer with Mother Goose.

I have also started him on Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization by IEW.  He loves having his own set of poems to recite.

As many others have mentioned, what you're doing now sounds great! I purchased a PreK curriculum for both my girls, but looking back, I wish I hadn't. But, it was our first experience with homeschooling and I had no idea what I was doing! 

I taught a PreK class at our homeschool co-op last year, and if I could go back, I would've liked to do something like that for my girls. For the co-op, each week, we focused on a different theme. Then based on that theme, we read a few library books, did one or two crafts, and sometimes played games (all centered around the theme). Pinterest is where I got all of the ideas (apples, space, pumpkins, Thanksgiving, weather, habitats, etc.)  I realize this would require some planning on your part, so that's something to consider, but Pinterest definitely makes it easier to plan.

Doing workbooks and worksheets would depend on your child. My youngest has always liked doing workbooks, so I would always keep some around so she could do "school" while I was working with her older sister. Plus, it got her started with numbers and letters, writing, and cutting.  

If he likes his train set, then he might like wooden building blocks, tinker toys, and things like that. We have these blocks that came with picture cards, so the child has to make the blocks in the shape of the picture (similar to a tangram). My youngest is 6 and still likes doing that now.  

Have fun!

Edited by Vintage81

We liked Five in a Row, and did that (rather than Before FIAR) at 4 years old.  It was a lot of fun, and there was enough selection with activites and discussions that if I didn't have time or energy, we could keep it low key and still have 'done school', but if there was time and energy and excitement we could Pinterest and have a full day of activites planned.

The other thing we did at 4 was phonics and math.  Math I think, in retrospect, could have been left undone.  Phonics I'm glad we did because now (5 year old) he's a completely independent reader and will occupy himself, and often his brothers, with reading.

Best,

LMC

Here's another prospective to consider. I've found in my home, the 3-5 age is very difficult for me. They're not quite old enough to be considered school-age, and yet they are old enough to learn and are not babies anymore. I think all too often, we focus so much on the older students and this age group gets left behind. I found myself often saying "go play" multiple times a day. Do I NEED to do anything with them academically? No. In fact, I'm in the "later is better" camp 100%. 

HOWEVER-what they DO need is our attention and love. For me, unless it's scheduled and open and go, it will not get done. I have felt an immense amount of guilt because I feel like I've practically ignored my preschoolers in the past. But I'm changing things up in a big way next year.

I am a former preschool teacher with a basement full of preschool materials. But, I'm entertaining the idea of doing Mother Goose Time curriculum with my 3 youngers ones just so they have mommy time each and every day and it does not get pushed to the side. They deserve my attention as much as the older ones. I don't really care what they learn, but I do want them to feel valuable as members of the family. I'm even willing to pay a pretty penny for it.

So do you NEED to do anything with a 4 year old? Possibly not as many have said. But I encourage you to find a way to make that child feel special and important-because that's even more important.

• Like 7

We LOVE Ivy kids. It isn't a curriculum but it is very educational. I use this with my 4 year old son and my 5 year old granddaughter and my 8 year old daughter has fun with it too. Every month you get a book and fun games and crafts to go with it. Everything you need is included so it is easy to implement. Each box has about 10 activities so it isn't enough if you want to do something structured every day but I find that it is enough for us.

And I'm considering Ready-Made Preschool for my 4 year old for this coming school year.

Susan in TX

Edited by Susan in TX

I was realizing this spring that I do like PP said and focus so much on the older ones that my little guy misses out.  What I'm planning on doing this fall is setting aside a bit of time (something like 15-20 min a day) in which my older kids will do independent work while I do something special with him.  Right now I'm gathering options and making a little visual representation of each on a card.  Each day I'll let him pick what he'd like to do, and we'll do it together.  If we have more time, we'll do something more.  It's nothing formal or formulaic (my kids seem to rebel at the PreK age if I try to dictate our direction) but rather educational but kid-directed.  I did essentially this same thing for my older two around this age (the first half-hour of YDS's naptime was their special "big kid activity" time), and it worked really well.

I've explained what I'm planning and he's all excited (and the older kids got all puffed up about how they can be independent now because of how big they're getting).  Here are the activity options I have--I plan to rotate what he can choose from and provide 3-4 options each day, of which we'll have time for maybe 2 of them.  I want him to have a choice without being overwhelmed, but have variety so he doesn't get bored.  I grouped them by basic skill.

- Handwriting: dot-to-dot book, maze book, handwriting book, how-to-draw book, coloring book, possibly various seasonal crafts for other fine motor skillwork

- Reading: AAS activities, Progressive Phonics (free online--also has handwriting which I'd do if I hadn't already bought a book to get me free shipping), mom read-aloud, reading worksheet

- Math: RightStart A, MathSeeds or DragonBox (doesn't need me for this but likes the audience), Cuisenaire activities

- General/Mixed: various games, puzzles

I think that this varies wildly depending on the child. My son's natural inclination is towards topics traditionally considered "academic" such as symbols (particularly letters & numbers) & spatial reasoning. He also needs a LOT of physical activity, loves games & is competitive - all of which I take into consideration when selecting materials for him.

We are using LOE Foundations & RightStart A so far, both of which have been a good fit. I am planning to cover other subjects in 6-8wk units, with materials pulled from various sources, beginning in August.

I agree with pp that 4yr olds don't need academics but they do need mom time. What I do with my current 4yr old is go on two field trips a month that are geared more toward him. He also loves to play games so I try to start the day playing a game with him. I also read to him every evening. In between I make it a point to take breaks to do things with him. Right now I try to help him learn to swing, take him out to ride his balance bike (the older kids can come ride their bikes too), pitch him wiffle balls, and let him help me make a meal. I also try to have him do something fine motor every day.

Because I don't always remember what I want to do with him, I do have a checklist in my homeschool book for him. I put down things I really want to do every day (like read to him) and other ideas of things I think he would like. That way I make sure he gets mom time without making it "school." He does play by himself quite a bit and I also have my other kids take turns playing with him.

I think what you're already doing sounds great!

I have a 17 month old, and we do library story time each week. My older kids sometimes stay home and sometimes go with. If they go with, they sit at a nearby table and do their schoolwork.

When my other kids were 4, I remember them all wanting to do school like big brother(s), so I had K level materials available, and I'd do "school" with them if they asked. But mostly I tried to spend time reading to them a lot.

My youngest is majorly spoiled by her big brothers, so I can imagine them fighting over who gets to play with math manipulatives with her or who gets to read picture books to her. She certainly gets plenty of attention from them! And she is mama's girl, so gets plenty of attention from me, whether I want to give it or not. :lol:

Also, we're doing Wayfarers for our history/science, and they have a preschool schedule included, with readings and preschool fun activities. Actually, I think the preschool thing is available on her website for free. Yes, it is - Pathways. I plan to use that next year when my toddler is ready for some of the activities and longer picture books. They're basic things like sorting and working on fine motor skills.

Another thing mine loved was anything small that they could sort into bottles and jars and such. Like packs of dollar tree erasers, buttons, table scatter, etc. if they are ready for such guidance you could get them to sort them into groups of ten, or are printables online where child can put one item in a box by each number to get to 10.

My 4 yo begs for schoolwork, and four is when I begin to oblige. We do Saxon K math. It has no worksheets and is all manipulatives based three days a week and teaches calendar, patterns, play store and beginning money and counting and beginning addition and subtraction. Very gentle. WTM has a play based preschool math too. If the child likes to write, we start a beginning phonics workbook. I do a letter a week and start having them blend letters together for CVC words by end of the year as they are ready. We do activities, stories and playtime around their letter. I let them tag along for read alouds and science projects with their older siblings, and they do lots of arts and crafts. This year, I am making my son some busy boxes for just school time each day of the week to occupy him when I work with his brothers.

I know the blog Confessions of a Homeschooler has a letter of the week printable curriculum too if you are interested. I find dollar store workbooks are fine too, or I use the ones from the phonics curriculum I plan to use for kindergartener.

• Like 1

The best preparatory things I think you can give them are routine, and reading aloud. The rest is fun (if it's your first), a stretch (if it's your second), or a pipe dream (if it's your fourth).  Ok, I know there are more amazing people out there than me, but really I wish I would have taken all the time I spent on school like stuff with my pre-school kid and instead played in the mud.

• Like 1

I have done:

Oak Meadow Kinder. It really is PreK level. {LOTS of blank paper, colored pencils, etc.}

Calvert PreK. This was fun, sort of. Too expensive to be worth it now, though.

Get Ready, Get Set, Go for the Code books

Rod and Staff ABC series. Mostly A, C, and the one with nothing but cut and paste

FIAR but this was not enjoyed much. Too much talking.

Christian Light Education Kinder II. A bit like R&S above but more put together.

It really depends on the child. I have had from advanced learners to still not fully talking. I had kids who loved workbook pages and those who prefered to draw their own.

Good luck!

My baby turned five last October and I wanted something for her to do while the others were in school, and she wanted something to do, but I wasn't ready to start her in real school yet. I used Rod & Staff ABC Series and she really enjoyed them. They provided a good variety of skills for her and were mostly independent.

My 4yo is doing SL P4/5 with her sister which is basically reading with some activities. She is ready for it and they have fun acting out the stories etc together. I am also now actively teaching her to read because she is soooo ready and so excited. I'm not using a program though - just a bunch of phonics flashcards and the McGuffey Primer. We do this when she goes down for her afternoon nap/quiettime. We just snuggle in a chair and read while everyone else has their quiet time too. I'll teach her how to write the letters on the white board as she is starting to write by herself anyway.

Another resource she likes and we sometimes use is www.allinonehomeschool.com

It has free phonics and early math activities in the Getting Ready 1 and 2 section - some online and some printable.

Edited by LindaOz

Thank you so much for all of the suggestions.  I've been looking into all of them- there are a lot more programs out for little ones now than when I first started homeschooling!  I think I still want something, just because I am not creative enough  to think of fun and enriching activities on my own.  I'm just going to be more relaxed about it because we really don't NEED to do anything.  We are going to a homeschool convention this weekend, so I'll have a chance to see a lot of things in person.  Hopefully that will make my decision easier.😊  Thanks again!!!!!

This post is very timely because my daughter turned four yesterday.  I need to start to be more intentional about her education. She has occasionally wanted to do school with Robby over the last two years and I have always provided her with a blank notebook and pencils to draw with while Robby is "doing school."  I don't like coloring books as much as I value quality sketchbooks.  I think I might make her a sketchbook where I write a large lowercase letter in highlighter per two page spread for her to trace.  She can first finger trace, then in crayon, pencil, pen, marker, etc.  and fill that page with her own attempts.  The other side of the two page spread we can put stickers, drawings, magazine cut outs to collage, etc with words that begin with that letter.  I would like to do this in the style of Doodling Dragons (making sure to include things that begin with all the sounds of that letter for example: c :: /k-s/ cards and circus.  This would be a book only brought out when she asked and it would be something she may work on for a few years until she knew all the phonograms.  Just an idea I am thinking of now.

We are under contract for our first house.  We have not had a yard that I could let her just go outside safely to play.  So I am SUPER excited about creating for her:

1) a mud kitchen

2) sand pit/box

3) backyard chickens (maybe four hens)

We will be only three blocks from a very small library branch, but I see lots of walks down to the library to cuddle and read picture books.