Menu

Coffee or espresso snobs, please come in...

StaceyinLA

This is s/o of my other thread about inexpensive espresso machines, which I now know isn't going to cut it.

So, I am trying to decide what to do at this point now that I have decided I NEED an awesome espresso machine to recreate the amazing cappucinos I had at my niece's last week.

I may suck it up and go for the Breville superautomatic, but I'm not positive and I may need to wait a little while before I do it anyway. In the meantime, I have to figure out a decent option because drinking crappy coffee isn't working for me.

Do I just go back to my Pioneer Woman cold coffee setup and forget I ever had the good stuff for a week?

Do I get a decent grinder that'll be fine for coffee then just use that with my French press until ready to get a superautomatic espresso maker?

Do I need to get a good grinder and just continue using my French press with good coffee until I can afford to get a good espresso maker (at which point I prob wouldn't need one with a built in grinder)?

Do I get a coffee maker with a built in grinder and just use the really good coffee and call it a day?

Do I get a Nespresso and call it a day? I mean does that espresso (well I'd do cappucino) really even compare? I've had it, but it's been a while.

Can someone please make this decision for me? I am clearly having issues (and the withdrawals aren't helping).

Watch the YouTube videos on the Gaggia Accademia. Whole Latte Love, maybe? It's my new love.

The best cap I've made, hands down. Our Jura was beaitiful, but this beats it. And - it's hotter. The espresso, the foam, all of it. No plastic parts. :)

I'm no help, if you're looking for inexpensive, sorry.

• Like 1

Nespresso doesn't compare to real espresso. It's way better than Keurig, but no. Iced coffee has its own place in my heart. A fancy maker wouldn't prevent me from making it. I use a pitcher similar to this that I got at Costco last year, and it's much easier than fussing with cheesecloth and whatnot. Takeya Flash Chill® Iced Tea Maker (2 Quarts, Blueberry) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0095ZBJSS/ I fill it and sit it on the counter overnight, then dump the grounds and refrigerate the rest. 4 oz coffee makes 2 qts.

• Like 2

Watch the YouTube videos on the Gaggia Accademia. Whole Latte Love, maybe? It's my new love.

The best cap I've made, hands down. Our Jura was beaitiful, but this beats it. And - it's hotter. The espresso, the foam, all of it. No plastic parts. :)

I think I might have watched that. I know I watched one on the Gaggia - just need to see which model. I was pretty impressed.

• Like 1

I think I might have watched that. I know I watched one on the Gaggia - just need to see which model. I was pretty impressed.

DH is my compulsive researcher. He must have read about every machine, and watched every video. He chose the Jura, almost ten years ago, and when it finally died last month - he researched again. I honestly didn't think I'd love a machine more than the Jura, but wow. The milk carafe is very cool, too. With the Jura, we had the little fridge unit that sits on the counter, but we had to wash it nightly. I eventually just switched to black espresso. It was a pain. But the Gaggia rinses the milk carafe tubes after every use. Easy to use, then store in the fridge.

Have fun deciding! Whatever you get - cheers!

• Like 1

Also, I guess I do need to clarify that I either do cappucino or Americano. I'm not likely to ever do actual espresso. Actually, I tend to do the breve because I use half n half (heck when I do coffee, I put whipping cream on a good day). I don't know if that makes a difference in what might work for me.

I mean generally I do my cold with homemade almond milk and a dash of honey to keep sugar down and have a healthier brew; hot coffees for me are definitely gonna mean more calories because I like to use richer creams. Of course I tend to limit myself to one cup so it's not awful.

• Like 1

Wait, you got a new machine?

What happened to your Jura?

I know I posted in the other thread, but here is more:

Do you WANT a super automatic or do you want to become a barista?  True snobs make their own, but I am going to admit I miss my super automatic sometimes.  Just press the button and done. I may spring for one again one day, particularly if I get a job and don't want to hassle in the am.

I will mention again about CoffeeGeek.com.  They do NOT really talk much about super automatics, they think they are too snobby for that, but if you are considering a manual type set up, that is the place to go to research.  Now, they WILL try to tell you that you need a $1000 grinder and a $2000 machine to even come close to making a decent cup of espresso/latte/Americano, but if you dig a little, you will find the folks who simply can't afford that and still have great cups of espresso.

For the super automatics, I would turn to YouTube and watch SeattleCoffeeGear for great comparisons and reviews.

When you find what you want, then start looking for the best deal.  SeattleCoffeeGear, WholeLatteLove, Costco, Amazon.......I prefer to buy from Costco if I possibly can, just for the return policy.   The others require you to ship the machine back, which can be pricy.  

Or look at Craigslist, maybe you can find a used.

• Like 2

Oh, and as far as the Nespresso.  Someone GAVE me one.  Even if you can find the pods at .50 each, it takes two to make anything somewhat decent, and I drink at least two per day.  That means at least $2/day.  For the $800 or so I would spend in a year, I can get 10 years of quality cups.

And you said you don't make espresso.  But you do. That is the foundation of all the drinks you make, so the espresso needs to be decent.

• Like 1

Wait, you got a new machine?

What happened to your Jura?

It finally died. I was distraught. :). We bought it refurbished, and it made more than 16,000 espresso drinks for us (love the counter!). We sent it for repair a few times, but we finally but the bullet and splurged on a new machine. The new one has been here for a few weeks, and I really like it.

• Like 1

Honestly, if it's not specifically to drink an espresso, rather you'll be using milk, cream, to dilute it, why go to the time, energy and expense of trying to make a perfect espresso?  Have you ever had really good coffee made in a percolator? It is amazing, too. It's the quality of the coffee and the milk/cream that can make the flavour great, not just the thousand dollar machine.

• Like 2

I know I posted in the other thread, but here is more:

Do you WANT a super automatic or do you want to become a barista? True snobs make their own, but I am going to admit I miss my super automatic sometimes. Just press the button and done. I may spring for one again one day, particularly if I get a job and don't want to hassle in the am.

I will mention again about CoffeeGeek.com. They do NOT really talk much about super automatics, they think they are too snobby for that, but if you are considering a manual type set up, that is the place to go to research. Now, they WILL try to tell you that you need a $1000 grinder and a $2000 machine to even come close to making a decent cup of espresso/latte/Americano, but if you dig a little, you will find the folks who simply can't afford that and still have great cups of espresso.

For the super automatics, I would turn to YouTube and watch SeattleCoffeeGear for great comparisons and reviews.

When you find what you want, then start looking for the best deal. SeattleCoffeeGear, WholeLatteLove, Costco, Amazon.......I prefer to buy from Costco if I possibly can, just for the return policy. The others require you to ship the machine back, which can be pricy.

Or look at Craigslist, maybe you can find a used.

Well yeah, right now I WANT a superautomatic because even though I kind of want to be an espresso snob, I want to do it quickly and easily. ;-p

Our Costco has NOTHING; I went the other day. Can you order online or something and then return locally?

• Like 1

Honestly, if it's not specifically to drink an espresso, rather you'll be using milk, cream, to dilute it, why go to the time, energy and expense of trying to make a perfect espresso? Have you ever had really good coffee made in a percolator? It is amazing, too. It's the quality of the coffee and the milk/cream that can make the flavour great, not just the thousand dollar machine.

I've thought of that and am struggling with just doing a Cuisenart grind and brew and getting some really great coffee auto shipped, OR just getting a good grinder and then using my French press to make some really good coffee. It would be a LOT cheaper.

• Like 1

I hate bitter and rancid coffee, and only like GOOD espresso, so here's my advice.  Go to Amazon and get the cheapest espresso/cappuccino machine with a 4 star or above rating.  Also get an electric coffee grinder.  Purchase the best quality espresso beans you can find in your local grocery store. NOT starbucks. Keep them in your freezer. Grind enough for one cup at a time, and keep the rest in the freezer.

Use filtered water.  Every single time you make espresso, clean the machine meticulously.  Crappy/bitter coffee is usually rancid coffee oils. The cleaner you keep the machine and the fresher the beans, the less bitter taste there will be.

• Like 3

Oh, and as far as the Nespresso. Someone GAVE me one. Even if you can find the pods at .50 each, it takes two to make anything somewhat decent, and I drink at least two per day. That means at least $2/day. For the $800 or so I would spend in a year, I can get 10 years of quality cups.

And you said you don't make espresso. But you do. That is the foundation of all the drinks you make, so the espresso needs to be decent.

Well, yeah espresso is the foundation for my drinks, but would using the same beans and doing a good coffee then adding some heavy cream be a similar flavor as the same beans making an espresso? I know it brings out different favors, but how much different? Since I normally do Americano or Cappucino I'm just wondering.

And also, do you have an idea what you spend in beans for your espresso maker? I'm just curious because we went through 12 oz of beans fairly quickly at my niece's and if you're paying a premium for those, that could be pricey as well. I'm certainly not saying the Nespresso is the better option; just trying to get an idea.

I missed the other thread, so I missed why, if you're not specifically looking for espresso, do you want an espresso machine?

I think in your situation I'd get a decent grinder and decent beans, and like Katy says keep the beans in the freezer and scrupulously clean all functioning parts, and see how your French press does.  I dunno that I'd self-identify as a coffee snob, lol, but I do love my coffee, and I do feel like my French press makes a perfectly nice cup.

I'd also second the part about don't get too-roasted beans -- that's part of what drives folks to using loads of sweetener...

• Like 1

Well, yeah espresso is the foundation for my drinks, but would using the same beans and doing a good coffee then adding some heavy cream be a similar flavor as the same beans making an espresso? I know it brings out different favors, but how much different? Since I normally do Americano or Cappucino I'm just wondering.

And also, do you have an idea what you spend in beans for your espresso maker? I'm just curious because we went through 12 oz of beans fairly quickly at my niece's and if you're paying a premium for those, that could be pricey as well. I'm certainly not saying the Nespresso is the better option; just trying to get an idea.

We go through a LOT of coffee here. DH and I both work from home and are heavy coffee drinkers. Ok, espresso. We also regularly entertain heavy coffee drinkers. So our bean bill is higher than most. We use the Camano Roasters coffee club. They roast and ship the next day, so always freshly roasted. I store in airtight containers - in the pantry. No freezing, it stales the beans and negates the fresh roasting. We get two bags of Papua New Guinea roast every two weeks. The bags are huge. Maybe two pounds each? It's $52. Shade grown, organic, fair trade, and those are my favorite beans by far.

If you opt for a super automatic, like we did, you need to pay attention to the beans. Oily beans will gunk up your machine. Light roasts are better. If you put the beans on a paper towel, they shouldn't bleed oil.

• Like 1

No, it won't.  If you are looking for a taste like espresso, you need espresso.

It needs to have a min. of 15 bars of pressure and have the layers of coffee and rich creama on top to get that taste.

Right now I get cheaper beans (Costco Kirkland brand) but I do notice a difference when I get good beans.  Next up is roasting, but I haven't done that yet.

You will most likely spend about $10-$15 per pound.  Even if you spend $30 or so on great coffee per month (I spend less but I am the only one drinking it), that is still cheaper than one person on a Nespresso.  

I wish I still had mine to send you to try out.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

Well yeah, right now I WANT a superautomatic because even though I kind of want to be an espresso snob, I want to do it quickly and easily. ;-p

Our Costco has NOTHING; I went the other day. Can you order online or something and then return locally?

Oh, ours doesn't either.  You have to order online.  

As I mentioned in the other thread, you will be hard pressed (hahaha, like the pun?) to find an actual quality espresso machine in a retail store.  You pretty much have to order online.

Williams-Sonoma had a few in the past, but even our local one no longer carries anything but the pod type machines.  

• Like 1

Costco doesn't sell this one, but they do sell the SAECO Exprelia EVO, which seems quite comparable.  

http://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?keyword=super+automatic+espresso

I have no idea, lol.  But I want you to know that I have some friends who did a major splurge on a really good espresso machine and grinder and they have never regretted it. They have cappuccino every morning and it takes no more time than making regular coffee.  And, the thing that has impressed me most, is that their machine has lasted years.  They have had it as long as I have known them, so about 10 years. They do roll their eyes at how much they spent, but I think it has been worth it for them. So, I hope you find one you like!

and FWIW, I waited over 10 years to get a vitamix. Now that I have one I wish I hadn't waited so long. I use it several times a day and I love it. So, if you know you will use a espresso machine then you should get a great one.

• Like 2

I have no idea, lol. But I want you to know that I have some friends who did a major splurge on a really good espresso machine and grinder and they have never regretted it. They have cappuccino every morning and it takes no more time than making regular coffee. And, the thing that has impressed me most, is that their machine has lasted years. They have had it as long as I have known them, so about 10 years. They do roll their eyes at how much they spent, but I think it has been worth it for them. So, I hope you find one you like!

and FWIW, I waited over 10 years to get a vitamix. Now that I have one I wish I hadn't waited so long. I use it several times a day and I love it. So, if you know you will use a espresso machine then you should get a great one.

Totally agree with this. I was a hard sell for DH, and thought it was a crazy way to spend money. Our first machine became my favorite luxury item of all time. We used it so much, every day. And each time, I'd close my eyes and thank DH for convincing me to do it. :)

Our new machine. Oh my. Big puffy heart it. I don't have aspirations to be a barista, I don't want to fiddle, I want my coffee and fast. It's heavenly. And I'm happy everyday with it.

Oh, and I checked out the Saeco that Costco carries - I would watch videos on both. Same price range, I think, but DH specifically didn't want a Saeco. He didn't want any of the Costco machines for various reasons that I can't recall now. But ... He just researched in June, I can ask him, if you want. I did notice one person said the foam wasn't hot enough with the Saeco. That might be part of it. We bought our Gaggia from Whole Latte Love.

• Like 1

Nespresso doesn't compare to real espresso. It's way better than Keurig, but no. Iced coffee has its own place in my heart. A fancy maker wouldn't prevent me from making it. I use a pitcher similar to this that I got at Costco last year, and it's much easier than fussing with cheesecloth and whatnot. Takeya Flash Chill® Iced Tea Maker (2 Quarts, Blueberry) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0095ZBJSS/ I fill it and sit it on the counter overnight, then dump the grounds and refrigerate the rest. 4 oz coffee makes 2 qts.

Thank you! I want to start making mine and the whole cheesecloth thing wasn't sounding great.

Totally agree with this. I was a hard sell for DH, and thought it was a crazy way to spend money. Our first machine became my favorite luxury item of all time. We used it so much, every day. And each time, I'd close my eyes and thank DH for convincing me to do it. :)

Our new machine. Oh my. Big puffy heart it. I don't have aspirations to be a barista, I don't want to fiddle, I want my coffee and fast. It's heavenly. And I'm happy everyday with it.

Oh, and I checked out the Saeco that Costco carries - I would watch videos on both. Same price range, I think, but DH specifically didn't want a Saeco. He didn't want any of the Costco machines for various reasons that I can't recall now. But ... He just researched in June, I can ask him, if you want. I did notice one person said the foam wasn't hot enough with the Saeco. That might be part of it. We bought our Gaggia from Whole Latte Love.

I see.  Well, I haven't been researching, so I don't know anything about them other than the Jura, a little bit.

Can you make a flat white with your new one just as well as the old one?

I see. Well, I haven't been researching, so I don't know anything about them other than the Jura, a little bit.

Can you make a flat white with your new one just as well as the old one?

That is a good question. I've been on a cap kick. Now I have an assignment ... :D

I'll see what I can do!

Wish you all lived close enough to drop by and try it.

• Like 1

Most Italians don't have an espresso machine in their homes, they have a Bialetti. Like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bialetti-Moka-Express-Espresso-Maker/dp/B00004RFRU

You can get a large one, or a small one. Cheap, easy, best with bottled or filtered water, a good ground or freshly ground coffee, frothed milk (they make a simple gadget), and whatever else you like and you're good to go.

• Like 6

Honestly, if it's not specifically to drink an espresso, rather you'll be using milk, cream, to dilute it, why go to the time, energy and expense of trying to make a perfect espresso? Have you ever had really good coffee made in a percolator? It is amazing, too. It's the quality of the coffee and the milk/cream that can make the flavour great, not just the thousand dollar machine.

Word. My Sunbeam percolator (picked up at a antique shop) and stovetop moka pot together cost about $50. Add in an electric frother for another $20 and....ahhhh.

Edited by Aelwydd
  • Like 1

Most Italians don't have an espresso machine in their homes, they have a Bialetti. Like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bialetti-Moka-Express-Espresso-Maker/dp/B00004RFRU

You can get a large one, or a small one. Cheap, easy, best with bottled or filtered water, a good ground or freshly ground coffee, frothed milk (they make a simple gadget), and whatever else you like and you're good to go.

Beat me to it. Anyway, that's what we use.

• Like 1

Okay so here's what I've decided (for the moment anyway). I bought a grinder (I got a lower end burr grinder by Bodum - had good reviews and I'm not gonna be espresso grinding in it, so I figured it would be good for now). I am planning on using the grinder along with my French press for now for my regular coffee. I'll use my big gallon jug for making my cold press and I will just use a decaf bean for that. I will save up for my espresso maker, and since I'm going to get one with a built in grinder, I think it'll be okay that I bought a less expensive grinder for my coffee.

OR, I'll stick with my good coffee and get a darn Nespresso for the occasions I want a cappucino (depending on how much I wind up loving my coffee setup).

So, I have (mostly) solved my coffee issues but still haven't gotten 100% straight on espresso. ;-p

Now, one more question, where do you all get your coffee?

Editing to add something else; I did my usual measurements with a good coffee in my French press and left it for the 4 minutes Stumptown says to leave it and it tasted like water. Yuck! I'm looking at their measurements and it's 8 T coffee in the French press - that's going to be 3/4 cup of beans daily. Is this fairly accurate? How much coffee do you go through? I'm assuming the French press needs more because it's ground more coarsely and doesn't steep long, but I'm thinking this is going to be pricey with good coffee.

Edited by StaceyinLA

Now Iced coffee I know, lol.  This is the recipe we have been using for years

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/27/dining/276drex.html?action=click&contentCollection=Food&module=RelatedCoverage&region=Marginalia&pgtype=article

Note: this makes a concentrate. When you want to drink it, you dilute it, making your drink half concentrate, half water.  We double the recipe with no problem. It does increase our coffee usage by quite a bit. We also make it in our french press. It's a snap.

I thought you liked the Pioneer Woman's iced coffee recipe?

We get our coffee from our local super coffee snob place, lol. They have their own blends and they roast it themselves. But, one thing we noticed with the iced coffee recipe is that it seems to make even good but not great coffee taste better. So, if we can't afford the top shelf beans that week, we don't feel to bad going down a level. We don't get supermarket coffee or anything like that, just maybe something good from the co-op instead of from the coffee store.

Re: grinders--

Get a burr grinder, not a blade grinder.  Blade grinders burn the beans while they grind.  Burr grinders don't.  

Now Iced coffee I know, lol. This is the recipe we have been using for years

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/27/dining/276drex.html?action=click&contentCollection=Food&module=RelatedCoverage&region=Marginalia&pgtype=article

Note: this makes a concentrate. When you want to drink it, you dilute it, making your drink half concentrate, half water. We double the recipe with no problem. It does increase our coffee usage by quite a bit. We also make it in our french press. It's a snap.

I thought you liked the Pioneer Woman's iced coffee recipe?

We get our coffee from our local super coffee snob place, lol. They have their own blends and they roast it themselves. But, one thing we noticed with the iced coffee recipe is that it seems to make even good but not great coffee taste better. So, if we can't afford the top shelf beans that week, we don't feel to bad going down a level. We don't get supermarket coffee or anything like that, just maybe something good from the co-op instead of from the coffee store.

I do use the Pioneer Woman's recipe (well, I make a gallon at a time versus two gallons, but I just adjust her measurements).

Have you ever used one of the stainless versions of this? I would be interested in trying it for the money, but I don't like to cook or heat anything in aluminum.

Word. My Sunbeam percolator (picked up at a antique shop) and stovetop moka pot together cost about $50. Add in an electric frother for another $20 and....ahhhh.

So why would you need both of these? Does one do coffee and the other espresso?

I just saw that in a movie set in France. My girlfriend has one and love is it. I tried coffee from it several times and it tasted great, but I don't know much about coffee and am not very particular. :P

Have you ever used one of the stainless versions of this? I would be interested in trying it for the money, but I don't like to cook or heat anything in aluminum.

It works the same way.  I don't notice a difference, but some people do.  The biggest issues people have with it are washing it, poor water quality, heating on high heat.

Things to keep in mind:

1) Don't wash with soap and water, just rinse with tap water.

2) Don't tamp down the coffee -- you fill it, make sure there are no grounds around the edges that wouldn't let it seal properly when you screw on the top, but never tamp down.

3) I use room-temp bottled water (this would be true regardless of the method I used to brew...especially where I live.  Filtered water is also fine)

4) Heat on LOW until you hear the bubbling (I use my simmer burner on the lowest setting...I have a gas stove).  

It took me a little while to get my coffee/milk/sugar/cocoa amounts right -- and now I like my home brew better than what they make at my local coffee bar (trust me, that's saying a LOT -- because the coffee bar is the absolute best cappuccino I've had.  4 out of my 5 kids (thus far) also like my coffee -- which is why I need a bigger pot.  During the summer, we brew it and then leave it in the fridge and then make moca protein shakes for breakfast.  YUMMY.

FWIW, I am not a coffee snob -- but I never drank coffee before moving to Italy.  I cannot stand American coffee.  

After my espresso machine broke, and hating EVERY coffee maker I tried, I started to make turkish coffee. I love it SO MUCH! There is a bit at the bottom you can't drink but I don't mind. I LOVE the taste of my coffee now.

I am very picky with coffee. Thwre is a demon roast I will deive q.5 hours to get periodicallh, but for convenience? I love Seattle's Best dark intense red #5. I need a strong tasting coffee. Starbucks is like tea to me. I will never understand the K-cup craze.

My husband uses the Bialetti. I bought one of these to avoid the aluminum and LOVE it more than anything I've ever used:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01867PTUY/ref=mp_s_a_1_sc_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1468318345&sr=8-3-spell&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=coffee+glass+carafe+stainless+filtwr

No more machines here. I love this thing so much. (I don't have this exact brand but it is the same concept.