Menu

Do you do graduation announcements?

I keep being asked by people for ds' graduation announcement.  He is not interested in having them made and frankly we could do without the additional expense.  I've been a bit surprised at the repeated requests from people (not family) who obviously know that he is graduating.  They are not asking to be invited to a graduation ceremony - just for the announcement.  Have you run into this?  (Other homeschool friends of ours have done the announcements but they've had an actual ceremony too through their co-op.  We are not doing any of that.)

We haven't done graduation announcements.  My kid does not want them.  No one is asking, though.

What people have asked me is why I have not "celebrated" my graduate on facebook.  I have no objections to facebook but don't post a lot, and I don't post about my kids (their request).  I'm happy to read others' grad announcements but I don't like people telling me I ought to do it for my own kid - who doesn't want me to do it! 

ETA:  One reason my kid may not want them:  All the grad announcements we've received the past few years include the name of the very fine university the graduate is going to.   No one says "he's headed for community college in the fall!"  :lol:

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

We made photo invitations to the party, but no announcements.  As far as receiving announcements, this year was the first time we received an announcement (as opposed to a party invitation) from anyone; that student graduated from public school. 

• Like 1

When people ask about announcements, what they are usually really asking about is the senior photo that often goes with it. 

I have a 3-ring binder full of them, dating back to the 1970s! 

Four decades worth of senior pictures of other people's kids?

Do you ever look at them?

• Like 2

We recently received a (homeschool) graduation announcement that was made at shutterfly.  This looks like something that we will probably do.  Some of the options were only 40 cents per card.  And if you could get it done this weekend, they have a 30 percent off code through July 5.

• Like 2

We did graduation announcements for our public school graduate -- we took one of his senior photos (generously taken and provided by his stepmother) and created an announcement that we printed on 5x7 photo paper. They were lovely and we got many compliments.

I expect to do the same for our home schoolers -- I am pretty sure my rising Sophomore plans to attend the graduation ceremony put on by our co-op/Enrichment group.

• Like 1

We haven't done graduation announcements.  My kid does not want them.  No one is asking, though.

What people have asked me is why I have not "celebrated" my graduate on facebook.  I have no objections to facebook but don't post a lot, and I don't post about my kids (their request).  I'm happy to read others' grad announcements but I don't like people telling me I ought to do it for my own kid - who doesn't want me to do it! 

ETA:  One reason my kid may not want them:  All the grad announcements we've received the past few years include the name of the very fine university the graduate is going to.   No one says "he's headed for community college in the fall!"  :lol:

We are very excited that ds is headed to community college in the fall.  He expects to transfer to the state U in two years.  I think the community college is very fine.  In fact I was impressed by the smaller class sizes that are actually taught by professors.  The fact that he is 100% focused already on college is why he's not interested in graduation announcements, parties etc.  That was "so high school"! 

• Like 2

We are very excited that ds is headed to community college in the fall.  He expects to transfer to the state U in two years.  I think the community college is very fine.  In fact I was impressed by the smaller class sizes that are actually taught by professors.  The fact that he is 100% focused already on college is why he's not interested in graduation announcements, parties etc.  That was "so high school"! 

Yes, we are happy to be sending our boy there too. 

Just saying that most grad announcements I've seen are coming from people who are not sending their kids to the CC or the State U but rather to more elite schools.   Just my experience. 

• Like 1

DD22 wanted announcements when she graduated, so we did postcard style with a couple of cool pictures of her and mailed those out to relatives.  Not very expensive and it gave her a way to let her relations know she was done with high school and where she was headed off to college.

DS20 said "no way" and so we did not send out announcements for him.  His choice.  I did have him update his facebook page with his college info so that his far-away relatives could see it.

We sent some generic announcements to out-of-area friends and family with a picture inside. I got them from homeschooldiploma.com when I ordered his diploma.

Locals got an emailed invite to his graduation and reception with a local group.

I'm not sure what #2 will want. Probably a photo announcement, but she wants the ceremony with the same group. And a party at home too. 

• Like 1

Yes. I was going to do just a party (ie invites locally & to very close family), but my mom said that the extended family were going to want announcements, so I did some of those too. I printed them all at home (our printer prints decent pictures). 

I never did a high school or a college graduation, and later in life, I actually regretted that I didn't do something to mark those transition times. It didn't seem like a big deal at the time, but later I felt that I would have weathered transitions easier with some kind of "marker," rather than just up and changing things. So, I felt it was important to do something.

• Like 2

Four decades worth of senior pictures of other people's kids?

Do you ever look at them?

Yes, I do! 

Every year when I update it with the new crop of photos, and sometimes at family parties - I have a large extended family and the kids like seeing parents/aunts/uncles in their high school years. Big hair from the 1980s is always good for a laugh. 

We have photos that go back practically to the invention of photography. Four decades of senior pictures is nothing  :laugh:

• Like 2