Menu

Wasn't there a summer movie thread somewhere?

creekland

I thought I recall seeing a summer movie thread where we could share what we've seen and what we thought about it, but either I'm remembering that incorrectly or I'm having trouble finding it.

This was all spurred because hubby, youngest, and I watched Central Intelligence today and absolutely loved it!  There is some crude humor and (some) bad language, so the movie isn't for the super sensitive, but if one doesn't mind a little bit of that and enjoys humor and action... this one was really cute in our opinion.

Then my mind got wondering about the other movies I see listed or coming up and which ones of those could be worth watching... so if someone could link to that thread (if I'm remembering it correctly), I'd appreciate it!

Every now and then we like watching matinees at the theater, but I like to be reasonably certain they're worth seeing.  This time we just took a wild shot and got lucky.

I agree about Central Intelligence, it was funny and not super violent or super crude. A lot better than I thought it would be.

I saw Love and Friendship a few weeks ago. It was good, I definitely need to see it again. It was very clever, and I love Kate Beckinsale. It is based on J Austen's novella Lady Susan.

• Like 2

I love the movies and am hoping to see as many of the good ones as I can this summer before ds is off to college.  I really like Rotten Tomatoes to get an overview, but I'm looking forward to everyone's thoughts here.

We saw Jungle Book and highly recommend it.  Ds and dh had to drag me, because that was one I didn't want to see.  I was still in love with the first.  In the end, I like the second one better, particularly the ending.  We had a good discussion about that.

We saw Warcraft yesterday.  With a 29% tomato rating, it wasn't on the top of my list, but it had an 81% popcorn rating.  The huge difference piqued my interest.  Ds and I really liked it and hope there is a sequel.  I think it was a brave way to start a movie franchise, but I don't want to give too much away.  It's not the best movie out there and has flaws in most every area, but overall a solid enjoyable pic.  I get why the reviewers didn't like it.  One big reason: They are comparing it to LOTR!  GImme a break.  It's an origin story for a video game, not classic literature!  (Oh, we are DragonCon and RPG aficionados, so YMMV.  We have never played WOW, though.)

• Like 2

New movies?  Our favorite so far is Jungle Book!  I usually get a bit bored with children's movies these days, but this one was an absolute gem!  We saw Now You See Me 2 last week because it was the only one playing that looked remotely interesting.  We gave it a 2 out of 5, though it did keep our interest.  :)  Those are the only new movies we've seen so far.

• Like 1

Jungle Book, huh?  I'd kind of mentally nixed that one since I didn't really care for the remake of King Kong or some other movies where I know the story.  Maybe I'll need to reconsider.

Middle son saw Now You See Me 2 and recommended it, but he didn't think it was as good as the first one.  We almost went to see that yesterday, but the timing worked out better for Central Intelligence.  I'm glad it worked out that way.

Can't say I've heard of Love and Friendship.  I'll have to see if it's on or not, and then google.  Is it mainly a "gal" movie or would hubby and/or the boys like it too?  We all liked Marigold Hotel, McFarland USA, and the first My Big Fat Greek Wedding from years ago, so they're not just action fans.

Jungle Book, huh?  I'd kind of mentally nixed that one since I didn't really care for the remake of King Kong or some other movies where I know the story.  Maybe I'll need to reconsider.

Yeah, I had to be dragged with the promise of lots of popcorn, but Favreau is of our generation and loved the original.  He both paid it respect and put his own new thoughts into it.  (Ooh, it's hard to discuss movies without saying too much in case people haven't seen it yet. I keep deleting!)

Love this thread idea.  Now You See Me 2 definitely wasn't as good as the first one.  Worth waiting for Netflix IMO.

I think we're going to wait and see it on Netflix.  Thanks for adding your thoughts to solidify my idea.  I really only like watching super good movies in the theater.

• Like 1

Love and friendship is witty. It's Jane Austen so people are sitting in a fancy room or taking a walk talking to each other. It was hilarious. My husband would like it, he likes other JA movies, though. It is basically a movie of just witty banter. The editing was...different, fresh, strange in a few spots.

• Like 1

We don't generally go to the movie theatre but I did take the girls to see Finding Dory (it was either that or Angry Birds- shudder). I thought Dory was pretty good, not earth shattering like some Pixar movies but solidly enjoyable, not that I would watch it without kids. Dh and I watched the new X-Men- I thought it much better than the last one which was only meh to me, I thought the new Captain America was disappointing.

I notice that looking through the upcoming movies that I mostly know about kid movies, we don't have cable so I don't always see previews for movies. 

I really want to see:

-BFG, we adore Dahl, it is coming out next week

-Captain Fantastic (NOT a super hero film)

-Pete's Dragon- I so enjoyed the original as a kid and the preview looks good

-Bridget's Jones Baby- for fun and Colin Firth

-Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Tim Burton)

- Dr. Strange- Cumberbatch

-Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find them

Love and friendship is witty. It's Jane Austen so people are sitting in a fancy room or taking a walk talking to each other. It was hilarious. My husband would like it, he likes other JA movies, though. It is basically a movie of just witty banter. The editing was...different, fresh, strange in a few spots.

I haven't even seen this previewed and it isn't playing here, guess I'll have to catch it when it comes to video. I never was a Jane Austen fan but read Pride and Prejudice last year and thoroughly enjoyed it, then I watched THE movie (BBC version of course) and just enjoyed it so, as did my girls.

Love and Friendship isn't showing around here.  I'm guessing it's been out a while?

Captain Fantastic isn't super hero?  I guess I'll have to look up what it IS.  I'd have guessed super hero and I don't do those.  Hubby and the boys do, but I draw my line there.  I trudged off to see Guardians of the Galaxy and was bored stiff.  After that, "Feel free to go without me!"  I like (most) sci-fi and some action films, but super hero and video games aren't the same.

• Like 1

Love and Friendship isn't showing around here.  I'm guessing it's been out a while?

Captain Fantastic isn't super hero?  I guess I'll have to look up what it IS.  I'd have guessed super hero and I don't do those.  Hubby and the boys do, but I draw my line there.  I trudged off to see Guardians of the Galaxy and was bored stiff.  After that, "Feel free to go without me!"  I like (most) sci-fi and some action films, but super hero and video games aren't the same.

Definitely not super hero, check it out  (I heard about it on here) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3553976/

Guardians of the Galaxy was so weird, I didn't want to see it at all but it was enjoyable in a silly way to me (although I can see why others wouldn't enjoy it- it is really not so much like typical Marvel films though). I really enjoyed Deadpool too, but again it is really different. I've figured out comedy is my favorite genre but there just doesn't seem to be a lot of good comedies these days. I did want to see the Central Intelligence as it looked fun.

Edited by soror

Definitely not super hero, check it out  (I heard about it on here) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3553976/

Guardians of the Galaxy was so weird, I didn't want to see it at all but it was enjoyable in a silly way to me (although I can see why others wouldn't enjoy it- it is really not so much like typical Marvel films though). I really enjoyed Deadpool too, but again it is really different. I've figured out comedy is my favorite genre but there just doesn't seem to be a lot of good comedies these days. I did want to see the Central Intelligence as it looked fun.

That does look promising!  Thanks for the link!

Central Intelligence is an awesome comedy IMO - as long as one doesn't need squeaky clean (it's not overly dirty either).  I love Kevin Hart's part and how he played it.  Very well written and very well played!  It's really nice that they kept him as a "good guy" throughout (faithful to his high school sweetheart and friends, etc, even when others aren't).  That doesn't happen often in movies.

• Like 2

This was all spurred because hubby, youngest, and I watched Central Intelligence today and absolutely loved it! There is some crude humor and (some) bad language, so the movie isn't for the super sensitive, but if one doesn't mind a little bit of that and enjoys humor and action... this one was really cute in our opinion.

Thank you, Creekland! A couple of hours ago I stood looking at the poster thinking it looked like the stupidest thing ever, but I went. It was awesome. Haven't laughed so hard in a long time.

• Like 1

We don't generally go to the movie theatre but I did take the girls to see Finding Dory (it was either that or Angry Birds- shudder). I thought Dory was pretty good, not earth shattering like some Pixar movies but solidly enjoyable, not that I would watch it without kids. Dh and I watched the new X-Men- I thought it much better than the last one which was only meh to me, I thought the new Captain America was disappointing.

I notice that looking through the upcoming movies that I mostly know about kid movies, we don't have cable so I don't always see previews for movies. 

I really want to see:

-BFG, we adore Dahl, it is coming out next week

-Captain Fantastic (NOT a super hero film)

-Pete's Dragon- I so enjoyed the original as a kid and the preview looks good

-Bridget's Jones Baby- for fun and Colin Firth

-Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Tim Burton)

- Dr. Strange- Cumberbatch

-Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find them

We want to see BFG too!  The trailer looked really good.  Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children also looked good.

• Like 1

Joules, we saw The Nice Guys & I enjoyed it. I thought Ryan Gosling & Russell Crowe played off of each other really well. Plus, it was just fun to see all the 70s fashions, etc..... I'd definitely give it a thumbs-up if this is your style of movie. (It is an R-rated movie for those that don't know.)

:lol:

Dd & I saw the second Now You See Me movie. It was entertaining & forgettable, which is about what I expect from a summer movie. We really enjoyed the first one & I think this sequel wasn't quite as good as the first one, but was a decent sequel (unlike some sequels).

The only other movie I've seen in the theater lately was a retro screening of Raiders of the Lost Ark. But, I knew I would love that one (it's my favorite movie) & it was fun to see it again on the big screen in a packed theater (really packed) & that it still elicits applause at the end.

Joules, we saw The Nice Guys & I enjoyed it. I thought Ryan Gosling & Russell Crowe played off of each other really well. Plus, it was just fun to see all the 70s fashions, etc..... I'd definitely give it a thumbs-up if this is your style of movie. (It is an R-rated movie for those that don't know.)

:lol:

Looks great!  It's not at our local theater, but not a bad drive away.  I may go see it tomorrow.  (Dh is out of town, ds is lost in a book, and I'm taking the weekend off!)

• Like 1

The only other movie I've seen in the theater lately was a retro screening of Raiders of the Lost Ark. But, I knew I would love that one (it's my favorite movie) & it was fun to see it again on the big screen in a packed theater (really packed) & that it still elicits applause at the end.

That brings back memories.  I probably saw that 30 times in the theater.  I spent lots of time at the movies as a kid...they were air-conditioned and my home was not.  Georgia summers are rough.

• Like 1

That brings back memories.  I probably saw that 30 times in the theater. 

Oh, boy, I did too. My friend & I loved it so much, we would buy a ticket for the earliest show, then sit there all day through all the showings & watch it over & over. I literally had the whole thing memorized, know all the scene cuts, etc....

(And I don't like any of the other Indiana Jones movies. At all.)

Last night, my wife and I watched "13 Hours" The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/13_Hours:_The_Secret_Soldiers_of_Benghazi

We live n Colombia and so far, this movie is not on the Netflix we have down here, but possibly it is available to you in the USA on Netflix, or somewhere else.  My wife found it on the web and we watched. It was in Spanish, but I have a good idea of what went on in the movie.

My wife is Colombian. She said the movie should get nominated for Oscars.  She watches *lots* of movies. I don't.  She said this is an incredible movie. However, the fact that it is based on a true story, makes it sad. 

I had been waiting for it to come to the local theater in Cali.  I think it was scheduled  in February or March, and then they postponed it, once or twice, and when it was presented in the theater in Cali, for some reason we couldn't go at that time.  I look forward to watching it in U.S. English, which is my native language.  An Action movie based on a true story.

Ds & I went to see Swiss Army Man today, winner of best director at Sundance & starring Daniel Radcliffe & Paul Dano.

We both really liked it & think it provides a lot of food for thought. But, it is definitely unlikely to be a box office hit & some may be too offended to really ponder some of the deep questions & issues it raises. Ymmv, so be forewarned.

On the surface, it's surreal, & weird, & madcap, & zany, & somewhat gross (fart jokes, etc...). But, its true depth lies in its very deep and touching examination of what it means to be human, to find human connection, to love, to hope, to dream. It also makes you question reality, sanity, societal norms, & the reliability of the narrator. What is true? What the narrator tells you? What "normal society" perceives the situation to be? Is it madness? And I definitely appreciated it for that.

The most unique film I've seen in years.

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 2

We really enjoyed the Jungle Book, although my resident herpetologist pointed out that either Kaa was the world's biggest Indian Rock Python, or Mowgli was about 2...Indian Rocks are big snakes (and she adored that Kaa is female, since female pythons are bigger than males), but they're not THAT big! She did love the fact that the markings were correct, though.

She adored the pangolin-so much so that we now are the proud owners of a stuffed version.

She's looking forward to "The Secret Lives of Pets", too.

• Like 1

Ds & I went to see Swiss Army Man today, winner of best director at Sundance & starring Daniel Radcliffe & Paul Dano.

We both really liked it & think it provides a lot of food for thought. But, it is definitely unlikely to be a box office hit & some may be too offended to really ponder some of the deep questions & issues it raises. Ymmv, so be forewarned.

On the surface, it's surreal, & weird, & madcap, & zany, & somewhat gross (fart jokes, etc...). But, its true depth lies in its very deep and touching examination of what it means to be human, to find human connection, to love, to hope, to dream. It also makes you question reality, sanity, societal norms, & the reliability of the narrator. What is true? What the narrator tells you? What "normal society" perceives the situation to be? Is it madness? And I definitely appreciated it for that.

The most unique film I've seen in years.

I really want to see this too, saw a clip and interview w/ Daniel Radcliffe. I don't think it is playing here though, in our small town we usually only get the big movies.