Menu

Best read alouds for K-1, especially girly ones?

My dd who is in between K and 1 is not very interested in read alouds besides things like Fancy Nancy or Pinkalicious type stuff. She has never been interested in any books that I am reading out loud to her brother. I thought you guys would have some great suggestions that would make her excited for read aloud time? Thanks!

Betsy-Tacy

Charlotte's Web

Ramona the Brave

The Secret Garden

Sara Crewe (Burnett wrote this as a novella first, then developed it into A Little Princess, so this one moves faster)

Alice in Wonderland

For non-classics that might hook her:

Anna Hibiscus

Princess in Black

Clementine

• Like 1

Tales from Beatrix Potter

Frog and Toad stories

Ramona series (although we think she is naughty!)

Betsy-Tacy

Pippi Longstocking series
The Children of Noisy Village series

In Grandma's Attic series

Cobble Street Cousins series (Rylant)

Charlotte's Web

James Herriot's Treasury for Children

Aesop's Fables

Just So Stories

The Five Little Peppers and How They Grew (nice if you can get this on audiobook)

Little House in the Big Woods

Milly-Molly-Mandy (reading it may drive you crazy, but little girls seem to like it) :)

• Like 1

Miss Rumphius

Penderwicks series

The Moffatts

Best Christmas Pageant Ever

Patricia St. John's books (Christian)

Faerie Gold

Disclaimer: I'm not sure if they are girly books.

Edited by Random

My girls were addicted for a few years to rainbow magic fairy books...they read SO MANY of those!! And not girly, but Elephant and Piggy were also loved. And I've always try to instill liking for non fiction, we have read many biographies (like childhood of famous Americans), and general books about several topics (weather, insects etc)

DD loved Milly-Molly-Mandy. We have both volumes.

Raggedy Ann Stories

The Night Fairy

Ozma of Oz

No Flying in the House

Ballet Shoes

The Secret Garden

Nurse Matilda

The Birchbark House

Little House in the Big Woods

The Lost Princess

The Ordinary Princess

Twig

Big Susan

Loving this list.

May I add Click Clack Moo and all the amazing sequels.

I'd forgotten, my oldest dd loved the Little House books at that age, until we got to On the Shores of Silver Lake, and I cried like a baby at the beginning. She was so worried about me that she thought we should move on to the next book.

Thanks for the ideas! I'm making a list to try over the summer. She loves picture books, but I thought going into 1st grade, she should be developing a longer attention span. She hasn't cared for the Fudge books, Ramona, Charlotte's Web, Charlie and the Chocolate factory, Boxcar Children. I don't know, maybe I should just embrace the picture books awhile longer.

• Like 1

I KNOW that I will get a lot of flack for this suggestion, but my kids loved the Junie B. Jones series.

People hate it because Junie is in public school and because she sometimes talks back.

We loved it. My dc found the stories believable and relevant for their age. I liked Junie -- she was kind and fair, stood up to bullies and snobs, iirc. If you do look at these, I highly recommend that you read them in order, because Junie gets older as the books go on.

We also liked the Russel and Elisa series from Johanna Hurwitz. Both kids do go to school, but most of the action is set out of school. Again, start at the beginning. I think Russel is about 3 years old when he makes his first appearance.

Fell free to slam these choices! But my kids listened to them when they were bored by 'better' books. Then they went on to become decent readers and enjoyed 'better' books.

Thanks for the ideas! I'm making a list to try over the summer. She loves picture books, but I thought going into 1st grade, she should be developing a longer attention span. She hasn't cared for the Fudge books, Ramona, Charlotte's Web, Charlie and the Chocolate factory, Boxcar Children. I don't know, maybe I should just embrace the picture books awhile longer.

When we started chapter books, we continued with picture. I have saved all my favorites and still enjoy the myself, lol.

Are you reading any of the classic Easy Reader books, like Frog and Toad, France's, etc? They make good read alouds.

I feel you should meet children where they are. Picture books are great. Some picture books get a bit more advanced than the basic ones -- think of all the picture book version of fairy tales.

It's great you are going read alouds! Do you have a copy of Jim Trelease's Read Aloud Handbook? Lots of good suggestions there.

I don't know, maybe I should just embrace the picture books awhile longer.

There's nothing wrong with that. What picture books in particular does she like? I'm still blanking on what you mean by "girly" books, especially if she's not a fan of The Boxcar Children or Ramona!

Eloise 

Madeline

A Pair of Red Clogs

The Random House Book of Stories from the Ballet

books illustrated by K.Y. Craft, Paul O. Zelinsky or Gennady Spirin (Cinderella, 12 Dancing Princesses, The Firebird, Rumpelstiltskin, etc) - gorgeous pictures

Gwinna, The Jewel Heart (Barbara Bergher)

Hans Christian Andersen fairy tales like The Snow Queen, The Little Mermaid (it's not like the Disney version) and The Steadfast Tin Soldier

The Seven Year Old Wonder Book (Sylvia, the main character is six for most of the book and turns seven near the end)

A Fairy Went A-Marketing

• Like 1

Nancy Clancy books (chapter version of Fancy Nancy)

Anna and Elsa books

Junie B. Jones (I have a hard time swallowing becaus e of the grammar and attitude, but my girls like it)

Ivy and Bean

Tales from the Black Lagoon (chapter books)

The Princess in Black Series

Baby Mouse

I'd embrace the picture books, with a side of chapter books. There are so, so many great picture books out there. Here are some suggestions:

*The booklist from Five in a Row is a favorite- so many excellent books! I like to pair them with a couple nonfiction titles if I can.

*We love the fairy tales illustrated by KY Craft such as Sleeping Beauty, King Midas, Twelve Dancing Princesses

*Fairy tales by Paul O Zelinsky are awesome too.

*There are also quite a lot of excellent picture book biographies - some of our favorites are by Melissa Sweet

I have such a sweet spot for picture books. If you want more suggestions please feel free to ask - I can give you hundreds to keep you busy!!!

• Like 1

First, whatever she enjoys reading is great...Pinkalicious and Fancy Nancy can build a love of reading.  :-) 

You will probably have to find them used, but the Serendipity books by Stephen Cosgrove are amazing.  They aren't chapter books, but they have longer passages so they're a good transition book.   The writing and illustrations are beautiful...but they are filled with LOTS of girly stuff (Serendipidy, from the first book, is a cute pink sea monster.  Flutterby is about a pegasus horse, Trafalgar True is about a purple dragon and these adorable mouse/squirrel like creatures called kith and kin, etc., etc.) All of the books have a great message.

I have three boys, so I can only tell you what I loved at that age...though I do have one "girly" book that even my boys loved.  My boys LOVED the Junie B. Jones series (and so did I...discovered it babysitting and it is so, so funny).  It has pictures on nearly every page so is a good intro to chapter books.

I loved The Little Princess at that age...and the Secret Garden a little bit later (first chapter book I read myself at 2nd grade...but it has a slow start.  My mom started reading it to me earlier but I didn't stick with it then).

The Ordinary Princess I read later, but I think a little girl would LOVE it.  It's a chapter book but has gorgeous pictures scattered throughout.

I loved the Laura Ingalls Wilder books around first grade. 

If you like Christian books the Mandie Series is great (I think the first one is Mandie and the Secret Tunnel).   I named a doll Mandie I loved those books so much!

Edited by goldenecho

My girl that age loved many already listed but especially: Ramona, Little House on the Prairie series (her greatest love of all time), Charlotte's Web.

For picture books, there is a small series about a girl who takes dance.  Tallulah and her Tap Shoes is one of the books.  There is also a series of readers about girls in sports (Gymnastic Girl Maya's Story is one of the books).  My daughter loves to read those.  I think last time she had Amazon money from her grandmother, she picked out the entire series  There is also a series my daughter didn't like but it's Rainbow Magic Fairies.  Magic Treehouse books are another option.  The books that go along with American Girl dolls are pretty good.  I have found them at our library. 

You don't have to just read chapter books.  At K-1 age, I still read picture books if they happen to pick them out at the library.  I also read readers to my kids if they wanted to hear them.  My kids just grab books of all sorts at the library.  Sometimes they read the books and sometimes they want to hear me read them aloud. 

My 6 year old daughter really likes the Cobble Street Cousins series by Cynthia Rylant. They are simple chapter books with small illustrations on every page, and I think the writing is good enough to make them enjoyable read-alouds, too. They also fulfill just about every fantasy a girly girl could ever have and are very sweet.

If you want to keep with picture books, the author Ruth Sanderson retells and illustrates beautifully many fairy tales. My girls just love them, and I enjoy them too, which is not usual with "girly books." The fairy books by Andrew Lang? Jan Brett books? Jane Yolen might have some books she would enjoy. Do you think she would like Narnia? If not ready for the real books, The World of Narnia collection has shorter but good versions of the real books. The Giant Golden Book of Elves and Fairies. For read-aloud, Bedknobs and Broomsticks might be good. Also George MacDonald has The Princess and the Goblin and The Light Princess among others.