Menu

Do you consider yourself a social reformer?

I began homeschooling because I thought it was the best educational choice for my children. I am now protective and appreciative of our social/political environment that offers us the freedom to homeschool. The longer I homeschool the more I feel that we, as a society, need to shake off the static idea of what constitues what education is. Some people really do have really inflexible ideas about schooling. I think the homogenization of education really made us a less creative and interesting people.

So While I began and continue to homeschool because I think it's the best choice for our family, I'm also glad that I participate in a very small way with offering others a real example of what else is possible.

I wouldn't say social reform is the reason I homeschool nor would I label myself a "reformer", but...

I do believe that change begins with our children.

I do believe that how I'm educating/raising them is against the social norm to at least some degree, maybe even a huge degree.

Thus being a "social reformer" may not be my goal or reason, but it is a by-product of my life.

A friend gave me a bumper sticker that I just loved years ago (since upgraded to much larger vehicle) and was the first and only bumber sticker we ever put on one of our cars.

It showed a bunch of diapered babies and said: "Changing society one diaper at a time."

So if that makes me a social reformer - then I guess I am.:)

No, our homeschooling and unschooling had nothing to do with social reform. It was a good fit for our family at the time. Your question implies that some homeschoolers are ideologically driven; I certainly hope that their children's needs take precedence over parents' ideals.

Edited by tibbyl
spelling error

I began homeschooling because I thought it was the best educational choice for my children. I am now protective and appreciative of our social/political environment that offers us the freedom to homeschool. The longer I homeschool the more I feel that we, as a society, need to shake off the static idea of what constitues what education is. Some people really do have really inflexible ideas about schooling. I think the homogenization of education really made us a less creative and interesting people.

So While I began and continue to homeschool because I think it's the best choice for our family, I'm also glad that I participate in a very small way with offering others a real example of what else is possible.

:iagree: The phrase "charity starts at home" came to mind, but so does social reform, in my opinion. I figure doing things like homeschooling and breastfeeding in public are making it that bit more normal to the people I encounter, which makes it easier for the next bod who wants to do it.

:)

Rosie

In some respects, yes. (I have to say yes or I would have to edit my signature:001_smile:). I believe our homeschool and the majority of homeschools out there are counter-cultural in some way. For example, my dc have a regular diet of good literature and absolutely no sitcoms. They get lots of fresh air and time to explore in the middle of the day while the bulk of their peers are in artificial environments called classrooms. My dd10 actually enjoys participating in conversations on topics that many adults shy away from (politics, religion, social issues). I look at the way many Americans are being dumbed down by their choice of TV viewing, their role models (the View, Hollywood actors, rock stars:glare:), their lack of interpersonal skills from too much time in cyberspace, on a cellphone or texting rather than talking and I think ahhh! My hope is that my dc will not be like that but will see good and evil for what they are and that their actions will edify the good and trounce the evil around them. If that leads to social reform so be it.

No, our homeschooling and unschooling had nothing to do with social reform. It was a good fit for our family at the time. Your question implies that some homeschoolers are ideologically driven; I certainly hope that their children's needs take precidence over parents' ideals.

Well said.

I think the fact that my child learns to think and is not stuck with only "age appropriate" material has contributed to her having a greater understanding of the world than many other kids her age. I also think not spoon feeding kids information is a good thing. However, all that could be accomplished in the right school, so homeschooling in and of itself is not a game changer.