Menu

Dog Advice Again: Deafness -- UPDATE in Post 122

SeaConquest

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you might be able to persuade her that a deaf dog is unfit for sale.  I think you also might be able to persuade her that selling someone a deaf dog after having had him for several months and not noticed deafness, for $3000, will not reflect well on her reputation as a breeder (esp. a high-end breeder) should you choose to publicize your experience.

That said, if the difference is $750 between your positions, I can see avoiding the conflict for the $.  I am conflict averse.

• Like 4

And I don't think that $3000 for a dog is ridiculous at all, if you have $.

Many people spend many thousands of unnecessary $ on cars, or houses with extra bedrooms, or live in high COL areas because they like various aspects of the area.  

A dog (esp. for a homeschooling family!) is a serious and long-term part of your family life.  Everyone chooses how to spend the money they have; some people spend more than that on gaming systems!

• Like 1

My husband offered her a thousand. She wouldn't move from $1250, claiming that she spoke to her other high end breeder friends who convinced her that the champion bloodlines were worth the money, etc. She also said that she planned to put in some amendments to our agreement. I'm annoyed and pissed off, but if I alienate her and play hardball, we will never get a Cavalier from a reputable breeder.

Has she told you that if you alienate her you'll never get a Cav from a reputable breeder?  That doesn't make sense to me - she sold you a dog with a serious defect.  Why would that affect how you interact with other breeders selling you non-defective dogs?

Secondly, the champion bloodlines are probably totally worth the money for a dog that is not deaf.  In this case, it is possible she shouldn't even breed these lines again (and surely she has to report the defect).  

I dunno, I think she is having you on.

But again, for me, I totally understand just caving because you like the dog.  That is my way too.

• Like 3

And I don't think that $3000 for a dog is ridiculous at all, if you have $.

I agree with this, it is just the deaf part, and that I feel she has been taken advantage of,  that bothers me immensely.  I would spend thousands on a well bred dog in a heart beat (if and when I have the $$) as I understand the value, but I don't think the OP received what she bargained or paid for.  

But ultimately it is her decision and I don't judge her at all for making whatever one she feels comfortable with for her family.  

My husband offered her a thousand. She wouldn't move from $1250, claiming that she spoke to her other high end breeder friends who convinced her that the champion bloodlines were worth the money, etc. She also said that she planned to put in some amendments to our agreement. I'm annoyed and pissed off, but if I alienate her and play hardball, we will never get a Cavalier from a reputable breeder.

OP,

again, this is your decision, but the bloodlines are not worth a dime as this is a defective dog.  You can't show him, you can't breed him, you can't train him in a typical way.  

She is just playing hardball.  I really think very, very little of this breeder.  

You will find another breeder again in the future.  Maybe a little further from home, but you will.  

Just decide how hard you want to fight over how much $$ and stick with it.  Please do not get another dog from this breeder.  Please.  

• Like 6

Excuse me for being blunt, but this breeder is cracked in the head. The dog is a "cull" (if one is honest), her lines are suspect, that she missed the deafness is beyond strange, and you'd be doing a mitzvah to take the dogs in. But she is playing you.

I'd return the dog. And re-group. You will feel bad, but you'll fall in love with a future dog, and have dodged a bullet.

If she has another owner lined up, the dog's fate is not on your head. 

My 2 cents.

Bill

• Like 1

That's a very hard decision. :grouphug:

Does this mean you will be receiving another dog from this breeder, or did you get your money back?

She gave us the choice, and we elected to get our money back. We will regroup and get another dog down the road. I think we need an emotional break for now. She offered to serve as a reference if we want to get a Tri (she only breeds Blenheims). She believes that the deafness was because of something in utero, but regardless, I don't think she plans to breed that pair again.

• 1 month later...

We made the decision to return Cody. She assured me that he would be placed in a good home. We are heartbroken.

UPDATE:

Yesterday, was #ClearTheShelters here in San Diego, which inevitably made me think of our sweet Cody. When I inquired with the breeder as to how Cody was doing, she let me know that he was doing well, was as sweet as ever, but was still with her, waiting for his forever home.

When we found out that he was still with her, my husband and I both commented to each other about how much we missed him, and that we wanted him back. So, I am happy to report that Cody returned to us yesterday (at our behest, and at a substantial discount from our last discussions with her), and is now in his forever home with us. We are all over the moon happy. Turns out, we just couldn't live without our sweet Cody.

We will probably add a companion doggie friend for him in a few months, after he gets settled in, and has some ASL training under his belt. Thank you all for your support in this thread. :)

• Like 11