Menu

what to spend $40 on for myself?

My beloved gave me some funds for my birthday last week.

I'm going to get my hair cut tomorrow so that's a whopping $10.

I have no idea what to do with the remaining $40.

I was rattling off all the things I've been wanting to run out and get:

Explode the Code for K

fancy pink undies for newly potty trained B

hangers (why are they always breaking?!)

and which point dh told me I was forbidden to spend the money before telling him what it was for since I'm obviously incompetent at following the directive to spend it on myself.

So what to buy...

I honestly have no clue.

After I got my hair cut, I would go to this little coffee shop, order a drink, sip my drink and read a book all alone, no children, no distractions, for an hour. Then I would go to the store and buy a new bra because I really, really need one desperately. They just aren't built to last anymore.

Actually, I'm like you. It's hard for me to spend money on myself. I've got some money from my birthday last month, too, that I'm supposed to spend on myself, but I have three kids that need new shoes. Last Sunday getting ready for church, it was like watching the evil stepsister try to cram her big foot in a little slipper. She ended up wearing her sandals, but it's getting a little cold for that.

Whatever you buy, enjoy yourself.

Janet

Oh goodness, I have no problem spending money on myself, (or anyone else for that matter). I like to wander through the countless little antique/junk stores in the nearby town and see what catches my eye.

And the horses always have a list of things they want me to get for them too.

I love the idea of new shoes or purse because those will last and feel special for quite some time. :)

Have you tried a pair of sketcher shoes? They run between $60-$80, but I've seen them for $40 and under at discount shoe stores and occasionally Kohls. I have a pair that I love! I chose a brown pair because they look pretty w/a skirt or w/khakis and it feels like I'm in my slippers all day! Whenever I want to get a lot done around the house or about town I wear them.

HTH! Enjoy!

Hmmm, money just to spend on me? That would be hard! I would probably go buy books! Or maybe a couple of fall candles (from yankee candles) and then put the rest of the money on a Starbucks gift card. My FIL gave me a starbucks gift card for my last birthday, it was so nice to get something just when I felt like it!

Melissa

see this is my problem...

I'm so not the typical girly-girl.

I HATE clothing/shoe shopping.

Just jeans and a tshirt are all I want and how many of those can a girl really need? I can only wear one set at a time!

I don't own a purse. I bet I haven't owned more than 2 in my life. I prefer my backpack. And that's an upgrade from just throwing everything in the diaper bag for a decade.

I don't wear jewelry other than my wedding ring. Have it. Just don't wear it.

I don't wear makeup or do fancy lotions and such. In fact, I was cleaning out my bathroom drawer yesterday and found a small bottle of dried up lotion. My idea of a facial is to use soap and a wash cloth vs grabbing a baby wipe.

OH! I did buy an $8 tube of Mabeline SuperStay lipstick! The first makeup I've bought in probably a decade or more. And it really does stay too for well over 24 hours. I can't wash it off! LOL

Hobbies....

What are those?

Does being a curriculum junkie count?;)

If your a basics kind of gal, how about a cozy sweatshirt or sweater for the cool mornings?

A new pan or knife for cooking?

A new set of glasses?

Perfume?

A plant for the yard?

A movie or gift card for future movies and a pizza?

Some new fuzzy socks or slippers?

A magazine subscriptions?

A website subscription?

A date with dh?

A new comforter for your bedroom?

A couple gallons of paint to redecorate a room?

An accessory for something you already own (I am getting a new larger memory card for my camera for one birthday present).

A new pair of shoes?

A gift card for future car washes?

Undergarments or PJs for you?

After your haircut, have a pedicure and manicure. Or a massage.

OR

Go to the bookstore and buy a frou frou drink, then hunker down in a comfy chair to decide what books you will buy.

OR

Take a girlfriend out to lunch and enjoy a girls' break together. (I'm available, btw.)

OR

New underwear. I always need it and hate to spend the money on it.

OR

Is there something you've been wanting for the house? A framed family picture, or new throw pillows, or candles, etc.

OR

Some delightful chocolates and a movie to watch with hubby or a girlfriend, depending on the movie.

Enjoy!

I for one would like to know where you are getting your haircut for $10! Anywhere I go for that cheap botches up my hair every.single.time. My cheapest, decent haircut I can find is $40, not including a tip. :(

My current wishlist is:

Brightest Heaven of Invention: A Christian Guide to 6 Shakespeare Plays

A Family Guide to Narnia

French Bread Pan

Open Top Craft Tote (for storing hs stuff)

Books, Movies, Starbucks - I'd spend an afternoon at Barnes & Noble :)

I for one would like to know where you are getting your haircut for $10! Anywhere I go for that cheap botches up my hair every.single.time. My cheapest, decent haircut I can find is $40, not including a tip. :(

That's the truth!

I used to go to a lady that was about $60 - $80, but she was magic with my hair. But I can't afford to do that every 2 months or 3 months, which is the minimum I have to go to keep a cut neat looking.

I found out that the best thing I can do it get a shorter layered cut, about just about shoulder length. I have just enough natural curl that it works well enough for me, not a kinky curl, but more than a wave. Any longer though and the weight of my hair pulls the curl out. Plus I shed hair worse than any persian cat you've ever imagined. That doesn't change, but at least it's shorter hair falloing out! I'll never be a fashion plate, but at least now I can wash it and walk out of the house without a ponytail or looking like frankenstien's bride. There's a gal at a little old shop about a mile away that did a fairly decent job last time. $8 for cut and I leave a couple bucks for tip.

All the kids are sick ... so it looks like I won't be going out spending it on anything today.

My beloved gave me some funds for my birthday last week.

I'm going to get my hair cut tomorrow so that's a whopping $10.

I have no idea what to do with the remaining $40.

I was rattling off all the things I've been wanting to run out and get:

Explode the Code for K

fancy pink undies for newly potty trained B

hangers (why are they always breaking?!)

and which point dh told me I was forbidden to spend the money before telling him what it was for since I'm obviously incompetent at following the directive to spend it on myself.

So what to buy...

I honestly have no clue.

I'd buy yarn and knitting supplies. :) Chocolate. Mike's. Bubble Bath. Lotion. A new book for me!

I found out that the best thing I can do it get a shorter layered cut, about just about shoulder length. I have just enough natural curl that it works well enough for me, not a kinky curl, but more than a wave. Any longer though and the weight of my hair pulls the curl out. Plus I shed hair worse than any persian cat you've ever imagined. That doesn't change, but at least it's shorter hair falloing out! I'll never be a fashion plate, but at least now I can wash it and walk out of the house without a ponytail or looking like frankenstien's bride. There's a gal at a little old shop about a mile away that did a fairly decent job last time. $8 for cut and I leave a couple bucks for tip.

Martha - would you mind posting a pic of your hair or even pm-ing/emailing me? Your hair sounds just like mine (even the falling out!) and I'd love to not have it up in a ponytail everyday. My daily options are: ponytail, frankenstein's bride or spend an hour making it look nice. (Guess how often that one happens?!?) I'd love to see if your cut would work on me.....

Martha - would you mind posting a pic of your hair or even pm-ing/emailing me? Your hair sounds just like mine (even the falling out!) and I'd love to not have it up in a ponytail everyday. My daily options are: ponytail, frankenstein's bride or spend an hour making it look nice. (Guess how often that one happens?!?) I'd love to see if your cut would work on me.....

sure - I'll take a pic after my hair cut! Here's hoping it turns out decent liek last time! Don't jinx me! :D

I tried just cutting it really short a LONNNNNNNNG time ago, but it looked horrid and was a lot of work to make look decent. It always looked like I had bed head. But I was really pleasantly surprised when I got it all layers and cut to shoulder length last time. (the shortest I've had it in over a decade) I can still go all out styling it the once a year I chose to do so. I can still put it in a stumpy ponytail or barrette if neccessary. But the BEST thing is being able to wash and go! I might blow dry only my bangs a bit or add some anti-frizz, but that's it the majority fo the time. I love it. The longer bottom layer is starting to get just a bit too long in the back for the natural curl to do much more than be a limp wave, so off I go for a trim.:)