Menu

Gift for host family

HRAAB

My dd is studying in Germany this summer and wants to give a gift to the family she will be staying with. When it comes to buying gifts, I am pretty clueless.  I was thinking something unique from America, but what in the world would that be???  And what is appropriate?

We send maple syrup and the kids take chocolate chips and converted recipes to bake cookies. They might have to take baking soda or something with them. It's been a couple of years. Or bags with a picture of something from our country . Are you near a major site of interest? TShirts for kids.

• Like 2

I would send something light and not fragile.  Is there something that is unique to your state or area?  A pretty fabric piece (table runner), for example?  Or a nice wall calendar that has scenes of your state in it?  When my dd went to Central America for the first time, she brought a bag of wild rice (grown in our state), a kitchen towel that had a map of our state on it, and a box of instant snow (which we have in abundance in our state  :)).  Kind of random gifts, but they were fun.  Another dd brought a little dish made by a local potter, although she had to pack it carefully.

• Like 1

Board games are fun, and if your daughter knows how to play upon arrival, can serve as an early icebreaker.  Visually- or math- oriented games that don't entail a lot of language (Set, Five Crowns, Farkle etc) are easy to share cross-culturally.

I'd also second the idea of anything very specific/traditional to your part of the country.  And maps!  Europeans seem to adore maps  :laugh: ....

Best wishes for your daughter.

• Like 1

If you are from maple syrup country and aren't checking bags, you can take maple sugar candies on the flight. We took maple cream once thinking it would be solid enough; the young security guy was skeptical at first until an older security woman came over and started gushing about how yummy it is. So we got lucky. :) But I'd stick with candies from now on.

I like the idea of a tea towel, too, if you can find one representative of your state or area. It packs easily and everyone uses them. They can be very beautiful, I often give them as gifts for people I don't know well.

• Like 1

I would go with something more local culture than general Americana. Local products from your state, perhaps. I live in Arizona and rather than maple syrup, might send agave syrup or prickly pear jam. For a less edible gift, something made by a local craft person, maybe a landscape art print or something like that.

My dd is studying in Germany this summer and wants to give a gift to the family she will be staying with. When it comes to buying gifts, I am pretty clueless. I was thinking something unique from America, but what in the world would that be??? And what is appropriate?

I went overboard with individual gifts, so gap or Abercrombie shirts for the kids, a scarf for mom and leather gloves for dad.
  • Like 1