Menu

Non-violent computer games (for me)?

Jenny in Florida

Every now and then, I get in the mood to play a computer game. I'd like something with a story line, something that I could play on an ongoing basis, but something that does not involve killing or violence.

Since I'm in the mood to play now, I would also like it to be available to play online or download. 

Oh, and I'm cheap about getting things for myself. So, free or cheap is good.

Any thoughts?

This one is my all time favorite:

http://www.pogo.com/games/plants-vs-zombies

Technically violent, but not realistic at all..very cartoony.  You plant various types of plants that shoot things at zombies.  There are lots of twists and turns and things to discover.  It's something that takes quite awhile to get through.

They also have an inexpensive version for android tablets.  It's not as robust as the computer version, but still fun. 

I didn't like PV2 at all though.  Bummer...

This one is my all time favorite:

http://www.pogo.com/games/plants-vs-zombies

Technically violent, but not realistic at all..very cartoony.  You plant various types of plants that shoot things at zombies.  There are lots of twists and turns and things to discover.  It's something that takes quite awhile to get through.

They also have an inexpensive version for android tablets.  It's not as robust as the computer version, but still fun. 

I didn't like PV2 at all though.  Bummer...

Thanks, but I'd like to avoid even cartoony violence. (Just for reference, I quit playing Chicken Invaders because I felt badly about blowing up the chickens.)

Does it have to be computer games? If you have a Wii, DS, etc, you might like Harvest Moon. There is no violence, there are many different versions and storylines. The only thing, if you are pretty conserative religiously, is that there are usually some form of harvest goddess, with festivals (not all festivals are for the goddess though). It's a small aspect of the game, but is there. I tend to be old school and like HM Back To Nature (a PS1 game played on our computer with a free emulator). My husband prefers HM Grand Bazaar and Happiness Island.

• Like 2

Does it have to be computer games? If you have a Wii, DS, etc, you might like Harvest Moon. There is no violence, there are many different versions and storylines. The only thing, if you are pretty conserative religiously, is that there are usually some form of harvest goddess, with festivals (not all festivals are for the goddess though). It's a small aspect of the game, but is there. I tend to be old school and like HM Back To Nature (a PS1 game played on our computer with a free emulator). My husband prefers HM Grand Bazaar and Happiness Island.

Not at all conservative, and we do have a Wii . . . somewhere. I don't think it's even been hooked up since we moved a year ago.

I'd prefer PC, because that's what I have available during most of the time I would want to waste playing a game.

Tonight, for example, my husband had his RPG buddies over, and I spent the evening in my office hanging out with the dog. I don't have a book I'm really into at the moment, and when I got tired of watching Netflix, I decided I'd like to play a game. My computer is in the office.

Not at all conservative, and we do have a Wii . . . somewhere. I don't think it's even been hooked up since we moved a year ago.

I'd prefer PC, because that's what I have available during most of the time I would want to waste playing a game.

Tonight, for example, my husband had his RPG buddies over, and I spent the evening in my office hanging out with the dog. I don't have a book I'm really into at the moment, and when I got tired of watching Netflix, I decided I'd like to play a game. My computer is in the office.

Oh, I have spent many an evening in the computer room due to RPG nights (we call them MDG nights -Manly Dice Games - because my husband wasn't on board with my saying, "You and your friends enjoy your pretending games!")

You might see about getting a Steam account - their games are often on sale. My husband often buys packages of indie games called Humble Bundles that are reasonably priced. You'd have to research what isn't violent. And Kongregate.com has tons of free flash games, many of them not violent in the least (running a burger stand, escape the room games, etc).

• Like 3

I'm a time management game fiend, especially the restaurant ones :)  I like Big Fish Games' site.  You do need to download a client, but you get 1-hour free trials for all the games.  Some of my favorites are the Delicious series (I think Delicious: Emily's True Love is the first they have), Gardens Inc, the Sally games (Sally's Salon is one), Bistro Boulevard, and the Cake Mania series.  If you like those types of games, they have a subscription service (like audible) where you pay $7 for a credit a month.  One credit buys one non-collector's edition game.  If you don't want a service they frequently have 40% sales and weekly deals.

Have you played through the old Zork or Myst games from the 90's? I love those.

I like to play Zoo Tycoon or The Sims from time to time. No real story, but you create either a zoo (zoo tycoon) or you try to keep your little people happy in The Sims by getting them nice houses and jobs and stuff. Sounds boring, but is lots of fun.

• Like 1

Thanks, all. I will check out these titles.

To further complicate my request: While I find straight-up puzzle games boring, I also find most of the time management or puzzles-that-require-you-to-go-faster games really stressful. And I don't like anything creepy, since I most often end up playing when I'm sitting in a room by myself at night.

Blergh I honestly don't even know what I'm looking for.

• Like 1

One of my dc and I :001_wub:  :001_wub: :001_wub:  :001_wub:  :001_wub:  Nancy Drew PC games.  Nancy gets into some suspenseful situations, but no real violence.  She can "die" if she makes the wrong choice, but you always get a second chance.  Or third, or...  For gameplay, you solve puzzles, find clues, etc.  Maybe your library might have some of the games.  Ours has a few.  Some of the old games are tricky to install, but we have had no trouble with the games made in the last few years. 

ETA: I just saw you said "not creepy"... some of the games have a bit of a creep factor.  Not all of them, though.

Edited by TrixieB

I have an idea. Have you played Return to Mysterious Island? Or Secrets of Da Vinci? Both are on Big Fish. They are older, but there are sequels, and another few that are similar - one involves cave paintings, one is set in ancient Egypt. I can't quite recall the names. Oh, and Dream Chronicles was a fun little series, too.

No violence in any of those. Nothing fast-paced, just solve puzzles and explore at your own speed.

Hmmm. Now I want a new game like that... :)

ETA links: http://www.bigfishgames.com/games/2116/return-to-mysterious-island/

http://www.bigfishgames.com/games/2958/the-secrets-of-da-vinci/?pc

http://www.bigfishgames.com/games/2763/echo-secret-of-the-lost-cavern/?pc

Edited by Spryte

I have many Big Fish games. I prefer time management games but they have some story line games called Collector's Editions. They also run sales quite frequently. You get the first hour of playing for free so you can decide if you like a game well enough to actually purchase it. A long time ago I played some story lines games called Maestro, it was a trilogy. They were scary as in supernatural but I don't remember them having violence.

I used to play harvest moon on wii and that was a super relaxing game. My son told me there are 3 games similar to this on steam I'm thinking about trying. World's Dawn, stardew valley, wild season. None are free but I don't think they hit you up for more mid game.

If you are interested in a cute little app for a phone or iPad, Neko Atsume cat collector is a fun little diversion.

Edited by WoolySocks

Oh, I have spent many an evening in the computer room due to RPG nights (we call them MDG nights -Manly Dice Games - because my husband wasn't on board with my saying, "You and your friends enjoy your pretending games!")

You might see about getting a Steam account - their games are often on sale. My husband often buys packages of indie games called Humble Bundles that are reasonably priced. You'd have to research what isn't violent. And Kongregate.com has tons of free flash games, many of them not violent in the least (running a burger stand, escape the room games, etc).

I run 2 pretending games in my home a week  :lol: and my 11 year old is trying to talk me into running a group for him and his friends. My younger 3 made their own this morning out of my box of dice...

I'm going to second a Steam account and Kongregate plus time to research the games to find what you like. Googling internet archive games can also get you a load of older less violent games.

There are so many games out there and people's view and opinion on games is so individual that it's hard to give recommendations. I'm more of a co-operative console gamer [though the current generation of games seems intent to kill local co-op but that is a rant for a different day] which is quite different to what it sounds you looking for but big places like Steam and such have enough tools to help you narrow down to what you want.