Menu

Girl hair suggestions

SKL

My 9yos' hair is getting long again.  One of them (the younger, less self-sufficient one) has a lot of trouble with it.  She swims for an hour 2-3x per week, and is supposed to rinse / wash her hair in the shower and then comb it to keep it manageable.  But it gets really horrible, to the point where it's a battle to get a comb through it.  It's a lot better if I wash/comb it for her, but at some point she needs to be able to handle this.  The girls have week-long sleep-away camps this summer and she needs to be independent.  We can cut the hair short, but I wonder if there are other good ideas.

We tried detangler back when her hair used to be really long, but it just made it worse.

What kind of hair does she have? My child who has the most trouble with his long hair also have very curly hair, and something about the texture of that makes it easier to keep it in a braid if I take the time for it. If I sent him to camp, I would probably braid it right before he left and then tell him to keep it in the braid for the week, even though it'd be very messy at the end. 

My oldest has very fine, straight hair. Her hair just slips out of braids and pony tails. If she couldn't comb it, I would probably cut it short. 

• Like 1

my hair tangled a lot when I was young.  my mother *never* bought conditioner.  detangler is a joke.  I learned about conditioner when I was a teenager . . . big. difference.

1dd had VERY long hair at that age (easily to her waist).  it rarely had tangles.  I used conditioner on my girls' hair.  when washing - we focused on the scalp and NOT piling all the hair on top of the head while scrubbing.

make sure she's combing out with a big tooth comb from the bottom up (gradually going higher with each stroke), and it might be easier for her to start the process while she's still standing in the shower under running water.

eta: how does she wear her hair while swimming? if it's in braids or at least ponytails, it will help. she's  old enough to do a, big ponytail, then braid and finish off with an elastic.  and never loose in the wind. . .  

Edited by gardenmom5

If she would be game for cutting it a little, shoulder length is a nice length to still feel long but is easier to comb out/manage.  If pony tails don't work, there are some great, wide (2-3 inches) knit headbands that are snug and comfortable and keep your hair back off your face.  Something like that might work.  We got some at Walmart and they have been great.  You have to get the snug ones though, otherwise they just slip and don't really work well.  Ones that are fat on top but skinny at the bottom (where it goes under your hair, behind the neck) work best.

My DD went to a college campus summer program last year with waist-long hair, came home, and chopped it to shoulder length in her bathroom. Apparently, she discovered that waist length hair was more trouble than it was worth :).

DD's favorite hairstyle for summer camps, etc, is a simple bun formed around a hairgami or snap bracelet. Make a ponytail, roll hair up over the hairgami or bracelet, snap the hairgami or bracelet into a circle, arrange hair around, hair stays out of your face, untangled, and off your back all day. She likes the snake ones, which she arranges so the head is poking out.

• Like 1

Shoulder length is easier, and tangles less. But a good conditioner is priceless. The Kirkland one is AMAZING. Even my daughter who has tangly hair and hates to have it washed likes me to use it on her because then she doesn't have tangles. 

• Like 1

I agree with others that conditioner, and the right one, can make a big difference in how manageable hair is.  And at 9 I think a nice shoulder-length haircut is sometimes a blessing for a girl who's trying to take over her own showering/hygiene stuff but unable to take care of the really long hair well. Most of my friends cut their girls' hair short around age 8 or 9. 

I have tangly hair, not really curly hair, but it is really tangly.  I am always about one day at the beach away from dreadlocks.  Can she wear her hair in a bun under a swim cap? Maybe she could put some conditioner in before she gets into the pool as a layer of protection? (I never do those things, but I think they would help.  I also never use conditioner, because I have oily hair, and conditioner just weighs it down.)

I think longer hair is easier to care for.  If she can learn to make a tidy ponytail and a bun, she will be all set!  

Finding a good brush that she likes is important.  I like something like this http://www.amazon.com/Brush-Detangling-Shower-Colors-Vary/dp/B000L596FE/ref=sr_1_4_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1461690070&sr=8-4&keywords=hair+brush  

or this  http://www.amazon.com/Conair-Velvet-Touch-Paddle-Brush/dp/B001126XOI/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1461690070&sr=8-1&keywords=hair+brush

When my daughter was younger, I would condition her hair, then brush the conditioner in before rinsing - that really helped with tangles.

I've never heard of the hairgami, but it looks a little more complicated than my girls or I could handle!  I think a good scrunchie would do the trick.  She can make a nice ponytail with it, or she can twist her hair into a bun and secure it with the scrunchie.  The scrunchie is less likely to get tangled up or stuck in her hair, and pretty easy to manage.  It's also easy to carry around on your wrist if you want to start the day with your hair down and put it up later.  9 year olds were made for scrunchies!!

Scrunchie hair ideas straight from the 80's: http://www.self.com/flash/beauty-blog/2014/07/10-scrunchie-styles-wont-make-feel-stuck-90s/

• Like 1

This daughter does not know how to braid her own hair yet.  She can put it in a messy pony tail, but that's about it.  :P

Her sister is an aspiring hair stylist and could certainly help her, but that's only a partial solution.  :)

I think I will look into to the leave-in conditioner.

My kids don't have bathing caps.  It never occurred to me that a bathing cap would help, but now that sounds logical.  Perhaps I should add a couple bathing caps to my Amazon cart.

• Like 1

My kids don't have bathing caps. It never occurred to me that a bathing cap would help, but now that sounds logical. Perhaps I should add a couple bathing caps to my Amazon cart.

Umm if they are on a swim team,then they and everyone else, for the most part, should be wearing caps. Usually only little-littles and some boys skip the cap. Those boys will have crunchy hair soon enough,lol. Not bathing caps but swim caps. No wonder her hair is tangling!

Best prices can typically be found at swimoutlet.com or other swim retailers. There are 2 main types, silicon and latex. You might buy a couple of each to try as what you like is totally personal preference.

And yes you can hear the coach. Think Michael Phelps, etc.,lol.

Hth,

Georgia

• Like 1

Umm if they are on a swim team,then they and everyone else, for the most part, should be wearing caps. Usually only little-littles and some boys skip the cap. Those boys will have crunchy hair soon enough,lol. Not bathing caps but swim caps. No wonder her hair is tangling!

Best prices can typically be found at swimoutlet.com or other swim retailers. There are 2 main types, silicon and latex. You might buy a couple of each to try as what you like is totally personal preference.

And yes you can hear the coach. Think Michael Phelps, etc.,lol.

Hth,

Georgia

Yeah, they don't require caps on our team and most kids don't use them.  I guess we aren't very serious.  :P

Yeah, they don't require caps on our team and most kids don't use them.  I guess we aren't very serious.  :p

Well, you can just start a new trend and save everyone's hair in the process, lol.  Also you can swim faster and more efficiently (no hair getting in your face:) Get some cool caps and wear them! 

Note that little kids usually have their ears sticking out for a while, until they get used to them. This, I find oh, so adorable, lol. 

My youngest dd uses these for everyday wear http://www.swimoutlet.com/p/sporti-multi-color-silicone-swim-cap-22370/?q=1

Older dd wears these latex caps http://www.swimoutlet.com/p/speedo-solid-latex-swim-caps-2875/?q=1

But they also have a variety of caps with funny sayings and pictures, appropriate for many different swim occasions.  :glare:

Georgia

My friend's twins are on swim team and swim 4x per week.  They have very thick, wavy hair, past their shoulders, and it is always beautiful.  I asked her how she does it, and she swears by coconut oil.  They put it on their hair, then cover it with a swim cap.  After swimming, they wash it out.  It leaves their hair soft, shiny, and tangle free.

Combing it out to get tangles out before swimming will help a lot.  Wet hair is much harder to detangle than dry hair unless there is conditioner on it.  So I would have her brush it before swimming, then take a wide toothed comb into the shower and comb through when it has conditioner on it, and then it should be easy to comb through once the shower is over.  This is basically what I do with my own hair.  My little dd's hair is much more manageable about shoulder length.

• Like 1

Get this brush.  Get 2.  Get a dozen.  Seriously, the best brush in the world.  I have long (mid-butt) fine, stringy, thin hair.  It tangles if it sees a pillow on TV.  The Wet brush is the best brush, and least painful, I've ever used.

• Like 1

Yes to swim caps! My girls like to put their hair in a pony tail before putting on a swim cap (unless the hair is crazy long, this is enough to keep it in the cap). Then when they put their goggles on, the straps fit above and below the pony tail bump, helping the goggles stay in place. Works great.

But it takes a while for kids to be able to put swim caps on themselves. If she isn't ready to use it herself by camp time, drenching her hair with clean water before swimming will also protect it from chlorine. That's assuming a shower is available next to the pool, of course.

Get this brush.  Get 2.  Get a dozen.  Seriously, the best brush in the world.  I have long (mid-butt) fine, stringy, thin hair.  It tangles if it sees a pillow on TV.  The Wet brush is the best brush, and least painful, I've ever used.

LOL.  We have several of those.  That brush is about the only thing my kid has managed to keep track of.  She hates every other brush.  The wet brush she will usually tolerate.  But she still finds combing painful unless the hair is smooth to begin with.  :/  I thought she would grow out of it by now, but no.

I love swim caps.  My grandma lived in a building with a pool and had a lot of exotic ones covered in big rubber flowers and such.  We always wore them when we visited, even my boy cousin.

I think the ultimate in keeping kids hair neat is braids you can leave in, like microbraids or cornrows.  UNfortunatly my oldest will not do that and the younger has hair so fine it won't even stay in a ponytail.