Menu

That sad point when you consider giving away your youngest child's toys...

Ginevra

Well, of course, I don't mean the Nerf Darts. I sneak those darn things into the trash. I mean the Melissa & Doug puzzles, the wooden memory match game, the counting bears, the refrigerator letters. All of my kids used these and they are still so dear. Yet pointless. I do know a family that is collecting things for a refugee family, so I'm looking at these things that could bring a lot of joy to someone else. However...there's the shape puzzle with "parallelogram" - I mean really, that puzzle is sooooo adorable.

I don't really need the space, but I am conflicted about stay or go.

P.S. I have already given away or sold others that were nice but not my favorites; those remaining are my favorites.

• Like 3

Keep a few durable items for the eventual grandkids :-)  there is your excuse to hang on to a few items that mean the most to you.  Let the refugee family have the rest.

When I needed to do a mega-purge I had two teachers from the local (under funded) public preschool come by and take what they could use with the kids.

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 8

I tend to be thrilled to see things go, but if there are a few special ones, save them, just like you save your kids' most special artworks.  :)

Actually I have some outfits from my kids' birth country that I'm keeping.  I don't really have a plan for them, but I think I'll regret it someday if I part with them.  Like maybe my kids will want them for their kids.  So they stay.

• Like 1

Oh please don't do this to me. A good friend's oldest daughter is going to be a senior next year and I just realized that 7yo (2nd dd and 2 of 4 kids) has outgrown the little tykes table for doing copywork. My last girl to use it. I had to leave the room to cry.

Eta: and you know, my mom did save some lovely toys and beeeauuuutiful books from my childhood. My children now enjoy them. The Little People 1970s parking garage, incremental blocks with gorgeous color pictures of fairy tales on them. So don't feel bad about finding a way to keep the truly lovely things.

Edited by momacacia
  • Like 1

We kept a few special things for the grandkids. Thomas the Tank Engine stuff, Playmobil, American Girl dolls. And a toy cash register. We recently ran across the cash register and our two youngest spent a while talking about how much they loved that toy. And they really love seeing their nieces and nephew play with their old stuff. 

So yeah, keeping a few special things seems reasonable.   

• Like 1

I LOVED seeing my kids play with my old 1970's little people! My mom saved lots of stuff that was fun for my kids to play with. I am saving some things, but not as much as my mom did, we really used our toys and most of them were not really good enough to save. Books are the important thing. I have a book that my grandmother read to me.

• Like 1

I have a mental list if things I'm keeping fit grankids/visiting children. Trains, dinosaurs, LPS, Lincoln Logs. There is nothing wrong with keeping some special. stuff for later.

• Like 1

Ok, on my phone this title reads--the sad point when you consider giving away your youngest . That is completely cracking me up--I've had a very overwhelming month.

But I'm no help--haven't been able to weed out my youngest OR her toys.

Only when I step on his Legos at 6am. :D

• Like 1

Keep the counting bears! I've kept most of the math manipulatives, because I really love them. I do bring them out on a fairly regular basis to help illustrate questions on the dc's math contest practice tests. 

I'd keep them all. You'll easily be able to use all your favourite items when grandkids and other young children come over to visit. Keep them handy, so you can poke through them for fun, too. Hey, fridge magnets could be fun to use now and then for special messages to your family. 

• Like 1

Oh please don't do this to me. A good friend's oldest daughter is going to be a senior next year and I just realized that 7yo (2nd dd and 2 of 4 kids) has outgrown the little tykes table for doing copywork. My last girl to use it. I had to leave the room to cry.

Eta: and you know, my mom did save some lovely toys and beeeauuuutiful books from my childhood. My children now enjoy them. The Little People 1970s parking garage, incremental blocks with gorgeous color pictures of fairy tales on them. So don't feel bad about finding a way to keep the truly lovely things.

I had that parking garage!

• Like 2

My heart breaks over this. Just last week, nearly all the toys left our house. My youngest is 10yo, and hardly any toys get played with anymore. Toys that have been in my home for nearly 20 years are now in the donation pile on the garage. Brings a tear to my eye.

If they are in good shape, are there some you can keep for grandkids?
  • Like 1

Yup! Another one who's keeping some. There's an 8yr age span between our oldest and the second oldest...we saved some of her toys and her siblings used them quite a bit. I still have them, definitely not in as good shape as she left them, but she still wants me to keep them :)

• Like 1