Menu

Book a Week 2016 - BW14: The Voyage of the Beagle

Robin M

I finished Old Man's War by John Scalzi.  I really liked it.  Sort of a Starship Troopers, but with mature adults rather than frat boys. Interesting stuff about identity, what makes us us, as well as what makes humans human. Sort of disturbing acceptance of violence against other species as the only answer, but at the same time it doesn't shirk from the ethics at that, it examines it. And I like the main character, I'd go out on a date with him, even if he was green.

• Like 12

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why, VC?  ;)

Because! Wee Girl at last, at last, at last is reading books to herself! The dam has broken and she is making up for lost time: in the last few weeks she has burned through all the Magic Treehouses, the Elmer and the Dragon trilogy, all of Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's cures, and is on the fourth Oz book. I think she may have moved forward two grade levels in two months. Her curriculum now consists of reading, math, reading, cello, reading, reading, and reading. And she likes me to read next to her, so what else can I do?

• Like 23

The Way We Live Now is probably his best novel. The Barsetshire series is the better-loved; it may be the better series, but it's been a long time since I've read them. Either series needs good notes unless one is already pretty conversant with the structure, dynamics, and terminology of Victorian ecclesiastical (Barsetshire) or political (Palliser) life. I know you don't like dead-tree editions, but I do have both series sitting around in well-annotated Oxford paperbacks, needing a good home.

Thank you. I think I'll download samples of the ebooks and see if I'm interested first. If you find a home for them, please let them go. If I decide to accept your offer I'll let you know and see if they're still available. IOW, don't hold them just for me.

Murder on Cape Cod: A Jane Adams Mystery Ă¢â‚¬â€œ B.H. Gates 4/4/16 - Yikes! This author needs an editor/proof-reader. The book went on forever and was a chore to plod through. The murderer was not who I thought, so that part was done well. However, I really did not need to know what kind of doughnuts two of the characters ate.

Mistletoe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #1) Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Leslie Meier 4/5/16. Lovely first book in the 22-book series. I really enjoyed this read.

It can be tough to find a decent cozy. They're formulaic which isn't necessarily a bad thing, because readers of cozies have specific expectations. Still, I imagine it can be hard to write using a formula and still have a good story and characters with depth. 

As a fellow mystery (including cozy mystery) lover, I appreciate your reviews. I'll avoid the first one, and I downloaded Mistletoe Murder from the library last night after reading your post. I read the first chapter and it looks like it's going to be fun. I might have found a new cozy series. 

• Like 12

Because! Wee Girl at last, at last, at last is reading books to herself! The dam has broken and she is making up for lost time: in the last few weeks she has burned through all the Magic Treehouses, the Elmer and the Dragon trilogy, all of Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's cures, and is on the fourth Oz book. I think she may have moved forward two grade levels in two months. Her curriculum now consists of reading, math, reading, cello, reading, reading, and reading. And she likes me to read next to her, so what else can I do?

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:   and a  :party: for Wee Girl!   And her Mama.

• Like 11

:hurray:  :hurray: Wee Girl!

What an exciting time for her. It's just the beginning. And VC, enjoy your new found reading time.

• Like 11

#36: Mindsurge by Heather Sunseri, the third book of the Mindspeak trilogy-ish (there's a fourth book, but it's a separate story in the same world).  I couldn't put it down.  Good thing yesterday was my birthday so I could do whatever I wanted - which included reading this book most of the day.

• Like 13

Thank you. I think I'll download samples of the ebooks and see if I'm interested first. If you find a home for them, please let them go. If I decide to accept your offer I'll let you know and see if they're still available. IOW, don't hold them just for me.

It can be tough to find a decent cozy. They're formulaic which isn't necessarily a bad thing, because readers of cozies have specific expectations. Still, I imagine it can be hard to write using a formula and still have a good story and characters with depth. 

As a fellow mystery (including cozy mystery) lover, I appreciate your reviews. I'll avoid the first one, and I downloaded Mistletoe Murder from the library last night after reading your post. I read the first chapter and it looks like it's going to be fun. I might have found a new cozy series.

I know I should be responding to Ethel's original post but am too lazy to go back to page one to get it. I saw your comment on the series with the Cape Cod mystery and read with interest. It's a book thatI have cheched out on overdrive but never actually got around to reading. Something better always appeared. I won't check it out any longer.

I also think the cozy formula must be hard to write within. Since I have been on my cozy research assignment I have noticed that the ones I enjoy the most are the ones that veer a bit off formula.

Congratulations to Wee Girl!!!!! May I recommend the Droon Series to go with the Magic Tree House. Both my kids reall liked those. Original Box Car children too!

I told my mom your comment about the cat sitter. :lol: She agrees and is off to find some books so she can turn off the telly.

#36: Mindsurge by Heather Sunseri, the third book of the Mindspeak trilogy-ish (there's a fourth book, but it's a separate story in the same world).  I couldn't put it down.  Good thing yesterday was my birthday so I could do whatever I wanted - which included reading this book most of the day.

Happy Birthday!!!!!

Daisy Miller by Henry James is next. Apparently, my knowledge of American Literature is a little Twain heavy and James light. Who knew? Ă°Å¸Ëœâ€°

The dc's have been busy taking some Clep exams. They did the Analysing Lit one so no advice regarding study tools, other than REA guides are generally good. If you need to do the Humanities consider doing it next, that one had quite a bit of American Lit. So you will have a third of the exam prepared for.

• Like 12

And now for your Daily Darwin Dose:

"Considering the subterranean habits of the tucutuco, the blindness, though so common, cannot be a very serious evil; yet, it appears strange that any animal should possess an organ frequently subject to be injured. Lamarck would have been delighted with this fact, had he known it, when speculating (probably with more truth than usual with him) on the gradually acquired blindness of the Asphalax. . . "

It's good to see famous scientists aren't above a little catty commentary on their rivals!  :lol:

• Like 13

Finished Daisy Miller. I'm not quite sure what I was supposed to get out of it. So, I'm going to look at other people's opinions.

I just started Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead. It's not American but it's Short. Right now short feels like an admirable quality. That was one good thing about Daisy Miller.

Edited by Onceuponatime
  • Like 9

Finished Daisy Miller. I'm not quite sure what I was supposed to get out of it. So, I'm going to look at other people's opinions.

I just started Rosenceantz and Gulildenstern are Dead. It's not American but it's Short. Right now short feels like an admirable quality. That was one good thing about Daisy Miller.

I had the same feeling about Daisy Miller. My book group read it a few years ago.  I found it . . . strange. I liked it more after our discussion than I had before, but I'm back at this point to not liking it much. It's not my favorite Henry James, by any stretch.  But it was short!

• Like 9

I started another book off my cozy list, A Rather Lovely Inheritance by C. A. Belmond.https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/248889.A_Rather_Lovely_InheritanceSo far I am really enjoying it. I don't think I have read this particular book (first in the series) before but the main character, Penny Nichols, is very familiar.

I also read another book in the Ali Reynolds series by JA Jance. Moving Stakes was good. The storyline actually centered around Alzheimer's and elder abuse.

I enjoy reading series books in general and find Overdrive and my Kindle really great for rereading a series or filling in one that I discover. Many libraries are discarding older books or not replacing ones that are damaged which makes Overdrive the easiest way to access the entire series. Like Kathy I also simply find the weight of my kindles easier to deal with in general.

• Like 7

And now for your Daily Darwin Dose:

"Considering the subterranean habits of the tucutuco, the blindness, though so common, cannot be a very serious evil; yet, it appears strange that any animal should possess an organ frequently subject to be injured. Lamarck would have been delighted with this fact, had he known it, when speculating (probably with more truth than usual with him) on the gradually acquired blindness of the Asphalax. . . "

It's good to see famous scientists aren't above a little catty commentary on their rivals!  :lol:

In the same chapter, Darwin mentions encountering a capybara--which in turn reminded me of one of my son's favorite books from age six or seven:  Bill Peet's Capyboppy.  I think my son actually had a fantasy of having a capybara for a pet. Just what this household needed, a hundred pound rodent!  Which is why we ended up with a hamster.

• Like 8

In the same chapter, Darwin mentions encountering a capybara--which in turn reminded me of one of my son's favorite books from age six or seven: Bill Peet's Capyboppy. I think my son actually had a fantasy of having a capybara for a pet. Just what this household needed, a hundred pound rodent! Which is why we ended up with a hamster.

Whenever we see a capybara in a zoo that book comes up. They would still like one as a pet.

• Like 8

I just started Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead. It's not American but it's Short. Right now short feels like an admirable quality. That was one good thing about Daisy Miller.

I had the same feeling about Daisy Miller. My book group read it a few years ago.  I found it . . . strange. I liked it more after our discussion than I had before, but I'm back at this point to not liking it much. It's not my favorite Henry James, by any stretch.  But it was short!

I thought it was a sweet story but I had no expectations since it was my first Henry James. I didn't know what to expect from him. To me it was kind of like a Thomas Hardy story but with a better ending.

In the same chapter, Darwin mentions encountering a capybara--which in turn reminded me of one of my son's favorite books from age six or seven:  Bill Peet's Capyboppy.  I think my son actually had a fantasy of having a capybara for a pet. Just what this household needed, a hundred pound rodent!  Which is why we ended up with a hamster.

Aw, I remember reading that to ds. Oddly enough, it was the only Bill Peet book we/he read. That was back in our Five in a Row days.

• Like 9

Aw, I remember reading that to ds. Oddly enough, it was the only Bill Peet book we/he read. That was back in our Five in a Row days.

We read a bunch. Wump World and The Ant and the Elephant come to mind.   My niece really loved Bill Peet which is probably why I borrowed them from the library.

• Like 8

20.  The Atonement by Beverly Lewis

and....I am still working on History of the Renaissance World,and Passage to India.

19.  Big Girl Panties By Stephanie Evanovich

18.  Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold by Ellen O'Connell and a brief sequel called Rachel's Eyes.

17  Trolley Car Days by Ruth Kane 

16.  The Triumph of Wm. McKinley by Karl Rove    

15.  Defending Jacob By Wm. Landay

14. The Decision by Wanda Brunstetter

13.  Five Miles South of Peculiar by Angela Hunt

12.  The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

11. In the Time of the Butterflies Julia Alvarez   

10.  The Sound of Things Falling  by Juan Gabriel VĂƒÂ¡squez

9.  DIY Succulents:  From Placecards to Wreaths by Tawni Daigle

8.  The Scarlett Thread by Francine Rivers on audio.

7. Travels with Casey by Benoit Denizet-Lewis

6.  The Rescuer Suzanne Woods Fisher

5.  A Town Like Alice  by Nevil Shute

4.  Jackson Bog by Michael Witt.  
3.  Toward the Sunrise by Elizabeth Camden     

2.  Wonderland Creek by Lynn Austin

1.  Crucial Conversations by Patterson and Grenny

• Like 9

I decided to Read Origin of Species in lieu of Voyage of the Beagle. Why? Because it's been on my TBR list for 8 years, and I own it. It will take me awhile I'm sure. It's great "light reading" right before bed.  :lol:

What I always liked about Darwin right from the get go was that he gave Wallace credit for also coming up with the same (well darn close) theory. Darwin sat on his ideas for many many years, and when he found out about Wallace he knew it was time to publish. However, he made sure to point out Wallace's achievements as well. He did not try to hog up any scientific recognition. 

Maybe that was due to evolution being such a huge game changer in society that he didn't want to be the only one thrown under the bus and attacked. Or maybe he was a good person. 

• Like 11

Thank you, Rose for the introduction. I have been looking forward to reading The Voyage but still need to order. I will try and place my order today.

I am enjoying reading through the thread and hearing what everyone else is reading. Heretic  looks particularly interesting. I have been concerned about the Muslim world for a while and would be interested in learning more.

Last week I was able to finish two more books. The first is The British World  by Tim Jepson. It is an overview of British history from Nat Geo. I have been wanting to learn more about British history and thought a broad overview would be a great place to start. The second book I finished was The Abolition of Man...I am not a fan of C.S. Lewis. There, I said it. I have read that this is considered his best work by some. I have to agree as it is the only Lewis book I have ever been able to finish. I don't understand why he is so well regarded in homeschool circles. Anyway...

I am currently working through HotAW, the Cathecism of the Catholic Church, and The Kept.

• Like 8

I decided to Read Origin of Species in lieu of Voyage of the Beagle. Why? Because it's been on my TBR list for 8 years, and I own it. It will take me awhile I'm sure. It's great "light reading" right before bed.  :lol:

What I always liked about Darwin right from the get go was that he gave Wallace credit for also coming up with the same (well darn close) theory. Darwin sat on his ideas for many many years, and when he found out about Wallace he knew it was time to publish. However, he made sure to point out Wallace's achievements as well. He did not try to hog up any scientific recognition. 

Maybe that was due to evolution being such a huge game changer in society that he didn't want to be the only one thrown under the bus and attacked. Or maybe he was a good person. 

Probably both. But one of the things I enjoyed about the biographies I read is that they showed that Darwin really was a good person.  He really was trying to do the right thing, balancing his family and social responsibilities, his scientific responsibilities, and he was very aware of the effect that publishing Origin would have on the people in his life as well as the broader culture.  

Of course he worried about being trumped for credit, but he also did the very honorable thing of making sure Wallace got credit, too.  I think he was fundamentally an extremely decent person, and he grappled with the same doubts that many people do.  He was raised in a skeptical family in a generally believing world, so he was aware of the whole range of possibilities, but it seems that his own experience of grappling with the tragic illness and death of his young daughter, and grappling with the Problem of Evil more generally, that has as much to do with his opinions about the existence of God as his scientific discoveries did.  Neither he or Emma considered that his discoveries about natural selection were automatically incompatible with belief in God, he had other reasons for his agnosticism. 

• Like 10

Doesn't anyone want the BaW copy of Ajax Penumbra 1969?

This is my first experience with a shared BaW book so I don't know how I'm supposed to handle it. Please excuse my ignorance. Do I send it back to Once Upon a Time? Hold on to it and periodically remind the group I have it? Or pass it on to a local friend with the stipulation that it must continue to be given away? 

If you want it, and aren't on the BaW address list you can either add yourself to the list (I think you will PM Robin) or you can PM me with your address.

• Like 8

This is my first experience with a shared BaW book so I don't know how I'm supposed to handle it. Please excuse my ignorance. Do I send it back to Once Upon a Time? Hold on to it and periodically remind the group I have it? Or pass it on to a local friend with the stipulation that it must continue to be given away?

If you want it, and aren't on the BaW address list you can either add yourself to the list (I think you will PM Robin) or you can PM me with your address.

I don't need it back. Ă°Å¸ËœÅ 

• Like 7

Yay, Wee Girl! And good job to mom VC too!

I usually remind the group once or twice. If nobody answers, I usually will:

a) surprise mail it to someone anyway (lol) -- either w/in the BaW group or other friends/family

b) pass it on to someone irl

c) donate it to the library

I liked an earlier statement that short seems to be an asset. I'm stopping The Story of My Assassins. I do like it, but it's just too long & unwieldy for me at this juncture in my life. (It doesn't help that it feels like I've been reading it for a long time & am still not at the halfway mark. At this point, I'm just avoiding it.) And, I've got to tackle the Darwin stuff which will probably be more than hard enough for me (when my brain is needing fluff mode 24/7 at this point).

I did have a bit of downtime yesterday & started reading a non-fiction book: Narconomics by Tom Wainwright. It's interesting & fits really well with all the other cartel reading I've done. I'm definitely not an economist, but this is easy to read/understand & is entertaining too.

9781610395830_custom-c3b028c8eda855ff6b3

In the chapter titled "The People Problems of a Drug Cartel", Wainwright describes prisons being a recruiting ground for gangs/future cartel members...

Getting into gangs also has to be made reasonably difficult, in order to sift recruits from the time wasters. Like other membership organizations, from golf clubs to college fraternities, gangs impose an up-front cost on new members, in the form of a payment or initiation ritual. (In one of the most harrowing initiation ordeals, new disciples of La Familia Michoacana, a bloodthirsty Mexican drug cartel, are reportedly forced to read the works of John Eldredge, an American author of Christian self-help books.)

Not quite the hazing/initiation ritual I was expecting...

:001_huh: :lol:

• Like 8

Wee Girl at last, at last, at last is reading books to herself!

Congratulations!!

What happy news for both Wee Girl and for you.

... yesterday was my birthday so I could do whatever I wanted ...

a belated Happy  birthday  to you.

I think my son actually had a fantasy of having a capybara for a pet. Just what this household needed, a hundred pound rodent! 

One wonders if the capybara was the model for ROUS in The Princess Bride.  In any event, the idea of a hundred pound rodent sends shivers down my spine!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 10

I'm home again after a good two and a half weeks away. My stay with my mother went much better than both of us had anticipated; however, she is still facing challenges, both physical and as a result of ageing.

On my travels yesterday, I read Anne Bishop's Daughter of the Blood (Black Jewels, Book 1); this is a far more complex and dark story than her more recent Novel of the Others series.  This was her first published book. 

There is a good review here which you'd do well to read to see if this is for you.  I'm dithering about whether or not to continue on with the trilogy.

"The Dark Kingdom is preparing itself for the fulfillment of an ancient prophecy the arrival of a new Queen, a Witch who will wield more power than even the High Lord of Hell himself. But this new ruler is young, and very susceptible to influence and corruption; whoever controls her controls the Darkness. And now, three sworn enemies begin a ruthless game of politics and intrigue, magic and betrayal...and the destiny of an entire world is at stake...."

I also finished the contemporary romance Hold On (The 'Burg Series Book 6) by Kristen Ashley which I enjoyed.  It has strong adult content.

"Since she was young, Cher Rivers knew she was not the kind of girl who got what she wanted. A girl who could hope. A girl who could dream. She knew a happily ever after just wasn't in the cards for her.

In love for years with the last bastion of the 'burg's eligible bachelors, Garrett Merrick, Cher worked hard at making him laugh. Being one of the guys. Having him in her life the only way she could. All this knowing he was in love with another woman.

The Merrick Family is known for loving deep. So when Cecelia Merrick was murdered, it marked the Merricks in a way none of them recovered. Both Cecelia's children found love. Both turned their backs on it. But Garrett "Merry" Merrick knew in his soul the woman he divorced years ago was the one for him.

Until the night when Cher took Garrett's back and things changed. The Merrick family loves deep. They also protect fiercely. And with his eyes finally open, Garrett sees the woman who truly is for him and he goes after her."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

I read Charles and Emma a couple of years ago, and really enjoyed it.

I haven't been reading as much as I would like this spring; I've had very little free time.  I'm rarely posting on the weekly thread, but here's what I've read since I last posted. I'm still reading mostly escapist books.

16. The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson (listened to with my children over a cross-country trip)

17. The Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula LeGuin 

18. The Gluten Lie by Alan Levinovitz

19. Spark Joy by Marie Kondo

20. The Cold Dish by Craig Johnson

21. Hell is Empty by Craig Johnson

22. Spirit of Steamboat by Craig Johnson

23. Dry Bones by Craig Johnson

24. Here's to the Ladies: Stories of the Frontier Army by Carla Kelly

• Like 10

I'll take it!!!

Great! I'll get it in the mail tomorrow or Saturday. 

I also recently bought some postcards that I hope to send out soon. After all, that address list was originally for a postcard exchange and I've received some lovely postcards from several of you. :)

• Like 8

Great! I'll get it in the mail tomorrow or Saturday. 

I also recently bought some postcards that I hope to send out soon. After all, that address list was originally for a postcard exchange and I've received some lovely postcards from several of you. :)

I didn't take you up on the offer initially because I am guilty of not getting postcards and books out to people -- I just mailed a postcard to Robin this morning that I found while preparing taxes.  It was written out, addressed and stamped, but got mixed up in a pile of papers!  

But thank you, and if the book doesn't get out for a few days, weeks or months, I TOTALLY understand! 

• Like 9

I have more books on my Goodreads currently reading list than I'm actually reading. Here's what I'm really reading now.

Non-fiction

Natural Causes: Death, Lies, and Politics in America's Vitamin and Herbal Supplement Industry - Still working my way through this dead tree library book. I have just a week left and although I can probably renew it I'm trying to finish before it's due back. 

Battling the Gods: Atheism in the Ancient World - I think someone here brought this up at some point (Rose? Momninja?) because I don't really know where I heard about it. It's another dead tree library book. That makes three dead tree books for me in recent weeks, probably the most I've read in 2 years or more.

The Voyage of the Beagle - no link or description necessary. :D

Fiction 

The Puppy Proposal,  by Katie Meyer - WTM's own ktgrok. I just couldn't get through the other romance I was reading, Wickedly Charming, but I still wanted to read a romance. I decided to give hers a try and am actually enjoying it quite a bit so far. 

Mistletoe Murder - This is the cozy mystery that Ethel Mertz recommended. The author's name sounds familiar so I either noticed this series before or someone here mentioned it. Either way, I never got around to trying it. So far, so good.

Edited by Lady Florida
  • Like 11

Why did Darwin wait so long to publish his theory? QuammenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s discussion is enlightening, but for an even more intimate portrait from a different perspective, read Charles and Emma: The DarwinĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Leap of Faith by Deborah Heiligman.  

This was a lovely book that introduced me to a woman I now deeply admire: Emma Darwin.  As much a biography of Emma as of Charles and their life together, I was fascinated to read about EmmaĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s quite liberal and open upbringing and education.  The DarwinĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s were cousins, and knew each other all their lives. They were aware of their compatabilities, and a marriage between them was natural and expected, but they were also aware of a potential incompatibility: Emma was a woman of deep faith, strengthened after the death of a beloved older sister, while Charles lived with doubt about the existence and the nature of God, and wrestled with the problem of evil his whole life, especially after the tragic deaths of several of his children.  

But the DarwinĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s made the Ă¢â‚¬Å“leap of faithĂ¢â‚¬ and formed a unique and amazing partnership. DarwinĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s reluctance to publish his theory was partly due to his own nature, his perfectionism, and his desire to present an unassailable case, but it also stemmed from a reluctance to cause pain to his wife. He didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t think her faith would be challenged, but he did worry that she would be pained by attacks on him. 

I think itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s safe to say Darwin wouldnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t have been the man he was without Emma at his side.  She was his first reader and critic, and the example of how they conversed, with respect and love, about their theological differences was inspiring. I loved reading about their home, their children, their parenting philosophies.  And I loved reading about Emma and her life after Charles. I can remember just where I was as I listened to the end of this book: driving, tears streaming down my cheeks, thinking that in Emma, I had a role model IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d love to live up to.

Link to week 13 

This sounds really good, I put in a request at the library. I so LOVE being back in a large library system! Our last one was tiny, and only had maybe 30% of books I ever wanted.

In case anyone doesn't know amazon prime give you one free book a month. It's called kindle first and they are new books picked by their editors. The new selections start the first of the month and you have till the end of the month to get your book before it changes. Here are the April selections. I haven't picked my book yet I'm leaning towards The Eagle Tree. 

I didn't know about this, thank you for sharing! I chose The Eagle Tree, looking forward to reading it.

I just finished The Widow's War. It's about a woman in colonial New England who loses her husband and finds herself at the mercy of her uncharitable SIL. Legally she has access to 1/3 of her husbands's estate, and she wants to continue her life on her own, but it's just not a done thing in her time/culture. I really liked the writing, the author does a great job of describing the setting and daily life, but the end feels a little off to me. I just can't imagine a woman of those times making the decisions she does. Good read overall.

• Like 10

I finished A Rather Lovely Inheritance by CA Belmond ahttps://www.goodreads.com/book/show/248889.A_Rather_Lovely_Inheritanceand it was lovely. A nice smooth read into another world. I found it from a British cozy list but this one doesn't qualify in a traditional sense at all. The story moves between France and London so not even really British! Anyway it was a bit more of a romantic mystery than a typical mystery.

The main character is an American historical researcher working on a movie set in France when she receives a call from her mother that an elderly great aunt has died and named both of them in her will. The daughter needs to represent both of them for the reading of the will in London. Off the heroine goes to unravel her British family's secrets. The only negatives were a couple of inappropriate swear words that were a bit jarring and unnecessary.

I need to finished Staked before it disappears from my kindle. I am hoping my requests for more of Belmond's books will go ghrough quickly. Totally looking forward to the next one.

• Like 8

I have more books on my Goodreads currently reading list than I'm actually reading. Here's what I'm really reading now.

Battling the Gods: Atheism in the Ancient World - I think someone here brought this up at some point (Rose? Momninja?) because I don't really know where I heard about it. It's another dead tree library book. That makes three dead tree books for me in recent weeks, probably the most I've read in 2 years or more.

That was me! I'm reading it right  now too. Slowly, but really enjoying it. I've made it through the section on Classical Greece.  The chapter called "Battling the God" was my favorite so far - really interesting discussion of mythology and the form and role of Greek religion in the Homeric age. Also interesting discussion of how the great tragedians portrayed the gods. Especially interesting as I was reading it while listening to Vandiver's Greek Tragedy lectures. On to the Hellenistic period!  I hope you like it too, Kathy, I'm not sure where I got the recommendation but I suspect it was from a link posted here.

• Like 8

Let's see, since my last post I finished the Belgariad, Books #1-3 of David Eddings' series. 

This is my current audio book!  It's been a couple years since my last reread, and I figured this non-auditory person could keep up with a story I know so well  ;)   I'm still waiting for my girls to read it.  :glare:

Congratulations to Wee Girl!!!!! May I recommend the Droon Series to go with the Magic Tree House.

:iagree: Aly loved the Droon series after she finished Magic Tree House!

This is my fly by post for the week!  We are deep into dress rehearsals and performances begin a week from today.  :scared:  I also have come down with a cold or allergies or whatever this crud may be  :thumbdown:  so I'm feeling pretty crappy!

I'm currently listening to Queen of Sorcery and reading Mere Christianity (still), The Hawk and the Jewel, and World War Z.  I'm feeling a little ADHD with all the other stuff I have going on and can't settle in.  

• Like 8

I started reading '101 Dalmatians' to dd tonight. Three chapters in, she says it is better than the movie.

Ha. Told you so. 

I read another five books this week.

The Moving Finger (Miss Marple #4) Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Agatha Christie 4/2/16 - Alas, my s/hero, Miss Marple did not make an appearance until the very end of the book and, then, she was only there briefly to solve the mystery. Not one of my favorites of that series...

Snow in April Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Rosamunde Pilcher 4/3/16 - Loved this quick read. I read it while it was snowing ... in ... April.

A Cafecito Story: El Cuento del Cafecito Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Julia Alvarez and Bill Eichner 4/3/16 - Everyone who drinks coffee - or knows someone who drinks coffee - should read this book. It is a lovely story which will convince the reader how utterly important it is to drink shade grown, free-trade coffee. I read it in half an hour and the story will stay with me for years.

Murder on Cape Cod: A Jane Adams Mystery Ă¢â‚¬â€œ B.H. Gates 4/4/16 - Yikes! This author needs an editor/proof-reader. The book went on forever and was a chore to plod through. The murderer was not who I thought, so that part was done well. However, I really did not need to know what kind of doughnuts two of the characters ate.

Mistletoe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #1) Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Leslie Meier 4/5/16. Lovely first book in the 22-book series. I really enjoyed this read.

I'm now waiting for a bunch of library books to come in to our branch library. I may download the next Lucy Stone mystery via Overdrive. I love Overdrive.

Wish I could 'like' posts by moderators, but I shall do it the round-about way. Consider your posts 'liked'! :D

• Like 8

This is my fly by post for the week!  We are deep into dress rehearsals and performances begin a week from today.  :scared:  I also have come down with a cold or allergies or whatever this crud may be  :thumbdown:  so I'm feeling pretty crappy!

I hope that you'll feel better soon, Angel.

Last night I began Patricia Briggs' Fire Touched: A Mercy Thompson Novel.  This is definitely not a stand alone novel; in fact, I'm somewhat regretful that I've forgotten so many details from the last book (the perils of reading quickly but not retaining overmuch).  Nonetheless, I am enjoying the book.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

So, I'm reading Rozencrantz and Guildenstern are dead. After I get through the first act, I realize you can't just pick this up and read it, you have to have context. I read a synopsis of Hamlet to refresh my memory. Then I read a little background on the play, because the book I have contains no forward. Now it makes a lot more sense. Here we have a "behind the scenes" story. What were Rozencrantz and Guildenstern doing backstage between appearances on stage? That's quite imaginative. In fact you could ask yourself that question about a lot of characters in plays and books. Just what are they doing when you are not aware of them? Ramona Quimby would probably have one answer.Ă°Å¸Ëœâ€°

P.S. It doesn't end there. Now I will have to watch Hamlet and Rosencrantz and Guildenstern back to back. Apparently some critics believe this is the best way to appreciate the humor in the latter.

Edited by Onceuponatime
  • Like 9

I hope that you'll feel better soon, Angel.

Last night I began Patricia Briggs' Fire Touched: A Mercy Thompson Novel. This is definitely not a stand alone novel; in fact, I'm somewhat regretful that I've forgotten so many details from the last book (the perils of reading quickly but not retaining overmuch). Nonetheless, I am enjoying the book.

Regards,

Kareni

That is the latest one right? I am on the wait list for it. I need to read a couple more books in that series first.

Angel, Hope you feel better soon!

• Like 6

I don't know if anyone besides Stacia and I read Gnarr!, but there was an opinion piece yesterday about how the Panama Papers scandal could possibly lead to a Pirate Party majority in Iceland's Parliament. I can't link to the article because the site is without a doubt political with a specific slant. However, if you're curious about the theory and you know who Markos Moulitsas is, you can go to his site and probably find it with a search for Panama Papers or Iceland, or both. 

If you haven't read Gnarr!, it's a quick but interesting read. I've never disliked a book Stacia recommended, even when it was from a genre I don't normally like. :)

• Like 8

Sending good thoughts for a quick recovery to Angel.

Today's Darwin quote:

Amongst the Batrachian reptiles, I found only one little toad (Phryniscus nigricans), which was most singular from its color.  If we imagine, first, that it had been steeped in the blackest ink and then, when dry, allowed to crawl over a board, freshly painted with the brightest vermilion, so as to color the soles of its feet and parts of its stomach, a good idea of its appearance will be gained.  If it had been an unnamed species, surely it ought to have been called diabolicus, for it is a fit toad to preach in the ear of Eve.

As Rose noted earlier, Darwin is quite poetic.  His writing is very accessible should anyone feel intimidated.

One thought that crossed my mind this morning, as Darwin was contrasting the arid African landscapes home to large mammals and the lush South American landscapes home to small mammals, was that the tectonic plate theory had not yet been speculated.  One can see the scientific mind at work constantly though, comparing and contrasting, planting seeds and making constant connections.

• Like 9

I didn't take you up on the offer initially because I am guilty of not getting postcards and books out to people -- I just mailed a postcard to Robin this morning that I found while preparing taxes.  It was written out, addressed and stamped, but got mixed up in a pile of papers!  

But thank you, and if the book doesn't get out for a few days, weeks or months, I TOTALLY understand! 

:hurray:   

We're popular this week. Yesterday I noticed a dramatic uptick in hits on the 52 Books blog.  Over 500 in the past three days. Just discovered Susan did a podcast for The Art of Manliness website (don't you just love that name)  about the classical education you never had. They included a link to 52 Books Well Educated Mind booklist!   :coolgleamA:

• Like 11

Yesterday I finished the second book in Anthony Trollope's Palliser novels, Phineas Finn, my increasingly addictive substitute for actual politics this year. And possibly for the next four years, as it looks like my choices for governing the nation will be limited to people I wouldn't trust to feed my cat over the weekend. But we won't go there. 

Best situation summation I've seen so far. Having trouble resisting the urge to share this. :D

• Like 13